Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

1747576777880»

Comments

• I have a 08 2.4 5 speed sedan that was great for the first 5k, then started having shift issues like you describe in #1. I also had issues with it popping out of third as I let the clutch out on the upshift. There is a older TSB for the 2003-2008 Accord 6 speed coups for that issue. Apparently the syncro and or shift sleeve was faulty. Your other symptoms sound different from the TSB. After much run around from the dealer, I finally changed my gear lube to synthetic BG Syncro Shift 2 and all shift problems went away. At 75K + and still shifting like butter. I wonder if there is an issue with the cluch and or flywheel? Like the graduate said, get it to the dealer and see what they say. Ride with the tech for a test drive so they can't say "we can't replicate the problem." I heard that line several times from my former dealer.
  • hondalovahondalova Posts: 189
    Thank you both. I've always thought the flywheel felt unbalanced on this car but always forgot to mention it to the dealer. I generally don't have the car serviced at the dealer after the 1st year of ownership as it is easier to have my local mechanic by my office (whom I've used for 20+ years - and believe me, I'm a tough critic - this guy is good) do oil changes and basic maintenance service.

I thought powertrain was only 50k - so that's good to know. Will make appointment to bring car in and update you all about what I find.

-FS
  • I hit a curb going way too fast and bent rear wheel. Honda dealer wanted $500 for a new one. A local body shop sold me an aftermarket one for $150. Can't tell the difference. Go online, you can find one for probably even less.
  • I had the same problem with my '08 4-cyl accord. Received memo to take it in for reset on the computer due to excessive oil consumption. Did that and consumption dropped to less than 1/2 qt in 5000 mi. You might look into that one the 6 cyl as well. May or may not be the same issue.
  • Try www.hubcaphaven.com

I got a great deal on a reconditioned rim from them.

Also, check if shimmy is in the steering wheel or just felt in the seat. If its in the steering wheel, it's likely one of your front rims, while if its in just seat, its probably one of the rears. If your unsure, try rotating them first to see if there's any difference in where you feel it. Any road hazard big enough to damage all four rims at once would almost certainly be a pants-wetting moment. In other words, you'd remember it. Short of that you probably don't need more than two rims at most.