Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tiburon Electrical and Lighting Problems

I have a 2003 Tib with under 120000K on it an have just been told the main computer has an electrical short and needs to be replaced. It is causing the left side hazard lights to remain lit after the car is turned off. Has anyone heard of this before and does Hyundai have any secret or hidden warranties for such. This seems awfully early in the cars life for a computer failure doesnt it. Regular checks at dealer, well maintained????

Comments

• joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    I am not certain about the extent of the issue other than what you described but 120,000K is so late in the car's life :P

Of course, I think you meant 120,000 (or 120K). Still, it is not early in a car's life. The model year (2003) may be recent but 120,000 is not.

It does sound like a legit issue and probably does need replacement. However, if you are uncertain, as your post reflects, I'd seek a second opinion from a local mechanic or something.
  • I realize I'm a couple of months late, but If you havn't spanet the money on a new computer yet yours can be fixed pretty easly. It a relay in the BCM thats bad. The relay runs about $4.00. I just did one for one of my customers in November. I have the paperwork here somewere. If you still need it repost and let me know. It takes 2 or 3 days to order the relay and about 2.5 hours to install it.
  • we have to unhook the battery after shuting off the engine on our 2003 tiburon in order for the turnsignal to go off - it istay on steady not blimking- i saw where it could possible be a relay in the bcm - where can i get that relay???
  • Here is a direct link to the MOUSER.COM product page,

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Ntt=*NEC*+*EP23N1ST*&N=1323038&Ntx=mode- %2bmatchall&Ns=P_SField&OriginalKeyword=NEC+EP2-3N1ST&Ntk=Mouser_Wildcards

Her is a link to rapidshare.com free file server, this is a pdf file of the entire repair with pictures.

http://rapidshare.com/files/95798381/turn_signal.pdf.html

if you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • ali74ali74 Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 2003 Tiburon. All the searching I've done online suggests that the whole BCM needs to be replaced, costing around $900. Your post has given me hope! In your opinion, is this a repair that most auto mechanics could successfully do or is it really complicated?
  • pheonix3pheonix3 Posts: 6
    It is not a hard repair at all. As to whether a mechanic can do it, it depends. All that is required is someone who is proficient with a soldering iron. Too much heat on the BCM's circuit board will ruin your whole day. Getting the BCM out is easy, if you or your mechanic don't feel secure enough to unsolder the relay and resolder the new one, you can run the BCM to any TV or radio repair shop who would be able to do it while you wait. It takes less than 10 minutes to replace the relay its self. This is really a simple procedure so don't feel apprehensive. By the way this type of procedure can be done for most cars. I started out in 2000 with the fords, they too thought it was a good idea to put the blinker control in the BCM. Good luck and if you need anything further please feel free to post a message.
  • 03tibby03tibby Posts: 1
    My car started doing this this morning, with no problems before now with lights. So is it for sure the relay, and if you take it to the dealer to fix it, how much does it cost, or can I take it to my local mechanic? I have spoke to my hyundai dealer and told them that this seems to be a common problem with these cars, and wanted to know if I could get it covered under my warranty even though it just expired. Hopefully they will be nice and cover it for me if this is the problem. Is there any way to just bypass this and not mess with it?
  • mpbrismpbris Posts: 1
    Yup, had the same problem, plus a million others. I am definetely not impressed with the 2003's. My son had one as well and ended up with pretty much the identical problem.

Can anyone tell me how to replace a bulb for the break lights?
  • THE CARPET IN THE TRUNK AND THE SUB-SPEAKER (THERE ARE TWO SCREWS UNDER THE EDGE OF THE CARPET) HAS TO BE REMOVED FROM THE TRUNK AND THEN YOU HAVE TO TAKE TWO OTHER NUTS OFF THAT HOLD THE TAIL LIGHT IN ... JUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THE TAIL LIGHT ITSELF ....
  • IF YOU STILL HAVE THE PAPER WORK REPOST IT BECAUSE I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 03 TIBURON ... I'VE ALSO HAD TO UNPLUG MY BATTERY BECAUSE THE TURN SIGNAL STICKS AND DRAINS THE BATTERY
  • How do you get the cover off to replace the interior dome lights on a 1999 Hyundai Tiburon?
  • be careful installing the relay in the bcm because i just burned mine up ... using the one that was listed on here ... i didn't look like i should have and it was a mistake ... so now i have to fine a body control module for my 03 tiburon ... it's over a grand at the dealers ... so if you take one out make sure to look at the part number on the relay ... it worked for a few minutes then blew my fuses ... the reason i was taking it out is because to the turn signal staying on ... so be careful
    A000SNAKE...
  • Yes this is the relay. I let my son in law replace all three relays and it works fine. He tested the relays and I actually had two bad ones so he went ahead and replaced all three. The dealership just wants to replace the whole bcm and that is costly.
  • dalyndalyn Posts: 1
    I'm about to try this fix. My problem is both my left and right blinkers are frozen. It was just my right for a while, now it's both. I took it in and was told it was the module, and it would be 900 bucks for a new part. What I am wondering, having looked at the PDF file, on the board there are two relays. Is it one per blinker side, or do I just need to replace the one top relay to fix the whole thing? I just ordered one replacement relay. Just need to know if I need to order a second one.
  • order 2 more relays and replace all 3 since you are already in there. one is turn signal,one is emergency signal and the other is brakes or a/c i don't remember off hand.they are all the same relay so do them all. The replacement relay will not be the same part number since the dealer uses in house part numbers. The replacement relay's are actualy higher wattage ratings so they will last forever. go slow to much heat will ruin your day the transistors the factory uses are not as tough as they should be. But, don't get worried it's not that difficult.
  • My wife has a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon and I have this same problem with the left blinker stuck on , which I have read is caused by the BCM. Can anyone tell me where you order the relays from, and what the part number is for them? or Does anyone have a good working BCM out of a 2003 tiburon that they want to sell at a decent price? Thankyou for any help you can give me.
  • Hey pheonix3 Im having the same trouble with my 04 tiburon and was wondering if you know if im suppose to get the relay off the dealer or get it off line because im having a hard time finding one
  • I got mine off line. The company I got mine from made me buy six of them because I had to spend a minimum amount of money to order. Here is another company that sells them,
    http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine....1ST+&N=1323038
    The companies name is mouser electronics.
    I dont know if they have a minimum order when I called them back when I needed mine they were on back order so i went with a different company. I hope this helps.

Here is the site that shows how to repair it also. It worked on my wifes car.
    http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102241&highlight=bcm