Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 855
    ...All depends how and where you drive. Mpg reports dont mean all that much. Its baseline data only. They're sort of like political polls...

..aye, aye, sir...
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) Look it up.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I believe he is just asking for more input on the VCM topic.

He knows what it means. :)
  • golfrskigolfrski Posts: 262
    Indeed.

Thanks hpowders ;-)
    You're welcome, golfrski.

I have been driving quite a bit around Tampa and have yet to see my first 2008 Accord Coupe or Sedan.

If this continues, sub-invoice deals can't be too far away.

Looking forward to my first glimpses at the auto show on Thursday.

I won't make the mistake of asking the gorgeous model in front of the Honda exhibit anything about VCM. :blush:

Like you, I sure would like to hear from other purchasers of the Accord EX V-6 Sedan concerning their experiences with VCM.

Noticeable or seamless?
  • How does VCM work?
  • I have an 08 Accord EX-L V6. The only way I can tell if the VCM is running is if the green light is on in the dashboard. The VCM operates in the background and is invisible to me. I absolutely love this motor. Rather than getting hung up on the fact that some posters say they feel in their VCM operating, and jumping to the conclusion "aha, I knew I could find an issue with this car!", I suggest that any interested parties just go test drive one. That will be the proof in the pudding.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    How does VCM work?

In short, depending on how much power is required from the engine, it can run on all 6 cylinders, 4 cylinders, or 3. Thereby increasing fuel mileage.
    I don't believe one can check out the VCM adequately with a salesman riding along distracting you with his non-stop talking.

Feedback from people who have lived with the vehicle for a while would be more revealing, IMO.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    To give a you bit of background first, Honda introduced VCM in 2002 in Japanese version of American Accord (they call it Inspire in Japan). This version was also used in Accord Hybrid, 2005-2007 Odyssey (top two trims) and 2WD Pilot. This version switched between 6-cylinder (V6) and 3-cylinder (I-3) modes depending on need. The problem discovered over time was that I-3 would be insufficient at moderate to high speeds, and the vehicle would end up running on all six cylinders anyway, even when they all weren't needed. So, the benefit was relatively small.

With the new Accord, Honda introduced second generation VCM. This version added yet another mode. Now, the engine is able to operate in 6 or 4 or 3 cylinder modes depending on need. This is also the new system in 2008 Odyssey. Pilot still has the old system, but with redesign that is about to happen, its 2WD version is likely to get this new system.

During idling, low speed/low engine load driving conditions, only 3-cylinders are producing power (all cylinders are "fired" but only three cylinder are being fed gasoline and air as the valves on other cylinders remain shut... the pistons still move in all of them). This is the "I-3" mode.

Accelerating from a stop, accelerating with moderate to heavy throttle and while climbing relatively steep hills, all six cylinders are fed gasoline and air, and fired. This is the V6 mode.

During moderate/high speed cruising, mild hills, only four cylinders provide power. This is the V4 mode (two cylinders from each bank are selected).
    heee thats funny. I have a silver one with Black leather, added the deck lid spoiler on it, i think it squares off the trunk lid making it look better and a bit taller. its awesome. i also added thsi cool under dash blue footwell ambient lighting that honda offers. gives it a cool glow at night that matches other task lighting. You'll dig it for sure.
    awesome explanation robertsmx. Helpful to better understand the process, Thank you.
    Glad you are not experiencing this. Totally agree that everyone should drive it, fully test it, take it on the open road/ highway and decide. After 5 accords I feel it all the time. As did the shop manager and service manager at the dealer not only on mine but 2 others. I am sure over time though I will probably get used to it... Time will tell. Still an awesome car overall. :shades:
  • My wifes EXL-V6 has 2000 miles on it now. I've driven it at different highway speeds trying to feel any change when the ECO light cycles on and off and I don't detect a thing. The mileage is not quite as good as her 04 and there are several de-contenting items I don't like but the VCM is not an issue on her car.
    cool... maybe I will have mine checked out AGAIN! we saw it on a few other v6's so mine was consistent we all found. interesting..Thanks for the post!
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Well excuse,me...!!! But,if Honda had to build special motor motor mounts to reduce the engine vibration when running in 3 or 4 cylinder mode, then I don't want it!!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 855
    .....for moi, it's not that I don't want it - - - (for those of us who prefer - or are able - to shift for ourselves)....

...no VCM is provided for the 6M.

VCM remains (at least to me) of real interest within the Honda sphere of fuel efficiency addressal. Keep those (VCM) cards and letters coming. I'm looking for a VCM six to break the 40 mpg barrier (after break-in of course)

..ah, the agony of choice!

..best, ez....
    Active engine mounts are quite common now. You will find those in Lexus too.
  • 4000 miles on my EXL V6 Coupe, and let me say right off I love this car. I came from a 2000 EXL V6 Coupe, and I definitely noticed the VCM at times. I'd call some VCM engagements seamless like at the end of acceleration, but occasionally you get reminded that there is a computer trying to figure out what you're trying to do with the throttle. I found that I can manage VCM on/off when I want it by manipulating the sensitive throttle. I find it particularly useful when in backed-up interstate traffic, or waiting through stop light cycles. By accelerating, to a desired speed then sort of backing off quickly, the VCM kicks on and the tranny stays geared low and then I can slowly accelerate into higher than normal rpms without changing gears. It makes it easier to stay off the brakes which to me is the ultimate traffic de-congestion solution btw. I think I can tell there is a computer trying to figure out what driving condition I'm in and what is the best combination of gear, rpm, and # of cylinders to get what I want most efficiently. Most of my driving has been on flat topography, but even on small Birmingham foothills, it was fun figuring out the best way to save fuel and have fun doing it.

It definitely has me thinking about better mpg more than I ever have.
    Looks like I'm not alone when it comes to "trying to figure out" thing. :)

Thats also the beauty of most Honda designs. It allows folks to discover things and often take control and use it to their advantage.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    You in Bham Alabama? Glad to hear you like the coupe!
    I think that VCM is a good idea......on paper. I just prefer a more simple approach,like diesel. I really doubt VCM will provide any real advantage over your 6 manual,net of the increased weight, frontal area, and displacement on the '08. Tendonitis in my right elbow (Bass Fishing) precludes me from getting a 6 speed car. Now all my shifting is done on my 150 mph,11 second 1/4 mile, 6 speed Yamaha FZ1 motorcycle. :)
    VCM has VTEC. Diesel has high pressure turbo and intercooling system. So, complexity can't be avoided.
    I would rather have the V6 straight up simple with no VCM. Read some place that they had to redesign the motor mounts because of increased engine vibration in 4 or 3 mode. That's a deal killer for me, I'll just do a diesel. Diesel is actually perfect for bass boat towing and launching.
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    The question then becomes whether an Accord, even with a diesel, is perfect for bass boat towing and launching :P
    Active engines mounts are gaining popularity to improve NVH characteristics from the engine. So, it can (and does) exist without VCM. Honda calls it Active Engine Mount. Lexus calls it Active Control Engine Mount.

If Honda chooses to make the Accord Diesel smoother, they might choose to use it in that model as well.
    Well, I'm the one who would know best for my purposes. :)