Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• dagemdagem Member Posts: 13
    I just bought a 2011 Honda Accord EX with the I4 and so far so good, it's actually faster than my wife's Chevy Impala V6, according to the data, we haven't lined them up yet. :)

I drove the V6 and it seemed really strong after driving the I4, but when the ECO light was on and you gunned it, it seemed to lurch/lunge 3 or more times, I'm sure one or two were the transmission down shifting, but when the ECO light wasn't on it didn't seem to do it as often.

I decided I didn't like the idea of the car shutting cylinders off without me having any control. It seems like more tech than is needed for a daily driver. I wish they would have made it an option you could just turn off.

Back to the V6 vs I4, if you haul lots of people and cargo, get the V6. I got the I4 190HP, but it's mainly a daily driver for myself and my 3 year old daughter in town. However, it's on the highway a lot since I live in Marana and use I-10 to get most places in Tucson. It will go with no problem, I've never felt like I "needed" more power, there are time where a little more HP would have been nice, but I'm sure I could say the same about the V6.

As for the other cars the beat the Accord in tests, like the Hyundai Sonata (247 complaints filed with the NTHSB) that tested the car three times to get the rating they wanted, or the Nissan Altima with their long history of failed CVTs (Nissan extended the warranty to 120k/10yrs on certain year Altimas), or the 3 star front crash rating of the Fusion, I could go on but won't.

I chose the Accord for safety and reliability, but the seats... what were they thinking. They are the biggest drawback for me, my wife thinks they are just fine, but if I'm in the car for more than 15 minutes my back starts to hurt. You can read here on Edmunds forum or the Honda Accord forums about a possible fix, if you don't mind digging into the back of the driver seat.

Sorry for the long reply.
  • michael0137michael0137 Member Posts: 58
    Our 2008 Accord V6 gave me fits when we first got it - VCM going in and out and very noticeable. Economy? Ehhh...27-28 MPG road and 20-22 arond town. Thinking of paying $30,000? SAVE yourself some money and go for a REAL upgrade - a CERTIFIED used Acura RL - NO VCM, Navi, wood, REAL leather, 4000 pounds of solid ACE construction, Bose 5.1 Stereo, rear AC/Heat vents, built in sunshades and power rear window sun shade, memory seats, paddle shifters, 290 HP V6, 28-30+ hwy, 22 around town, Super Handling AWD and MORE! All for $25,000-30,000 depending on year and mileage. I made the switch after the tranny went on the Honda at 28K miles - got a 2008 Carbon Grey Pearl/Taupe with Tech Pkg and 18K on it - for $26,500 - a 3 year old $50,000 car. I got a GREAT deal - the car is mint, and you may not match it but can still get into one for less than $30K Seriously - check it out. An Acura with less than 30 K miles on it for that money - this car is in an entirely different league than the Accord - you can see it, and you can feel it the first time you drive it - and Acura is offering GREAT financing if you need it. Go or it - you'll never regret it
  • jr86510jr86510 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks and its ok I enjoy reading the responses as it is helping me decide.
    I'm definetly going to get the 4cyl because this forum has made me paranoid about the v6.
    I test drove another 2 of the v6s yesterday and did'nt really notice anything major. Minor shifts I can feel in the front seat while driving on the highway and my wife seemed perfectly fine with it.
    But the fact that it could start to vibrate and surge in the future has me really not interested in it anymore. And the fact that people on here say that Honda has given them the run around and not helping the ones who do have problems.
    The type of person I am, I know I will just be looking for problems once I buy it. :mad:
    michael0137 thanks for your response as well, I'm not interested in the Acura because I'm guessing maintenance and repairs would cost more than a Honda. My minds set on the 2011 accord ExL
    90% sure Im gonna get the 4cyl, but thanks again for the advice
    Maintenance on the Acura is like a Honda - nothing like maintaining a BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, etc. We have had 2 '88 Legends, 1 1990 Legend, a 1994 Legend Coupe, and now our son has a certified used 2005 RL and I have the 2008. We have NEVER had serious problems with any and only normal maintenance. True, it does use premium, but depending on how many miles you drive the annual cost difference versus a V6 Accord would be nominal - but you owe it to yourself to drive one - the features it has over the Honda are significant - the SH AWD being HUGE if you live in a snowy area, not to mention the other things I listed. You can get an extended byumper to bumper warranty as well as drivetrain that EXCEED the new Honda's coverage. Really - DRIVE ONE - you will not believe the difference. And for the same money???? It truly is, in my book, a no brainer.
    I am sorry that is your choice. The Acura weighs 4050 pounds of solid ACE construction. JUst took a trip to/from Syracuse NY - 225 miles each way from NYC. Averaged 29.5 MPG each way at an average speed of 73 MPH. I keep a steady speed without too much acceleration/deceleration, but did occasionally have to have full throttle acceleration and steady speeds of 85 MPH. The Acura is a far superior car - and you can get it used for less than the Honda! Lovin my Acura.
    Got rid of our 2008 Accord with VCM after the tranny went bad at 28K. Bought a 2008 Acura RL with 18K on it for $25K with extended warranty. Surprise! This car not only has SO many features the Honda can only dream about, but get this - just got 29.5 MPG at an average speed of 73 MPH EACH WAY on a 450 mile round trip with occasional full throttle bursts and steady cruising at 85 MPH - and all 6 cylinders firing and driving 4050+ pounds. VCM is a total joke.
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    edited May 2011
    I haven't bought a used car since 1987. Have no interest in buying someone else's headache - which is what my first two (used) cars were. I have also had a few new ones that I traded early for that exact reason - to give someone else the frigging headache, (out of the twelve new vehicles bought from 88 to present) .

So far the VCM on the 08 V6 Accord Sedan is somewhat annoying, but hasn't broken, thrown service codes, or failed. Until that happens, I just am ignoring the oddball sensations, and driving it until it does throw a service code or I want a new car. It still outruns and out handles most of the other crap people are driving around here, and the price and features were right.

A new Acura of the model you suggest is just a 'little' more expensive than a new fully loaded V6 Accord Sedan - 'little' being around $20K or so. As for the mileage, the EPA rating for a V6 RL AWD is nowhere near the 29 highway - and it is very unusual for a typical driver to exceed that number.

I always want the toys on a new car, so the loaded price is realistic for me - and for $50+ there are higher rated / reviewed cars to choose.
    ------------------------------------
    2011 Acura RL test results from C&D

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_acura_rl_sh-awd-short_take_roa- - d_test

Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED: $56,010 (base price: $48,060)

ENGINE TYPE: SOHC 24-valve V-6, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 224 cu in, 3664 cc
    Power (SAE net): 300 bhp @ 6300 rpm
    Torque (SAE net): 271 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed automatic with manumatic shifting

DIMENSIONS:
    Wheelbase: 110.2 in Length: 195.8 in
    Width: 72.7 in Height: 57.3 in
    Curb weight: 4115 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
    Zero to 60 mph: 6.1 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 16.1 sec
    Zero to 130 mph: 34.2 sec
    Street start, 5–60 mph: 6.4 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 14.7 sec @ 96 mph
    Top speed (governor limited): 132 mph
    Braking, 70–0 mph: 180 ft

FUEL ECONOMY:
    EPA city/highway driving: 17/24 mpg
    C/D observed: 16 mpg
    Sorry to hear of your poor experiences with used cars. We have bought 3 previously used Acuras - '88,'90, '94 Legends - all gave us exemplary service. They were not headaches. And that was before Carfax - this '08 has been properly maintained, and has a good history. I had it thoroughly inspected by an ASE mechanic before buying it, and got a 5 year/80k extended warranty with it. My son also gets about 29 MPG on the highway with his '05 RL - one of the reasons I bought one. We average around 20-22 in NYC driving, and the 29 on the highway. Having previously owned 4 Acura Legends, our experiences were that they get better mileage in the real world than the EPA says. This car does not get rave reviews from the car mags as you alude to, and I always pooh poohed it as an opverpriced Honda - until he bought his and I drove it. It drives NOTHING like a Honda - tight, firm, precise steering, great brakes, AWD, and ALL the amenities you could ever want, and then some. This is a VERY underrated car, but to our advantage as used car buyers and why I got the deal I did. Have you driven one? Do so before you throw darts at it - you'll be surprised - I was and I am a car nut - XKE, Camaro SS, Honda S2000, and have driven Ferraris, Maseratis, Lamborghinis, Alfas, Porsches, etc.
    Our 2008 Honda Accord was fine for 28K - then went beserk, tranny downshifting by itself, VSA lights on, D ligh.t flashing on the dash. The dealer siad it was input and output sensors in the tranny going bad, but when I got the car back, it was not right, staying in 5th even after turning a slow corner and not downshifting. I think the VCM had something to do with it, its constant in and out of 6-4-3 modes constantly, causing the tranny to shift more often than it would otherwise need to with a normal V6

I am thrilled with the car - everything I remembered about an Acura, and more. The technology in this car is awesome, and you can't touch it in a BMW or Merc for less than $20,000 + new. And I have owned those - repair hell - BMW = Break My Wallet. When they are runing right, they are great cars. Takes too much to keep them that way IMHO. I don't want to be taking my car to the shop all the time. The used Acuras we had? Bought one with 96k on it for our son, drove it to 168K and sold it - no troubles. Another with 122K - one owner, drove to 180K and donated it. No problems. '94 Legend Coupe with 49K - put another 25K on it without any problems, then moved to NYC and sold it. A good used Acura, certified? You can't go wrong. My NEWLY purchased Honda gave us more serious trouble and nearly stranded us on the road. Unacceptable and gone.
  • gusmorgangusmorgan Member Posts: 3
    To sunnfun:
    I would love to have those email addresses for the CEO and directors. Please post or email me at gusmorgan@cox.net.

thanks,
    Gus
    edited June 2011
    Just heard a Honda ad on TV (where they focused on touting fuel economy), in which the pitchman comes right out and says something like 'seamlessly operates on as little as three cylinders'.

HAHAHAHA.

Sometimes you can really feel the VCM in my Accord get confused. I just ignore it, as I know the car is running 'normal' - but it is easy to tell, regardles of the silly eco light (marketing gimmick).

Dealer said there were no firmware update at my last visit.
    ----------
    The also did the fix in the TSD for the package shelf rattle, it didn't work.
    It is astonishing to me that on one yet has been able to nail them on false advertising. My VCM was quite noticeable from the get go - sorta disappeared at about 3000 miles, and as you say, you could feel it get confused, and I was VERY unhappy about its response to immediate passing power needs when running on 3 and having to go to 6. But, when the tranny went at 28K and the whole darn car went crazy - VSA light on, D light flashing on and off, the tranny downshifting 3 gears and the ECO light going off and staying off, that was the last straw. NEVER again would I buy a Honda V-6 with anything but normal V6 operation. The V6 in my Acura RL? A dream. And the VCM touted gas mileage improvement??? A laugh - my 2008 Acura RL gets 29 MPG on the highway at 75 MPH - BETTER than anything I ever got with the VCM - and on the exact same roads and trip - Manhattan to Syracuse, NY via I-80, I-380, I-81. All this in a car with 290 HP and weighs 4100 pounds! It also runs about 500 RPM lower at the same speeds as the Honda when cruising. Why does Honda not do something to lower cruising RPMs?? They have done it in the Acura division.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    In early June we took a trip to Las Vegas & averaged 27.x-29.x. Yesterday we got home from a 1-day trip to Denver, over the Continental Divide both ways & averaged 29.8 on the way over and 33.4 on the way home.

Don't get me wrong: I STILL don't like VCM & will never buy another Honda if it has VCM.
    edited June 2011
    Well, the kicker is this - we sold the 2008 Accord for which we paid $26,000 with 28k miles on it for $18,000, and turned around and bought a $50,000 used 2008 RL/Tehc Pkg. with 18K miles for $25,000 - less than a new Accord V6. AWD, Bose 5.1 Stereo, NO VCM!!!! YEA!!! :D , 29 MPG, paddle shifters, rear AC vents and sun shades, including power sun shade in rear window, Navigation, turn activated headlights, turn signals in side view mirrors, HID headlights, 4100 pounds solid, and drives like no Honda I have ever driven. A WORLD of difference. Hate the VCM?? Now is the time to think about doing what I did - used Hondas are in great demand and prices high - used RLs are depressed. perfect opportunity
    Yeah, an Acura sounds nice, but I have FOUR major challenges in that regard: 1) No Acura dealer within 200 miles. 2) No used Acuras for sale locally at this time. 3) Used Acura RLs over in Denver are selling for much more than what you paid. 4) AFAIK, there isn't even a local repair shop where I could take an Acura. The Honda dealer might take on the job, or maybe not.

I guess we will have to drive our Accord for awhile.

FWIW, we have no local dealers for Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Land Rover or Volvo. That's the price you pay for living where there's few people, no traffic and no smog--works for me!
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Your Honda dealer will be happy to work on your Acura.

Regarding VCM mileage, my daughter just drove our 2011 Accord VCM from Indy to Nashville and with only 2,000 miles on the car, it averaged 32.5mpg.

Not bad.

AND, it has not burned a drop of oil.
    That's too bad. Just a suggestion. I live in NYC - Manhattan - and there is NO Honda dealer!
  • 38003800 Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2011
    About to turn only 17K on my '10 EXL V6. Itching to take advantage of what I assume will be a high resale value. Just waiting to see what new vehicles catch my interest. Not a Toyota fan but if the new 2012 Camry is a winner, I may trade this in and be done with VCM.
    You want one of the most boring, utilitarian pieces of transportation on the market? You're a real point A to point B guy without a drop of enthusiast blood in your body. Good grief.
  • dinofldinofl Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2011
    After driving my vibrating, constantly shifting, gas guzzling piece of crap 2010 V6 coupe, a smooth, yet boring Camry would be a dream!!
  • 38003800 Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2011
    My wife drives this vehicle- , nice try though........TROLL.
    My father left me a loaded 2007 Camry Hybrid - leather, bluetooth, JBL stereo, etc. etc. - $31,000+ new, with only 11,900 miles on it - MINT. The weirdest driving, boring, slow, but yes one of the quietest cars I have ever driven. I sold it. Not for me. I have driven Toyotas and their V6 is very nice, but the finish even in the "high end" Camrys is cheap, and they handle like an old Buick. Again - not for me.

But that said, I will never again buy any car with variable cylinder management regardless of the manufacturer. It is disappoionting to see Honda now put the VCM Engine in the Odyssey, Accord, and now the Pilot.
    I hate it. Hope they never do it to the Acura or I will be finished with them after 30 years of loyal ownership. And given the latest from the EPA? I intend to hang onto my '08 RL for as long as possible.
    edited July 2011
    LOL, you make me laugh. I'm a troll now, eh? Good try. I just hang out on these Edmonds threads just waiting to pounce on any Honda fans? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha- - - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahhahah!!!!! You are a joke. The FACT is, if you like Camrys, you are NOT an auto enthusiast.
  • elliott2elliott2 Member Posts: 64
    That's great for your daughter. My Accord VCM didn't start burning oil until after the break-in oil was changed. If you look at the latest sales figures, Honda has got some real problems with the sales of Accords, down 30+%. Some of the competitors models are a more compeling choice and at a better price.
    We bought our '08 Acura Rl with 18k miles on it for $25,000. MINT - from AZ. Hired an inspector who gave it two thumbs up, and trucked it back to us in NY. If looking for a NEW car in that price range, I would have to drive Hyundai Sonata - it is beating out the Accord in all comparison tests - don't know the car well enough to even know if it has a V6 - know about the 4 and the turbo 4, but prefer a 6. Yeah, I think Honda needs to refocus. However, its sales are off a lot because of the tsunami - and good used Hondas are going through the roof!
    That's an interesting point about not burning oil until after the FF was changed. Maybe Honda has a good reason for having all its dealers insist on not changing it until <15% on the MM which seems to be 7500-8000 for most folks. I'm curious: what mileage did you do your first OC and what oil did you use?
    edited July 2011
    Honda hasn't taken VCM to their premium brand. Maybe a good reason?
    The salesman said I could go 10,000 before 1st oil change. At 7800 it said I had 5% life left. I live in FL and do very little highway driving and car felt a little off so I got it changed. Brought it to Tires Plus for $25. Don't know the brand, but definitely felt smoother. I'm big on following mfgr guidelines. They design the damn cars. Btw it's a lease.
  • elliott2elliott2 Member Posts: 64
    The car started using oil at around 10,000 miles. The tech at the Honda garage insists that it's not burning oil, it's "using" oil. We've had the other problems with the car also: the rear brakes were gone at 17,000 miles and were replaced. The torque converter went out at 34,000 miles. The style of this particular model is a great looking car inside and out. Mechanically, it's one of the worst Accords ever made as demonstrated by its poor rating for resale value. I've had five Accords now and have been impressed with everyone except the 2008. Honda lost it on this model.
    Our car's tranny started giving us major problems at 28K. They replaced input and output sensors and told me the car was fixed. Uh-uh - I had driven the car 28K and it was NOT performing correctly. That did it for me - had the brake problems fixed under warranty or class action suit, but then the tranny? Bye bye hated VCM and hello Acura RL. Sold the Honda on ebay for $18,000 - paid $26,000 new, and bought the 2008 RL with only 18,000 miles on it for $25,000 - new $50,000. Best decision I have recently made. My experience with cars - they give you problems early - they ALWAYS are a problem.
    I really wanted to love my beautiful Belize blue coupe. The Eco light and VCM Vibrations drove me nuts. Amazingly I was 19 months into a 36 month lease and was able to trade it in for a VW CC R Line with an MSRP over $31k and put no money down and have the exact same payments! I know no car is perfect, but the CC offers a lot more for the money. Both seats have power adjustment and power lumbar. HD radio, SD card slot, iPod connection, Bluetooth, etc. Not feeling any of the vibrations. I felt bad trading in the Accord because I fell in love with it on the showroom. If Honda decides to make a real V6 again I might come back, but I doubt it. My cousin had a Honda Ridgeline with VCM and his tranny completely seized up while driving on the highway. They never gave him an explanation, but we think it had something to do with the VCM. Best of luck to all.
    edited August 2011
    Sorry, dinofl, but the Ridgeline has never had VCM. Only the Pilot & Odyssey have VCM besides the Accord. We are on our second Ridgeline (a 2010--first one was a 2008) and we're VERY pleased with how the engine runs--no vibrations/transitions and NO ECO light! Not so pleased with the mileage though--we average 18-20 mpg in combined driving and might see 21-22 on a long trip at moderate speeds, like under 65 mph.
  • remorse1remorse1 Member Posts: 1
    Honda EX-L V6 - the road noise is killing me. I left the back window opened and the car sounded like it was about to take off like a helicopter. I know the navi is outdated but the large screen and type w/backup monitor is useful. I cannot get comfortable in the seats. I have buyers remorse. I wish I did less research as this was the top pick.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Almost all modern cars have a problem with open windows, try different combination of windows and you should find one that is less annoying. My 2010 EX-L V6 has way to much tire noise, as did my 2008. Seats may not be the best but I've done some 8-10 hour drives and found them OK.
    My bad. My cousin thought it had VCM because he had similar problems as me before his tranny went. Glad you like your Ridgeline. I have always liked Honda products until my coupe and vcm. Best of luck.
    edited August 2011
    Road, tire & wind noise are all problems with newer Hondas. One reason is a lack or a reduction of soundproofing material. Saves money and weight I suppose, but the high level of noise on the highway is most annoying.

I stripped the trunk and removed the rear seat in our 2010 Accord EX-L 4-door and glued in a huge bunch of Dynamat on all the exposed surfaces. This dropped the noise level to the point that it is now tolerable. It took an entire afternnon & evening to get the job done, but you can have Dynamat installed by some car stereo shops--expensive though. They can also do the inside of the doors & entire floor if you want more noise reduced. If you don't like noise, Dynamat is your friend!

When I removed the back seat, there was only one very small strip, about 2" x 12-15" of what could be considered sound deadening material stuck on the sheet metal. I was able to simply pry it out and toss it away. I can't imagine it deadened or reduced much noise as it was less than 1/4" thick and resembled dried mud.

High levels of road, tire & wind noise was mentioned by Consumer Reports as one of the reasons they no longer recommend the new 2011 Honda Civic. Older Civic models had been high on CR's list for many years.

What the heck is going on at Honda?
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    What the heck is going on at Honda? That is the question that many are asking. When I'm watching their marketing materials on TV as well as print, I see a company that is resting on its laurels. With tag lines like Accord &#150; The One and Only &#150; I&#146;m reminded that this claim is the result of accolades accumulated over many years. If they were to cull items from recent reviews they would read something like: Accord &#150; a decent choice but no longer the top in its class. They worked hard and rose to the top as a result of that hard work. Over the last few years there has been little innovation and their vehicles now trail the competitors in area like automatic transmissions and ride refinement. To achieve the robust connectivity offered in many Hyundai&#146;s and Ford and GM products, you would have to move to an Acura. While most of us want to remain loyal to the brand, in today&#146;s economy we all want the most for our hard earned dollars and to get that we may be forced to bypass Honda in the future.
    First, we had a great buying experience: Internet quote for $5,000 off sticker. The car is beautiful with White Orchid Pearl paint over tan leather. All driving inputs are superior--acceleration, braking, steering and suspension. Space is commodious. I am 6'-4" and fit in the back comfortably. Granted, we only have 3,000 miles on this 2011 EX-L but it hasn't burned one drop of oil. It is sad to see other owners displeased but the point is, they are not all lemons.
    The newest generation Accord is still a very nice vehicle, but it is being surpassed (easily?) by its competition. We still enjoy ours and expect to keep it awhile longer, but it may likely be our last Honda. There's no valid reason, except brand loyalty, to keep buying inferior products. Honda really needs to stop resting on its past successes/laurels and start building vehicles that are at least competitive in the marketplace. I have read that Honda's new CEO, a fellow named Ito, is primarily to blame for the lack of innovation & state-of-the-art features in Honda products. If true, Honda's board should immediately replace him.

The seemingly never-ending problem with excessive wind, tire & road noise is SO easy to fix, yet Honda won't step up and do what is needed. This issue will continue to plague Honda and become a primary reason potential buyers reject their products. IMHO, this issue shouldn't exist, especially in cars that were much quieter in the past.

As a side note, this particular topic has seemed to attract an unusually high number of dissatisfied Accord owners, especially those with VCM problems/issues that Honda refuses to fix. Perhaps that's due to not having a different topic on this forum where problems/issues can be openly discussed/debated. Whatever. It's good for the soul to have a place to vent & rant, especially if you have been treated badly.
    edited August 2011
    IMO - Honda is discovering that you can't cheapen the cost of the product without buyers noticing the results. A missing courtesy light here, more hard and cheap plastic there, topped off with less attention to detail on the design.

If it's a person's first Accord, they don't notice. But if you have owned an Accord from certain prior generation models, it's painfully obvious.

The car has gone from a slightly tight interior size with nice features/performance/build quality, to a butt large living room sofa (ala the Crown Victoria) with any model other than the EX or higher model feeling like a rental car due to strippage of features. That my opinion, as I have an 08 Accord EX-L V6 NAVI, and got an a 08 LX loaner from the dealer during service - BLEAH!

The Acura TSX is what an Accord is overseas, and seems more in tune with what prior generations were. I should have looked at it, but I didn't expect the Accord to have certain issues, but it does.

It also seems like the dealers are turning into the stereotypical domestic car dealers of old - feeding people bs on service issues, getting back into pushing packages of services for mileage intervals (instead of what the auto maker recommends), etc.

And yes, every time I drive a decent highway trip, the VCM is right there bogging in and out, along with the rear package shelf rattle the dealer applied the supposed fix for. Top off with the brakes shuddering in hot weather on high speed braking, yet that issue doesn't seem to present on lower speed driving - weird.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    You really sumed it up nicely about how Honda has cheapened up the Accord! My son was looking for a replacement car for his 99 Civic Lx which gave him 200,000 miles of dependable travel. Wanting to upgrade, he went looking at the V6 EXL Accord. He test drove the vehicle then asked me my thoughts. His observations he noticed the "hunting" and the constant VCM light. He thought the transmission was the issue. Also noticed was the lack of the Key Lock on the seat back, something his Civic had. After learning more about the VCM, he quickly crossed the Accord off the list!

He Ended up with a loaded Toyota Venza (ruled out the ugly slow selling Cross V6)with none of the VCM crap and a six speed auto>>something Honda is trying to avoid! While this may be an apple to an orange comparision, the Toyota V6s has NO VCM, is turbine smooth, with 6 speed auto and gets the same economy!.

Honda is way behind the curve..even consumer Reports said the new Civic is no longer a class leader. The Accord is nothing more than an also ran. Too bad, as I had enoyed many years with the older Accords! Reminds me of how the old GM lost its way>> paving the way for me to go to Honda to begin with! Now GM seems to get it!
    edited August 2011
    Yes, there is no inside key release for the rear seat fold down (you have to pull the release in the trunk) - one more thing that vanished during cost cutting. Though there is a key released pass-through behind the rear armrest for long items (at least on the higher trim lines).

I always notice the VCM, don't need the eco light to tell. The people who pay attention to their cars functioning will notice the vcm easily after driving it a bit. Only reason I haven't traded mine, is the low mileage, and job uncertainty at the moment. Normally it's three years and out for my cars - and lately that's been before the 30K mile mark.

I got a very good price on this car, even with dealer add-ons that I wanted. Trouble is, price is secondary to quality for me. My prior car was a 06 Subaru Outback Wagon XT Limited (4cyl turbo w/five speed manual) - which is a pricy vehicle for it's size. It's sticker in 06 was equal or higher than the 08 Accord EX-l V6 Navi.

This Accord has the most paint flaws of any new car I've had since 96. Kinda sad, but since I had to wait for it to be produced and delivered, I couldn't turn it down for those minor things...

I'm not ready to say GM has 'got it', yet. Have to remember that all the bankruptcy did was allow them to cut their personnel costs. It didn't suddenly create great designs, better quality, etc. The models on sale now are from before the re-org, and while they may be OK, it remains to be seen if GM will put too many incentives on them - resulting in the same 'dime a dozen' issue when getting rid of a used one (low resale).
    Thank goodness - or I would be driving something else.
    Pilot now has VCM too.
    While Toyota has had its own issues regarding quality, I applaud your son's decision. The VCM is not "seamless" as Honda advertises - how they get away with that I have no idea. We have had 14 Honda/Acura products over 30 years and NEVER a problem with any until the '08 EXL V6 with VCM. The hunting drove me nuts. And gas mileage was nothing to write home about. At 28k it went berserk - lights flashing on the dash, speedometer stop working, D light flashing , VSA light flashing, and the tranny downshifting into what seems to be 3rd gear - all by itself. Fortunately it happened within about 20 miles from home and we were able to limp - literally - back. Paragon Honda replaced input/output sensors and pronounced it fine - I drove it - uh-uh. Was not downshifting when slowing down and going around a corner - stayed in 5th. They wouldn't listen to me - so bye bye. Overall, I would say the car was not the best built Honda I have ever had - certainly the biggest and nicest equipped - but the ONLY Honda product EVER to scare me that it would leave us stranded, and that includes a 1990 Legend with 180,000 miles on it that ran like a top when we got rid of it. Our newest acquisition - 2008 Acura RL with Tech package gets BETTER mileage running on all 6 cylinders at 75-80 than the Honda did with 3!!! Never again VCM for me. Interesting that if VCM is such a great idea, why it is not on any Acura - including the V6 TSX - the European Honda.
  • ed_biscaneed_biscane Member Posts: 2
    That's not weird at all. You have to sand the crud off of your rotors that have built up from the pads. Normal.
  • ed_biscaneed_biscane Member Posts: 2
    GM seems to get it? By going bankrupt and claiming all of the new problems their cars are having are the customer's problem because the "new" GM didn't sell them the car? Right. GM is a joke. You couldn't pay me to drive that trash.
  • zadeedzadeed Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased this 2011 honda accord from Tempe Honda. Currently it has approximately 4000 miles. Last week all of sudden my check engine light came on and it started to flashing and my car started to shake badly. I took it to the dealership and they said one of the cylinder was misfiring. They kept the car for 3 days and told me that cylinder 2 valves were too tight and this was causing the cylinders to misfire. They claimed adjusting the valve got rid of the issue. I came home happily and the next day when I was going to work it happened again. I took it back to the dealership and the service manager refused to take the car back. I told him I am not driving this car until you fix it and he told me if I can reproduce the problem he would take the car back to the shop for repair. I drove with him for half an hour and was able to reproduce the problem multiple times. after 2 days the service manager got back to me saying the problem is in cylinder 1. they replaced some valve controls to fix this issue. The dealer has driven 200 miles and they could not reproduce the scenario. I got my car back yesterday.

Today I have been noticing this new problem. The car vibrates when I am driving on the freeway. At this point I am not sure what else I can do to fix this issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks....
    Is it the V6-4-3? Sorry to hea that - will probably have to seek relief under the lemon law or with the Honda zone rep. Check my postings and experience with the V6 - I got rid of it and wholesaled it on the internet to a dealer in TX. Thank God. What a piee of crap. Honda is committing false advertising about this engine and its "seamless operation"and doing a GREAT disservice to a loyal customer base , of which I was one - since 1981.
    Yes, I won an Acura RL - made by Honda - but let me tell you - there is a WORLD of difference between them - and it is made in Japan. Tight and solid as a any German car.
  • dilt1dilt1 Member Posts: 11
    for those suffering with engine and oil consumption issues, please take a look at the following two links for service bulletins 10-033 and 11-033.

I had the same problems with my 2010 V6 and the oil consumption seems to have abated with no noticeable consumption noted over the last 2000 miles.

http://mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb/A10-033.PDF

http://dvpatel.homelinux.com/forumfiles/SB/A11-033.PDF

Insist the appropriate service bulletin(s) are installed in your vehicle. Print out the bulletins and take them with you. Hard to argue when you have the documentation in hand.
  • zadeedzadeed Member Posts: 2
    It is a V6. I drive 35 miles one way to work. My both hands are numb because of the engine vibration. I am going to call the dealership again and see what kind of excuse they provide at this time. I don&#146;t know how to pursue the lemon law. Do you know how can I file my case to the court?
    Thanks in advance,