Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• yrmacyrmac Posts: 134
    Not only that but their top of the line Accords have mirrors with integrated indicators and also HIDs.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Posts: 374
    We can only wish. :)
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I think the Accord (Inspire) is considered a Luxury car in some countries. Much like Acura is here. I have no need for paddle shifters myself. If I wanted to do the shifting myself, I'd get a manual. I can easily get my automatic to downshift one, or two gears with the accelerator pedal. If I really wanted to shift myself, I can do it with the shift lever. The same way I did in my 72 Chevelle. I guess some people like gadgets a lot more than I do. :confuse:
    However, if you have the VCM, no need to get your accelerator to downshift one or two gears. Once activated, the VCM will shift your tranny from 5th to 2nd ;) .
    :confuse:

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that! Now the grade logic transmission when you are on cruise WILL downshift if necessary to maintain a steady speed.

As for the paddle shifters - those among us with spouses who do not drive manual would love to have that option of a manual override of the auto tranny like BMW, Subaru or many others :) offer.
  • gregy21agregy21a Posts: 1
    I have the Australian Accord (made in Thailand) with paddles, vcm, v6, mirror indicators, etc.

I dont need the paddles but they're there and I might use them sometime as a novelty..

As for VCM, i dont even notice it except fot the eco light which I sometimes try to keep on by careful driving.
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    What does grade logic transmission system mean.
    From Honda's Website:
    "The Accord automatic transmission features Honda's Grade Logic Control system. This system differs from other computer-controlled shift programming because it can detect vehicle driving situations and then set appropriate shift points for the car. This feature avoids gear hunting on climbs and descents, and downshifts when appropriate for added engine braking." The surprise comes when you are cruising on cruise control and begin to descend a hill - the car will downshift all by itself into a lower gear, perhaps even two lower gears depending on the steepness of the grade, to maintain the speed set on cruise - the severity of it can be startling the first time, and it will also do it when decelerating for a traffic light - again with much more pronouncement than I have expierenced with other ATs.
    How much (in AU$) are the sill plates (non-illuminated) for your Accord (4 door?)? I think they are dealer installed option if I am not mistaken
  • jam1000jam1000 Posts: 182
    Sunnfun -- did you ever get a response from Honda to your emails to the top executives? If so, what was the response?
  • jebinc1jebinc1 Posts: 198
    +1 I totally agree with your assessment of the situation.
  • sunnfunsunnfun Posts: 168
    Have not heard a word and I am extremely disappointed to this point. I thought at the very least they would have pushed it down and I would hear from my case mgr or the like. Nothing. Can't say I'm suprised, just extremely disappointed.

On a seperate note, I am now having a problem with one of the rear speakers vibrating when music plays so there will have to be another trip to the dealer. It can be easily reproduced so I am not worried about getting it fixed. It's just that I have to spend more time on this car. I have read about others with the same issue so someone missed the QA boat on these.
  • rbbrickrbbrick Posts: 37
    I have a 2008 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe, 2200 miles, at 1936 miles the engine light started flashing while driving at about 70 mph it continued to flash and the ECO light would not come on. After I left the freeway and stopped the engine ran very rough I suspect it was trapped in 3or4 cylinder mode, got home very concerned. Turned off the engine and restarted the engine light disappeared and everything was back to normal for a VCM system. Went directly to the dealer to get any codes NONE recorded!?? This happened a second time driving down the freeway had to pull off and restart the engine - cleared the issue. Took the vehicle to another dealer for a code check Nothing Recorded, dealer said best to bring in while the engine light is on! So do I drive only between the hours of 8am to 5pm so I can bring it in? What a farse! Anyone have these symptoms?? I live in San Jose CA area thanks in advance.
    Roger
    The more I read these posts the more fearful I become. My car having "cured" itself of the VCM surging and vibrations, I wonder - what next? Are these cars too complicated? Did they heit the streets too soon before all the bugs were worked out? Excessive road noise, higher fuel consumption, compasses that do not work, navi systems all messed up, check engine light coming on with the engine seemingly "stuck" in 3 or 4 cylinder operation but then never recording a hard code, seemingly incurable vibrations, oil leaks with less than 100 miles on the car - these are simply things that, in my experience with Hondas over many years, just simply do not happen.
    sunnfunn -

Before my car fixed itself, I had written to American Honda Customer Service and the president of American Honda, with copies to the New York State Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission outlining my problems, referencing others on this website with problems, and the quotes from American Honda's webpage about the VCM being seamless and unnoticeable, along with all the references to all the raod tests where it had been noticed as NOT seamless and unnoticeable. I got their attention - I have a phone call to return about the car. I will let you know what I am told sunnfun - and everyone else.
    See post #1 in 2008 Honda Accord Repair and Maintenance - someone else had the same problem diagnosed as the fuel pump. Hope that helps you.
    Here you go -

#2 of 285 2008 Accord Sedan V6 Engine Problem by burningedge Oct 25, 2007 (7:03 pm) Save | Reply
    I bought a new Accord on Fri. 10/19. When I was driving to work on Mon. 10/22 the car started sputtering and lurching. It had 50 something miles on it. When I turned the car off and restarted it, the engine check light came on and the ECO light would no longer come on, though the car was driveable at that point. Brought the car in and they are working on it.

Update: the problem has been diagnosed as a defective fuel pump. I have to wait a week for a new fuel pump.
    #11 of 285 Re: 2008 Accord Sedan V6 Engine Problem [burningedge] by burningedge Oct 27, 2007 (9:19 am) Save | Reply
    Replying to: burningedge (Oct 25, 2007 7:03 pm)

Oops. I meant defective OIL pump. Seems too much oil was being pumped into the engine causing valves to remain open when they shouldn't be.

Replies to this message:
    aviboy97 (Oct 29, 2007 12:09 pm)
    burningedge (Oct 31, 2007 9:44 pm)
    bug4 (Nov 01, 2007 8:29 am)
  • sunnfunsunnfun Posts: 168
    Thanks for the info.