Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Sky - Maintenance and Repair

2»

Comments

• Mine is being worked on for the 4th time right now. I'm one of those women who always have there keys in my hand when I come out into a parking lot, so to be ready to jump in my car and take off if someone tries to attack me, but in my Sky, I will have to ask the assailant to please wait a minute while my brakes get ready to work, and then drive away from harm.
  • carguy916carguy916 Posts: 11
    Did you know that Taser makes a nice non-lethal weapon for civilians? It is small, would fit in your purse. Does not kill anyone, but renders them useless, giving you time to warm up your lovely Sky, then get the heck out of Dodge. :)

Did you see the news release from NHTSA?
  • Yes I did see the news release just yesterday. Let's hope that now the problems will be fixed.
    Just might look into that Taser idea. :)
  • I have not had this problem while using cruise control but when I first start the car and try to back out I almost ran into a car the brakes felt like they were dragging and rock hard but the car did not stop. I informed the dealer and they said this has been fixed/nothing is wrong with the brakes.
  • I need to update the info on my Saturn Sky. I got it back about a month and a half ago. The vac boost pump they installed completely fixed all of my brake issues. Also Saturn had all of the damage fixed that was caused when the pump was installed. (The tech didnt bolt everything back into place and my car was scratched and pieces underneath the car fell off). I would like to say that I am now very pleased with my car, and am finally getting to enjoy driving it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    great news to hear. Now you can get on with what you bought your Sky for in the first place...driving enjoyment!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• medicupmedicup Posts: 6
    How did you get them to install a vac boost pump? Is it an OEM mod that Saturn provides? Is Saturn finally pulling their head out and fixing this problem? If so, are they notifying buyers?

Thanks
    WW
    I did a little search on the NHTSA site and found they have finished their investigation. I guess they didn't see fit to notify anyone that complained to them about the car. You can read the findings at;

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm

Guess we all need to get our cars down to the dealer for some adjustments. Saturn apparently is going to notify us but they're taking their sweet A$$ time doing it.

WW
    Sorry, the link won't connect. I've pasted the report below.

NHTSA Action Number: NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:
    PE08016 N/A
    Make: SATURN Model: SKY
    Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    Year : 2008
    Component :
    SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:POWER ASSIST:VACUUM
    SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:POWER ASSIST:HYDRAULIC
    SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE

Date Investigation Opened : March 6, 2008
    Date Investigation Closed : June 24, 2008
    Summary:
    IN MODEL YEAR (MY) 2007, PONTIAC SOLSTICE AND SATURN SKY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 2.0L TURBOCHARGED ENGINE USED AN AUXILIARY VACUUM PUMP TO SUPPLEMENT THE ENGINE AS A SOURCE OF VACUUM TO THE BRAKE BOOSTER DURING LOW VACUUM CONDITIONS, SUCH AS IMMEDIATELY AFTER A COLD START. THE VACUUM PUMP OPERATION WAS CONTROLLED BY SWITCHES THAT SENSED BOOSTER VACUUM, TURNING THE PUMP ON WHEN BOOSTER VACUUM DROPPED BELOW A SPECIFIED LEVEL. IN THE MY 2008 SOLSTICE AND SKY VEHICLES (THE SUBJECT VEHICLES), GENERAL MOTORS (GM) ELIMINATED THE AUXILIARY VACUUM PUMP AND REPLACED IT WITH THE OPTIMIZED HYDRAULIC BRAKING (OHB) SYSTEM. THE DESIGN INTENT OF OHB IS TO SUPPLEMENT ENGINE VACUUM, IN CONDITIONS WHERE LOW VACUUM IS GENERATED BY THE ENGINE, WITH HYDRAULIC PRESSURE GENERATED BY THE STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM PUMP CONTROLLED BY THE ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE (EBCM). FOR UP TO ABOUT A MINUTE AFTER A COLD START, WHEN THE SYSTEM IS IN OHB ASSIST MODE, THE DRIVER MUST PRESS HARDER ON THE BRAKE PEDAL TO ACHIEVE DESIRED DECELERATION. ALSO, WHEN THE OHB MODE IS ACTIVATED, THE DRIVER CAN HEAR AND FEEL, THROUGH BRAKE PEDAL VIBRATION, THE STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM PUMP OPERATION. STARTING IN LATE APRIL 2008, GM CHANGED FROM THE OHB SYSTEM BACK TO THE VACUUM PUMP SYSTEM DESIGN. ODI IS AWARE OF 264 NON-DUPLICATIVE COMPLAINTS TO ODI AND GM ALLEGING INADEQUATE BRAKE POWER ASSIST IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES WHEN APPLYING THE BRAKES JUST AFTER A COLD START, INCLUDING ONE INCIDENT INVOLVING A CRASH INTO A TREE DURING A DRIVEWAY MANEUVER. TO ADDRESS THESE CONCERNS BY CONSUMERS, GM HAS ISSUED THREE TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS. ON JUNE 4, 2007, GM RELEASED AN INFORMATIONAL BULLETIN (NO PART REPLACEMENT OR SOFTWARE UPDATES), BULLETIN# 07-05-22-002, TO DEALERS EXPLAINING THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE OHB SYSTEM. ON NOVEMBER 29, 2007, GM RELEASED A SERVICE BULLETIN, BULLETIN# 07-05-22-007, WITH INSTRUCTIONS TO RECALIBRATE THE EBCM WITH REVISED SOFTWARE TO MAKE OHB OPERATION FEEL MORE LIKE A NORMAL VACUUM ASSIST SYSTEM. TO IMPROVE COLD START BRAKING PERFORMANCE COMPARABLE TO MY 2007 VEHICLES, GM RELEASED A THIRD SERVICE BULLETIN IN TWO PARTS, BULLETINS 07-05-25-007A (APRIL 29, 2008) AND 07-05-25-007B (MAY 16, 2008), FOR AUTOMATIC AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLES RESPECTIVELY. THESE BULLETINS RELEASED NEW ENGINE CONTROL SOFTWARE TO CHANGE THE IDLE STRATEGY AFTER A COLD START SO THAT MORE VACUUM IS AVAILABLE FOR BRAKE POWER ASSIST. BEGINNING THE WEEK OF JUNE 23, 2008, GM WILL BEGIN SENDING LETTERS TO CONSUMERS TO MAKE THEM AWARE OF THE AVAILABILITY OF MOST RECENT CALIBRATION. A SAFETY-RELATED DEFECT HAS NOT BEEN IDENTIFIED AT THIS TIME AND FURTHER USE OF AGENCY RESOURCES DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE WARRANTED. ACCORDINGLY, THIS INVESTIGATION IS CLOSED. THE CLOSING OF THIS INVESTIGATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A FINDING BY NHTSA THAT A SAFETY-RELATED DEFECT DOES NOT EXIST. THE AGENCY WILL TAKE FURTHER ACTION IF WARRANTED BY THE CIRCUMSTANCES.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    I have been following this thread and the Pontiac Solstice thread about this brake problem. I would agree, if you own one of these, you're gonna have to get aggressive about it and find out what your dealer is planning to do to make this problem right for you.

Nobody should have to wait for their car to warm up two minutes before they take off. Imagine a parking valet not getting that important little tidbit of information and getting in to an accident with your Sky or Solstice?

You've all paid enough money for your cars that you deserve a safe, well running Sky and Solstice. I wouldn't wait, I'd call your dealers and get them cracking on this ASAP. I'd be on it like a Gary Payton steal of Michael Jordan and a layup at the other end kissed gently off the Sonic's glass for two points, gentlemen.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• carguy916carguy916 Posts: 11
    I took my Sky RL in to the dealer Friday. Got my oil change for $60, and had them do the software calibration. The next morning was the big test for the brakes. Turned the engine on, immediately put it in reverse and crossed my fingers. It is improved, there was some braking power, at least enough for me to slow down and avoid the garage door frame. The brakes still feel a little bit funny, I will still make it a habit to warm up the car before backing up. Hey Saturn.... you have come a long way, but you are not done with the brake fix!
  • If you go to skyroadster.com and look up brake problems you can see all of the threads that have to do with the problem I had with my 08 Sky. It took 5 times to the dealer before they put on the pump. I must have had the worst case because they fixed mine first as far as I know. Two times while driving over 70 miles an hour the brakes were ROCK hard while trying to disengage cruise control. VERY SCARY! As far as start up brake problems it happened EVERY time I started the car, ROCK hard brakes that would not stop the vehicle. Now I have no problems what so ever. You could contact Tony at Saturn of Henderson. He is the one who finally got my car fixed.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,455
    And GM still wonders why it continues to loose market share to the competition...
  • WE BOUGHT A NEW 2008 SKY AT SATURN OF HICKORY AND WE ALSO ARE HAVING BRAKE PROBLEMS. WE HAVE TAKEN THE CAR BACK AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAR.THEY REALLY MAKE YOU FEEL QUITE STUPID!!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO BUT WE ARE NOT VERY HAPPY WITH THE CAR OR WITH SATURN OF HICKORY.
    I was doing some poking around at the NHTSA site and found the investigation findings for the Saturn brake problem. According to them, Saturn issued three software updates beginning last November to address the brake problems. Supposedly Saturn would begin notifying owners in July. I called Saturn of El Paso the next day and requested they "do the brake software update". I was immediately met with "that's how the brakes are supposed to work... blah blah blah". I informed the "service manager" of the NHTSA's findings and that I would be bringing my car down the next day, FIND THE UPDATE FROM YOUR COMPANY! When I arrived the next day with a printout of the NHTSA stuff (which has the update numbers and such) I was met with, "I'm sorry, I didn't know they had issued those, we'll get right on it.". 45 minutes later I left with the software updates completed. I will admit the brakes are much better. You can still feel "something a little funny" during the cold start-immediate braking but nothing near as bad as it was. One of the software updates also tweaks the idle settings on the automatic which makes the brake adjustments more effective.

So...... call your local Saturn, tell them to pull their head out and get your software updated. I got my letter "notifying" me of the updates the day after I had the update done.

Happier with the car, still not ready to forgive Saturn for the whole fiasco though.

Good luck and stay safe
    WW
  • It took us 5 times in the shop before they figured out how to fix my car, and on the 6th time it was fixed. I have never gotten a letter in the mail from Saturn about updates. Whole thing was a horrible headache, but now that my car has brakes that work as they should I am pleased with my car and will keep it.
  • i need recall list on 2007 saturn sky redline
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    edited February 2013
    Hi, lynan,

You can find them on the Maintenance & Recalls page -- just input your car's info in the dropdown boxes. You'll also see any TSBs that have been issued so that you can bring them to your dealer.

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Claire

HOST

2»