Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Okay..I have a 1996 4 door Honda Accord V6 and it has 170,000 miles on it....(I know it's a lot).

I've had it for about three years and I got the igniton coil replaced, a new timing belt, new spark plugs and fixed some oil leaks.

But once again I have another problem. Don't get me wrong. I love my honda. It's wonderful and I wanna make sure I can fix this problem.

Just recently I noticed that if my boyfriend drives my car over a pot hole or a big dip there is a bump noise and I can actually feel it under my foot in the passenger side of the car. It also makes the bump noise when I turn right a lot. I don't know what it is. Im scarred to drive it too far.

Also another minor problem is that when I'm driving normally not braking or anything the back wheels of the car will squeak a lot. I'm not braking. I don't know but if someone could give me advice that would be great! I need to know if my car is safe to drive or not!!! Please Thank You!

~Amanda :cry: :cry:
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Both of these symptoms (front and rear) sound like the suspension is getting worn, and or loose. Suspension noises will usually get louder in the winter, because the old grease on these joints doesn't doesn't flow as well at low temperature. The squeaking in the rear could also be the rubber suspension bushings which also dry up over time. Suspensions on older cars do tend to make a lot of noise, but they rarely fail. Some shops will want to change more parts than others, so it's a good idea to get a second opinion on these things.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Interstingly, my 1996 with 177k miles is a lot quieter suspension-wise than my grandmother's 2002 with 90,700 miles. My 1996 has had NO suspension work, nor has her 2002.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Amanda,

Since yours is a 1996 (fifth generation) model, and this forum is for 2008 (eighth generation) Accords, you might also want to participate in the Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair forum here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efdf920?displayRecent
  • hokie2hokie2 Posts: 6
    Anyone had any experience with putting nitrogen in their tires? My Accord EX-L's tire pressure light came at 1500 miles. Both back tires were pretty low and the tire guy recommended it...it costs $40.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Nitrogen is all they use, and is free, at COSTCO tire centers. There doesn't seem to be much advantage over regular compressed air though. Just Google it and see. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nitrogen+tire The idea is that larger size molecules may not leak out as soon as smaller sized ones. That doesn't matter if you check your pressures regularly.

I would recommend telling your tire guy to take a hike.
    I wouldn't pay extra for nitrogen - that's my 2 cents.

:)
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Isn't our atmosphere 85% or so Nitrogen anyway? It's the largest intert portion of the air we breathe - what a scam! That's worse than selling water in a bottle for a dollar!
    Isn't our atmosphere 85% or so Nitrogen anyway? It's the largest intert portion of the air we breathe - what a scam! That's worse than selling water in a bottle for a dollar!

78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, 1% "Other Gasses"

Sorry, meteorology student here. :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Sorry, meteorology student here.

Hey, I am delighted I made it within 10% standard deviation! Thanks for the clarification. I stand by my opinion, it's a scam.
  • diuneidiunei Posts: 23
    has anyone removed the "Accord" letters from their new accord yet? Can you tell me how you did that? I want a plainer view of the back.
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    Your first problem could be the outer tie rod end. If that's the case, the car would
    not be safe to drive.
    Don't know about the other.
  • Dont' try to pry off the letters, that can damage the paint. Take a piece of strong string (dental floss) and draw the string back and forth while pulling it thru the double faced tape behind the letters. The string will act like a saw, and will cut thru the tape. Now you need to use a solvent (WD-40 works) or a Goo Gone type of adhesive remover to remove the remaining adhesive. The solvent doesn't dissolve the adhesive, but softens it so you can rub it off.

Mrbill
  • diuneidiunei Posts: 23
    thanks. i will try this out over the weekend.
  • The noise is coming from below the grear shift. I hear it on bumps or rougher roads and when turning slightly on a curve. It sounds like styrofoam pressing againts something. An annoying sound. I can force the sound by putting preasure on the gear shift from side, or pressure on the area around it. Any thoughts
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    Perhaps I have already posted this -- but I am having the exact same problem with my 08 Accord. It started about 2000 miles ago (I have 5500 on the odometer now) and it is not getting better - in fact, it is getting worse. It started as a barely noticeable "crunch" under the gear shifter when the interior was cold. Now, it doesn't go away, even when the interior heats up, and it is a semi-loud "creek." It is most noticeable when I accelerate. Like you, I can make it very noticeable by lightly pushing on the side of the gear shifter.

Please let me know if you find a fix . . . . I'm over thinking that any car can be completely squeak-free, but this is a noise that is not acceptable and is very noticeable --- and its getting worse :( . Because of the location and character of the noise, I'm virtually certain its not a mechanical or safety issue --- just very annoying!
  • I'm at just about 2000 miles. The sound is not mechanical but a scratchy sound. I think it has to do with insulating material in the counsole.
    Is your Accord is Japan made? Mine is.
  • My 08 Accord EX coupe has had a noise (similar in nature) coming from the passenger side door/dash area which doesn't happen all the time... It too sounds like creaking / styro-foam clanging together perhaps... my coupe was made in Ohio...

The dealership where I purchased the vehicle is over an hour away from me, so Im hesitent to bring it in and have them tell me they "Cannot duplicate problem" or "Operating as designed" two things I used to hear quite a bit when I owned a Saturn years ago...
  • parvizparviz Posts: 484
    "The dealership where I purchased the vehicle is over an hour away from me,"

Hopefully that is not the only dealer around you. As you may know, you can take your new car to any Honda dealer for warranty work.
  • I just bought a 08 Honda Accord EXL/V6 and I was looking under the hood at the engine and when I went to close it, it wouldn't close. I had to literally "slam" the hood down to get it too close properly. Has anyone else experienced this? Could new owners do me a big favor and check this out and see if you have the same problem, hopefully it's just my car. I will bring it back to the dealer and see what the problem is, hopefully it just needs an ajustment. One other thing I noticed when I got my car back from the dealer was I had a small ding on my hood. I called the dealer and they said to bring it up and they would have the paintless dent remover take care of it. Don't get me wrong, I love this car and thinks it's fantastic. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.