Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm sure some people won't believe me...I really don't care but, after all of these postings. I have yet to hear ONE customer complainn about this. I have driven, literally dozens of V-6 Accords and I have NEVER ONCE felt this. None of the other salespeople have heard of a complaint and as of the last time I asked, not one of our Service Advisors of managers had heard of this.

They had no idea what in the world I was talking about.

I'm not saying it isn't real but we are a high volume store and we know nothing about this.

Problems tend to get amplified and overblown in forums like this so I would suggest before taking a great car off your list, go DRIVE one and see for yourself.

Personally I happen to think the 4 cylinder engines are more than adequate for the majority of people.

Happy Holidays to all!
  • merlion0821merlion0821 Member Posts: 143
    Oh, it's real, although I wish it weren't. Other than the VCM operation being extremely annoying, I really like this car. That being said, I just can't see myself living with this car long term.

I'm looking at trading on an '09 Acura TL, and most likely will lose a few thousand in the deal since I've only had the car 10 months.

If there are a vast majority of the V-6 Accords out there that are "okay", why can't Honda find out what is wrong with the ones that aren't and correct the problem?
    Are you sure Acura doesn't use VCM too?

I swear that I nor anyone in our store has heard of this.

I had a customer months ago..." I'm afraid to buy a V-6 Accord because they have this horrible problem"

The customer told me I could read all about it right here and I did.

At that point, I took two different cars out and I tried my darndest to replicate this problem and I felt nothing. I invited the customer in and he did the same thing...felt nothing.

So, I really don't know because I've never felt it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We established a long time ago in this discussion that there are some people who are affected by this, but that most are not. I'm glad that it's something that neither you nor any of your customers have run into, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all.

That said, I completely agree with you that if people are otherwise interested in the 6 cylinder 08+ Accord they should test drive it and find out for themselves how it responds. Seems to me that to rule it out without trying it runs the risk of missing out on a car that might well suit the buyer, especially since it is clear that it just isn't something that affects many people.

In any case, let me wish everyone the happiest of holiday seasons!!
    Yes, I'm positive that the TL does not have the VCM technology.

I was actually aware of some peoples concerns with the VCM in the Accord prior to my purchase, and test drove a V-6 extensively. Unfortunately, I chose to upgrade to an EX-L to get the leather interior at the last minute, and did not test drive the exact car I bought.

The vehicle I test drove was an EX with the V-6, and it didn't seem to have any of the same problems my vehicle exhibits. When I mentioned this to my salesman when he followed up after the sale he developed quite an attitude. He said "what do you expect, mechanical systems such as VCM will give mechanical feelings when they operate". So much for the "seamless" comment in the brochure.Needless to say, I will never buy another car from that salesman, or dealer, again.

I agree, there are V-6's out there that do not have the problems some have complained about, and probably the majority of them don't. But that begs the question, what is the difference in the ones that do exhibit the problems, and why can't anything be done to correct the problems? Why won't Honda acknowledge that a problem even may exist?
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I agree, there are V-6's out there that do not have the problems some have complained about, and probably the majority of them don't. But that begs the question, what is the difference in the ones that do exhibit the problems, and why can't anything be done to correct the problems? Why won't Honda acknowledge that a problem even may exist?

This is just my own theory, but.... All these engines probably don't run exactly the same in 3 or 4 cylinder mode. Some run smoother than others. Some of the (active) engine mounts may not work as well as others. Honda may be reluctant to change the engines and or mounts in some cars, fearing everyone with VCM that feels even the slightest vibrations will want a new engine. Turning a small problem, into a much larger, and more costly one. I think some engines match up better with their respective VCM systems than others, and it doesn't take much to screw it up.
  • elliott2elliott2 Member Posts: 64
    My 2008 Accord is going back to service next week. The service dept. and the factory rep keep telling me that the vibration is a "normal characteristic" of the VCM. (an obvious acknowledgement that there is a problem). I'm not certain that it's the engine alone or whether the torque converter lockup is engaging at too low of a speed. Driving around town at lower speeds can be really annoying as the engine seems to be searching for a speed and the transmission keeps adjusting.

At any rate, the service manager and I will be going for a long drive next week so that they can try to figure it out. Driving my daughter's 2005 Accord today made me realize that I probably won't keep this car very long; it's too annoying.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    The service dept. and the factory rep keep telling me that the vibration is a "normal characteristic" of the VCM. (an obvious acknowledgement that there is a problem).

In what way is this an obvious acknowledgement?
  • hondaacc09hondaacc09 Member Posts: 3
    That ("normal characteristic" of the VCM) was the same answer I've got from Honda technician who went on a test drive with me when I asked them to check the car for the shuddering problem.
  • anthonyyanthonyy Member Posts: 13
    Each time I drive the Honda Accord on the highway I get very upset when I feel the vibration when reaching speeds between 50 mph to 62 mph. I am 76 years old , for the past 60 years I drove many cars made by many different car makers. For the last twenty five years I drove only Honda cars . I never drove a new car that vibrated when it reached 55 to 62 mph, Honda Accord is the first. I tried my best to have Honda Motors correct this problem but they just refused to accept the responsibility. Instead, Honda Motors' response was: " This vibration is normal...." Without resolve, I have no choice but to advise all my friends and family members not to purchase a Honda.

Whoever is considering the purchase of a new car, I highly recommend they do not take the chance of buying a Honda. Do go to Toyota or Nissan as they will provide you with good service and stand behind their product and reputation. After all you do not see any complaints about Nissan or Toyota.

Since the purchase of a new car is a considerable investment it is better for you to try Toyota Motors or Nissan.
    " After all you do not see any complaints about Nissan or Toyota"

I''m not too sure about that. If you visit their boards ther will bound to be people unhappy about something. No car make is immune form this.

You sound like a loyal Honda owner and I am sorry you are unhappy with your car.

When you said you get a vibration between 50 and 62 MPH, that sure sounds like it could be a wheel balance issue. Have you checked this?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ............vibration between 50 and 62 MPH, that sure sounds like it could be a wheel balance issue. Have you checked this?

Seems a fair assessment.

We don't get the perceptual input from too many 25 year Honda owners on this here board.

At 3.5 years with a 6M coupe, I'm a newk (but these threads are sure pertinent, useful and interesting).

season's best, ez....
    If a wheel weight has fallen off, it'll give a pretty good vibration at those speeds.

Where is Freeport anyway?
    No, Absolutely no, it is not a wheel balance problem. The Honda Service manager at first they also thought it might be a problem with the wheels. They put four new ties then went on the test drive with me on the hoghway and it did not eliminate the vibration so they change the four tires back.

There are a lot of the people out there who does not drive on the highway often and if they are on the highway they do not drive around 55 to 62 mph so they have not realize they might have the vibration problem.

This is the reason I advice to all of you, do not take a chance with Honda, Go to Toyota or Nissan Moytor, They will responsible companies.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    Where is Freeport anyway?

..........due south of the State Capitol Rotunda - - - maybe 10 miles (big time distance from Sidney - - where I had a great visit courtesy of the US/Royal Australian Navies................)

best, ez....
    You are assuming this is a widespread problem and you are also assuming that Toyota and Nissan never have any sort of problems with any of their cars.

I was in a V-6 Accord today on the highway and I, once again, made an effort to hear or feel this...nothing. My customer loved the car and made no comments about anything adverse either.

Again, I'm sorry you are this unhappy with your Honda but, please, don't try to steer people away from a great car when they will probably not be affected by this.
    In your profile, it says CA and I assumed it meant California. I'm from CA and I had never heard of that town...thanks!
  • sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    Look - I realize this is a public board and you can say what you want within the rules. But telling someone that their issue will "probably" not affect others and to stop "steering people away" is unfair. I realize you are a Honda employee but you lost credibility long ago with the "I have never heard of any issues with the VCM" statement (or something to that affect - and yes you and I have had this "chat" before). I can give you 2 MAJOR dealers on the East coast that deal with this everyday. You saying that every car out of your dealership has never been returned with one VCM compliant, and further, that no one in the service dept has ever heard of a thing regarding the VCM issue is false. You stated months ago that you asked them about it, so they have at least heard it from you months ago. It makes me wonder if you are not a Honda Corporate employee trying to do a little CYA? STOP minimizing the VCM issues we have had with this car. You (and Honda corporate) are EXACTLY the reason there is a VCM issue by continuing to deny any knowledge or accept any responsbility and refusing to engineer a fix. Enough is Enough.
  • ncjimncjim Member Posts: 3
    Ditto to sunnfun's post. I posted a month ago indicating that I had successfully prevented two sets of friends from getting near a Honda dealership. I am now proud to say that number has increased to three.

I am now at 6000 miles in the POS. (08 V-6). And no, the VCM problem did not disappear at 4-5K, as some suggested it might. Just returned my online owner's survey. Wow...that was fun! My first and last Honda. Unfortunately, we now live in a world where fessing up and fixing your mess is a thing of the past. Why would a customer going through this blatantly obvious VCM problem say to a friend: "Mine is a piece of crap, but I think you should go and buy one, too"? The bottom line is that Honda knows about this, privately acknowledges it, and has made a corporate decision to ignore it. There is your bottom line, isellhondas.
    Once again, I don't doubt that some of you detect what to you is a problem and it may be a problem. I'm not questioning that.

It just seems odd (to me) that the ONLY place I have heard anything about this is right here.

Of course, I'm sure nobody believes me.
  • goltr_mangoltr_man Member Posts: 7
    I have posted on this site a number of times that it is good to let others know about the VCM here and every other place we can find but the most important place to complain is with HONDA. If everyone of us here who knows this problem is real and a $30,000 dollar pain is the (you know what) would take the time and complain to HONDA we might be able to get them to fix it. I can't tell you the number of folks I have told to stay away from Honda. The fact Honda isn't doing something, anything really has turned me off from this product. GO COMPLAIN TO HONDA and tell them to read this site !!! Thanks again.
    ...You saying that every car out of your dealership has never been returned with one VCM compliant, and further, that no one in the service dept has ever heard of a thing regarding the VCM issue is false....

I'm not trying to stick up for isell, but how do you know if your statement is true? And unless you can prove or justify it, doesn't it invalidate all your comments just like you try to invalidate isell's?

The title of this forum is "Honda Accord VCM", NOT "Honda Accord VCM Problems". Everyone's opinion and experiences, good and bad, and without slamming each other, should be welcomed. I know your experience is different from the majority of buyer's, and it's frustrating to think no one is paying attention to it. Just realize that buyers like myself have positive comments to make about VCM and it characteristics and operation.
    1). How do I know if his statement is true? If you go back and look at posts from earlier this year - we had the same EXACT conversation. He said he went and talked to his Service Dept and they had never heard of any VCM issues. Many months later - same story - even after he admitted he had spoked with them regarding the VCM issue. So they have at least heard it from him. If his dealership does as much business as he claims, I find it hard to believe not ONE person has come back to complain about the VCM. My dealer gets "a few per week" is what I was told. Every car off his lot is perfect- yeah right. It ticks me off to no end hearing this junk from Honda and from a Honda employee, especially after 20 loyal years of driving these cars.
    2). If you want to post how great your VCM is- go for it. Doesn't bother me. But DON'T tell me not to complain (not that you have), or for me to tell people my experience and my recomendation on whether to buy this car.(NOT)
    3). To others - I have called Honda. I have complained. I have opened a case. I have taken it back to the dealer who acknowledged I was right but said all VCM's do that. I have test driven others that do the same thing. I have watched Honda change the marketing BS from "seemless and unnoticable to the driver" to "NEARLY seemless". That's a major change in my book. Especially halfway through the 1st year on a re-design.
    4). I have been back to the dealer to have fixed/replaced: The windshield (rock cracked it), the rear wheel bearing (hummed like an airplane), the rear speakers because of the vibration (this is a know issue), valves adjusted because it sounded like a lawnmower (another know issue), a software upgrade to fix the slow shift to 2nd gear (another known issue). All of this in the 1st year. Add Honda's response to the VCM and would I recommend this car to someone - NO.
    Except that 90% of the posts address problems. The consumer reports blog site and others also are predominantly about problems as well. Honda customers expect Honda products to run well; when that doesn't happen, the customers complain. You don't see too many posts that say: I expected the car to run well and it does.
    Well, I finally called it quits on the turd of an '08 Accord today. The VCM was more than I was willing to put up with in the long term, and I traded it in.

I waited around until it had over 4K miles hoping that it might clear up, as some had reported. It actually got worse I believe. Granted, I'm pretty anal about my vehicles, but I think even a non-car person would have felt the gyrations this vehicle would constantly do.

It was a great vehicle around town, but when you would be dealing with speeds from 45-75 it was a major pain in the behind. Vibrations, surging, etc. And no, it was NOT wheel or tire related, this was checked.

And yes, I complained to the dealer, and Honda. It didn't matter though, in the end it was always called "normal" operation. The dealer was especially arrogant about the whole thing. My whole point was if you have V-6's that don't exhibit this behavior, what is the difference, and why can't you fix it?

I took a hit financially getting rid of this car, but keeping it and dealing with the VCM headache would have been even worse in my opinion. Good riddance.
    So??? What did you trade it in for?
    I ended up getting an '09 Acura TL. The '08 Accord with VCM has been my only bad Honda product out of 5 so far though, so I'm not writing off Honda products quite yet.
    I ended up getting an '09 Acura TL.

ooooo, Nice!
    I could kick myself for not doing more research on people's reaction to Honda's VCM. The following was out on another website since the car was first introduced in 2007:

The 08 Accords VCM operation is VERY noticeable and at times can be annoying.The car (especially) on highway driving is constantly surging and or hesitating as it decides what cylinder mode it wants to be in, the activation of grade logic and the constant 3 mode 6-4-3 cylinder operation of the VCM. The car vibrates especially at higher speeds and the ANC (active noice cancel) does not seem to be as effective as Honda would market it to be. Expect lots of road noise in this new vehicle. This is one of the most documented complaints thus far on top of the VCM activity and then vibration. The new 08 Accord is a terrific design and looks sharp, almost BMW-like. The finish of the car is excellent and the new designed interior is awesome. However, if you decide to buy this car, take it for a long drive on both city streets, and interstate for 30 minutes MIN. Pay close attention in the 45 mph and 60-70mph speeds. These seem to be the hot zones for the VCM surging and or shifting sensations. Of course this is my opinion and experience as well as a other new V6 owners across the web.

In the end, every driver is different. Do your due diligence and homework, feel the car for yourself and make the call...
  • surfsalterpathsurfsalterpath Member Posts: 20
    ...I have ~16,000 miles on my '08 ex-l. So far I have not had any noticeable vibration issues. There is sometimes slight surging at the 45 mile per hour range but not too bad. The road noise is an issue that I had heard about Honda's before I purchased. That should be a fairly easy thing for Honda to overcome. When I was researching I found the Camry had some type of carpet pad protection in the wheel wells which I am sure helped somewhat. Honda take notice..

I made the decision to move away from the Maxima, had 7 new ones since 1985 and pretty much loved them all till my 2001 anniversary edition. Nissan dropped the ball when building/designing this unit, hence my Nissan defection.

If there are issues prevelant on this '08 accord I want to see Honda Executives be proactive and take care of these customer issues or I will not be purchasing 7 new Honda Accords and will hit the research mkt again.

So where are your 'executive responses' Mr Honda executive dude? Doesn't Japanese culture demand you to respond to those with issues who decided to invest in the Honda brand? Time to save face. Please do not begin to fall down that slippery slope of not caring about your clients like the American auto industry has done for years. You see where that client service attitude got them.
    You don't see too many posts that say: I expected the car to run well and it does.

No you don't, but when someone like me who has had a great experience with VCM does post, someone like sunnfun and others take offense to it, thinking we either don't believe them, or what we are saying is not true. Isell's comments are a counterpoint to many of you posting here and I believe what he says is just as valid as everyone else's. He does not attack anyone, but he brings balance to the discussion. I'm not discounting anyone's experiences, but this discussion appears to be a bit one-sided. There are 2 sides, maybe more to every story. Trying to add a little balance to the discussion does no harm to anyone, but if all it does is create a retaliatory response, I have to question the responder's motives.
  • holewholew Member Posts: 71
    Please excuse the tone of this message but I am beginning to think that there is a plot to defame Honda on their VCM engine. In other words the whole thing is contrived bunch of BS. I took delivery on my 2008 EXL V-6 VCM on 22 Dec 2007 and have since put well over 20,000 miles on it with at least three round trips form Maryland to Florida. I was most aware of the allegations of the VCM surging on this very message board before I bought the car. As a result I test drove an 08 VCM about 25 miles just to verify for myself that there was no problem. I am very fussy about engine performance and am able to detect the slightest engine miss. Only once have I ever noticed any surging problem. This was driving on a level road with cruise control set at 40 MPH. The engine kept surging up to about 42 and then back again with the accompanying change in RPMs. I left this go on for about a mile. I then just tapped the cruise control button for a split second which reduced the set speed to 39 MPH and the entire surge condition disappeared and has never returned since at any speed. When driving on I-95 to Florida I use the cruise control extensively and the is absolutely no VCM surging.

The V6 VCM engine is as smooth as the V8 in my LS430 Lexus. I have to laugh at your writing that the surge problem of the VCM Honda engine is one of the most documented complaints. Yes, i know there have been a lot of messages on this board about the VCM but they are from relatively few people.

I find it most unusual that I have never had any of the problems you have indicated. My car was one of the first made for 2008. If this were a problem I would have thought I would have experienced it along with all the others on this message board.

It would be interesting to see how many owners of an 08 VCM Honda have not experienced this problem. You can put me down as number one.

I am wondering why Honda does not add a feature to this engine to allow it to run on one or two cylinders when at idle such as at a traffic light. Surely that would same additional fuel.
    Re-Read my post. I said if you want to come and say how great the VCM is for you - great. It does not bother me. Kinda makes you look silly telling eveyone your car is working like it should and you got what you paid for, but hey that's your right. The problem is when people, now such as yourself, come here and tell people in my situation, that we should not discuss, or tell other people to stay away from Honda based on our experience (in my case 20 years worth) I think you have crossed the line. 2nd - I find it funny that you are defending a Honda employee - can he not stand up for himself? This issue with Isellhondas has been going on for some time and you are joining late.
    It is really silly to accuse people who try to defame Honda by telling their experience on vibration with Honda Accord 2008. Just like people try to suggest you working for Honda Motor.

I resigned to accept Honda Motor is not going to do anything about our complain. Honda Motor is resigned to loss us as their customers. In the meantime I am gets up set when I drive on the highway when it reach 55 to 63 the vibration and the sound is driving me nuts. I want to sell the car but it loss too much money so I decided to keep this lemon and decided to leave Honda Motor after over twenty-five years . We will never buy another Honda Motor car. I also suggest to people to make sure to test drive on highway before they make their decision to buy a Honda car. I understand the same engines are used in 2009 Honda Accord.
    Re-Read MY post. Please don't jump to conclusions that aren't there. If my posts don't bother you, then why all the sarcastic responses? Let's get back to discussing VCM, it's pro's and con's, good and bad, and drop the "I have to have the last word" replies. Agree to disagree and let it go.
    No you don't, but when someone like me who has had a great experience with VCM does post, someone like sunnfun and others take offense to it,

When did I ever take offense to you have a good experience with your VCM? 2nd - you inserted yourself into a conversation that had nothing to do with you. I'm glad your car works for you and now everybody here knows that. Please move on.
    What "issue" are you talking about?

All I have ever said is, I have never felt this "problem", I have never had a customer mention it and our Service Dept. has never heard of it.

Only in this format have I heard of it.

Sorry if that bothers anyone.

And, yeah, I can stand up for myself. Thanks!
  • hondalvr1hondalvr1 Member Posts: 11
    Dear Sir:

I am happy your experiences with your VCM equipped Honda have been without annoyance and apparently live up to what Honda HAD advertised - that its performance is "seamless and unnoticeable by passengers", before they changed it to "nearly seamless" in recognition of truth in advertising.

But it is posts like yours that get the blood boiling for those of us whose experiences with our $30,000 cars have been anything BUT "seamless". We do not call into question your experiences - we applaud them and congratulate you on having a car that performs as promised. Why can you not simply accept then too that there are many of us whose experiences are quite the opposite?

There is no conspiracy among us to "defame" Honda. Defamation is uttering a falsehood that causes economic injury. Our experiences are every bit as real and truthful as yours, and in many cases from owners who have been long loyal Honda owners like myself. Since my first Honda in 1981, I have owned over a dozen Honda/Acura vehhicles, I4s and V6s - 2.7, 3.0, 3.2 liters, auto and manual transmissions, and have influenced family members in the purchase of at least another half dozen Hondas. It was based on this blind faith in Honda that I (foolishly I now know) bought my 2008 EXL V6 Sedan without even a test drive. Does my car squeak and rattle as others have complained about? No. Do I hear the gas sloshing around in the tank? No. Does my rear package shelf rattle with the radio on? No. BUT, does the car "surge" or seem to "hunt" for a mode of cylinder operation at highway cruising speeds of 70-75 MPH? Without a doubt. A constant sense of the car not knowing what mode to be in - almost like the transmission hunting in and out of overdrive. These are not allegations as you suggest - these are the truth, based on over a million miles of driving experience with sports cars, hi performance cars, sedans, auto trannys, manuals, rear engines, mid engines, air cooled, just about any combination of drivetrain and engine type you can imagine. It is annoying as all get out - and Honda's response? It is "operating within normal limits". Oh, the dealers acknowledge that what I sense IS there - but say it is normal.

Well, shame on me. I trusted a manufacturer to deliver true to its advertising - especially Honda in which I had so much faith and trust. Yet regardless of my past brand loyalty do you think they would treat me just perhaps a LITTLE bit better than most owners? Nope - they kissed me off just like they have everyone else posting here with similar experiences.

So, there is no plot to defame Honda. They have brought upon themselves the truth of the VCM - it is NOT seamless. It is annoying at best, intolerable at worst.
    I cannot right now afford to take a hit on my car as I have had to on my house or I would get rid of it in a heart beat.

"If this were a problem I would have thought I would have experienced it along with all the others on this message board" WHY? These are cars from an assembly line built within production tolerances - they WILL vary from one to another. It is inescapable logic to me that you can conclude that because YOU have not experienced the surging and vibrations complained of that they do not exist on our cars. From the posts on this board it appears to me that the 'seamlessness" of the VCM varies considerably from vehicle to vehicle, and driver to driver based on sensitivity to the operation of the car. Anyone considering the car should drive one extensively and if they do not experience the sensations complained of here, they should buy that very car - do NOT buy a VCM equipped car without driving THAT car - because its operation noticeablity seems to vary so much.

But sir, please do not insult the rest of us with posts like this. Congratulations on having a "good " VCM equipped car. Post about your individual good experiences, fine, but do not accuse the rest of us being part of a "plot to defame Honda" just because you have not experienced what we have. At least be sympathetic to those of us whose cars are NOT performing like yours. Happy motoring to all.
    If you sell hondas you are prejudiced. Sorry - cannot take you at your word.

Second - check out temple of vtec for other posts about VCM problems and READ all the road tests where testers note the issue as well before you sit here and deny having heard anything negative about VCM other than here. I guess as long as you choose NOT to read them you do post honestly - ignorance is bliss as they say - but the road tests are all out there for everyone to read. Try it yourself.
    Please move on.

Already did - thanks!
    Just had my car serviced to see what was causing the noise and vibration at 45 mph (the higher speed vibration is still there but is better now that the four wheels have been balanced, third time). The head mechanic drove the car for an extended period of time with me. His first reaction was "what the hell is that?" at 45 mph. There is a thumming sound with a vibration.

When we stopped at a stop sign, he asked me what was in the trunk that was moving back and forth. The trunk was empty, the movement was caused by the gas sloshing in the tank (the tank was full, the sloshing disappears around 3/4th of a tank).

Bottom line: ordered new engine mounts to re-direct the vibration caused when there are less than 6 cylinders firing and a noise cancellation module to mute the sound caused by the non-firing cylinders. The Honda tech line told the mechanic that there is nothing they could do about the gas tank, the baffles apparently do not extend as high as they should in the tank to prevent the gas from sloshing when the tank is near full.

We've had the car 13 months, 10,000 miles. Counting down the days to trade it for something else.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Just for the record, Edmunds has had a VCM Accord in their long term test fleet, and after more than 20,000 miles there were no negative comments about VCM. As much as Edmunds supports these open forums, it would be nice if occasionally their resident writers, engineers, and "experts" would chime in and offer their take on their own forum since they boast multiple drivers putting real world mileage to even out bias and personal slants as much as possible. With over 2,000 posts on this board, we are no closer to any explanation or solution, and we continue to have a "Tastes Great! Less Filling!" argument between posters that is getting ridiculously personal. But amusing to read, nonetheless.

I would be interested to draw a demographic profile of those Accord owners who are having VCM issues on Edmunds. It appears they are almost 100% male, but do we have any VCM owners under the age of 40, for example? Those who have admitted to age have indicated older ages....like 55...60...75. Is there a propensity for older male drivers who are complaining about this phenomenon? Or do we have any 20 or 30 yr olds (or females?) who absolutely loathe VCM? If yes, please come out and identify yourselves!

I own a 6speed Accord which has no VCM. However, I've personally test driven 4 different VCM-equipped Accords in the past year, and although I can certainly sense the cylinders cycling on/off in accordance with the ECO light, to me it is not an annoying or seriously violent sensation. But I can also understand how some people may be annoyed by it, and feel that Big Brother is controlling their driving behavior. This Accord must be driven a certain way to minimize vibration and maximize gas mileage. It's just a different kind of car. It's not a defective car, but one boasting a different technology that rewards a certain driving style. If you fight it, I can see how it can annoy a driver to no end.

The descriptions from those who dislike VCM are also not consistent for the most part. Some feel there is a grade logic transmission issue, some say it feels like a wheel is out of alignment, some feel the engine mounts are the culprits, and for some the problem miraculously disappeared. Several independent reviews of this car have noted the VCM operation, but nothing like the strong descriptors on this forum. Most of the reviews of this car (like the one on Edmunds' long term test) are positive reviews. The car continues to sell relatively well, in a weak economy.

Do an Internet search and Edmunds is the only site that lists negative comments in any real volume. The ones on VTEC.NET were posted by the same individual who used to be on Edmunds, but who disappeared after multiple argumentative posts and warnings.

There are 3 consistent variables....(1) these comments are almost exclusively limited to this Edmunds forum, (2) the complaints are not consistent and do not suggest a single source of the problem, and (3) in nearly every case, Honda is stating to the owner that the operation is normal. Honda acknowledges that VCM operation is perceptible, but that this sensation is a normal part of this car.

The change to their advertising literature is not relevant, in my humble opinion. No automotive drivetrain is totally seamless. You can feel and hear the engine in EVERY automobile. But for a small minority of Accord owners, it's obvious that VCM clearly elicits violently negative opinions. A very interesting and real phenomenon.
    And, your post has been, by far, the best post out of the 2000 plus.

You summed things up nicely.
    As much as Edmunds supports these open forums, it would be nice if occasionally their resident writers, engineers, and "experts" would chime in and offer their take on their own forum since they boast multiple drivers putting real world mileage to even out bias and personal slants as much as possible.

What I am most interested in, is whether there are different experiences concerning VCM operation, by drivers of the SAME CAR. Does one find VCM maddening, and another barely notice it? Are there any new entries, in the long term test? I can't seem to find it, and all I get is the introduction. Are the final results a secret?
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I've noticed that the strongest objectors to VCM activity are previous Accord owners. As you stated, it's a different kind of car, and to previous owners the differences seem to detract from the driving experience they had grown accustomed to in their past Accord's. My EX-L V6 with VCM is my first Accord and first Honda. One of my first posts in October of 07 I noted that previous owners should take a long test drive and concentrate on the driving experience as I felt it might be objectionable to those that had been accustomed to a very smooth and connected drive train that had always been an Accord selling point.

As a 53 year old male that wanted something a little larger than previous Accords as well as something a little more stylistic then Honda had designed in the past, I felt this was the Accord I had been waiting for. While it would have been nice if the VCM was imperceptible as Honda had originally claimed, the activity in my car has never been a serious detractor from the overall ownership experience. Considering the current crop of V6 sedans for under $30,000 and after 15 months and 16,000 miles of what some have described as VCM madness, this is still the car I would purchase today.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    I think you are right on the money.....many of the complainers appear to be repeat Honda owners, and in some cases are long time Honda loyalists.

I've owned a bunch of Accords in my lifetime....1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1997 (all sedans), 2003 coupe, and my current 2008 coupe. I agree that this current Accord is very different in the areas of driving dynamics, size, handling, and engine noise. Accords have always had road noise, but this current drivetrain has a coarser and more powerful sound. (Probably because it is a larger and stronger motor, plus maybe the VCM adds a dimension of sound or vibration as well.)

This current car also does not have the same high revving characteristic of previous generations. My 2003 and 2008 coupes also feel very different, even though both are 6speeds. To be honest, they don't even feel like they are that much related. Previous Accords felt lighter and more nimble, and this one simply feels big. But on average, that's what American drivers want. There is a reason why we get this version, while the rest of the world gets one more similar to the smaller and more efficient Acura TSX.
    You covered all the salient points. The short answer is - drive one before buying to see if it is noticeable, tolerable, intolerable, annoying etc. to you. Again, however, I would emphasize - if the car you test feels fine to you, buy THAT car and no other, because of possible variations in production tolerances that may make VCM more noticeable in one car than another.

And too I question what VCM has done to Honda performance. 268 HP now revised to 271HP with 0-60 times in the mid 7's according to Edmunds comparison test with the Mazda6 and the Nissan Altima. Beware V6 Honda drivers - V6 Camrys and Mazdas will blow your doors off by a full second or more to 60 and with sub 15 second 1/4 miles versus your 15.5+
    I think you are seeing the effects of engine enlargement. 3.0 seems to be the optimum for smoothness, power and effortless high RPM in a V6 for some reason I am sure an engineer could explain. That plus the fact that we are talking about 90 degree V6s which need balance shafts to smooth out their inherent harmonic imbalance could have something to do with it. A 60 degree V6 is inherently balanced - trouble is it is taller than a 90 degree V6 and offers a different set of challenges with a front drive car and to the designers.

Similar problem with inline 4s - get larger than 2.5 liters and they start getting rough, no matter WHO the manufacturer.
    Most V-6 buyers aren't drag racers and they don't care.

The V-6's tend to attract older customers and people who think they really need that extra power. Me? I think the 4 bangers are more than up to the task.

But, that's me.