Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Noises, Rattles, and Squeaks

124»

Comments

• ottawa_ladottawa_lad Posts: 3
    I got my 2011 Sienna LE in March 2011. I had a rattle coming from the back since the day of delivery. It was very annoying. It was coming from the little plastic sled between the two rear seats. When my kids held their hand on it the rattle went away. Finally had the car back to the dealer for the first time today for that parking brake recall. They said I needed a new seat part and track. They will call me when the part comes in, so I can't say yet if they solved the problem. Sounds like I am not alone.
  • sky1arksky1ark Posts: 2
    We have a 2011 sienna and passenger sliding door rattles. Aside from the fact that we have turned off the power door option after having them get stuck so many times, we now have this rattle coming from the door. It almost sounds like the window is loose. I'm tired of the run around from dealer. Does anyone know what this is?
  • sky1arksky1ark Posts: 2
    Anyone having trouble with a rattling noise in passenger door of 2011 sienna? Sounds like the window isn't shut tight.
  • We had this problem in a 2008 Sienna-Took two years of effort and finally they replaced door lock assemblies in both sliding doors and that took care of the problem. Good luck.
  • In the rattling seat track/sled problem I mentioned earlier, my dealer actually had the audacity to suggest it might be due to the fact that I installed non-Toyota seat covers on the seats! I didn't know Toyota even made seat covers, but that was just ridiculous. Why would putting seat covers over the upholstery cause a rattle in the seat track/sled? And why for non-Toyota covers but not Toyota covers? He also asked me if I had removed the seats to install the seat covers. I did not, but I said "So what if I did, they are removable seats, are they not?". They seemed to be grasping at anything to deflect or deny responsibility for these rattles, which were there from the day of delivery. I couldn't understand why they cared. It was warranty work for which Toyota would pay them! Why dick the customer around?

Consumer reports was right. Nice van, and one of their two recommended minivans (Honda the other), but definitely dropping in quality, fit, and finish. This Sienna (2011 LE) seems cheaper inside than my last one (a 2000 LE), has had more initial quality problems, and lets far more road noise intrude into the cabin. Off the lot, I actually paid $200 less for my 2011 LE than I paid for my 2000 LE. That should have tipped me. Ten years later, how can the same trim line of a car cost less? They cut quality/corners, that's how! Still the best van out there, but not as good as before.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    definitely dropping in quality, fit, and finish

CR dinged the new Ody as well; it also scored lower than its predecessor.

Kia just added a new powertrain, but I think when they do the full redesign they have a real opportunity to take leadership in this segment.

Right now? I'd shop pre-owned, to be completely honest.
  • I have a 2011 model purchased in 2010, 40,ooo miles on it and it sounds like a diesel engine when cold, the Toyota tech representative said it is piston slap and it is normal. If piston slap is normal with a Toyota that is new, what is it going to sound like at 100,000 miles. If it makes it there. What a disapointment. The independant mechanics I have consulted all agree that it is NOT right for an engine in this era to have piston slap. Toyota defenetlly is not in my future. Consult with your independant mechanic. Good luck with Toyota.
  • yanifyanif Posts: 4
    We bought a 2012 Sienna LE, and the interior rattling noise already started in second week. It sounds like two aluminum beach chairs hitting each other. The noise appears coming from the second row seat behind driver. When the seat cushion is depressed lightly by hand, clicking noise can be heard. Has anyone have the same problem? How can it be fixed?
  • stratus78stratus78 Posts: 16
    Hi Spsienna,

Did you get this sound fixed? I got the same rattle. I moved the right 2nd row seat a little bit and the sound stopped for sometime before restarting. Thank you...

Hem
  • Thanks for your ideas, but my rattle is in the engine, the Toyota factory representative says that it is PISTON SLAP and that it is normal, well if that rattle is normal and it lasts till the engine is good and warm ( 10 minutes in southern CA.), then it is a big engine flaw, a big pice of junk that the piston is banging against the cylinder till it is warm is bonkers. The rattle is getting worse as more miles are on the engine. Toyota just does not want to admit that they have a problem engine. Piston slap is normal on some engines but it goes away after 1 minute of warm up time. In this case I think the piston is slapping around in the cylinder for the tolarences are just to big and they know it.
  • stratus78stratus78 Posts: 16
    Hi Yanif (mistakenly referred to you as spsienna),

Did you get this sound fixed? I got the same rattle. I moved the right 2nd row seat a little bit and the sound stopped for sometime before restarting. Thank you...

Hem
  • Yes it was fixed. Something to do with the long slide seat track.

On the invoice, it was
    1 72170-08010 TRACK ASSY, RR SE
    1 72190-08010 TRACK ASSY, RR SE
    2 72129-08040-EO PROTECTOR, SEAT T
    2 72129-08030-EO PROTECTOR, SEAT T
    1 72129-08040-EO PROTECTOR, SEAT T

Covered under warranty, as you'd expect since the rattle was there from the day we drove it home.
  • momster3momster3 Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I am having the same problem with the 2011 Sienna driver's side sliding door. I have taken it to the Toyota dealer twice and they still haven't fixed it. One day they had it for 8 hours and put a piece of felt in it to stop the noise. Now it is worse. I hope someone here has had some success in getting theirs fixed, so I can have an idea of what I can tell them to look for. I have owned Toyota's for many years and I love everything about this one, except it seems to be far more noisy than any others we have owned.
  • Every Sienna I've ever been in was a nasty rattler. Toyota cutting corners really stands out, the Sienna is a sea of hard dull looking plastics throughout, nah not for me. Might as well buy a Caravan for a lot less money and it will do as good a job.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Sorry but that's a ridiculous statement. I've been in many Siennas as quiet as a tomb.

Hyperbole at its worst.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,729
    Has much to do with customer upkeep. Keep all the door seals well lubed (Shin Etsu grease or other rubber dressings), and the van (any van) will remain whisper quiet. If they dry out, the doors will creak and rattle, wind noise intrudes, etc.

Net: It's largely up to you.
  • yanifyanif Posts: 4
    Hi stratus78,

I finally brought in my vehicle to a Toyota dealer today to have them take a look. I also mentioned TSB 0180-12 for this problem. Then they told me that a new seat frame had been ordered. So I'll wait to see whether this will fix the problem.

Have you got your problem fixed?
124»