Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Yesterday I rotated the tires on my 2008 EX-L for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised at how easily the lug nuts came off. This being my first new car, I've previously only dealt with wheels installed by service stations. The lug nuts weren't loose by any means. But I didn't need to use a cheater bar or stand on the lug wrench. According to the manual, the nuts need 80 ft-lbs of torque. This goes to show how most service stations way over-tighten the nuts.
  • gkelmgkelm Posts: 9
    Re: the XM issue...just took an EX-L V6 Coupe home for an overnight test...XM cut out on me on the way home too. Came back in restart. Concerning...I'm all ears.

Otherwise, really nice car.
  • I know others have posted in the past on this problem, but I was wondering if anyone found a solution.

I own an '09 Accord with around 2000 miles on it. I have noticed the brakes squeak when I lightly press on the brakes or brake at low speeds. I took it in to the dealer and they said that they have seen this problem on several new accords and that at this time there is no fix for the problem, but that Honda is working on it. They said it had something to do with the humidity, which I don't buy since its January and 40 degrees out.

The Honda website acknowledges this problem and basically says deal with it "because it cannot be eliminated" Is this really their only answer? The brakes shouldn't make noise on a brand new car.

If anyone has found a solution to this problem I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance, this forum is always very helpful.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    They said it had something to do with the humidity, which I don't buy since its January and 40 degrees out.

Humidity can be high, regardless of temperature. It is simply a measurement of how saturated with moisture the air is. In the summertime, it can be 90 degrees with a dewpoint of 75, and the humidity will be lower than if it were 40 degree outside with a dewpoint of 35. Sure, 90 over 75 feels more "sticky", but the air is actually less saturated, or "humid."

I'm from Alabama and am studying meteorology in grad school; I know humidity! ;)

Not sure how this applies accurately to your problem, but thought I'd share.

Best,

TheGrad
  • I had the same issue on my '08 Accord, right from the time it was new. The brakes would squeak in all types of weather, even after the car was warmed up. I brought it back to the dealer at about 2000 miles. Naturally, they didn't squeak when the mechanic took it for a drive, but I insisted the brakes made noise. They had a supervisor ride with me, but he talked the entire time and did not hear it when it did squeak. (He said squeaking is normal when first starting the car due to brake dust, but I kept telling him it happens at any time.) When Honda received my customer service survey that said how unsatisfied I was, they arranged for me to bring it in again, to the same dealer. This time, both front and rear brakes were replaced, no questions asked. Problem solved.

Not to be corny, but in this case the squeaky wheel really did get the grease, and then some!
  • chis1chis1 Posts: 2
    I took my car into the dealer for my 2008 I4 with MT and 6000 miles on it. I was driving home and the oil light came on. Pulled the dipstick, didn't register, put 1 quart in and came to the bottom notch on the stick. They did a check for leaks, found nothing. According to them, not sure if I believe them, they don't need to check for compression because sensors do all of that. No fault codes appeared on the car. They talked with Honda Engineering. Told the dealer to do an oil analysis, they found nothing wrong. Conclussion was they think the factory didn't fill the engine all the way with oil and burning 1 quart over 6000 miles is acceptable. I'm skeptical. I do remember checking the oil at the end of the summer (with about 4000 miles on it) and it checked fine. So we shall see. This discussion on oil consumption I do find interesting. The dealer wants me to bring in the car at 100, 500 and 1000 miles for them to check the oil. After that if I ever need to put oil in it, they want me to bring it by so they can document it and fill it. I find this crazy, never have had to do that with a new car. Have a 2001 odyssey and it hardly consumed ANY oil over 5000 miles. My wife and I love this accord though. I personally think I have a lemon engine, I'll just need to prove it.
  • gyushergyusher Posts: 67
    The dealer wants me to bring in the car at 100, 500 and 1000 miles for them to check the oil

Work with them. Had you not had the problem most likely they wouldn't want you in there so often for that. . . Chances are nothing is hurt. I remember a new pickup I had over heated and started to rattle when pulling my bass boat when it had around 5,000 miles on it. I checked the oil before leaving home and it was full then 40 miles later it took 2 quarts to get it to the add line. . . I was pissed that Ford would do nothing. Long story short that was the best truck I ever had. . . 250,000 miles later it still ran like a top. . . I know not why. . .
  • chis1chis1 Posts: 2
    That's funny! You're right, it could be one of those things and we shall see. But, I'm working with them. I'm fortunate in that the Honda dealer by me is actually pretty reputable (at least their service department is). I got the car home, let it sit for 1/2 hour and then I checked the oil. It was above the top mark, overfilled....not sure if that was intentional by them or not.
  • jam1000jam1000 Posts: 182
    Does it happen in the same spot repeatedly? If so, it's probably a satellite (or interference with the satellite) problem rather than a problem with the car.
  • pitt3pitt3 Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with my EXL V6 coupe (18,000 miles). I have to restart the car to get the XM back working. Happens at any location, about once a month.
  • I've had the same problem with my new 2009 V6 coupe on a couple occasions. The XM is still displaying everything correctly (song titles, etc.), just no sound. Restarting the car fixed it, but nothing else I tried did.
  • jrj620jrj620 Posts: 2
    I was reading in one of the car magazines (Motor Trend or Car and Driver) that in their long term test car (2008 Accord V6) that they needed to replace the rear break pads at about 15000 miles. Can this be true? Has anyone else experienced this very early replacement?
    I had a 2003 Accord V6 and I needed to replace the rear pads at 40,000 and thought that was early.
  • I've got an 08 accord with 22,000 miles on it and the brakes are working great so far. My previous accord was an 04 model and it went about 40,000 miles before it needed brakes all around.
  • Several times while driving at 65mph, this accord has stalled. When I try to accelerate, there is a hesitation/stall for about 2-3 seconds then it jumps and jerks then finally speeds up. The hesitation/stall feels like the motor died but it doesn't. I've tried gas at different stations and it still continues. I've also noticed if I use 87 octane, this car just gets horrible gas mileage and very little power. The book calls for 87 octane. I've put in 89-90 octane and it runs better with increased power and mileage but it too stalls out for several seconds at various times. Anyone know what is causing this?
  • jhinscjhinsc Posts: 397
    I would take it to Honda service asap. It appear the electronics of your drive-by-wire system may not be working properly. Any codes or lights on the dash indicating any problems?
  • Hi All,

I wanted to post an update about my brake noise problem and inform everyone of some information I received yesterday.

I bought a '09 Accord in December and ever since 2000 miles (3100 now) the brakes have made the same horrible high-pitched noise. I have taken my car to Honda 4 times now. The first time they checked the problem but could not find anything. The second time they replaced the front pads and resurfaced the rotors. This stopped the problem for a day, then the noise came back with a vengance, louder and more often.

I opened a case with Honda's custmomer care line which was really no help because they were getting all of their information from me or the dealership. The service manager at my dealership would never ride in the car with me, saying that he trusted me and didn't need to hear it. The third time I took it to Honda I had a technician ride with me and finally he heard the noise. The technician told me that the noise is a result of a defective brake pad and that replacing more parts will not do anything. Further, the dealership could not get authorization to replace more parts.

Not satisfied with this answer, I scheduled a meeting with Honda's district service representative, who I met with yesterday. He and the dealership's service manager rode in the car with me and the noise was worse than ever. The district rep immediately gave authorization to replace the rotors and I was hopeful that this would solve the problem.

A few hours later the district represetative calls back and says that replacing the rotors will not solve the problem. He said that he just got off the phone with Honda's engineering department in Torrance, CA and said that they have come up with a fix for the defective brake pad and that now they are in the process of working with their suppliers to get the new pad out the door.

I had told him that the customer care line had suggested that I call the BBB to initiate that stage of my complaint and that I've looked into the state lemon law and if I had to I would file suit. He maintained that if I gave them a few weeks he was confident that they would have replacement pads that would solve the problem.

I don't know if others have heard this story before or if it really is true. I am trying to get confirmation of this from the customer line as we speak. I would suggest that for those that have not complained to their dealership yet to do so in the hopes that more complaints will encourage Honda to deal with this issue sooner if they haven't already.

As stated numerous times on here before, it is completely unacceptable for a brand new car to make this kind of noise, not to mention sounding worse than my 1994 Accord that sits in my garage.
  • When my car stalls, it never shows any codes or lights anywhere. I have also noticed a decrease in fuel mileage too. This 08 accord does not run nor have the mileage that my 04 accord had. Both are v6's. The 08 accord sputters from time to time when I floor it. I've tried different brands of gas, fuel treatments, etc and nothing seems to help. This 08 accord also has that ECO engine thing that starts out using 6 cylinders then down to 04 cylinders then 3 cylinders. I hate it. The car jerks back and forth from time to time as it decides what cylinders to run and how many.

GM tried this and it failed...why does Honda think it will work? The actions are the same on boht the GM and the Honda. Both performed horrible and got poor fuel mileage.
    This 08 accord also has that ECO engine thing that starts out using 6 cylinders then down to 04 cylinders then 3 cylinders. I hate it. The car jerks back and forth from time to time as it decides what cylinders to run and how many.

GM tried this and it failed...why does Honda think it will work?

Um, whatdya mean? Surely you aren't comparing the 2009 technology to the Cadillac engine of the early eighties.

They currently have a "Displacement on Demand" system in their 5.3L V8 engine, as well as in their 3.9L V6. I don't recall hearing of "horrible performance" or "poor fuel mileage" for their size. Chrysler's Hemi uses something similar.
  • I've got several friends that have this same V6 08 Accord and they too have told me they are feeling jerks when the car activates the ECO. They too told me their performance is very lacking and their gas mileage is not as high as it was on earlier models.

My next car will definitely not be a Honda or some other car that utilizes this ECO stuff. I'll never buy another GM and will definitely not buy a Ford or Chrysler/Dodge product.

Had the salesman told me that this car had this ECO on it at the time I was thinking about buying it, I would have gone shopping for a different manufacturer. GD, I hate this ECO crap!
    You didn't test drive it?