Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Noises and Sounds

2»

Comments

• jerry94jerry94 Posts: 3
    My wife and I moved from Ca. to Southern Utah last January,and being in snow conditions wanted a 4x4 SUV. As we couldn't afford a new one we bought a used EXT 2002 TB from a used car dealer. The car was used by the original owner to commute from ST George UT. to Los Vages for several years,so it has high millage. The car looked well taken care of and regular maintaince looked to be done on it. As we bought it in the winter, the windows were always rolled up when driving,but we could always hear a slight noise, what I would describe as a slight grinding noise. seemed like it was coming from the dash. I thought perhaps a vent fan.As the weather has got better and in Cedar City UT,you can drive around most of the time without A/C with the windows are down. The other day this noise was really getting to me,but when you come to a stop light the noise goes away. Being a "shade tree mechanic" years ago when you could still do some things your self,I thought drive line. When I got hone I crawled under the TB grabbed the drive shaft, and you could wiggle it back and forth a little, and sure enough the noise was about the same. So it appears the u-joints need replaced. My question is can an old "shade tree mechanic" do this at home with it up on jack stands with basic tools. or do you need a special press to press out the u-joint?
  • jerry94jerry94 Posts: 3
    The same guy the posted the drive line noise. Two other questions. When you start the TB, not every time but perhaps 80% of the time there is a loud knocking noise from the dash. 3-4 loud knocks.I am thinking a vent door opening or closing. Once in awhile it will do it while driving, but most of the time at start up. Also it seems like the engine really winds up before the tranny shifts. Sometimes it has to reach around 3000 rpm before shifting. Is this normal? Thanks for any help.P.S. It has the in line 6
  • gartergarter Posts: 1
    Hi: 2006 TB R/R wheel area a growling type sound for 1 r 2 revoltions and its gone? any ideas as to what it might be? Please don't say bearing
  • The same happened to me. No acceleration, got worse over time. It was a clogged catalytic converter. I had it replaced (at 86,000mi) however, the shop cracked my exhaust manifold getting it off and would not take responsibility for it. I have not fixed that yet but acceleration is back to brand new.
  • How would I begin to file a claim with GM? I am so sick and tired of the problems with my 03 Trailblazer..I only have 66,000 miles on it and I would compare it to a truck that had 300,000 miles on it!!
  • I bought a 2003 Trail Blazer 4x4 but I've noticed a noise with vibration in the steering wheel, this noise, and vibration starts when i accelerate and increases depending on the speed, but his only happens when driving in straight line or right turn. if I turn left even sligthly the sound and vibration ends, I'm driving it in 2H, and even the 4DWH and 4H makes that sound, What can be the problem?
  • mkb3mkb3 Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 TB with the inline 6 and I have the same knocking noise -usually 3 knocks- in the dash in front of the steering column. It happens at start up or within the first 3 minutes of driving.

I also have a problem with the healights turning off while driving and don't know if these are related.
  • I have a 2008 TB that I bought in July of this year with only 10,714 miles on it. It has developed a loud popping/knocking noise mostly upon start-up but it has happend when in reverse and also in drive. I have had to the dealership 2 times, once they said that it was the drive shaft and the second time they said it could possibly be the AC clutch. They said that they could not duplicate the noise. Does anybody have any ideas of where to go now.
  • n3xjtn3xjt Posts: 2
    In 2WD, when decelerating, from between 40 and 50 MPH,I get a grinding noise in the front end, it almost sounds like it is trying to engage the 4WD. If I put the selector in AWD, the noise goes away. It has been so cold, I haven't had the opportunity to take the wheels off and inspect. I did take a peek at the CV joints, and the boots look intact. Any help would be appreciated.
    :confuse:
  • fj4072fj4072 Posts: 29
    Have the upper and lower control arms looked at.
  • fj4072fj4072 Posts: 29
    I forgot the most common issue. Check the hood latch and the bump stops, these can make a lot of squeaky noises.
  • ljansonljanson Posts: 1
    i had this same problem with my 2003 TB.. just got it fixed by resetting the system.they said... they called it a "calibration error" they also said "calibration outdated the PCM calibration needed to be updated to correct concern" and..." PCM controls fan clutch engagement"." the ticking noise is caused by PCM timing when to en gauge and disengage the fan clutch at idle speed.".

i just got it back and so far the knocking noise is gone...
  • gjb61gjb61 Posts: 1
    i have the same problem, i changed both outer front axles front end synthetic oil and rotors and pads. after changing the right side the noise changed from a constant drone to a drone that goes away as you steer to one side. i am wondering if the center shaft is the problem and when i engaged the right shaft into it that changed something. any feedback-help will be appreciated.
  • mbassettmbassett Posts: 1
    I have an intermittent noise that plays through the speakers, with the radio on. The noise seems to change in pitch as i accelerate and reduce speed. The noise comes and goes, but never when I have it at the chevrolet dealership. I have had it there 3 times, but they cannot duplicate sound. This has been going on for more than 50k miles and I am up to 89k. I think that the noise is coming from something in the engine. Does anybody have any ideas? I want to get rid of truck, but I don't want to dump this problem on someone else.
    Thanks
  • My 2004 TB is also sounding like a tractor trailer. My husband thinks it is the manifold. If you have a bad manifold, would it make a put put sound when you accelerate?
    Also, my vehicle has a sound coming from under the back rear when I go over small bumps. It's like the rear end is going to fall off. My vehicle sounds like I'm in a cartoon (put put, clink clink, rattle rattle). Someone, anyone do you have a theory. :confuse:
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Could be an exhaust manifold leak, but it's by no means is for sure. The noise in the back shouldn't be hard to locate if it's that bad. Whatever it is probably is very loose, but someone has to get under there and look. Usually in this case you need to jack the rear from under the axle so the rear suspension stays in the unextended position, but I don't have any trouble crawling under our 02 for a quick look underneath without jacking it up.
  • n3xjtn3xjt Posts: 2
    I have found the issue.
    It was called Spline disconnect, which was caused by the bearings gone out of the 4WD front disconnect. It is located on the passenger side of the engine block, the CV Shaft from the passenger side goes into this. I replaced the bearings, and rebuilt the assembly. And fixed my issue. ;)
  • I have 2 problems...
    I have a 2003 Trailblazer that "CHIRPS". . I replaced the front and back brakes and rotors, the chirp still continued. (Brakes and Rotors were necessary) Turn the Air Conditioner on and the CHIRP is present, turn the Air Conditioner off and the CHIRP disappears!! ?????
    I also had a SERVICE ENGINE SOON light that comes on. Autozone ran a diagnosis test on it and said I was running 'rich' and my ECT sensor was faulty. Bought a bottle of Lucas Fuel Treatment and Injector Cleaner and added it to the full tank. Bought a new ECT sensor and put that on. (Changed the plugs since they were never changed and I have 125,000 miles on it.) Cleaned and re-oiled the K & N air filter. Started it up and it ran like a top.
    Thought everything was GREAT. On the way home the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came back on. Back to AutoZone... now their test shows that the thermostat is not working properly. Will get a new one tomorrow.
    But does anyone have any idea why the CHIRP is being heard?? ONLY when the AC is on.. do not hear it when the air conditioner is off. Car Manual and Haynes Manual do not address it.. help please
  • I also changed the Serpentine belt.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,841
    edited July 2011
    Bit of a long shot, but some belts have logos that are painted on and sometimes the logos can make an irritating noise as the belt goes around the pulleys.

If you can make the chirp go away by applying some belt dressing, that may be the issue.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    With that many miles the belt tensioner or idler pulley could be getting weak. The chirping sound is quite often the belt slipping over the pulleys slightly. Turning on the A/C puts more load on it. Also the belt alignment should be looked at, a worn idler or tensioner pulley bearing can put it out of alignment.
  • :confuse: My TB makes a "chhh chhh chhh" noise between 30-50 mphs. Seems to come from front/drivers side. I have hit the 100,000 mile mark. Does anyone know what this could be and how we can fix it?
  • th6397th6397 Posts: 1
    Is it ki da like a dull hone kinda noise because my fathers Tb had the same kinda noise then it generated a kind of tingy noise to it while idling after he let the hone go without getting it checked id say it is something with the exhaust if I described what u are hearing
  • I have the exact same thing with our 07, did you ever get it figured out, also can't get it to make that sound when we bring it in.
2»