Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,700
    I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe I'm not tuned into noticing this nor have any of my customers.

Only in this forums have I heard of this.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    In my '96, I aim for 4,000 miles. Today I had it done at 4,400.

In my '06, the MM usually takes me to around 8,000 (I have 60% life showing currently with 3,700 miles since the prev. change). I check the oil after about 5k miles in the '06, 3k in the '96. I don't check it religiously anymore since there's never been anything to notice other than a full reading.
  • I just purchased a 2010 EX-L V6 a month ago. At first I didn't notice the slight vibration from the VCM. Then I became aware of it and I was worried that it would start to bother me. I can say without hesitation that after a month, and over 1,000 miles, I have become accustomed to it and it's no longer a factor.

People like wayne who states that this would drive him insane are never happy about anything.

Personally, I'll take a little vibration here and there for the benefit of having a powerful V6 that also gets outstanding highway gas mileage.
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 227
    You missed that one big time. In fact, people like myself (wayne) are quite happy. Paying $30k for a car that felt like it was constantly shifting is not something that I would have cared for and it would not make me happy. Each time I made a payment it would have bothered me knowing I was paying for a car that had that issue. For that kind of money the VCM off/on should not be something one can feel at all. I can tell you that the 6 cyl camry xle doesnt experience this issue and I believe it runs better than the accord. I think the accord looks nicer, but for me the killer was the VCM off/on. Actually, I would go so far as to say that this is a car that was not ready for market. I think honda should have either perfected the VCM technology to the point of not being noticed or gone with a 6 speed transmission.
  • At first I didn't notice the slight vibration from the VCM. Then I became aware of it and I was worried that it would start to bother me. I can say without hesitation that after a month, and over 1,000 miles, I have become accustomed to it and it's no longer a factor.

Hmm. You noticed the vibration and just became accustomed to it. Is this something that you should have to be thinking about with a 25-30k car? Is this something you should even have to think about when you buy a new car of any price? So I'd have to ask you if you're perhaps interested in buying some refurbished computers? I got them government surplus....
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    He owns the car, and said the VCM doesn't bother him. Why is that a problem, for you? :confuse:
  • Not a problem for me at all. I am amazed that someone would buy a car for that kind of money and have to "get used to it". I sure wish I had customers like him!
  • For a handful of owners the slight shift like characteristic that ensues during VCM operation isn't tolerable.

Keep in mind however that Honda sells roughly 400,000 Accords every year- 100,000 to 175,000 of which are V6 models.

The handful of owners that find tremendous fault with Honda's VCM are certainly in a small minority considering Honda's volume of sales - which are likely less than 1% of total Accord customers.
    People spend $70k on a BMW, and it has that annoying sensation every time the transmission shifts gears. Amazing, that someone would put up with that. No car is perfect, at least I haven't found one yet. If you find the perfect car, let me know.
  • Haven't seen any blogs talking about "that annoying sensation every time the transmission shifts gears" on BMWs. However, when the transmission on the 2008 Accord down shifts, it can be very harsh at times.
  • For a handful of owners the slight shift like characteristic that ensues during VCM operation isn't tolerable.

Keep in mind however that Honda sells roughly 400,000 Accords every year- 100,000 to 175,000 of which are V6 models.

The handful of owners that find tremendous fault with Honda's VCM are certainly in a small minority considering Honda's volume of sales - which are likely less than 1% of total Accord customers.
  • When I said "accustomed", read "doesn't even register". Again, it's no more than an a/c compressor shudder, and it doesn't happen every time the "eco" light comes on.

Bottom line is that if this is all someone can argue about this car in terms of "quality," I guess Honda's doing a pretty good job. There are plenty of other things that go wrong with other makes that I would surely not trade for, based on this miniscule VCM issue.

I'm done, and wayne's still not a happy dude.
  • Haven't seen any statistics of "the handful of owners that find tremendous fault with Honda's VCM". Is this taken from Edmunds.com, combined with Consumer Reports blog site, LemonAuto.com, etc.? Or, is there another web site that provides such statistics? Anecdotal conjecture? That would be great if there's a good source for the statistics on auto problems.

My previous Accord was a 2003. The transmission was recalled but other than that we were lucky and did not have any problems despite the many other problems that I've read about.
  • I have a 08 v6 coupe, in my case they found a missing oil ring on one of my rear pistons. This is very sad QA - in fact there have been more of these at my dealer.
    I have a new short block with 20K miles on it and uses about a 1/2 qt in 4000 miles.
    I have posted all the information from day one on this issue. Happy now! :shades:
    Roger
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 227
    When I bought my honda new, I was told by a number of people that if you ever have any problems with it it will be a transmission. I had several put in mine. (I also had some seat belt recalls and things like that, but no big deal on that.) Honda lost a class action lawsuit that required them to fix transmissions from 1998-2002, but I was unaware the problem ran into 2003. My concern about honda's VCM is whether or not the VCM (be it the on/off or oil consumption or whatever) will turn out to be like the transmissions from 98-02 (and perhaps some others). I know one of the honda defense attorneys (aka employees/fans) will rebuff what I say, but that's fine. Honda makes a good car and keeps the resale value up by not overproducing and dumping on the rental car fleets. It's been a success for them. But like other manufactures, honda doesn't make a perfect car. They're machines and have problems. When I was car shopping I actually saw a (non-honda) salesman on the edmunds website and I read over his shoulder. The salesman do protect their interests!
    No, I'm not a salesman (of any brand). I am just an owner, of two Accords since 1991, who has been very impressed with his cars. I have driven many other brands, before and since, but they don't measure up imo. If that makes me a "fan", so be it.
  • Sorry but new to this forum. I just inherited a 2009 Honda Accord V6 with 19k miles. It is a great looking ride but when I picked up the car from my employer the steering wheel shook like crazy at 65-70 mph. I took the car to the local dealer and they balanced the tires and said it was fixed. Took the car and the same issue as before no improvement. Took the car back and they said the Mich. tires were causing the problem so they replaced them. This has fixed the steering wheel shake but the car from 50-70 mph has a constant chassis or driveline vibration.
    I had to drive the car back home 900 miles and had plenty of time to experience this low grade constant vibration. Once back home I took the car to the local dealer who test drove the car and stated that it is normal.
    Is this all related to the VCM activation and causing an imbalance/vibration being transmitted to the chassis? Please help very frustrated.
    I have been reading many forums on this issue and I can not believe that Honda is not coming clean with a TSB solution to resolve this. I am glad this is not my car and I will tell you that I will never buy a Honda with my own money if this issue is not resolved by Honda Corp.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Have you driven any other Accords? They tend to exhibit rougher rides and transmit more feel through the steering wheel when compared to your average Camry or Sonata.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's do without the name calling and personal attacks, please.
  • Having had four Accords over the last several years, I can say that they do tend to have more steering vibration than other cars. The VCM engine is not likely to cause a constant vibration. The vibration from the VCM engine occurs when cylinders are de-activated; it seems to be worse in some modes than others. Could be caused by the imbalance in power when the engine is in 3 cylinder mode but even than would not be constant.
  • I have driven both previous accords and camry. The issue for me is not the shift or surge of the VCM engaging it is the untolerable chassis vibration that I believe is occurring due to the unbalance of the engine during cylinder de-activation. The active engine mounts are not working as good as advertised and I would not expect a $30K car to be anything but completely stable. The car feels like it has constantly unbalanced tires. When the time comes to replace this sales car there is no way in the world that Honda will get our business if I have to put up with this for the next two years.
  • The vibration only occurs at speeds above 50 mph. Around town the car is perfectly smooth, and the vibration is not in the steering wheel. I feel it in the seat which leads me to believe that it is coming from the power/drive train. I have already had the car tires replaced and road/load balanced. Am I the only one who is having a constant vibration at speeds above 50? If there a fix I am all ears, please help. Thanks
  • I have not heard of anyone having a constant vibration above 50. You should take it back to the dealer and demand they look into the likelihood that this ludicrous VCM contraption is malfunctioning. :mad:

Perhaps they can turn the VCM off. However, your fuel economy will probably drop to 17 city, 25 highway, my guess. :D

I'm trying, Pat.
  • I agree, I have had my V6 Coupe for a month now and yeah it's "different" feeling but I understand the benefits of the technology and thusly it doesn't bother me at all. It has been out long enough to be tested. The loner I have the car the more "normal" it will feel. I LOVE the V6 Gas Mileage though...My HHR was a weak 4 cyl and I get the same avg MPH!!! Yeah I'll take the little shudder now and then........The benefits far outweigh the annoyances,

I have found cruise control keeps the ECO light on where as my control is less smooth. I try to drive with the ECO light on all the time. Its a challenge.
  • There is something about a lot of vehicles one needs to "get used to"

The hard ride of a BMW 335...hit your head on the ceiling running over a paper cup.
    The less than expected cushy ride of a $35k Maxima.......
    The lackluster acceleration of a 2.4 Chevy engine in a Malibu
    The jumpyness of a G37 Infiniti...
    The engine noise and constant AT shifting of a Honda Accord 4cyl
    The LACK of all engine sound in a Lexus!!

Its just a matter of what one desires and can "get used to" All vehicles have their personalities. I like a more visceral driving experience. I like "knowing" the engine is running. I like a softer ride with decent handling. The Altima Coupe had neither. The Infiniti had both but in the end simply wasn't worth $10K more...I test drove the Maxima and expected a far cushier ride and well ''"sport suspension" is the rule there.

The BMW was my brothers.....He sold it after 4 months, and bought a ES350 because of the ride (and fuel pump issues)

Yeah we all have to get used to that which is new and different. Some can some are OCD about their cars and will NEVER be truly satisfied.

Here is something else I noticed about my Accord...I can actually feel the transmission downshft into 1st at very low speeds YIKES??? :cry: :cry:
  • " I would not expect a $30K car to be anything but completely stable. "

Honda Accord is not a $30,000 car!!! Its a $20,000 car with $10,000 in "options" And I don't know anyone who paid even $30K for any Accord. If so......... their bad..
  • Ok, by now, I have driven probably three dozen different V-6 Accords and I ahve been along on many, many test drives.

NOT ONCE have I felt or experienced this "problem" and it has never been brought by a customer.

Apparently you and your customers "got used to it" :) :) :) :)

Some people should not buy new cars. Expectations for many will never match with reality.......Those people wonder why Honda Accord owners buy Extended Warranties..They expect Honda to be free of all defects.

We do (and they are far less expensive than a Chevy) because we live in the real world and know even one issue can cost more than the $655 I paid for my 0 deduct 80K 84 month Honda Care EW. At that price its hard NOT to buy one. At twice that price it's hard not to buy a Malibu EW even with the 100k PT warranty.

I expect there will be issues. but far less of the kind that just keep you going back and nickel diming one to the tune of $200-300 per visit to death.
    It's hard to "get used to" something we can't feel.
  • Unfortunately, there are many drivers who don't feel much while driving, including a flat tire. You've seen them along the highway when they finally pull over because the tire came off the rim.
    Yeah, right!