Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Vibration/Pulsation/Bouncing

124»

Comments

• My son is on the road home. He has a 2004 Dodge 1500 ram pu w/Hemi engine. While driving feels like brakes are grabbing and speed is actually reducing. This accompanied by an intermittent squealing and grinding noise. While moving when the noise stops the right rear brake feels like it is grabbing and slowing down the speed, although he is not applying the brakes. Fluid levels are fine and tried checking all the fuses nothing has changed. Also checked the emergency brake.
  • hdrexhdrex Posts: 2
    if youve already pulled off the back tires and physically checked the brakes id be guessinng its a wheel bearing or something in the rear end could drop the cover on the rear end and see if there's metal shavings
  • I am in the gearbox manufacturing business and whoever is telling you that metal shavings inside the differential is "normal" doesn't know what they are talking about. Could be worn gears, bad bearings (new ones do fail) bad races or cages. You need to have this checked out thoroughly and the differential drained, flushed and inspected.
  • @davelb

I have a 2003 1500 Hemi 2 wheel drive. A vibration begins in the rear end around the 60 mile an hour mark and worsens at around 70..it travels all the way into the steering wheel, driver and passenger seat, etc. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to start until I am about 15-20 minutes into driving. Not really sure if it is better or worse in cold versus warm weather....I live in Florida. Have had it into several dealers, several shops and no one can come up with any answers excpept to say it must be in the drive train. Have had tires road force tested, numerous parts replaced and I just started believing they were all guessing at the expense of my wallet. A couple of the tires were replaced when they showed slightly out of spec and it made a minor improvement...shocks, made a minor improvement...endless trips to the dealership to leave it for a day or two and then to find out the issue is still there. I finally gave up and have been living with the problem but in Florida on the interstate...if you aren't driving 70+ you are getting run over.

I would really like to get this fixed as I can't afford to take on a new vehicle at this time....if you could, let me know if you feel like this is the same issue you were experiencing.

Also, if anyone knows of a shop or dealer in the Orlando area that they have a good relationship with and can be trusted...i am all ears....i have heard a thousand times...not a problem....we can fix it....to find out it is not fixed and they don't have a solution.

thanks in advance for you advice, comments, insights..
  • davelbdavelb Posts: 11
    As per my prior message on the Ram series. I think you will find your rear end gear or gears are gone or worn out. If your dealer removes the rear end plate and checks the fluid and finds filings and the gears have "back lash" he will probably find that they are worn or greatly out of specification which causes the terrible vibration at high speeds into the steering wheel and through the drivers seat. Once the rear end gears are replaced the vibration should be gone....a fast way on 4x4 models is to disconnect the rear drive shaft and drive the truck as a front wheel drive if there is no more vibration than the problem is isolated to the rear end.
  • 2k3_hemi_2wd2k3_hemi_2wd Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    thanks Dave....at least this gives me something to target and recommend they look into...I really appreciate the time you took to advertise your story....I think it may help alot of people who own these trucks and are getting nowhere with their service pro's. If I do get a resolution...I will be sure to post it here.
  • well i think my 2005 2WD ram 1500 is going thru the same as everybody else is discribing. it has 31000 miles and has just started to vibrate at 30-40 mph taperes of alittle after 40mph and comes back greater 50-60 mph. Just got new tires front end alignment, that did not fix vibration. I am hearing a ticking noise from rearend of truck, could this be u-joints or rear end ?
  • Hi, I have a problem with my 2002 dodge ram sport with the 5.9 motor. When im at low RPMS around 1200, about 40 45 miles per hour my truck tends to skip...its hard to describe what it does, but skipping sounds like the best way to put it. I dont really feel it in the gas peddle but more in the back end. They get pretty violent sometimes as well. I either have to punch the gas or take it out of overdrive and it immediately goes away. Im not too sure what it is if someone could shoot me a line and give me their best opinion that would be great. Thank you. Cody
  • I am having the same problem, i have a 97 Ram 5.9l. It feels like the tranny is grinding the gears when my overdrive is engaged. It mostly only does it when im going up hills on the interstate.
  • replace your rotars they are warped or below spec
  • Wrong firing order or wrong plugs or incorrect gap on the spark plugs
  • miles16miles16 Posts: 4
    hi,
    i have a 2007 quad cab 5.7 hemi....im a.s.e. certified..i hooked my computer up to trans and all number were normal...i feel it want to shift to O.D (NORMAL) IF U have no other issuies i leave it be...

miles
    a.s.e a1 to a9
    g1 and g2(diesel
  • lareaulareau Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab which vibrates at the speed of 30 - 40 mph. The vibration is felt all over, steering wheel, seat, etc. There is no vibration at speeds below or above these speeds. I have had my tires balanced and partial alignment as I was told that the wheel bearing should be check as there is some play but not much. And after I get them replaced to come back and they will do the compete alignment. A friend said that the drive shaft could be out of balance. Can a drive shaft go out of balance? Can that cause the vibration or can it be something else. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • miles16miles16 Posts: 4
    answer 96 dodge, YES IF A DRIVE LINE IS OUT OF BALANCE YES IT WOULD CAUSE A SHAKE.AND SENSE U HAD TIRES BALANCED THE ONLY THING LEFT WOULD BE DRIVE LINE HAVE IT BALANCED AND OR REPLACED. WOULD HAVE A CERTIFIED DRIVE LINE FACILITY INSPECT IT BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.
    GOOD LUCK.......
  • I didn't even have to read all of your complaint. I am an ex District Service and Parts Manager for Chrysler 1996 - 2008. I heard this complaint ALL of the time and experienced it myself during multiple customer complaints and on my own demo units. Chrysler has known about this problem for YEARS. Their response has varied but the most prevalent response was to tell the customer to put sand bags (or any type of weight) in the bed of the truck. That would reduce it but not eliminate it.

If you have aftermarket wheels & tires then you have just taken yourself out of the loop of repairability (unless you get an eccentric mechanic to modify the suspension system for you). Chrysler will deny responsibility and blame it on road surface. I can confirm that aftermarket wheels and tires make it worse because I had a customer bring his vehicle to the dealership with that issue and we removed his wheels & tires and replaced them with a set off of a stock unit. The issue was resolved to the extent that stock wheels & tires will allow it to be but the issue was clearly intensified by the customers aftermarket wheels & tires. You should have seen the look on the customers face as we proved the issue. Funny. But the customer went on to say that was the last Dodge he would ever buy.

If you'll notice, the issue is exacerbated on freeways that are of cement construct. In fact, I've had some customers tell me they allegedly had to slow down because of the violent shaking they experienced. In other words, they had to adjust their driving habits to accommodate the engineering of the truck. On the other hand, when driving on BLACKTOP the issue is not as pronounced.

I can tell you without a doubt you will NEVER get rid of this issue. To Chrysler, the amount of customers that complain is not worth the cost of making an engineering adjustment in future production. Most customers simply accept the issue and move on. Personally, I would never own one for this reason (and I had 12 years at the company). Get used to it.
  • I have 2012 Ram 1500 ,5.7 Hemi, 8-6-4 cylinder system in cruise on hwy driving. Vibration is through entire truck starting at 35 mph to 80 mph with cruise control on in the Eco on Mode where cylinders drop out to save gas regardless of speed and cruise. I get 14.5 m/gal regardless of driving habits from driving like an elderly person to a hot rod driver. I should be getting close to 20 m/gal when cruise is on and running on 4 or 6 cylinders in cruise or foot feet. the vibration is in cruise and foot feed driving. I should be getting 16.5 m/gal city driving at least. Dodge is giving me a run around and does not know what the problem is. Had service and mechanic in truck at same time and they felt vibration in action. Been in shop 4 times and no results in fixing problem. They claim the 8-6-4 system automatically causes this. The transmission is looking for another gear when the Eco system is trying to cut in and with no avail does not happen. Results of 14.5 m/gal only, gas mileage is not what they claim.
  • This 2012 Dodge Ram , 5.7 Hemi has only a liitle over 4000 miles on it and 2 wheel drive
  • 4mrbill4mrbill Posts: 1
    Hello I just picked up my new 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Feb. 27 2013 and yesterday Mar 8 2013 it started doing what you described, but one more thing all the displays/ Nav system changed to spanish, I was able to change it back to english, the truck is going in monday to be checked out. did you get yours fixed?
  • I also have a 2012 Ram 1500 4x2 Longhorn Laramie edition. I purchased off the show room floor. I have had it back 5 times for the same vibration issues. They replaced the wheels and tires with another unit and even replaced the drive shaft... did not work. I had the sales and service manager drive the truck. Both agreed there was something wrong and also said they have never heard of the problem before. They then had an engineer fly in to look at it. Did a pressure balance and then had to get approval from Chrysler to replace the stock tires from Goodyear Wranglers to top of the line Michelin tires. Once they were changed the truck drove better. Engineer said case closed.... but after a few days vibration was back, and a few weeks it was really bad. The new tires have less than 10K miles on them and a very unusual tread wear, and the vibration at 80 mph feels like it could force the truck off the road at this point. They could not and have not fixed the problem and would not buy the truck back. Forced me to get an attorney and now have a law suit going. Very frustrating they will not take ownership of the issue. I have hear it's in the overal design of the truck but not all have this issue.... and they would rather deal with these one by one. Very frustrating... so now we are at the next level.
124»