Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Yes I test drove it but I never let the engine just sit at a certain speed for this test drive. I ran the crap out of it since I have a heavy foot and I wanted to make sure it had some power and cornering ability. Thus, the salesman should have told me about this crappy eco feature as I was testing it and talking about it with him. I asked all sorts of questions but if one doesn't know or is not aware of this ECo thingie, then it is impossible to ask questions about it. I will never do business with that dealership or with Honda again. If I wanted crap, then I would have bought GM, Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, or Mercedes Benz.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I asked all sorts of questions but if one doesn't know or is not aware of this ECo thingie, then it is impossible to ask questions about it.

With all due respect, Honda spent a lot of time and money advertising VCM beginning with the 08 Accord (it was used previously on other models). Brochures, Honda's website, advertising... it was everywhere. Hard to believe you missed it. :confuse:
  • I'd recommend giving Honda a chance to fix this. Sure, I wouldn't be happy about it, but at least they've identified a problem and are willing to address it, unlike the poor folks who have VCM/ECO issues.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I respectfully agree with tallman. I imagine it is right on the window-sticker, too (powertrain information is usually the first thing listed). Spending that much, I'd read as much literature on the vehicle (reviews, the sticker, brochures) as possible.

Can't go back in time though, so best of luck; sorry about the situation.
  • I am in the market for a new car and was seriously thinking about an 09 Accord EX-L (V-6). However, today I heard a (potentially) disturbing comment about high oil consumption. Can anyone tell me if this is, in fact, a problem? I'm aware that new engines have a 'breaking in' period, but I don't know for how long this period should last. I'm hoping to keep whatever car I purchase for a very long time, but it has to be known for relatively low maintenance costs, upkeep, and reliability. Comments???
  • My 08 EX-L V6 has been very reliable, very low maintenance cost and has required the addition of 2 quarts of oil over and above regular oil changes. The Maintenance Minder suggests oil changes based on my driving style, every 7,500 miles and I've had to add a quart of oil @ 6,000 miles & 12,000 miles. 16,500 miles currently on the odometer.
  • FYI, The salesman and Honda should have given me some sort of brochure or informed me of this crappy eco thingie. They didn't offer and they sure as heck did not advertise it and have yet to advertise the fact that ECO exists on any models. I had seat problems in the beginning and tried to get honda to help fix it but they more or less laughed at me. So screw HONDA!
  • There have been television commercials touting Honda's VCM, it's mentioned in all reviews dealing with the V6 versions, the brochure from the dealership mentions it etc,etc. A little due diligence on your part before shelling out $25-28,000 on your Honda or any other car, was in order. Having said that, VCM is noticeable and by varying degrees in different cars. A good 6 speed auto tranny would have probably returned as much if not more fuel savings and a shifting transmission going thru it's progression of gears is far more acceptable than the on again off again surging that VCM produces.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I'm not going to discuss the merits or otherwise of VCM. Some are unhappy with it (there's a VCM thread around here describing the complaints) while others have no problems.

However, for those who might read these messages, I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression about Honda hiding the fact that the Accord V6 comes with VCM. They are quite proud of it, in fact.

On their website-- When you click on the Accord, you get this page:
    Honda Accord
    Under the heading "Powerful", VCM is the second bullet.

The brochure has a whole page (p.11) dedicated to VCM and how it works. It has pictures and everything.
    Accord Brochure

Fortunately, people here have great forums to help them to do additional research besides what any carmaker might offer through advertising, what is on their website, or through written info.
  • I've yet to see any Honda commercials revealing the VCM crap. FYI, my 08 honda has a 5speed auto...not a 6 speed auto. It is not as responsive as the 04 and it does not handle as well as the 04 nor does it get as good mileage as the 04 accord v6. Screw Honda!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Sorry, I fail to see how it's Honda's fault for not knowing what you were buying, or for taking a through test-drive. They advertise their VCM everywhere, as tallman pointed out. Also, if its on the window-sticker, it should be common-sense that the salesperson shouldn't have to itemize each particular detail listed there.
  • jhinscjhinsc Posts: 397
    We get the fact you're unhappy about the "eco" thing, but how is it Honda's fault that you didn't know about it? They make no attempt to hide it, in fact they advertise on their websites and in print ad's and on sites like Edmunds and others. It existed in the previous model Accord Hybrid, the previous and current Pilot, the current Odyssey, and now the current model Accord. :confuse:
  • Branders, thank you very, very much for posting your information here. My wife and I leased an '09 Accord back in September and have had the exact same problem with the brakes since November. After two trips to Honda, they did the same thing with rotors and pads that you described and it was only a temp fix (also as you described). At this point we're fed up and plan to follow your lead in contacting the Service Manager at our dealership and ultimately the District Manager as you did. How did you manage to get the District Manager's contact info by the way?

Once again thank you for posting your dilemma and if I have any luck in finding/gaining a solution, I'll certainly share it.
  • edk57edk57 Posts: 6
    My 2008 Accord EX-L V6 burns and consumes one quart of Oil per 1000 mile. There Technical experts state that is Normal. Also, the brakes on this car has a squeaky noise when cold and the dashboard get filled with white residue from the heat/AC vents. I definitely don’t recommend this car to anyone.
  • Regarding the oil consumption, your technical experts are plain WRONG. I have the same problem, I have escalated this issue with Honda America, Area Honda Rep and Dealer Service Mgr. The process is you need to request an oil consumption test for several 1000 mile cycles and if your car uses 1000 quart per thousand or more they must FIX IT. My car is going in to have the short block replaced today. It appears to be a ring problem on a few motors since only a few customers have had this experience. Honda acceptable specifications for oil consumption are 1 qt per 1000 but close to that they must do something for you. Finally I have noticed that the older my oil is the more it consumes, after a oil change it degrades from 1200m per qt, to <1000m per quart so you have to do at least 3 or 4 thousand mile tests with the same oil in place.
    Roger
  • edk57edk57 Posts: 6
    Thank you for a very helpful reply. I will make my dealer re-do the oil consumption test for several thousands miles as you recommended, and I will let them know that Honda is fixing engines due to ring problems... please post any future progress on your engine and I&#146;ll do the same. Again thanks a million.
  • keitha3keitha3 Posts: 124
    When did the noise first begin? I have about 5K on my Accord with no noise yet, but I have had that squeal on a previous Accord and it drove me nuts. Any others having this problem on the '09's. I'll definitely be more than peeved if it becomes a problem with mine.

You guys have a right to complain...
  • Happy to be in good company. We have the same problem. What could it be? :confuse: Where could the oil be going? We have No indication where it might be going- no leaks, puddles, smoke etc. We've got a 2005 Honda Odyssey that's eating oil like there's no tomorrow. It was a gradual problem at first. Now, it's really become a problem and an inconvenience! :mad: The van finally broke down on Christmas eve. Check engine light was on and the van just wouldn't accelerate past 50 after gasing up while on a trip out of state. :sick: We had it towed to the nearest dealer who kept it for 3 weeks. They replaced gaskets, an O-ring, Fuel injector assy, catalytic converter, spark plugs etc. It's driveable now, but after two weeks we checked the oil level and it was two quarts low on oil since we took possession of it two weeks ago. Took it into the Honda dealer where we purchased it. They told me last year that it would take several days if not a week to diagnose the oil consumption problem. This was before the partial engine failure we experienced Christmas eve. Same day they called me and told me the van was ready for pick-up. They'd checked it out. Changed the oil. Couldn't find a thing. Bring it back in two weeks. HUH??? Ridiculous!!! Any suggestions? We're still covered by an extended warrantee for 20,000 more miles. Too bad the catalytic converter wasn't.
    Diagnosis at engine failure: "Caused by Found 30 PSI in cylinder one. 130 in all others removed head and found exhaust valve burnt through." In English this means?? Thanks for your help in advance.
  • Same XM radio problem for my 2008 I4 EXL - Happens about once a week or so (three times this week alone!). I've found that it is caused by either just starting the car, or sometimes by channel surfing with the knob; but it's clearly not at all related to obstruction.

At first, the sound stutters in-and out, alternating ½ seconds with and without audio. When I try another channel - nothing. The radio does register the channel, song title & artist, but will not process audio on any channel. Not even the hiss you get with an obstruction.
    Since it still is processing channel info, my guess is that there is a glitch in the XMs memory that causes it looses the ability to process audio. Just a guess - I've had a lot of quiet time to think about it.

Has any body found resolution to this issue with Honda? Please let me know.
    Thanks!
  • hutch7hutch7 Posts: 88
    Since this is my first Honda after being a Toyota driver for many years I am still getting used to a "drivers car". I've noticed the drive train seems to whine more than I'm used to although the shifting is very crisp. Is this an Accord characteristic or should I be concerned? Overall I really like my new Honda.