Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• My father left me a loaded 2007 Camry Hybrid - leather, bluetooth, JBL stereo, etc. etc. - $31,000+ new, with only 11,900 miles on it - MINT. The weirdest driving, boring, slow, but yes one of the quietest cars I have ever driven. I sold it. Not for me. I have driven Toyotas and their V6 is very nice, but the finish even in the "high end" Camrys is cheap, and they handle like an old Buick. Again - not for me.

But that said, I will never again buy any car with variable cylinder management regardless of the manufacturer. It is disappoionting to see Honda now put the VCM Engine in the Odyssey, Accord, and now the Pilot.
    I hate it. Hope they never do it to the Acura or I will be finished with them after 30 years of loyal ownership. And given the latest from the EPA? I intend to hang onto my '08 RL for as long as possible.
  • indydriverindydriver Posts: 620
    edited July 2011
    LOL, you make me laugh. I'm a troll now, eh? Good try. I just hang out on these Edmonds threads just waiting to pounce on any Honda fans? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha- - - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahhahah!!!!! You are a joke. The FACT is, if you like Camrys, you are NOT an auto enthusiast.
  • elliott2elliott2 Posts: 64
    That's great for your daughter. My Accord VCM didn't start burning oil until after the break-in oil was changed. If you look at the latest sales figures, Honda has got some real problems with the sales of Accords, down 30+%. Some of the competitors models are a more compeling choice and at a better price.
  • We bought our '08 Acura Rl with 18k miles on it for $25,000. MINT - from AZ. Hired an inspector who gave it two thumbs up, and trucked it back to us in NY. If looking for a NEW car in that price range, I would have to drive Hyundai Sonata - it is beating out the Accord in all comparison tests - don't know the car well enough to even know if it has a V6 - know about the 4 and the turbo 4, but prefer a 6. Yeah, I think Honda needs to refocus. However, its sales are off a lot because of the tsunami - and good used Hondas are going through the roof!
    That's an interesting point about not burning oil until after the FF was changed. Maybe Honda has a good reason for having all its dealers insist on not changing it until <15% on the MM which seems to be 7500-8000 for most folks. I'm curious: what mileage did you do your first OC and what oil did you use?
    edited July 2011
    Honda hasn't taken VCM to their premium brand. Maybe a good reason?
  • dinofldinofl Posts: 53
    The salesman said I could go 10,000 before 1st oil change. At 7800 it said I had 5% life left. I live in FL and do very little highway driving and car felt a little off so I got it changed. Brought it to Tires Plus for $25. Don't know the brand, but definitely felt smoother. I'm big on following mfgr guidelines. They design the damn cars. Btw it's a lease.
  • elliott2elliott2 Posts: 64
    The car started using oil at around 10,000 miles. The tech at the Honda garage insists that it's not burning oil, it's "using" oil. We've had the other problems with the car also: the rear brakes were gone at 17,000 miles and were replaced. The torque converter went out at 34,000 miles. The style of this particular model is a great looking car inside and out. Mechanically, it's one of the worst Accords ever made as demonstrated by its poor rating for resale value. I've had five Accords now and have been impressed with everyone except the 2008. Honda lost it on this model.
  • Our car's tranny started giving us major problems at 28K. They replaced input and output sensors and told me the car was fixed. Uh-uh - I had driven the car 28K and it was NOT performing correctly. That did it for me - had the brake problems fixed under warranty or class action suit, but then the tranny? Bye bye hated VCM and hello Acura RL. Sold the Honda on ebay for $18,000 - paid $26,000 new, and bought the 2008 RL with only 18,000 miles on it for $25,000 - new $50,000. Best decision I have recently made. My experience with cars - they give you problems early - they ALWAYS are a problem.
    I really wanted to love my beautiful Belize blue coupe. The Eco light and VCM Vibrations drove me nuts. Amazingly I was 19 months into a 36 month lease and was able to trade it in for a VW CC R Line with an MSRP over $31k and put no money down and have the exact same payments! I know no car is perfect, but the CC offers a lot more for the money. Both seats have power adjustment and power lumbar. HD radio, SD card slot, iPod connection, Bluetooth, etc. Not feeling any of the vibrations. I felt bad trading in the Accord because I fell in love with it on the showroom. If Honda decides to make a real V6 again I might come back, but I doubt it. My cousin had a Honda Ridgeline with VCM and his tranny completely seized up while driving on the highway. They never gave him an explanation, but we think it had something to do with the VCM. Best of luck to all.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Posts: 176
    edited August 2011
    Sorry, dinofl, but the Ridgeline has never had VCM. Only the Pilot & Odyssey have VCM besides the Accord. We are on our second Ridgeline (a 2010--first one was a 2008) and we're VERY pleased with how the engine runs--no vibrations/transitions and NO ECO light! Not so pleased with the mileage though--we average 18-20 mpg in combined driving and might see 21-22 on a long trip at moderate speeds, like under 65 mph.
  • Honda EX-L V6 - the road noise is killing me. I left the back window opened and the car sounded like it was about to take off like a helicopter. I know the navi is outdated but the large screen and type w/backup monitor is useful. I cannot get comfortable in the seats. I have buyers remorse. I wish I did less research as this was the top pick.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Posts: 273
    Almost all modern cars have a problem with open windows, try different combination of windows and you should find one that is less annoying. My 2010 EX-L V6 has way to much tire noise, as did my 2008. Seats may not be the best but I've done some 8-10 hour drives and found them OK.
    My bad. My cousin thought it had VCM because he had similar problems as me before his tranny went. Glad you like your Ridgeline. I have always liked Honda products until my coupe and vcm. Best of luck.
    edited August 2011
    Road, tire & wind noise are all problems with newer Hondas. One reason is a lack or a reduction of soundproofing material. Saves money and weight I suppose, but the high level of noise on the highway is most annoying.

I stripped the trunk and removed the rear seat in our 2010 Accord EX-L 4-door and glued in a huge bunch of Dynamat on all the exposed surfaces. This dropped the noise level to the point that it is now tolerable. It took an entire afternnon & evening to get the job done, but you can have Dynamat installed by some car stereo shops--expensive though. They can also do the inside of the doors & entire floor if you want more noise reduced. If you don't like noise, Dynamat is your friend!

When I removed the back seat, there was only one very small strip, about 2" x 12-15" of what could be considered sound deadening material stuck on the sheet metal. I was able to simply pry it out and toss it away. I can't imagine it deadened or reduced much noise as it was less than 1/4" thick and resembled dried mud.

High levels of road, tire & wind noise was mentioned by Consumer Reports as one of the reasons they no longer recommend the new 2011 Honda Civic. Older Civic models had been high on CR's list for many years.

What the heck is going on at Honda?
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Posts: 273
    What the heck is going on at Honda? That is the question that many are asking. When I'm watching their marketing materials on TV as well as print, I see a company that is resting on its laurels. With tag lines like Accord &#150; The One and Only &#150; I&#146;m reminded that this claim is the result of accolades accumulated over many years. If they were to cull items from recent reviews they would read something like: Accord &#150; a decent choice but no longer the top in its class. They worked hard and rose to the top as a result of that hard work. Over the last few years there has been little innovation and their vehicles now trail the competitors in area like automatic transmissions and ride refinement. To achieve the robust connectivity offered in many Hyundai&#146;s and Ford and GM products, you would have to move to an Acura. While most of us want to remain loyal to the brand, in today&#146;s economy we all want the most for our hard earned dollars and to get that we may be forced to bypass Honda in the future.
    First, we had a great buying experience: Internet quote for $5,000 off sticker. The car is beautiful with White Orchid Pearl paint over tan leather. All driving inputs are superior--acceleration, braking, steering and suspension. Space is commodious. I am 6'-4" and fit in the back comfortably. Granted, we only have 3,000 miles on this 2011 EX-L but it hasn't burned one drop of oil. It is sad to see other owners displeased but the point is, they are not all lemons.
    The newest generation Accord is still a very nice vehicle, but it is being surpassed (easily?) by its competition. We still enjoy ours and expect to keep it awhile longer, but it may likely be our last Honda. There's no valid reason, except brand loyalty, to keep buying inferior products. Honda really needs to stop resting on its past successes/laurels and start building vehicles that are at least competitive in the marketplace. I have read that Honda's new CEO, a fellow named Ito, is primarily to blame for the lack of innovation & state-of-the-art features in Honda products. If true, Honda's board should immediately replace him.

The seemingly never-ending problem with excessive wind, tire & road noise is SO easy to fix, yet Honda won't step up and do what is needed. This issue will continue to plague Honda and become a primary reason potential buyers reject their products. IMHO, this issue shouldn't exist, especially in cars that were much quieter in the past.

As a side note, this particular topic has seemed to attract an unusually high number of dissatisfied Accord owners, especially those with VCM problems/issues that Honda refuses to fix. Perhaps that's due to not having a different topic on this forum where problems/issues can be openly discussed/debated. Whatever. It's good for the soul to have a place to vent & rant, especially if you have been treated badly.
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Posts: 113
    edited August 2011
    IMO - Honda is discovering that you can't cheapen the cost of the product without buyers noticing the results. A missing courtesy light here, more hard and cheap plastic there, topped off with less attention to detail on the design.

If it's a person's first Accord, they don't notice. But if you have owned an Accord from certain prior generation models, it's painfully obvious.

The car has gone from a slightly tight interior size with nice features/performance/build quality, to a butt large living room sofa (ala the Crown Victoria) with any model other than the EX or higher model feeling like a rental car due to strippage of features. That my opinion, as I have an 08 Accord EX-L V6 NAVI, and got an a 08 LX loaner from the dealer during service - BLEAH!

The Acura TSX is what an Accord is overseas, and seems more in tune with what prior generations were. I should have looked at it, but I didn't expect the Accord to have certain issues, but it does.

It also seems like the dealers are turning into the stereotypical domestic car dealers of old - feeding people bs on service issues, getting back into pushing packages of services for mileage intervals (instead of what the auto maker recommends), etc.

And yes, every time I drive a decent highway trip, the VCM is right there bogging in and out, along with the rear package shelf rattle the dealer applied the supposed fix for. Top off with the brakes shuddering in hot weather on high speed braking, yet that issue doesn't seem to present on lower speed driving - weird.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Posts: 103
    You really sumed it up nicely about how Honda has cheapened up the Accord! My son was looking for a replacement car for his 99 Civic Lx which gave him 200,000 miles of dependable travel. Wanting to upgrade, he went looking at the V6 EXL Accord. He test drove the vehicle then asked me my thoughts. His observations he noticed the "hunting" and the constant VCM light. He thought the transmission was the issue. Also noticed was the lack of the Key Lock on the seat back, something his Civic had. After learning more about the VCM, he quickly crossed the Accord off the list!

He Ended up with a loaded Toyota Venza (ruled out the ugly slow selling Cross V6)with none of the VCM crap and a six speed auto>>something Honda is trying to avoid! While this may be an apple to an orange comparision, the Toyota V6s has NO VCM, is turbine smooth, with 6 speed auto and gets the same economy!.

Honda is way behind the curve..even consumer Reports said the new Civic is no longer a class leader. The Accord is nothing more than an also ran. Too bad, as I had enoyed many years with the older Accords! Reminds me of how the old GM lost its way>> paving the way for me to go to Honda to begin with! Now GM seems to get it!