Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Noises, Rattles, and Squeaks

Comments

• hallfamilyhallfamily Posts: 1
    Hi there.new here and trying to figure out my van. Its an 06 sienne LE and it has about 11,000 miles on it. Its not even 2 years old, and we dont drive it often...obviously!

So, about 4 months ago, while breaking, hitting 20-25mph, a dinging noise starts...and as I continue to break, it gets faster as I break until I stop. It has been in the shop 2 times to figure it out. 1st time, they resurfaced the breaks...then they took the breaks apart. They said nothing is wrong and the noise isnt causing any problems with the car....Obviously, Im quite upset since then noise is there and why it cant be fixed, I dont know! Can anyone help me with this?
  • lubang1lubang1 Posts: 6
    hi! anusha im alex, and i have the same problem with you. my car is sienna 04, i brought it to toyota dealer twice, at first they haven"t found anything they diagnose it but they didnt find anything, second time they put fuel injector and combustion cleaner but nothing happend, eversince im using 93 octane fuel, i never use 87 or 89, but i dont even know why it happen to my car. When im accelerating i hear knocking at my engine. pls send me email if u already fix your car and how did u did it? pls. this is my email ar rio_daniel25@hotmail.com
    hi! my name is alex and i live in toronto canada too! I have the same problem with anusha, I have sienna 04 and i heared knocking on my engine while im accelerating, but it was not happen all the time, it is not constant noise. when i accelerate slow knocking engine comes out but when i accelerate hard it does not come out. I brought it to 2 dealer but they didnt find anything, they put combustion cleaner anf fuel injector but it doesnt help. since i bought my sienna i always use 93 octane gas, thats why im wondering why my engine is knocking. and it my engine started to knock when i reach 100,000. I dont know if theres is connection with my milage. pls give me advice regarding this matter. Coz im totally dissapointed with my toyota sienna. Thank you so much!!!!
  • lweekslweeks Posts: 12
    MY DEALER, AND TOYOTA H/O ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THIS. DO WHAT I DID. SOLD THE VAN PRIVATELY, & BOUGHT A NEW HONDA CIVIC. NO MORE HIGH TEST GAS, AND GETTING 42 MPG CANADIAN GALLONS LLOYD 7
  • yatesjoyatesjo Posts: 186
    I have to wonder why someone would drive a minivan when they could get by with a car as small as a Honda Civic?

That said, how long is it taking for these rattles to become apparent? While I would expect body creaks and rattles to increase with age, intake and engine noise should be evident early, barring a mechanical failure.
  • yatzekcsyatzekcs Posts: 2
    I switched from GM to Toyota and took me sometime to get used to they way the van drives. The first time we noticed it we thought that was just a fluke and it won't happen again. We were wrong, it kept happening so I took it to the dealer. Well, that was around summer time last year.. The problem is not fixed as of now.
    For many ppl this will be something that they are willing to accept but not for me. I drive fast, often on the h-way in the range of 140 km and this is about the 2500. There is no way that anyone will keep it at that rpm because it is just too noisy. I have 2 choices go slower or faster. I usually choose the second option. In the city, with normal driving the van changes gears just before it hits 2500 or right after hitting it. But since it is so short time, some ppl wont even know... but if you know about it, you will hear every time it happens. Not sure if ALL Sienna's have it or just some but give it a try, maybe yours doesn't do it. Then you have a good van and maybe a good dealer that will stand behind the product that they sell.
    hall family ur car is the same with me sienna LE 04. same with your problem. its been 3 shop dealer i brought my van and the last 1 figure out the problem. The problem is thansmission. when u reach at the certain gear the noise starting isnt"? same with me the problem is the transmission on my second gear. good thing I have warranty and I dont have to pay anything. they gonna change the whole transmission and it cost $5000. I ges your problem is your transmission too!!!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    "NO MORE HIGH TEST GAS"

Was that ever even a requirement? I don't think so...
    HI im Alex from toronto! I just want to know if u already fix your sienna? coz we have both same problem. my dealer rest the computer but still der my engine si still diesling, but not much as compare before. Thank you very!
    hi my name is alex, I just want to know if u already fix ur problem coz i think we both we have the same problem. Thank you!
  • No, my problem is not fixed. Dealer said that they submitted a ticket to Toyota Engineers and if they will hear from them, they will contact me. If they don't hear from them, it means they think it's not a problem.

It's been few months and I didn't hear from them :(

The loud hum noice while accelerating still exists, and it is still a BIG PROBLEM

What about others?
    i brought my sienna to dealer and iask them to go driving with me together with their master technician, I ask them the master technician not just only technician. Then we go fod driving test, the master technician heard the noise. The nosie dosent happen all the time only from specific RPM, and from slow acceleration. He said that my engine is diesling, then he reset the ECU. Just go to your dealer and ask for TSB pinging or knocking noise of engine. They gonna reset your computer.TSB means technical service bulletin
  • Hi
    I test drove a 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited last week and was surprised at the road noise. The noise became louder and louder and higher speeds, especially on the parkway traveling at 50-60 mph. Is this normal?? I also heard a slight rattle on the passenger side that concerned me. I drove 2 additional siennas one limited, one xle and the limited was noticeably quieter however the xle seemed to be just as loud. Is this some type of design flaw. I would really appreciate any feedback I can get on this matter because I plan to buy a used sienna and I want to make sure that I'm making the right decision.
  • siennamisiennami Posts: 116
    Hi, there,
    The road noise could possibly come from the brand of tires that are on the vehicle. I have read that some people have changed out the tires that are original to the vehicle for others. Is the rattling sound coming from the sliding door or the passenger front door? My '07 developed a rattling in the sliding door. It is now fixed. It could be the age of the car and how the previous owner took care of it. I'm surprised that you had a lot of road noise, because normally Siennas are pretty quiet.
    Best wishes on your search. I think you'll enjoy the Sienna once you find the right one for you!
  • Greetings,
    Thanks so much for responding. The vehicle was a 2005 sienna limited fwd. Initially it sounded as if the rattling was coming from the passenger side rear, and I immediately thought that it may be the jack in the rear compartment, but I also heard it up front on the passenger side. I believe your right about the care of the previous owner because when I test drove 2005 same model it was DRAMATICALLY DIFFERENT. The noise was there but it certainly wasn't as pronounced. I plan to continue my search which can be very frustrating at times. I just want to be comfortable with the purchase. Thanks again.
  • skevinskevin Posts: 5
    Just read about your problem regarding the load humm noise from your Sienna. I have a 2000 sienna which just started making a noise that occurs around 2200 rpm, and reminds me of a leaking compressed air sound. I was curious if the problem you had maybe what I am having and what resolution if any did you find. Appreciate your help.
  • ericnjericnj Posts: 1
    I drove my 05 sienna le from NJ to Florida last month. After coming back, I brought it to the oil change and tire balancing in the dealer. After that, I heard the noise coming out from the hood and I figured out the noise is under or behind the running belt. I don't know what happen yet, but will take it to the dealer.
  • jtoyjtoy Posts: 2
    Hi there!
    I too have 2000 sienna and it also started making the same " leaking compressed air sound " few days ago. I haven't taken it in yet, but am wondering how you made out ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !
    Thank You,
    Jay
  • skevinskevin Posts: 5
    I will be taking it to a mechanic next Tuesday so good or bad I should know soon. When I mentioned the problem to the mechanic (he is a certified Honda Mechanic) he thought based on what I described he said it might be an engine misfire, although the OBD II does not indicate such. I should mention my van makes the noise between 2000 and 2300 rpm. I will update next week.
  • jtoyjtoy Posts: 2
    I took my van to a mechanic and he determined that it was a loose heat shield by the cat converter. A simple gear clamp wrapped around it and tightened fixed the problem. To find out if it's the same problem, tap your rear exhaust tip with your hand (after it's cooled) and if you hear a bumping noise that's the problem. You might need someone else to tap it as you listen for it up front.

He charged me $20 bucks and I haven't heard the noise since.

Good luck with yours. Keep me updated.