Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Edge SYNC Bluetooth SiriusXM Audio Questions

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    MKX offers Adaptive steering headlamps in the Ultimate Pkg.

Right now HIDs do not appear to be in the future.

Mark
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    "I apologize for that cheap shot. I was trying to be funny. Thats probably why I don't try to make my living as a commedian."

OK, cool. Bill Maher should've been something else too.

OnStar communications is by cell phone. GPS operations of course is satellite.

Certainly the cost of hybrids over non has to be factored. I tried to justify turning my Lincoln LS (22mpg) into a Prius (45mpg?) and found it would be close to 10 years til I made up the diff in cost. That was a good answer for me :)
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    If you have to pay more to buy the hybrid then you'll ever save through fuel economy in the time you own the car then IMHO the all you are getting is HYPE!

Read the last sentence of this review. If C&D is right about the price then these GM beasts are HYPE X 2!!!
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    Yeah, 50% better gas mileage than a non-hybrid Tahoe. That's hype all right.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Yeah, and if it starts at $48k as predicted that's $13k MORE than a gas only Tahoe. That makes the time to recover the purchase price difference out of reach which was the point of this line of discussion.

Did you read how they only managed 12 mpg in the gas Tahoe? Just in case you didn't, they drove it like a drag racer and used the remote start "a lot". EPA says 14 in the city.

So assuming 12k miles driven per year, $3 per gallon of gas, 14 mpg average for the gas Tahoe (which is still probably low but I don't have better numbers for either at this point) and 18 mpg average for the Hybrid Tahoe it would take just over 22 years to make up the difference in purchase price with gas savings alone. That does not factor in replacement battery packs, which are usually required every 10 years at a cost of roughly $6k+ (not covered by warranty either at that point in time).

But hey, if that works for you then by all means buy one!

Here's the math if you want to check it. Maybe I'm leaving something out that I don't know about.

Hybrid:
    Purchase price $48k (estimate and assuming 2WD)
    12,000 (miles per year) / 18 mpg = 667 gallons of gas per year
    667 gallons * $3 per gallon = $2,001 spent on gas per year

Gas:
    Purchase price $35,000 (2WD 4.8L V8)
    12,000 (miles per year) / 14 mpg = 857 gallons of gas per year
    857 gallons * $3 per gallon = $2,571 spent on gas per year

Difference:
    $2,571 for gas per year - $2,001 for gas per year = $570 less for gas per year for the Hybrid

$13,000 difference in purchase price / $570 less per year for gas = 22.8 years

A gas Tahoe 4X4 with the 5.3L V8 is $38,800 to start with. That's a $9,200 price difference and the EPA ratings are the same for that larger motor. So for that one you'll only need 16.4 years to make up the purchase price difference. Again, that's without factoring in the pricey battery replacement.

All hype. GM is going in the wrong direction with this IMO. They should be using diesels like Mercedes and others and even the Lamdas would benefit from that too.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,282
    Edmunds will calculate most of that out to 5 years with the TCO tool. :shades:

We've been enjoying a similar thread over in the $4 a Gallon Gas discussion:

kdhspyder, "What will you do when gas price rises above $4 a gallon?" #2640, 13 Nov 2007 3:36 pm

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I just got a 2008 EDGE that came with Synch and Sirius, based on my reserach I don't think we can control the sat radios from Sirius using Synch, is that right ? Does anyone know ?

Also I can;t seem to switch stations using the controls on the weel, I just want to do a staion by staion search but when I press the "next" button it always takes me to 184, any ideas ?

Thanks
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,723
    Try reading the owner's manual. Seriously - that's why they put them there. There may be a supplement for Sync.
  • mcq1mcq1 Posts: 103
    Can you pair more than one phone like HIS/HERS? Thanks for the post. Good info. I want to get the sync without the NAVI.
    I think you can pair up to 6 phones at a time, but check the website to be sure:
    http://www.syncmyride.com

As for the glovebox light - that was removed on several vehicles years ago during the nickel/dime cost cutting era. I'm sure they'll be back as the vehicles get redesigned.
    You can pair plenty of Phones but you can only pick one to be your favorite.

The Favorite phone is the one Sync will connect too if more than ONE paired phone is in the vehicle at the same time. You can get around this by just turning off bluetooth on the phone you DO NOT want to connect.

Mark
    The up and down button on the steering wheel takes you between PRESETS. So until you set your presets, it only goes to 184 which is the default preset

There are no Sync features for Sat radio that don't already have a steering wheel button.

On a Voice Activated Nav radio, you can use the command "Tune" then say a channel number"

Mark.
    So let us say I paired my husband's phone and mine. We setup his as favorite when I enter the car by myself with my cell phone will the system know that it only needs to work with mine not the favorite?
    thanks for the post again
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,015
    Yes, it will work that way.

It will only connect with one phone at a time, and the favorite will have preference.
  • I have an IPOD video (5th generation). A graphic of it appears in nearly every Ford Sync ad I have seen. When I connect it to the USB, it works great, except if I try to use Voice commands to "Play " and some song title, the Sync chimes and says "Voice recognition not available on this device." I find this hard to believe, because when the IPOD is connected, it displays a friendly Ford logo on the screen and disables all other controls on the IPOD (so you can't pick the song on it).

Lacking voice recognition of song titles, the Sync is worthless -- nothing more than a fancy CD player -- because you have to scroll through the songs on the dashboard (while you're driving) to pick one to play. I'm thinking this is firmware glitch on the Sync and it will be interesting to see how quickly a firmware update comes available for it. I am using the latest Ipod firmware available.

What a disappointment!

Joe
    Did you interrupt the indexing?

IPOD video is a "recommended device." You need to visit www.syncmyride.com and there is a pointer there to some info at apple that will help you.

Mark
    If you are having problems, visit www.syncmyride.com

Be aware that the #1 cause of Sync issues is attributable to human error.

Mark
    I figured out your problem.

If you want your IPOD to be controlable by the Sync system, you have to connect it with the USB cord, not the audio cord from the headphone jack.

YES the USB cord, the one you use to connect your IPOD to your computer.
    You might have to pick up another one. 2 bad the IPODS don't use generic USB cords :(

Mark
    Well I think we did something to our Sync. The voice recognition button on the steering wheel is not responding. The prompt for the command is gone.HELP! I think I need to take it to the dealer.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124171

Looks like it will start with 2009 models coming out later this year.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    It looks it is getting to be more OnStar-like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_F648hEyiQ
  • Hello,

Has any Ford sync owners had problems with the Ipod and sync usb?
    The problem i have is sync recoginizes the ipod then disconects the usb for some reason. When i try to re conect it look for Bt devices only.

I have disconnected bt and tried factory reset still has problem.
  • My daughter is looking to get a 2008 Focus SES to include Sync and other things. It's my understanding that 'upgrades' to Sync (such as the 911 function) will be available for older Sync systems, basically like a software upgrade (correct?). But what about Sirius? That's not an option she was considering before, but I do like the upcoming 'Travel' capabilities. Does anyone know if that will be a 'software upgrade' available to Sirius options purchased now, or more of a hard-wired component? Thanks!

It's been great reading the posts here :)
    Software upgrades to Sync can be downloaded from the syncmyride.com website to a usb flash drive, then inserted into the sync usb port and the software will upgrade itself. They've already provided one update for French users. I thought the travel upgrades were linked into the Nav system, but I'm not 100% sure. I think if you have Sync, Sirius and Navigation then you should be able to get the Travel features via upgrade later but again I'm not 100% sure.
    If you're having this problem, try turning off the automatic phonebook download. That workaround has succeeded for several people.
    You should absolutely order Sirius. I sold 111 new Ford Lincoln Mercurys and they all had Sirus on them with the possible except of a random factory order Truck.

If you decide you don't lke Sirius just let the subscription run out after 6 months. You'll still make up the $195 in resale value.

Incidently if you do let the Sirius run out, you'll be the first one I've heard of to do that.

If you want to go and ad the receiver after the fact, it will cost around $500!

Mark.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Apparenly, Sirius is about to merge with XM. (Sirius)

That should make it even more interesting.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023
    A reporter seeks to interview buyers of models equipped with Ford Sync. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, February 1 with your daytime contact information and a sentence or two about why you purchased Sync.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Well, as it turns out, we couldn't get Sirius with the other options she wanted on a car that we could 'take delivery by 1/31' for a rebate incentive. Figure it's easier down the road to install the Sirius rather than Ambient Lighting :-)

Now starts the fun of 'training' with Sync!
    IF you are having problems with an iPhone after the software update for it, try deleteing it as a device from Sync and then pairing it again.

Also, I was able pair and download contacts for a customer that had a new Treo. Previously Treos wouldn't even pair.

Mark.