Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I can't be the one to tell you if I think they're worth the price or not; we likely all have different ideas of the value of a car based on our financial situations and personal preferences. From the perspective of an engaged-to-marry young man whose wife-to-be is graduating from a private college in December, I went shopping for a replacement with the mindset that I wanted no car payment. I spent $650 out of pocket and found a more powerful, much newer ('09 vs. '06), better equipped car, with a good deal of warranty left in it.

The cars in general? I'd prefer the TSX from a styling standpoint, and I'm not sure you really want to know what I think about the TL if you're considering it for purchase. :blush:

For the money, Honda needs powertrains that are about ten years more advanced; 5-speed autos and the J-series V6 (still SOHC? I don't honestly know...) are old by modern-car standards. The J is a fine engine, but hitched to that automatic, it's not much quicker than my Sonata; it saps the power and economy is only "decent."

The car asks you to overlook its shortcomings; I can do that when spending $15k-$20k; but at $35k I don't really want to feel like I'm being apologized to when checking out a brand new model.
  • My Honda is so full of problems I didnt know I had an exhaust system... I dont own the rotors and brakes.. I rent them.. I could go on and on but I have a weak heart. First time I bought a Honda....where is my 38?
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    Good perspective Grad! I'm looking at slightly used Acura's, but your points are well taken. Who knows what I will do... it likely will depend most on the trade-in or private sale value I can get from my Accord. I have several quotes on 6 speed manual TSX's. That might be cool and it would squelch my endless frustration with my Accord's automatic transmission! Ahhhhhh.......I'm not sure it wouldn't be worth the price just to feel a real stick-shift under my hand :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    edited October 2010
    There are lots of stick shift options; not just Hondas & Acuras.

Just sayin... :)
  • parvizparviz Posts: 484
    2008 EX-L V6/Auto. 40K miles.
    I have two potential problems I want to see if anyone has experience with any of them.
    1- At low speed there is this high pitched (whine) noise from the engine and perhaps the transmission (I am guessing more from the engine since it does it when stopped too). Although, I have noticed it does not happen all the time.

2- When starting slowly from stop, and moving forward slowly, it feels like a hesitation/vibration at around 30 mph when it seems like it is changing gears (2nd to 3rd, perhaps). Any thought son these two. Thanks.
  • If the whine happens when stopped and in park, have you opened the hood and tried to locate what seems to be making the noise? An alternator bearing can make a nice whine, along with many other things.

As you state the transmission is acting weirder than normal for the adaptive automatic, it could be that too.

If you get it diagnosed now, and it is something major, it could be covered under the 5/60 power train warranty.
  • hondalovahondalova Posts: 189
    Re: Problem 2 (hesitation/vibration) - I have a 2004 EX-L V-6 6 spd., but have experienced a similar problem since the car was almost new. It seems to happen only in colder weather (from late fall until early spring, but not during the summer) and is best characterized as a minor seemingly rotational vibration in the seat. It almost feels as if there is a tiny flat spot in one of the rear tires or as if a caliper is very slightly hung up a shade too close to a slightly warped rotor. I've had half a dozen techs look at it - we've changed rotors, pads, and tires, as well as inspected bearings, checked motor mounts, etc. The most vexing part is it lasts for about 35-40 seconds as I accelerate to highway speed and then perhaps for a minute or so after that and then just fades away.

I'd still worry about it, except that the car has 149,000 miles on it (original clutch, alternator, and starter!) and is starting to develop a little "high mileage personality" in other areas. If that's the worst I have to live with, its not so bad and my hope/plan is to run the car to around 175k and get rid of it sometime mid-next year.

I know this doesn't really help you, and I'm sorry, but I thought you'd want to know that you're not the only one whose had it and/or that it doesn't seem to be something to panic about as you try to figure it out.
  • dilt1dilt1 Posts: 11
    Has anyone looked at your inner CV axle joints? Vibration getting up to speed is a classic symptom. FWIW.
  • jhinscjhinsc Posts: 397
    I have the same car (08 EXL V6) and just turned over to 40k miles. I don't have the whine problem but I do experience the hesitation/vibration you have. I also had the same issue with my previous 2006 EX V6. My problem only occurs when the engine/transmission has not fully warmed up. Once I've gone about 4-5 miles or so, it stops acting up and shifts and run smoothly. It seems to occur when the engine/transmission appears ready to shift to a higher gear but something holds it back for a second or two.
  • I've had an 08 V6 and now own a 2010 V6. Have yet to drive the newer vehicle in cold weather, but my 08 had some similar characteristics when cold. In the 08 and newer I'm wondering if it might have anything to do with the hydraulic engine mounts being slightly stiffer when cold and normalizing after a few miles. Not familiar with the 06, but I don't think that has the same engine mounts.
    With over 5,500 miles on my 2010 I'm not noticing anywhere near the amount of VCM activity that my 08 exhibited. Either their system has a wide range of mfg tolerances resulting in variations in activity being transmitted thru the drive train to the seat of your pants or they have been able to isolate and tame the on again off again surging - pulsing - shifting nature that was present in my 08.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    I am the proud owner of a 06 Milano red/ebony 6MT tsx/wnav. It will soon be 4 years old and has almost 114,000 problem free miles. It still has the original brakes. Love it. We recently traded our 05 hyundai elantra GT with 100,000+miles for a '11 sonata 6MT. It would be nice if they offered more options with the MT. Will not settle for automatic. We also own a 07 Mitsubishi truck with 6MT.
  • daneeldaneel Posts: 19
    So nj2pa2nc, what does this have to do with the Honda Accord (2008+) Maintenance and Repair? I visit the Accord postings regularly to benefit from the many useful postings. Perhaps the Hosts should do a better job of keeping rubbish like this at the appropriate places?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    While there's not a much more gratifying experience than being told by a stranger/infrequent visitor that you need to do your job better (i.e., according to THEIR specifications), the comment was in context. We do permit some off-topic conversation as long as the entire topic isn't derailed... which it isn't. There's still plenty of space here for you & others to talk about your maintenance & repair concerns.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• daneeldaneel Posts: 19
    Kirstie_h, perhaps if you would explain what an 06 Milano and an '11 Sonata MT have to do with the "Honda Accord 2008 Maintenance and Repair" discussion, I may just be able to comprehend it.
  • sometimes when i drive my 08 accord v6 on the highway it causes milano and sonata vehicles to disappear in the rear view mirror. Sometimes i pass them so fast they even look like accords. ;)

Oops, that not the speed, it's the vcm vibration making the mirror shake, my bad.
  • hondalovahondalova Posts: 189
    Daneel - you made a good observation, you got your explanation (whether you agree with it or not), and now everyone's been educated - all things that could have been just as easily (and perhaps even better) accomplished without the obnoxious sarcastic tone you've taken in your posts about, well, these posts. This is a friendly group of helpful people and your aggressiveness is, in my humble opinion, both over the top and totally uncalled for.

My father taught me that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

-FS
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Actually, nj2pa2nc was replying to bug4's post about the TSX and the reference to manual transmissions. Even though it does not directly relate to the topic, it was a reply to the thread.

At least it was a lot closer than some posts. :)

So who has some 08+ Accord repair issues??
  • kingrkingr Posts: 60
    I have a 2010 EXL-V6 sedan and I notice a slight hesitation when shifting gears when car is cold during low speed driving, almost feels like transmissinn is slipping but I don't notice it when car heats up. I see others have noticed it also, for now I will wait and see if it gets worse. Maybe mention it at next visit to dealer.
  • I have a 09 Accord over a year, I found out the coolant level drops 1 inch in the past half a year. Is there any evaparation in the cooling system? I don't think the leaking is the problem on such a new car. How often you guys refill the coolant? and how much? If I do the refill, should I only use water to maintain the antifrezze concentration? Any information will be helpful, thanks
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I would not add tap water to the cooling system. Honda's coolant is pre-mixed, so you don't have to add water, and the mixture stays at 50/50. Adding just water dilutes the 50/50 mix. If you need coolant, buy a gallon. With 2 gallons, you could do a drain and fill. The Honda coolant is long life coolant, and is not compatible with some other coolants, so I would buy the Honda stuff.