Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Air Bag Light

We have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2.7 with Automatic Transmission. Our problem is when I am driving the car and my wife is in the front passenger seat. Regardless of whether my wife buckles up before or after turning on the ignition, she frequently gets a seat belt OFF warning light. She is properly positioned upright in the seat with both feet on the floor. She weighs 115 pounds and is 5'4". This really freaks us out because safety was a major buying consideration. It will often, not always though, go off when I will pull over, turn off the engine, and restart. We took it to the dealer and they said there are no Technical Service Bulletins on this problem. Anybody else with this problem? I really thank you all in advance for any feedback!

Comments

• If there are no TSB's, I would politely ask them to fix it anyway....under Warranty.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
    There have been a bunch of complaints about this very problem on the government ODI website for vehicle complaints. www.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints.
    Look up 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Call up Hyundai and find out what the design weight is for the passenger seat to activate the air bag. This is a known common complaint and they must address it if it is part of the safety system. Check on this forum for access to other sitee that can access TSB's.

Alternatively, Go to keywords link on this page and type in TSB's and see what comes up. Sounds like yet another lazy dealership blow-off to me.
  • I recently purchased a new SE and I've got the warning light problem whithout someone in the passenger seat. The dealerhas scheduled the repair for Tuesday 11-14-07 at no cost. I also have the interior light problem. I'm calling HyundaiUSA monday about that because the dealer soesn't have a clue. :(
  • My Air Bag light came on about 3 months after purchase. The dealer replaced the fuse box saying it was defective. Haven't had a problem since.
  • If,. by the interior light the poster is refering to the map lights then there is something interesting happening here.

You would also think they would have put it in a TSB so all Sanmte Fe's would have the Map lights working properly (They probably figured most owners would never know!) :mad:

That would mean that there is Santa Fe stock left over from at least last Jan since that is about the time they "fixed" the map light issue on the line.

Could some of the our owner/members that just got their 07 santas check inside the driver's side door pillar (facing rear) for the build date of their Santa Fe's. I am very curious.as to how well they are really selling (and of course if their map l;ight work properly when a door opens! TIA

Believe it or not, Hyundai seems to have a worse name than Kia does here (Reno, NV) I also see lotsa more small Kia cars than I see kia cars..could be the size of the dealer too i guess
  • I purchased my 07 SF on Oct 1, 2007. The build date is 12/13/06.
    I need the map light fix and it is at my dealers (I ordered it from Hyundai) ready to be installed.
  • Thanks...My build date with the map light issue was also October 2006. Purchased early Feb 2007

My map light was "kitted and fixed" last April (found out about the kit pretty early from a poster here!) and it has worked just fine ever since. Depending on the dealer, figure 45 min - 2 hrs installation time. (pretty simple. Mine took 45 minutes and it was the first they had seen (or even heard of) best of luck!!

Ahhhh, it's nice to see in the dark now that winter is coming round with the shorter days! :)
  • toosnicktoosnick Posts: 4
    We purchased a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 2 months ago. We have noticed the same problem with a passenger 5'5 and 140 lb. It is intermittent, but it also freaks us out. We took it to the dealer who said they could not find anything wrong with it and that there were no service bulletins. They supposedly drove around with a passenger about 130 lb and couldn't get it to happen. This is no surprise, it only happens sporadically. They said they cannot do anything unless they can confirm the problem.

Just brought it home tonight - not fixed, and thought I would search to see if anyone else had experienced problems. The dealer made us sound like this was a strange problem and they had never heard of it.

We have told them we will be contacting Hyundai directly because this is definitely a safety issue, and if the airbag did not deploy in an accident, and we have brought our car in for service for this issue, we will hold Hyundai responsible. I am extremely disappointed to find that a car with 600 miles on it less than 2 months old is experiencing a problem they won't fix with their supposed 5 year bumper to bumper warranty!!!!

Did you ever get this issue resolved? If so, how? :mad:
    This is a known problem -if you go to
    www.-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov and check for complaints about the S.Fe. you will see that there are many complaints related to the same weight/seat sensor issue - in other words if the sensor is working according to design parameters then it is not a defect. If they get someone who is 200 lbs. to sit in the pass. seat, the sensor will work and turn off the air bag "OFF" light. No-one seems to know what the design weight is, however!.

It probably needs a recall as you can imagine what safety issues may arise when they advertise the safey of the S.Fe. and then the air bags don't deploy for a small passenger if there is a wreck.
  • I see my exact complaint regarding my 2007 santa fe in this forum - my 115 lb wife does not trip the air bag sensor. Has anyone had a solution to this problem other than suing Hyundai and/or the dealership?
  • rhonasrhonas Posts: 11
    Same thing - Santa Fe 2007 AWD Limited. The passenger air bag light is on when my daughter 14 years old 105 lbs (not a child anymore) is a passenger. The light is off with my son 170 lbs.
    What is the minimum weight the light goes off according to specs/safety?
  • hodad57hodad57 Posts: 7
    I was just advised by my Hyundai dealership (Wednesday) that Hyundai has issued a "recall" (actually a fix but calling it a recall makes the offer good for an indefinite period of time) for this same problem for the Sonata. I have a copy of the letter that was sent by Hyundai to Sonata owners - apparently, the seat light issue is even more problematic in the Sonata than the Santa Fe. Anyway, I would imagine that a "recall" for owners of Santa Fe's affected by this problem will be forthcoming - hopefully! Other than this 1 issue (of critical importance to my family however), we absolutely love our Santa Fe. Hyundai is having Sonata's with seat issues brought in to the dealership who then takes the seat cushion out and sends it to Hyundai for recalibrating. I would think that Hyundai gives you a replacement vehicle or another seat - I am unsure on that angle of the specifics but this is the latest. Keep pushing for the Santa Fe seat issue to be addressed - Hyundai will feel compelled to follow through on their commitment to building a quality vehicle with customer safety a premier consideration. I feel they want to do the right thing.
  • rhonasrhonas Posts: 11
    Good to know. Actually we do own a brand new 2009 Sonata too - No problem with the passenger air bag with my daughter (105 lbs) as a passenger like in our Santa Fe.
  • RE: Front Air Bag light, 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. Thanks everyone for all the information. It's amazing how many people have this problem. I am now continuing to search on various Government sites for additional information. My hearing is on Tuesday with the Better Business Bureau and Hyundai. I'll let you all know how things turn out. Thanks again. :)
  • I am having the same problem with my front passenger airbag staying on with my Hyundai Santa Fe which is a 2008. It seems to be an intermittent problem but I cannot get anyone to tell me a minimum weight requirement for the front passenger seat. My 21 year old daughter who weighs 130 pounds just had the air bag disengage while she was riding with me during the drive. I am very concerned about this but the dealership I took it to said I was the first to bring a Santa Fe in with this problem and they don't know how to fix it plus it does not do it consistantly. Can anyone shed some light on how I should proceed? Other than this problem we love the car.
  • Hi Edmunds Forum,

I initiated this post about the airbag sensor not deploying for my wife about a year ago. I wanted to let people know that it SEEMS like the problem's frequency has decreased but anxiety about safety from the issue still lingers in the deep recesses of my mind. Like I said, safety was a major reason we bought the vehicle. Other than this and a strange clunky growl from the left front wheel when making a 3 point or U turn, we like the car a lot. Sounds funny to say I like the car except for these 2 major issues of concern as I reread this post before submitting it.

Anyway, I'd like to know how this issue is going for everybody else. When I recently got a Hyundai recall notice in the mail, I was certain it would be for the airbag like an earlier poster noted for the Sonata...but it was for a hitch we never chose to purchase and install.

So, anybody else have any breakthrough news or ???

Thanks.
  • Hi hodad57,

I have the same problem. I have been dealing with it since I bought my 2007 Santa Fe. I had repeated tests conducted at the dealership. Never able to reproduce the problem on site. I talked to customer service at Hyundai and they said that they contacted the regional rep which in turn should have contacted my dealership which should have contacted me in turn. Nothing happened. On my next visit to the dealership, two days ago, I asked them to look at the problem. They were unable to identify a problem with the sensor. They did try to see if they could find a way to replace my seat but apparently they got a no go from Hyundai. They suggested that my wife seats in the back when we drive...my wife is 120lbs and the light goes on or off on a random basis. I called customer service again to understand if there is a way to look at the issue or get the work (replacement, recalibration) authorized. The reply was that if the dealership determines that the seat works as designed they cannot fix or do anything. I asked to speak with engineering to find out what the calibrating weight reference is since my wife's weight is in the adult range to me. He wasn't able to tell what weight they use as reference and then I was told that their policy doesn't allow them to transfer my call to engineering.
    I like my Santa Fe, I also have a Sonata that I like, I have no problems with the dealership or customer service, everybody is very polite. I do have a huge problem with the fact that I have been uncomfortable driving the Santa Fe with my wife in the right seat. I would have expected a more proactive attitude toward a safety concern. Hyundai is building its brand on their safety record, it is sad to see their lack of concern.
  • I bought a used 2003 Hyundai SantaFe 4cyl 2wd in Jan. which I love. But in the last couple of days the idiot light came on and stayed on. If it is telling me that it will shut off when there is a person sitting in the front pass seat weighing over 200 lbs. I had a person sitting there for two days of driving and it did not shut off. It is now on when there is no one sitting. Not sure what to do but call the dealer and check it out. I do not like driving around with the thing lit knowing it might fail if an accident occurred.
  • On 12/26/08 My wife and Daughter were involved in a head on wreck in 2008 Santa Fe. The passenger air bags did not deploy.
    I have just gotten through reading about the senser problem with the seat. My daughter is a 25 yr. old pettie woman. Something needs to be done with this..
    Due to her air bag not deploying she recived very serious injuries. My wifes air bag did deploy but she also recived sever injuries.
    Does anyone know if there is a lawsuit going due to this problem.
    Mike Moore
    I am so sorry that your Wife and Daughter were involved in such a bad wreck and i do hope they recover from their injuries.

As far as i know, there has been no news of a Lawsuit regarding the passenger seat airbag sensor, but there has been plenty of complaints about this issue from the start, also including the Sonata as well.

If you need more ammunition, please refer to posts #3 and #11 for the Governmnent's Automobile Complaints website and look up Hyundai Santa Fe - you will see the list of complaints for your model.