Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• dpmeersmandpmeersman Posts: 274
    Their changing a statement from completely seamless to nearly seamless can hardly be called a complete revamping of their marketing materials. Their corporate lawyers have probably told them that if your response to an owners questioning the not so seamless operation of VCM as being normal then it would be in Honda's interest to have marketing material reflect that. You can't market something as completely seamless and have a percentage of buyers questioning the validity of the statement and respond with Honda's mantra that it is operating within normal parameters. If your corporate stance is that this is normal change the advertising material to something close to completely seamless. Nearly seamless fits the bill in describing how mine works and satisfies the lawyers concern about misleading advertising, and misleading it was. Its unfortunate that this isn't how it was presented from the start. I don't believe that I would have been scared away from considering the 08 V6 had their campaign originally stated nearly seamless. Judging by recent sales numbers the current statement concerning the nearly seamless operation of VCM hasn't been turning away to many customers. Anyone know where you can find sales breakdown numbers? I'm curious what the breakdown would be in V6 and I4 numbers being sold, and how the mix would compare to previous years sales of 6's and 4's. I'm pretty sure with whats going on with gas prices and other areas of the economy that the 4's are far out pacing the 6's in sales. From what I've seen in 08 mpg's reported by most people, their is a lot of dissatisfaction with the 4's actual fuel economy, not a big difference between mpg's from both engines if a fair amount of city miles are in the mix. Honda's response to those complaining about their 4 cyl actual mpg's aren't what they expected is going to be...... are you ready...... IT'S OPERATING WITHIN THE NORMAL RANGE. At least this time they can point to the 21 mpg on the sticker to prove their point.
  • donegaldonegal Posts: 49
    Some information on Honda sales can be found at:

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1090/releases/4649
  • gnomegnome Posts: 7
    I'm glad I did not know of any "don't buy" observations about this coupe when I traded in my great low-mileage 2007 Accord V6 coupe last Oct.1. I would have missed 10 months of driving fun in a new, comfortable, powerful, handsome, problem-free and much-admired vehicle. I sympathize with those who have problems but I keep wondering how wide-spread the matters are. I subscribe to four automotive magazines and also follow car reviews in consumer publications, newspapers and online. It seems that the overall press reports of the 2008 models have been decidely positive. I find it hard to think I'm one of a very few lucky 2008 owners. Still, an unresolved VCM or other problem can torment.
  • golfrskigolfrski Posts: 262
    I just read what I wrote and nowhere do I see "complete revamping of their marketing materials" simply "revamped".. your interpretation of my post is as inaccurate as hondas "Completely to nearly seamless" comparison I am afraid. Glad you like your VCM Operations and mileage results. Sounds like you dont have the same issues as some of us plagued here.

Golfr
    move back in the posts you will find several publications including the WSJ that talk to the maddening VCM operation and vibration shimmy issues... who is to say how wide spread it is except to see Honda change the advertising, and look at how many 08 V6's have been for sale with less than 10K miles since Dec of last year.. many in my area......
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    "then why would Honda go so far as to revamp all their literature, marketing materials and websites last month..."

Ok, so he wasn't word for word, but you do imply it there in post 1771.
  • elliott2elliott2 Posts: 64
    The steering problem is apparently more widespread than many think. This is not the only blog where customers are complaining. The saleman who sold me the car called me at home to tell me off the record that the dealership has received numerous calls (despite what the service dept. keeps saying).
    its ONE BIG nightmare for me. I spoke to a guy tonight at a local restaurant in the parking lot with an 08 V6 same car as mine, color etc, no deviation at all and he was LIVID about his car.... same issues with the vibration/shimmy that WILL NOT go away and the dealer (he said) says its normal???? I mean cmon already this is not right... I sit here amazed that honda is not getting a TSB out there to fix this.. it makes zero sense to me as a long time accord owner.. how technically complicated could it be? I purchased a 2003 accord LX for my mother brand new and it shook like crazy at idle.. Honda came out with a anti vibration kit for the motor mounts and its now perfect...
    can u direct us to the other sites?
  • mccombmccomb Posts: 1
    When I move the gear selection lever from Park or Reverse to drive forward, I noticed that the gear shift lever stops at D3 (3rd Gear) not at D (5th Gear). I find this unusual as with most other cars with automatic transmissions you must move the lever and/or use a button/knob to chose a lower forward gear other High Gear. At times, I find myself going 65 miles an hour and the engine is turning over 3000 rpms all because I am in D3 and not in D. The Honda Dealer tells me this is the way that the Honda engineers designed the car.
    Does anyone else notice that their 08 Accord stops at D3, or maybe, it is just my car that does this? If this is the way Honda designed their 2008 Accord, why would you want your car to default to stopping in D3 as oppossed to D?

I'd like to hear from other 2008 Accord owners who have a V-6 with an automatic transmission. Thanks for any help.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I have the 03 V6 Automatic, but the shifter works the same way. A few times, when we first got the car, I went a little too far, and put the shifter in D3. After we got used to how far to pull the shifter back, it hasn't been a problem. I guess it's designed this way, so you can easily downshift (for extra power) without having to push the button on the shifter. I think you should be able to get a feel for the shifter after a while.
    Here's the Consumer Reports blog site for honda accord. It's quite long but interesting to read the same problems posted on this site:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/10/honda-accord.html
    Honda managed to fall to 9th place in reliability by the J.D. Power ratings that were recently released; one point better than Jaguar.
    Are these the same JD Power ratings that had the late-90s Malibu (which has a poor track-record for reliability) near the top of the heap?
    I don't know how they ranked the late-90's Malibu, but Lexus is now at the top of the heap in many of the various categories.
    How many of you are feeling the steering wheel or drivers seat "shimmy"/Vibration with this car when cold, having sat idle for a short time and especially at speeds 45-50MPH and most notably 62-71MPH I have always suffered this and curious how many others have it...makes for a miserable highway drive experience especially on road trips.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Are these the same JD Power ratings that had the late-90s Malibu (which has a poor track-record for reliability) near the top of the heap?

Yes, the 97 Malibu was supposed to be the car that was "On par with the Asian rivals". Not even close. My father had one, and I know better. Consumer Reports also had the 2000 Malibu included in the "Reccomended" models. Obviously, it doesn't take much to impress these people. :confuse:
  • astro13astro13 Posts: 26
    How long did it take for your VCM problem to disappear? I have noticed a slight problem, not the extreme surges like some others have experienced, but almost like the car is in between gears and can't decide what to do when cruising on the highway. I didn't notice this when I test drove the car before picking it up, but maybe I didn't test drive it long enough. After 2,000 miles it has gotten better, but still noticable at times. I find that the harsh downshifting at lower speeds sometimes is almost just as annoying. Is this part of the VCM problem or the Grade Logic transmission and will this improve over time?
    VCM and it cannot be improved upon as is, I assume you have a 2008 Model year? Time will tell if Honda quietly improved the 09
  • jam1000jam1000 Posts: 182
    Exactly my symptoms. It is less noticeable after about 4,000 miles, but it could also be that I'm more used to it. It still remains annoying, though. It is without doubt the least smooth car I have ever had. Like sunnfun, I plan to get rid of mine in the next few months, when I have a better sense of what the market price is for it. A huge disappointment.
  • well hard to improve something when there isn't a problem.
    The fear mongering on here almost caused me not to buy an Accord......would have been a huge mistake.
  • jhinscjhinsc Posts: 399
    I've read posts here that state how "maddening" it is to see this light indicator go on and off. When driving my 08 V6, I find once I get up to cruising speed, it stays on almost all the time. I've only had it 3 days so it might be another 4-5 days before I can check the mileage on my tank. I have not experienced anything unusual. Whether I'm going 25 or 65, the engine runs very smoothly. I'm happy so far! :D
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, I think we've established that there are some Accords that have a noticeable problem but that most don't. I'm glad yours is fine. :-)
    I was looking at the Honda website, and the 2009 info is up for the Accord. If I am reading it correctly, it appears that Honda has dropped Grade Logic from the Accord -- at least it does not seem to be advertised as a feature. I am wondering whether / how the Grade Logic plays into the VCM issues we've been discussing and why, if true, Honda decided to drop this feature.
    Considering that Grade Logic has been on Accords for well over a decade (my '96 has GLC), I'd be surprised if they dropped this feature.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Posts: 274
    Thanks for the heads up about the 09's on their site. Look closely and Grade Logic is still part of the package.
    http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/performance.aspx

TransmissionsChoose a quick-shifting 5-speed manual transmission. Or opt for the available 5-speed automatic that features our Grade Logic Control system, which helps put an end to gear-hunting when climbing uphill or driving back down
    I missed it; thanks to all for flagging it.

Ironic that the Grade Logic is claimed to put an end to gear hunting when many (including myself) are complaining that one of the flaws with the VCM is that it causes a gear hunting sensation.
  • I'm experiencing a vibration in an VCM sedan mostly between 35 - 45 mph and 1500-2000 rpm. It feels like one of those small roadside emergency air compressors strapped somewhere inside the engine compartment. I have less than 600 miles on the car. Dealer says they took several cars out on the lot and they did the same thing. They acknowledged what I was feeling and said that what I was feeling was the active motor mounts. It's quite pronounced and there's no mistaken when it's on. They said Honda techline states no corrective action at this time.

I do not have the high speed shimmy vibration that others speak of though, and I don't notice the surging either - it's just this low speed vibration. I asked them to swap the motor mounts out. They said they would call me when they have a set of mounts to install. They told me that although they feel strongly that swapping the mounts wouldn't make a difference, they would do it for me anyway. Anyone else getting this specific problem?

I drove someone's coupe and it does the same thing, but it's nowhere near as noticeable as my sedan - his has over 5k on it now.

Is this the problem that others have stated has gotten better after a few thousand miles? I know my friend's car now has over
    Are yu sure the vibration you are feeling is not coming from your seat and steering wheel? Also do you feel any vibration between speeds 62-71MPH with specific focus on 65 on the dot?? Dont think "shimmy" when you test, just look for vibration in the traditional sense like out of balanced tires....