Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Century Electrical/Lights

rover898rover898 Member Posts: 4
WHERE IS THE INTERIOR LIGHT SWITCH ON THE DOOR TO OPERATE THEINTERIOR LIGHTS. THIS IS A FOUR DOOR SEDAN, BUICK CENTURY 1991?

Comments

• scottm7635scottm7635 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1999 Century, equipped with remote keyless entry. When I press the trunk release button on my remote, all I can hear is a "clicking" inside the car, but the trunk doesn't open. I've checked the fuses, and tested the connections, and found nothing wrong. My car was one of the lucky ones that didn't come with a trunk button inside the car, so I have to get out and unlock it with the key each time, which can be annoying. Speaking of which, is it possible to wire a push switch into the power trunk motor on the trunk lid? I would be very interested in doing this.
  • mbaldockmbaldock Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2004 Buick Century. Lately, (and I confirmed this last night when I was driving it), her headlights have been going out. They went out last night, and I hit the bright switch and they came back on. I switched back to low beams, and they stayed on. The problem didn't occur again. Obviously, this is a nerve-wracking thing, thinking this could happen at any moment. Any fixes out there?
  • neightneight Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem a couple years ago. The problem kept getting worse until my lights wouldn't work at all unless I held the high beam on with my hand which wasn't easy while driving and also makes oncoming traffic not too happy. My local dealer told me it was the switch that works the High beams and pretty much everything else in that area and it would cost $700 or more. The part alone was over $350. I found one at a used part store for $125 and installed it myself in about 2 hours. It wasn't easy but worth the hassle for the money. It has worked fine ever since.
  • mhkelly54mhkelly54 Member Posts: 1
    my girlfriend has a 1990 buick century 4 door 6 cyl. somebody split the cover on the electrical wiring and cut some of the wires im trying to find a schematic or wireing diagram that will tell what color wires go to what. the power windows only work from their respective door switches not from main drivers control also lost the dome lights. the radio just has static no controls. and drivers window doesnt go up or down.i replaced the circuit breakers in the fuse block no luck. can anybody help me out . dealers couldnt help said vehicle to old.
  • siouxsqawsiouxsqaw Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 buick century, what does it mean when the security light goes on?
  • tomasmtomasm Member Posts: 1
    hi, i got a ´91 century buick limited and i was wondering if someone could help me telling me how does the luck and unluck system works when changing from park to any other position.

i´ve seen in any buick that when you change form park to another possition the car lucks automatically, but my car does not do it

thanks
  • siouxsqawsiouxsqaw Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 buick century, what does it mean when the security light goes on?
  • ken68ken68 Member Posts: 6
    Hmm.. seen that light before got the ignition key with a chip in it? Did the car start and keep running?
    My 2002 Buick Century has a key with a chip on the shank. It surounded by a black rectangle.
    It means your key(chip didn't read)..... That could be a bad thing if the ignition switch is failing cuase it will quit and not start at all.
  • minehillminehill Member Posts: 2
  • minehillminehill Member Posts: 2
    The low beam has a metal diffuser,kind of a "venetial blind". Can I remove this or will it melt the lens...there's none on the high beam, and these bulbs are so dim. My wife says no one even "flashes" her when she drives with the high beams on. Oh, and yes, we've already done the recall. It's a 1999 Limited.
    Thanks for your input.
  • bigdady1980bigdady1980 Member Posts: 1
    I am installing a cd player in a 2003 Buick Century. Can anyone show me a wiring diagram or tell me what colors the wires for the stereo and speakers are.
  • rover898rover898 Member Posts: 4
    WHERE IS THE DOOR SWITCH TO CONTROL THE INTERIOR LIGHTS LOCATED. ON A 1991 BUICK CENTURY? THANK YOU
  • westrickwestrick Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Buick century that has the starter trying to engage while the engine is running. This does not happen all the time but can not operate the car because of this condition. I have had the starter and crank relay replaced and it still does it. The mechanic has check the wires in the loom but could not find problem.
    Any suggestions on what might cause the problem.
    Dale Westrick
  • ehzehz Member Posts: 1
    can anyone help me programming my remote--keyless entry--on a 1995 Buick Century. Much appreciated.
  • nd07nd07 Member Posts: 1
    The front drivers side window goes down when car is started It will not go back up until the car is put in drive,or sometime it will work if you hit the door. I sometime can hear a click when I hit the switch Is there a relay in the door?
  • haileyhailey Member Posts: 3
    '99 Buick Century: Can someone tell me what to do to solve this nightmare?

Symptoms in order of occurrence:
    1st: driver's side front window, rolls down, but won't come back up and vice-versa; sporadic issue (began 3 years ago)
    2nd: Instrument panel and running lights (tail lights) go out; ongoing issue-I've changed headlight/lamp switch 3x to remedy this...something's blowing it instead, I think; ongoing problem. (began 2 years ago)
    3rd: trunk won't open...I can press the button on the key chain and inside the dash, I can hear a click from inside the car, but nothing while standing by my trunk; began as a sporadic issue, is now ongoing. (began a few months ago)

What I've done to try and remedy these issues:
    #1-changed/checked all fuses, including those under the hood.
    #2-As mentioned above, replaced headlight/lamp switch 3x.

Has anyone else had these problems with their car? If so, what did you have to do to fix it?
    My 1999 Century does the same thing but it does have a trunk release button inside the glove compartment--It still won't open.
    My 1999 Century does the same thing but it does have a trunk release button inside the glove compartment--It still won't open.

I opened the trunk and looked in the plastic casing over the wiring between the trunk jam and the trunk lid. It looked like the wiring was cut (by the hinge?) and all the wires were crossing. I spliced them all over again and everything worked great.
    Thanks! I will check that on mine!
  • whaywardjwhaywardj Member Posts: 1
    Recently had a mechanic replace the starter on my 1995 Buick Century (6-cyl). As I drove the car back home, I noticed the ABS light was on. Further investigation revealed that -- although I had turn-signals, the radio worked, and fuses I could examine in the glove box fuse panel were good -- I had no headlights, no brake lights, no interior lights, no courtesy lights, the power locks didn't work, and the radio reset everytime I turned-off the ignition. (Didn't check cruise control or hazard lights.)

Is there a connection?

I think there are four fusible links in wires going to the starter motor. Could one or more of these have been damaged during starter replacement and cause all this? Or (I hate to think it!) could the car's computer have been rigged during diagnostics to cause it?
  • marie7777777marie7777777 Member Posts: 1
    2 Quotes:
    My wife has a 2004 Buick Century. Lately, (and I confirmed this last night when I was driving it), her headlights have been going out. They went out last night, and I hit the bright switch and they came back on. I switched back to low beams, and they stayed on. The problem didn't occur again. Obviously, this is a nerve-wracking thing, thinking this could happen at any moment. Any fixes out there?

Replies to this message:
    neight (Nov 17, 2007 12:02 pm)

#4 of 21 Re: Buick Century Headlights [mbaldock] by neight Nov 17, 2007 (12:02 pm)
    Replying to: mbaldock (Nov 16, 2007 6:40 am)

I had the same problem a couple years ago. The problem kept getting worse until my lights wouldn't work at all unless I held the high beam on with my hand which wasn't easy while driving and also makes oncoming traffic not too happy. My local dealer told me it was the switch that works the High beams and pretty much everything else in that area and it would cost $700 or more. The part alone was over $350. I found one at a used part store for $125 and installed it myself in about 2 hours. It wasn't easy but worth the hassle for the money. It has worked fine ever since.
    ===================================================

I am having the same problem pretty much with my 2002 Buick Centery. I have had it for two and a half years and really like it. But a few months ago my lights started going out on me once in awhile. They would come back on if I pulled the lever toward me. Then my bright lights stopped working all together. The lights don't go out at night anymore. When I have the low beams on I can pull the lever toward me and the brights will come on, but if I let it go all the lights go out. I was told it will cost $600 for this job.

Does anyone know of a recall on this? Seems rather early for something like this to happen. Any ideas??
  • mringersmringers Member Posts: 1
    I have 1998 buick century the right front signal does not flash some time it will but very slowly and only when the driving lights are on not the headlights.The rear right flashes quickly the drivers side is ok and so are the hazzards some times the wipers will start to move by them self I think I have to replace the turn signal switch does this sound like the problem .
    thanks mike
    Those are strange problems. As far as I see it, it's either that multifunction lever or crossed wires. Centurys have a problem with wires cracking and getting crossed.
  • hmcflyhmcfly Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Buick Century and I'm having trouble with one of my power windows. It's the front passenger side, I have replaced the motor and regulator 3 times now in a 12 month period. I have a lifetime warranty on it but they are looking at me funny now when I return it. They seem to think that I'm getting power surges when I use it. I get about 10 uses before it dies. When I do use it, it interferes with the radio, could this be the window relay that is going bad? Is there anyway that I can check to see that the voltage is not spiking to the window motor.
    Where is the window relay? any ideas?

thanks
  • boogpowlboogpowl Member Posts: 1
    The battery cables were disconnected so the anti-theft device is on. Can I go somewhere to get the code so I don`t have to pay the dealership?
  • greengablesgreengables Member Posts: 1
    hi, im having same problem with my girlfriends car. the window problem is most likely not the switch, its the wires either inside the door or inside the door boot. my problem is the harness coming out of the switch. you can test by prying out switch( pry from the side of the switch that is closest to the front of car) turn key to run, hold up or down on switch and wiggle harness. it should then work intermittently. if thats the case then the conductor (metal inside) is broken or cracked loose etc inside wire insulation. as for the trunk release im troubleshooting that now. i hear relay clicking inside car but am getting no trigger at trunk release. bad relay?
  • rwyattjrrwyattjr Member Posts: 1
    my service engine soon light comes on when i go over 60-65mph on the freeway. when i drive in the city it never goes on, and it resets when i turn the car off and back on. ever heard of this??
  • cwilliams35cwilliams35 Member Posts: 1
    The right front turn signal doesn't work, the rear right turn signal flashes rapidly. The right turn signal on the dash doesn't illuminate but you can hear the rapid clicking sound. I have replaced the bulbs in each. The bulbs and lamps do work if i turn on the hazards.

I believe this is a switch problem and I'm looking for instructions on how to replace it. Any ideas?
  • 21ert1121ert11 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 buick century that had the light go out in the area of the cluster where the trip milage is displayed and where the totals miles is displayed.
    I was wondering if this is a simple fix or if I need a whole new/used cluster. If a replacment is in order where is the best place to find a good used one for not alot of money. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.\ Thank all.
    Mike
  • munleyjmunleyj Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1995 Buick Century. The dash lights are out. When I put the headlights on the radio light goes out. Also, the lights showing the door handles and the power locks and windows are out. What fuse do I replace if it is a fuse?
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    I had a similar problem with my 2000 Century. I checked all my fuses to find that they were good. Replaced the headlight switch (approx. $55) and cured the problem. The switch was a snap to get to on my car. It only took about 10 min. to replace. Good luck.
  • brutustheherobrutusthehero Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Buick Century 3.1L Custom

I am looking for a way to turn off the headlights at night or a way to disable the Automatic Headlights.
  • santanamooresantanamoore Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000 buick century and when the secutirty light comes on you cars security system thinks that the car is being tempered with this could be your key chip is not being read right or the security system needs to be re trained to read the key the only way to really know which one it is is to take it to a buick dealer and have them run a diagnostic test. All in all your car has a brain and if the brain thinks that the car is trying to be stolen then it will not start.
  • superyutzsuperyutz Member Posts: 1
    My mom has a 1995 Buick Century which runs quite well. An unknown electrical anomaly causes the battery to discharge to 0volts without obvious cause. The internal or DOME lights seem to be the problem. They stay ON until the battery runs dead, even when the doors are slammed closed...as this should time to turn them off in a few minutes. Any suggestions would help at this point..Thanks
  • goneagaingoneagain Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Buick Century. The lights on my instrument panel have gone out. The warning lights and the light for the radio still work. I also have an issue with my tail lights being out. I have replaced the bulbs in the tail light and the 15A fuse for the tail lights. I don't know if both problems are related. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Try replacing the fuse. I had that problem and replaced a fuse. I forget which one. Look in your manual.
  • brutustheherobrutusthehero Member Posts: 2
    my tail light went out as well due to a lack of ground, i just ran a wire from the ground wire to the inside of the trunk on a bolt that holds down the net that runs across the trunk
    I have a 1995 Buick Century. The dash lights are out. When I put the headlights on the radio light goes out. Also, the lights showing the door handles and the power locks and windows are out. What fuse do I replace if it is a fuse?
  • 2000buickrehab2000buickrehab Member Posts: 11
    RE: 2000 Buick Century Custom
    Hello all, I have some Body Control Module(intermittent power door locking failure) and Cluster(No odometer display, no PRNDL display) issues. While checking for current in the passenger side fuse panel (which has a light coat of rust from water into the cabin from a bad seal at the cabin air filter port), I noticed that there is no current on either side of the 10 Amp fuse, located row 4 of column A - it is listed as being for the Cluster, BCM and Ignition. Also, the 10 Amp fuse next to it shows no current either - it states that it is for the Heated Mirror (Both fuses have been replaced and still zero current)
    Any recommendations for a quick fix for this before I start backtracking through the wiring harness on a wild goose chase?
  • gershen4gershen4 Member Posts: 1
    2000 Buick Century instrument panel went out. But only the small area that shows which gear your in (P/R/N/D/1/2). Any ideas what it could be? or how to get to the bulb to change it? We don't think it's the fuse. Desperately seeking advise.
    My issue was a fuse.
  • loopsyloopsy Member Posts: 5
    I replaced headlight switch and no luck going to try the relay switches next and possibly see if its a fusable link if not I guess I go back to square one with a wire tester and check each and every one in the car. Anyone with any advice please respond and help 95 buick century wagon.
    What exactly are you trying to fix? :confuse:
    I have a 1995 Century Wagon 3.1L engine. Took it out to store got home the autolocks quit working.Took it back out at another store started it up and my headlights didn't work my tail lights,brake lights,hazzard lights,horn,courtesy lights are out. The radio and clock won't stay set resets everytime you start it. I have turn signals and back up lights thats it. All went down at the same time. Had to replace two 5 amp fuses still not coming on. I replaced the headlight switch still nothing. Just put in a new relay switch still nothing. I got a conuinity tester checking back of fuse boxes every wire I can find still nothing. Any other ideas. I had a transmission replaced about 3 and half months ago. Is it possible it is a fusable link off of the starter. I have dash lights and it runs down the road. Any ideas any other tests or places to look let me know. Tested the alternator not that either. Don't know what else to do. I have a lot of money in this car and can't afford to take it in at the present time. Please any help would be appreciated. :mad:
    Electrical trouble-shooting is time consuming and wears on the patients. What I usually do is use a voltmeter and start back tracking till I find a voltage. Sometimes a bad ground wire connection can cause havoc. My experience on headlights is most of the time they have a bad ground or open circuit. They don't use fuses or fuzable links. They use a circuit breaker that opens and closes when it cools down. Maybe the bonding strap from the engine to the chassis is defective or loose.

Happy hunting. :)
    Where is the circuit breaker located on this car. I only have an owners manual thats it. We are getting blasted with snow and wind and freezing temps. I started the car a few times yesterday now she won't start got to get a jump. So am stalled at the moment. I am out here checking wires and bulbs and fuses with a tester. I do not have a volt meter however and no lights. Can't even get it to the parts store to see if one of them can check it. Thank you by the way for helping out appreciate it very much. :confuse:
    Sorry to hear about all the bad weather and all the bad luck. I'm not familiar with the 95 but it doesn't sound to me like breakers, fuses, and bulbs are your problem. I'm thinking more like cables, grounds, bonding straps, and cable connections. To effectively trouble-shoot electrical problems these days a person pretty much needs some instruments to work with. Maybe its time to get some outside help. Good luck. :)
  • jj2010jj2010 Member Posts: 1
    My dash lighting was out along with the rear running lights. While lights were on and car running at night I popped my trunk and opened it past 20 or 30 degrees it blew the fuse. It's a 15 amp fuse that supplies lighting to the 2 items mentioned. Haven't bothered to locate short. I just pull the fuse when I need to get use trunk. Hope it helps you or some in future. (keep spare fuses in car just in case)
  • doubled218doubled218 Member Posts: 4
    i was wondering if you got a answer to 1990 buick century power window main switch not working i have the same problem all the others work
    No, but I got it fixed. It was a fuse. I thought it could have been the switch. I replaced ther 5 amp fuse with a 10 amp.