Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Rogue Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Just read your message for the first time. I bought my 08 Rogue new 12/31/07. Nissan has replaced the lifters, put a new short block in, and installed a new transmission. I still have engine problems and transmission problems. I am suing Nissan after doing everything except beg them to negotiate with me. I can tell you that it is important to make sure you get a maintenance sheet each time you visit the dealership with a problem for them to inspect...even if they cannot duplicate the problem. It is important to stay after them - especially during the first year of your new purchase, which it appears that you are beyond. If you continue to experience problems that they "cannot duplicate" and you feel you are getting nowhere, call Nissan1 - Nissan Consumer Affairs - and complain. I did all of this and asked them to purchase the vehicle back...and then to negotiate with me. Nissan flatly refused to do anything. However, the process will provide additional paper-trail that will be needed if you pursue later. Good luck.
  • Just wanted to let you know that my engine was making a pinging noise as well... I bought my Rogue in March '08. Two months later (approx 3000 miles) I heard the pinging noise constantly throughout all rpms... Nissan replaced the catalytic converter... If you have the same pinging noise as I did please note that it is most likely not the tranny.

The tranny has a very peculiar noise of its own. The tranny noises are being tied to approx 5 - 25mph in deceleration with and without breaking. It is a loud, almost gurgling noise from the front of the car (particularly noticable in parking lots). This noise started occuring in my car at 5000 miles. I am having the transmission replaced for the first time this week at 15000 miles. I have been waiting in hopes that Nissan has solved the problem, but the service rep. told me that Nissan is "still doing research on the transmissions, and that likely installing a new one will not solve the problem."

I also thought I would inform you that I just had what a local service person (non Nissan, i live 2 hrs from the dealership) tell me that the Shift Cable Boot fell off my car. The most recent trip in to the Nissan dealership, I showed them the paperwork and asked that they document it in my car's service file.

The best I can say is keep trying with your local Nissan dealership to diagnose the noise, ask them to look at the Catalytic Converter as that is where my pinging noise came from. Also, definately document every trip to you take to the dealership. I personally dont plan on fililng with the BBB as my car is over a year old and so the lemon laws would not apply to my car. I do plan on purchasing a new vehicle though before my warranty runs out becuase I dont want to be stuck with costly repairs. The car isn't even 2 years old and the Cat and Tranny have been replaced... What will happen at year 3, 4 & 5?

Best of luck you.
  • same as you guys, i'm hearing gurgling & popping sound while im on a low speed around 5 to 15 mph... especially during turning in parking lots... It is my new car and i don't have any idea what to do about it... because most of the guys are saying that nissan will replace the transmission but after months the gurgling & popping sound will come back... so what's the used of replacing it? it's just waste of time. eventhough it is the scenario, do i need to bring it to a nissan dealership for repair? will i be liable for the expenses? or the gurgling & popping sound is normal and we should just live w/ it.
  • Yes absolutely take your car to a Nissan dealership if you are planning on having a new tranny put in. If your car is still under warranty, then no you should not be liable for the expenses. So far with the new tranny & cat. converter, I have not paid a cent.

You do make a good point about the necessity of getting it fixed. At the moment Nissan is saying that is NOT a safety concern. The reason I chose to get mine fixed is that should they decide in 2 years that it is a safety concern (and my car will be out of warranty at that point) I then don't want to be stuck with shelling out the money for a new tranny. Just something to take into consideration.
  • thanxs for the info! ur absolutely right! i should use my warranty. i dont want myself to be stuck paying for the expenses that i shouldn't have.
  • I have to say that we are trading our Rogue tomorrow, I'm so upset about it. We bought it brand ne off the lot in November 2007. A month after having it we started hearing the noise coming from the transmission. We mentioned it for every oil change and of course they could never hear it. Finally 2 months ago, at 15200 miles, they heard it and called the tech line right away. They said to put a new tranny in it, so thats what they did. Well irs been about a month and guess what, a new noise is back, coming from the same area, but slightly different, its more of a rattling, almost like something is going to fall out!!! I'm so frustrated with it, granted I haven't taken it in again, and they were vey nice but I just can't get over the fact that this is happening to a Nissan with 15000 miles on it. It makes me worry about whats going to happen when the warranty is up? And yes, some would say "well it's free if it's still under warranty.", I say whay should I continue to make payments on a car that probably isn't going to make it past the warranty. Again, so disappointed, nice to know we aren't all alone, but shame on Nissan for not doing more, think of all the others that don't complain or research it on the internet. I'm trading it tomorrow for a Rav 4, hopefully we will have better luck, crushed though, I really like my Rogue. :(
  • http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2

CVT Program DetailsDear Nissan Owner:

On behalf of everyone at Nissan, we would like to thank you for choosing to drive a Nissan. One of the many technologically-advanced features of your vehicle is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), an innovative transmission that offers smooth, seamless shifting, while tailoring the vehicle's output to your driving style.

While Nissan is proud to offer this technology on many of our models, a small percentage of owners of early models equipped with CVTs have expressed concerns about the cost of repair of their transmissions after the warranty expires. We take these comments about the cost of vehicle ownership seriously. We strive to provide an exceptional ownership experience and are implementing a thorough Customer Satisfaction Program to address this topic.

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This extension is effective immediately and requires no action on your part. The remainder of your powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the transmission remains unchanged, at 5 years/60,000 miles, and your basic warranty coverage also remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply. This extended transmission warranty is also fully transferable to future owners of your vehicle.

Second, Nissan will reimburse customers who have previously paid to repair or replace their CVT, if the repairs would have been covered within the new extended warranty period. Even if you no longer own your Nissan we will reimburse you for past CVT repairs that would have been covered under this extension of the warranty.

Further, in the unlikely event that your vehicle's transmission should need repair beyond the extended warranty period we are working to decrease the cost of repair and have already reduced the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of a replacement CVT. In addition, we continuously strive to enhance our products, and have made ongoing improvements to our CVTs over the years.

Nissan is taking these actions to demonstrate our confidence in the CVT technology and to show our commitment to stand behind our products.
  • The problem is that there're still those who think that 120K miles is not enough. They expect their engines to last 200-300K miles. ;)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,171
    Well, yeah, my Nissan will be ten this December and it's over 135,000 miles. Where's my lifetime warranty? :P

10/120 is nothing to sneeze at eh? And if they were losing lots of warranty dollars on the CVT, it'd be hard for Nissan to justify the warranty extension. So good for them.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Glad you got a good engine. Mine went lame at less than 5 months & Nissan finally decided to do something...only changed short block. They had to change the tranny, too. Finally got rid of the piece of junk last week. Still had engine & transmission problems. Still have my lawsuit in place.
  • The dealer is replacing the transmission on my wife's 2010 AWD Rogue with 7,000 miles. They must have transmissions in stock as they expect to have one delivered in 4 - 5 days.
  • Just found this thread...I have been going nuts with my 2010 Rogue transmission. It really is a piece of junk. After a week of ownership in Sept 2009, took it in to the dealer as it was rattling, vibrating and jerking especially at low speeds. They tried replacing some exhaust parts...waste of time.
    To cut a long story short, opened a file with Nissan and they replaced the transmission after 2 Nissan techs were sent to Houston to inspect the vehicle. Seemed a bit better but now 3 weeks later back to the same old problems.
    I am told it is a problem that Nissan are aware of but no tech fix available.
    I just contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs again and I guess the next step is a Texas lemon law filing if they refuse to buy back.
    When you buy a new car, you expect much more than this. Come on Nissan, get it together.
  • Hi,
    May I ask is your a FWD or AWD? I have recently purchased a nissan rogue and I am just curious. TIA.
  • I had an 08 AWD ROGUE. At 15000 miles it needed a new transmission and 3 weeks after that another, we got rid of it. We now have a RAV 4.
  • It is a FWD.....trying to trade it for a Honda but terrible price offered...will be back to the dealer next week to get another complaint visit logged. Nissan CA have not returned my call from last week yet....
  • Kept an 08 rogue for six months, vehicle kept shimmiying at low speed. Had it to the dealer three times and they finally said that was the way they are. I even drove a new one on the lot and it did the same. The service manager said that I was senitive to small things and most people did not notice the slight shimmy. I traded it for a rav-4. I am so happy now that I have gotten rid of that problem vehicle. Harry
  • erikwierikwi Posts: 71
    Hi all! I'm presently considering a new Rogue Krom version but have been having second thoughts after reading about the transmission failures. Is this common with the AWD CVT version? I certainly don't want a vehicle that is going to need frequent transmission replacement. Besides early and frequent trans failures, what else is going wrong I might want to know about?

Thanks!
  • We bought an 08 AWD brand new off the lot. After just 3 weeks, we started hearing noises when we would make slow turns, especially in parking lots. It took our dealership 3-4 visits before they said they could hear it. They called the Nissan Tech line and was told to order a new transmission, at 15K miles, we had a new transmission. Just three weeks later the noise started all over again, and we had found out that many others had the same issues and some had already had 3 transmissions replaced. We wern't willing to pay any longer for a car that needed a new transmission every month. Granted it never left us stranded anywhere and Nissan will tell you that it won't, but why pay for a car like that?? We traded it in for an 08 Rav 4.. We were loyal Nissan customers until this happened. We won't rule them out for purchases but we won't buy one with a CVT transmission unless they work out all the kinks.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks.
  • Reading through all of these it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one, but yet I'm upset just like most of you that I have "wasted" my time and money on the Rogue. In the year I've owned my 2009 AWD Rogue I've had it back to the dealer at least 6 times. I kept hearing a weird noise at low speeds just a few short months of owning the Rogue. We took it in and the dealership said they couldn't hear anything (weird). A few months later I knew things weren't right so I took it in and made them ride with me and I pointed out the noise to them. They then had my car for 11 days trying to figure out what was wrong with it. The replaced my axle and transmission. Within a 1000 miles the same issues came about again. I took it back and they sent me home saying Nissan was working a computer update. After about a month of waiting the computer update was finished. I hate to say it, but it hasn't been 3000 miles since my update and I'm already having issues. I took it in again and the dealership said they couldn't hear anything. I then drove with them and compaired my Rogue to another 2008 Rogue. Little did I know my Rogue was making more noises than I thought it would be!

Hopefully soon things will get figured out and I can stop driving an hour to the dealership to get sent home with a Versa in a snowstorm in MI!
  • j1huynhj1huynh Posts: 28
    hi,
    can someone put a video clip or sound clip of what the noise sound like? my friend has a 2010 rogue and she said she's hearing some kind of noise recently at low speed (when she cruises to a stop light). I just want to confirm if it's the same noise or not.

Thanks.
  • mikesmuranomikesmurano Posts: 118
    ncdoppler, did you get rid of your Rogue?

Notice my warnings to Murano owners:

Folks!

Don't be fooled! Nissan is experiencing numerous problems with their CVT's but refuses to officially recall the very defective transmission design. Nissan has taken an "arrogant" position on this issue. My '03 Murano SE has had been in the shop 3 times with CVT problems the last was a total failure. The cost was $6300 Carriage Nissan in Gainesville, GA. The warranty was extended to 120K but was worthless to me. The region Nissan rep. (Christy) refused any help and was rather rude to boot.

My advice is, if your Murano is approaching 120K miles get rid of it! The CVT is a ticking time bomb. If your dilemma is similar to mine I am filing a complaint with: NTSB; federal and state consumer protection agencies; and, Nissan of Japan.

Warning!!! Get rid of that Murano and buy anything else!
    edited March 2010
    Before you buy Nissan, read about all of the problems that Nissan Murano owners are having with their cars. The AWD CVT seem to be the worst from what I have read and experienced.

I would seriously look at a Honda product before I would by any Nissan product.

You can read my posts under "mikesmurano" in the Murano section.

I got rid of mine after five years and went to an Acura for my wife and a Toyota for me.

"No more Nissans for me"! :lemon:
  • jaxguy8jaxguy8 Posts: 1
    I recently started feeling the noise and a shake at around 15-20mph and especially on cornering at slow speed when I accelerate slightly out of the corner. Rogue is 2009 and has 42,000 miles. I noticed it at 30k miles, but dealer said it was not a problem and could not "recreate" the event. Car is at dealer now and a new transmission has been ordered. I am thinking about trading it in once I get it back.
  • The lemon law does in fact apply after one year. I contacted a no recovery/no fee firm. The problem is that you probably will fall under the federal law - not a state law - and there are two avenues that can be taken. The auto manufacturer will be able to compensate with a reduction for the mileage on the auto at the court date or most probably will ask for compensation for diminished value. My lawyer is taking the latter route and says I have an excellent case with paper trail...probably will see 15-20% of the original sales price. In my state I had to mediate...don't expect anything there though; they will try to beat you down to accept a small amount.
  • I am having the same problem with my 2009 Rogue. I bought the car brand new off of the lot in November of 09 and 1st noticed the water coming in the back hatch about a month ago. I called the dealership and they asked me to bring the car to them (which is an hour away) I did, they looked at the leak said that it was the glass and they would send a glass man out to my house to repair it. The glass man came out to the house ran a water hose over the car and found out that it was not the glass but the sealing of the metal of the door. I once again notified Nissan and they had me bring it back, this time for 4 days. When I picked the car up they said it had been fixed and to my knowledge it had, until it rained this weekend. Now not only is it leaking in the same spot as before it is leaking on the opposite side twice as bad and got on the carpet. I will be returning to the dealership again, hopefully they will fix it, if not we will have a huge problem.
  • h2omh2om Posts: 1
    Consider a Ford, it has a trouble free Jabsco CVT :shades:
  • We have a similar water leak problem in our new 2009 Rogue SL AWD that we bought last year July. We think that the water is leaking out of one or both of the 1/8-inch wide gaps that are on the sides of the center plastic cover inside and at the top of the lift gate (hatch door). We took the car back to the dealer to have this defect corrected. The service people could not duplicate the problem after having sprayed the car with lots of water. Was your problem taken care of? If so, where was the source of the problem?
  • ljeraldljerald Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Rogue, on a recent trip to Reno from Sacramento, I experience (for the 2nd time) difficulty climbing the hills over Auburn CA. I could not get pass 45 mph, even with the gas pedal is depressed all the way to the floor.... but once I got to the top of the hill, everything is fine, until i start climbing the hill again. I made sure i was going at a very good speed when approaching another hill...but no luck!... I never had this problem before...... when I got to the house, I put it in reverse to back the car in the drive way and I had to almost put the "foot to the pedal"to make it move. I put it in park and tired to rev up the engine with little response until I depress the accelerator almost to the floor again...and got only 2500rpm.... about 45 minutes later, i can out started the engine, and everything was fine.....what is up!!! does anyone out there have the same problem...the Nissan Tech...could not find any thing wrong!! Anyone out there have this problem?
    Bad News.

Say good bye to your CVT transmission. Get it into the dealer. My guess is the CVT oil pump is going out. Had the exact same symptoms with my Murano.

Hopefully it is still under warranty.

Best of luck. :sick:
  • jc2010jc2010 Posts: 31
    Bought a 2010 Rogue 360 in April. Had 1700 miles on it and took a trip to Maine. On the way up, the service engine light popped on. Previous to this..at different points since April, we have been experiencing this, w/o the service engine light.....After driving the car for a little while..maybe about an hour...when coming to a stop, say at a stop light or toll, when we tried to accelerate the car had no power. Well, like I said...on the way up to maine, my husband was driving and felt this happen and this time the service engine light came on. We tightened the gas cap thinking that might be causing an issue of fumes. After letting it sit over night and driving 2.5 hours and then letting it sit another 3 hours, the light went off. For the rest of our vacation, the light never came back on and the car ran fine. On the way home when we hit Massachusetts. After a toll booth and slowing down for ezpass....trying to accelerate was an issue. Again, no power while in the middle of the highway. The car started going but now we needed gas. We pull over to get gas. After getting gas, we couldn't get onto the highway. The car had no pick up at all. We would've gotten hit. When I reversed the car to pull into a parking spot, same thing. No power in reverse either. After waiting for AAA tow to tow us to a Nissan dealer we had passed a mile back, we were able to drive the rogue ourselves to the dealer....AAA issue after two hours of waiting and giving up on them. We get to the dealer in MA and they tell us they've seen this issue before. The transmission fluid seems to be foaming. Also, the fluid was very low. After spending a night at a hotel nearby, we were advised by Nissan engineers to drive the car to NY and bring it to a dealer there...where we live. We dropped it off last night. Not very hopeful. #1 they have to find the issue by most likely having to drive the car for a period of time. #2...if they find it, we have to go from there. In the meantime, I am in touch with Nissan Consumer Affairs. I want to be reimbursed for the hotel stay and as of right now we don't have a car. The dealership provided no loaners and I refuse to pay for a rental. This is a brand new vehicle and feel this should be on Nissan. The dealer we brought the car too has also seen a familiar issue with one car. The service advisor said he did not remember the outcome but he knows that it is an issue and sounds like they will have the rogue in their possession for a while. I am livid. I commute to work every day so don't use the car much and to bring it on vacation with us at 1700 miles and for all of this to happen is totally unacceptable. Help...any suggesstions on what to do??????