Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Edge SYNC Bluetooth SiriusXM Audio Questions

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Does anyone know if they are integrated beyond sharing the screen?
    For example, does Sync work with the nav the same as it does with your cell phone and mp3 player? (Can you use Sync voice commands to control the nav to input street addresses while you're driving etc.)?
    Does anyone know if you can use the Bluetooth audio streaming function of Ford Sync to receive the audio of a cell phone based navigation system?
    It would very cool if Ford Sync allowed you to hear the turn by turn instructions from your phone played over the car stereo speakers without wires especially if you can simultaneously play the music saved on the phone and have it all paused for you automatically when you are on a call.

• baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    That's a very good question and I don't remember reading about that capability on the websites.

Anyone have Sync yet and know the answer to thi?
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Posts: 124
    Not sure whether anyone linked to this yet - but a good write-up.

http://pimpblog.com/?p=68#more-68
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    That's actually their answer to the TripTunes Deluxe which Ford introduced back around the Detroit show too. Same exact thing. The Sync is worlds ahead of both of those.
    The Sync is only exclusive to Ford until November 2008.
    So, I wonder what other manufacturers will be offering their version of the Sync in their 2009 models?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Any other manufacturer will have to call the system something else.

Also, not all features will be available with all phones. Even a phone from one carrier might have different bluetooth capabilites than the same exact phone from a different carrier.

As for Nav instructions through Sync this does not seem possible right now unless those instructions would be played through a bluetooth earpiece, the won't be played through Sync. Sync will do bluetooth streaming stero thought through some phones. See www.syncmyride.com for a not so exhustive list of tested phones.

Mark
    I don't think there is any smartphone nav system that plays audio through through the normal bluetooth handsfree profile stream you use for phone calls. However, if the phone is a AD2P capable stereo bluetooth phone and you enable bluetooth stereo streaming, isn't all the other phone audio routed through the wireless regardless to it being a locally saved music file, streaming internet radio or the nav system voice?

Isn't AD2P streaming the wireless equivalent of plugging a cable into the headphone jack of the phone and connecting it into the AUX input jack of the car stereo?

I don't know the answer to this question, but if the answer is yes, then I can't see any reason why this would not work if you are using a phone compatible with Sync bluetooth audio streaming.

I hope someone tries this.
  • I am awaiting delivery of a factory ordered 2008 Edge Limited AWD. It will have the DVD Navigation system. Both myself and my wife will be driving the vehicle. Will Sync recognize both our voices?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Yes - it doesn't require any training.
    The navigation system doesn't use Sync. It has it's own completely separate voice recognition system.
    Maybe the next generation navigation system will be fully integrated with Sync.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    He was asking specifically about Sync, but the answer is the same for both Sync and Navigation - they both respond to multiple voices without training.
    Since he made the point of bringing up the DVD navigation, it sounded like he thought the nav system used Sync.
  • Thanks for the replies. I have been researching the Sync system through various web sites, and did realize that the Navigation was separate. Nevertheless from your replies I realize that both systems will recognize multiple voices. When my wife forgets her cell phone and tries to use voice recognition on my phone it will not work. Hence my question about sync voice recognition.

I presently drive a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T RWD with a Navigation system that is quite a disappointment. I end up using my portable Garmin Nuvi. We travel to Southern California for the months of March and April, via I-15, through Montana, Idaho, Utah etc. and last year we had two days on H---, with snow and ice on the roads. My wife threatened to fly this year. With an AWD and the snyc system she is back on board for driving down.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I just returned my 2005 Magnum RT RWD two weeks ago at the end of its lease. My wife has ordered a 2008 Edge Limited. My Mag didn't have the Nav but I sure loved that car. Today I read that Chrysler is killing the Magnum. Too bad, as it was a very practical and fun to drive car as far as I am concerned. We are looking forward to the new Edge and the SYNC. Wife never cared for the look of the Mag and loves the Edge, so domestic bliss wins out! My mid life crisis car is history.
  • The Magnum is one of the best driving vehicles I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few. The Hemi is terrific for cruising on long trips, with no downshifts. Other than some minor glitches, and terrible Continental tires, it has been repair free. My wife loved the look of the vehicle, but hated driving it in close quarters, as she had trouble seeing what was in back. I installed a rear view camera but that did not help.

Our trip south last year turned the tide to start looking for an AWD vehicle. She has a Honda Civic for around town.

We have owned a number of Ford Windstars, that treated us well and we also had to have room for our golf clubs which we usually have with us in the summer and on the trip south.

We drove a number of crossover vehicles and had narrowed our choice down to a 2008 Toyota Highlander or 2008 Hyundai Veracruz Limited. We both happened to see a Ford Ad on T.V describing the 2008 Edge and the Sync system. We decided to talk to the fellow we had bought our vans from at the Ford
    dealership.

He had limited information on the 2008 Edge, but while we were there a carrier brought in a new 2008 Edge and we learned about the vehicle together. We went for a test drive, in a 2007 SEL plus, and by the time we got back to the lot my wife declared this was the best riding and most comfortable vehicle. As you say domestic bliss wins.

I love gadgets and have been devouring everything I can find on the computer about the Sync system, and Navigation system. I could not see any info about voice recognition and thus my post on this forum.
    Here are some people playing with Ford Sync in the new Ford Focus, but they can't get it work properly.
    I'm not sure they really know the titles of the songs they have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fec8XfTImc
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    UNLIKE THE NISSAN system, anyone can use any phone that is paired to the vehicle. No training is required.

Sync does work but can only recognize meta data in your music tracks. If you tell it to "Play genre rock" and you have a Clint Black song labeled as "Rock" it will play that song.

If you have tracks that you got from friends or made yourself, you may have to correct the meta data in those tags.

Mark.