Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• keitha3keitha3 Posts: 124
    Really sorry to hear that. Even though I haven't experienced the problem myself as of yet, Honda's attitude toward the issue makes me furious and much less trusting of their name.

Honda, do what is right! :mad: This disappointment will erode your previously good name. It isn't worth it.

Me72, I hope you get even cent you paid on that Lemon back.

By the way, do you have navigation in it?
  • me72me72 Posts: 2
    no, do not have navigation.

i finally heard back from the case manager. claims he's never heard of any problems with the vcm. :mad: :lemon:
    Send him a link to this thread.

By the way, he shouldn't even be in his position if he's walking around blindfolded as to a very significant issue with the new Accords. I find it unbelievable that he's unaware.

Honda, you designed, engineered, and distributed this car, no? Shouldn't you know more about it than anyone else and shouldn't you put that engineering talent to coming up with a fix for the poor folk who are enduring the problem, i.e. your customers? :sick:

Sorry for the ranting folks, but this is just stupid.
  • For over 20 some years we used Honda Accords, either purchased or leased. We have been loyal customer of Honda Motorcars simply because they build a reliable car and had good service. We never encountered any problems until we purchased an entirely new model Honda Accord 2008.
    As in the past we expected a new car with no problems. We test drove the car in the city at 35-40 miles per hour without any problems. However, after we took the car on the highway from 55 miles per hour to 62 miles we felt vibration in the steering wheel and some vibration in the accelerator pedal. Additionally there was a humming sound. The humming sound was a lot more noticeable when we drove next to the highway divider.
    I took the car to the dealer and complained of the problems. The Assistant Manager test drove the car, he thought that perhaps the tires were imbalanced so he rotated and replaced 2 tires. The problem did not get alleviated. The Assistant . Manager and a mechanic both test drove the car and both admitted in front of me that they noticed the same problem. The Asst. Manager told me that they were presenting this problem to their engineering people in Los Angeles with the request to respond. After numerous calls to see if they received any response from their L.A. engineering department. In the meantime the service center borrowed a 2008 Honda Accord ( exact model as mine) for me to test drive. I confirmed that there was also a vibration problem with this new car so the Asst. Manager also drove this car and confirmed after he test drove the car himself that indeed there was vibration.
    A month went by when the service center still had no response from their engineering department in L.A .
    They suggested that I'd bring in the car back in when their Service Manager from Honda Motorcar Co. in Michigan who is in charge of all the Service Centers belonging to the car dealer in this region visited their service center. He calls on all service centers on a regular basis.
    At their request I brought the car in and met the Service Center Manager from Michigan. He was accompanied by the local Service Manger, their mechanic and myself to drive the car on the highway.
    I proceeded to explain the problems to the Michigan Service Manager and what the local Service Center had done for this car up to this point, namely replace two tires and balance all tires, that they had borrowed a new 2008 identical car model to mine to test drive and found the same vibration when the speeds reached 58-64mph.
    The Honda Service Manager from Michigan, he was accompanied by the local Service Manager , myself and the mechanic took a test drive and he also experienced the vibration. While test driving . While he noticed the vibration at speeds of 58 mph. I called to their attention about the humming noise and they did not acknowledge nor deny it. They told me that they would arrange for another new car, same model for test driving and asked me to bring the car back the following week.
    I took the car back the following week, they had a new Honda with same model waiting . The Service Manger from Honda Motor in Michigan , local service manager and a mechanic accompany me for the highway road test. I told them I felt the vibration as well as the humming notice with this new car. do not see any difference with my own car.The Service Manager from Honda Motor said this was normal performance of Honda 2008 model therefor they are nothing they can do for me.
    I called Honda Motor Customer Service and complained about the vibration and humming noise . She said her record indicated this was a normal designed performance of their new Honda Motor. Therefore they are not obligated to do anything about this complain. I asked her why Honda Motor failed to disclose to us when we purchase the 2008 Honda Accord that this car model will vibration at 58 to 62 + MPH? She just said this is a normal performance of the Honda Accord 2008 model,
  • He/she is not shooting straight. This is well documented issue w/ many customers that honda has been and continues to address. not cool at all, they need to be honest with you.
  • soo dissapointing
  • jhinscjhinsc Posts: 399
    ......on the highway from 55 miles per hour to 62 miles we felt vibration in the steering wheel and some vibration in the accelerator pedal.....

Okay, I have to ask, just how BAD is it? Does it feel like the wheels are going to fly off the car? Is the steering wheel shaking your hands, or is it just something you can feel? I can tell when my car is in 3 cyl mode, and I have to be honest, I love it! It's a harmonic hum and it puts a smile on my face knowing I'm running on 3 cyl vs 6. I even try to coax the gas pedal to try to get it in, and keep it in 3 cyl mode. At higher speeds, generally 65+, it will run in 4 cyl mode. For perspective, I also have a Chevy Avalanche with cyl deactivation, and I can also tell when it's in 4 cyl vs 8 mode. It's just the nature of the engine - when you have less than all cyl's working, it's unbalanced, and I think Honda has done an excellent job in minimizing the effects. Now, if you're experiencing shaking and vibration where it feels like the wheels are going to fall off, then I think you have another problem altogether. If it's something you can just feel and you don't like it, I'm afraid Honda Motor Co won't be able to make you happy under any circumstances.
  • its a systemic problem in the VCM design.... if yours doesnt shimmy to the degree most do, (I have tested about 11 differant V6 sedans 2008 and 09's then you are lucky. the point of the ANC and Active Motor Mts is to provide a "completely seamless" ride and eliminate any by product of an
    "unbalanced" motor operation....
    That really bothers me. I know there is always going to be some variance between different cars of the same model, but the VCM engines seems to be all over the map. To me, that indicates not only a design issue, but quality control issues as well.

I wonder what percentage of the VCM's have the problem.
    ....the point of the ANC and Active Motor Mts is to provide a "completely seamless" ride and eliminate any by product of an
    "unbalanced" motor operation....

I'm not invalidating anyone's experiences, but to say it's a systemic problem I think is a stretch. The fact Honda has changed their advertising from "completely seamless" to "nearly seamless" was a response to those who are sensitive to the changes going on with VCM. Honda admitted their mistake in advertising by changing the description of operation to a more accurate statement.
  • According to their website as of 9/22/08, VCM supposed to be seamless. They actually say the word "seamless" twice. I like the part when they say "completely un-noticeable to the driver".

Not sure where you are seeing the advertising change.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/features.aspx?feature=vcm
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,537
    >The transition between the three operating modes is nearly seamless and goes unnoticed by the Accord’s passengers

This is what the page to which you linked says. Note what it doesn't say here. It doesn't say "driver" anywhere. It says the "transition" will be unnoticed. It does not say running in any one of the modes will be unnoticed. And it says this will be unnoticed by the _passenger_, not the driver. I like the slick way they have written the advertising to make people think it says one thing while it says another, and says less.

You may have another page where they mentioned driver.
  • Either way, Honda and the dealerships are denying there's any problem. The dealership I brought my car to twice said they couldn't even re-produce it which I know is a complete lie. I had 6 people drive the car and I told them nothing. The came back and said two things.

1. The car is very jerky in general. Mostly when coming to a stop.

2. The car surges/de-surges on the highway like it's trying to shift.

I have my 2008 Honda EX-L in the shop for the 3rd time for these issues. After this, I'm most likely looking at the lemon law. :lemon:
  • snagssnags Posts: 27
    The irony of all this is that mthere isnt a significant savings in gas after all is said and done with VCM.
  • Considering what it would be WITHOUT it, I beg to differ. The non-VCM manual transmission Accord V6 is rated 17/25, much lower than the 19/29 of the VCM-equipped vehicle.
  • I'm getting ~22mpg with about 1300 miles which is obviously on the low end. I drive 60% city and 40% highway. The highway % would be higher but it's mostly sitting in traffic on the highway so I equate that with city.

Either way, i would like to see Honda offer a switch to turn the VCM on/off. I personally would shut it off due to the surge/de-surge issue. Just like turning off the VSA.
  • If you're getting 22 MPG with a lot of "sitting" I'd say that's pretty good, actually.

May I ask what you drove previously, and what mileage it got? :)
  • Sure, I drove a 2006 G35 Sedan. I got roughly the same gas mileage. It was a stick though so that might be part of getting roughly the same MPG in a car that has almost 300hp.
  • Plus, the G35 weighed closer to 3300 lbs vs. the Accord's roughly 3600 lbs. Extra mass to get moving in stop and go traffic will hurt it more than it will on the highway (takes more effort to start weight moving than it does to keep it moving, so extra weight hurts more in stop and go).

I imagine your highway mileage in the Honda would be noticeably better than the Infiniti.
  • No, Honda changed their advertising to reduce complaints or maybe even lawsuits (IMO)
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    No, Honda changed their advertising to reduce complaints or maybe even lawsuits (IMO)

So, if you bought your Accord before Honda changed the wording, you should be able to sue (false advertising). What are you waiting for?
    I understand what it's like to have a lemon - I turned in a car I had in the mid-90's back to the manufacturer. They handled it with no questions asked after they reviewed the numerous repair orders, parts replaced, and actually confirmed all the problems I was having with the dealer I was working with. You need to make sure everything is documented and verified by the dealer. If the dealer will confirm the problems you're having, meaning it's not operating safely or as it was designed to, and then escalate it up the ranks, you shouldn't have a problem turning it in. Good luck to you.
    I had 6 people drive the car and I told them nothing. The came back and said two things.

1. The car is very jerky in general. Mostly when coming to a stop.

2. The car surges/de-surges on the highway like it's trying to shift.

Based on what you state, you should have no problem in duplicating the problem with the dealer service dept. Do you accompany them on a drive so you can demonstrate what the problems are?
  • To be fair to elroy, I was thinking the same thing when I read it.

It can't be THAT bad (the advertising) or people would've already sued over it and won, right?

DISCLAIMER - I'm not discrediting, nor do I intend to discredit your accounts of VCM troubles.
  • you dont know what people are doing....
  • I did go with them. They said this is "normal operation" of the VCM and that all the V6's do that. They said I just need to get used to it because this is my first VCM car. Bahhhh. Whatever is right.

I understand the dealership needs to give the company line (There's nothing wrong with your vehicle) and it also may be true that not all V6's act this way. However, since I'm in a 36 month lease, I'm not going to be very satisfied with the car and probably be very bitter towards Honda for not doing anything to help me.
  • Put it this way, it's bad enough for me that when I drive the car, that I think about it constantly. My wife says she could live with it but she's not driving the car to work day in and day out.

I consider myself an enthusiast as most people on this forum probably do -otherwise why would you be on a car forum ;) So you most likely expect more and are more critical than the average driver whose probably just cares how to get from point A to point B.

The dealership I bought the car from said he's had 12 or so people complain about the VCM once. They never complained again according to him. So, you might be right, that it's more of an annoyance than a critical issue for 99% of the people who drive them. However, what about the 1% who it drives up the wall? :mad:
  • NO REAL QUESTION IS WOULD YOU PURCHASE THE HONDA ACCORD V6 IF THE DEALER DISCLOSE TO YOU WHEN YOU PURCHASE THE CAR THAT THE HONDA ACCORD V6 WILL VIBRATE WHEN YOU DROVE AT 58 TO 62 MILES PER HOUR?
    OF COURSE NO ONE IN THE RIGHT MIND WOULD PURCHASE A NEW CAR WILL VIBRATE.
    WE HAVE DRIVEN HONDA CAR FOR PAST 25 YEARS WE NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM. THIS IS REALLY A DISAPPOINTMENT; ESPECIALLY THE HONDA PEOPLE TRIED THEIR BEST TO LIE TO US.
    THIS IS NOT A HINDA MOTOR CAR WHO MANAGED BY THE OLD MR. HIONDA AND FAMILY , NOW IT IS THE SAME AMERICAN SALESMEN MANAGES THIS CORPROATION
    Please - caps off.

If Kegobass statement about VCM being okay for 99% while 1% being annoyed by it, then Honda did their job. No company can please 100% of people 100% of the time. From Honda's perspective, if VCM is operating normally, what can they do to make the 1% happy? Certainly not give them their money back for buyer's remorse - which is what it appears to them. Can I feel the VCM working? Yes. Does it vibrate, shudder, jerk and shake like the few posters here state it does? NO. Believe me, I'm not trying to belittle all your experiences, but based on the some of the descriptions of VCM operation detailed in this forum, you would think the car is flying apart. Broken motor mounts, wheel/tires out of balance or out of round or some other mechanical problem could be the cause, but these are easily found and corrected. I hope you all find resolution for your troubles, but you may have to face the music and decide that the Accord is not for you, nothing more or less.