Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Stalling/Dying Problems

124»

Comments

• My 1993 Ranger (4.0L V6) was stalling when hard breaking (60 Km to 0 Kms) restart no probs. Replaced Throttle Position Sensor and Air Bypass Valve Sensor and cleaned Throttle body with no correction to problem ... today replaced Fuel Filter (cheap comparably to other replaced parts) seems to have corrected problem, will still hesitate but does not stall. Perhaps if same issues try Fuel Filter first.
  • My 94 ranger just went over 200,000. Now, I only drive it about 300 miles a month.

Had a problem a couple of weeks ago where it sputtered wouldn't accelerate or die. Mechanic replaced Ignition Module.

Ran great for about 7 miles and then it died, while I was driving.

Now, driving down the road at any speed the truck will just die out but it does not have any problem of starting up and driving on.

It happens every 5 to 20 miles, as I've tracked it for about 150 miles and it's happened 10 times.

Mechanic is at a loss. he did switch out the Ignition Module to make sure that wasn't the problem.

He's suggesting the most reasonable problem is probably the Crank Sensor. The issue is that it's not easy to get to. So having already spent $400, I'm looking at at least another $400 to try something that might or might not be the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • I know this is three years old but I'm having the EXACT problem, which is unique to ALL the other problems posted here.

"driving down the road at any speed the truck will just die out. restart with no problem and then continue for another 5 to 20 miles before it happens again"

I'm curious from rick2343 if the Crank Sensor fixed his problem.

Also curious what CAD NORTHSTAR is as that's what insanetang suggested.
  • I know this might sound strange, but my son's 94' had the same problem. We were getting a bunch of codes, most having to do with the EGR system, but once those were cleared, it was still having the same kind of problems you were having. We changed all the normal things, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter ,plugs but nothing seem to improve it. We found that it was the ignition module, but after installing a new one, it would die sort of like the problem you are having. After many hours( days ) of trial and error, I found that for some reason the ignition module did not like being mounted and bolted down in it's original position. It has to be grounded to work, so I just attached a ground wire using a nut and bolt in one of the mounting holes in the module and used cable ties to sort to position the module up and out of the way. For some reason this worked. The trucks been running great the last 6 months. The only thing I can figure is that one of the two cable assy. going to the ignition module has either a short or and open that is corrected by having the cables in a different position. Hope this info helps, cause I went through hell chasing this problem and nothing seemed to make sense. I'm pretty sure if you have a problem with the crank sensor that it would not start at all. Good Luck
  • bozo4fordbozo4ford Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    Well, let me tell you about my 1986 Ranger. I had similar problems, but I ended up cleaning the AIC, replacing in-line fuel Filter, fuel pressure regulator, new Fuel and computer relays, and a new TFI Control module. Plugs and wires, cap, and rotor, etc. Another problem was my Ignition Starter switch broke inside the steering column and that made a lot of difference to me...anyway.

I was the original owner of this truck...until someone clipped from my drivers side rear, threw into a Pit maneuver, and a 180 spin, just 'totaled' my truck about two weeks ago. I almost replaced my Pass side interior kick wall computer, but thankfully, did not before this happened, and saved 100.00. It was not the problem anyway.

Now for a 86' ranger, the wreck yard offered me $350.00, and Loss of vehicle close to $2400.00, so for a 26 year old 'wrecked" truck, I should count my blessings! Now the task of trying to find a replacement truck, and hopefully, not inheriting other people problems. Good luck to you. I know it seems daunting having to play the process of elimination game, but sadly, that's what you might have to do. reading codes helps the process.
  • Your over thinking this, do u have a vacuum gauge? Hook it up to egr and watch it, if you don't press the diagram in/up with your finger and see if it dies. Iac is a good guess but don't buy a new one just take yours off and clean it with carb cleaner. Does your truck have the egr that tuns through the throttle body....I would use carb cleaner and a toothbrush and clean the body plate. Last when it it dying spay some carb cleaner in a vacuum port at intake and other end blocked off and see if that helps, then u know its an air fuel problem. Also obd1 codes will disappear but if your quick u can catch them. Then write them down and disconnect batt for ten min to clear and see if they come back. Hope this helped
  • I hate when people don't come back on and say what fixes or doesn't fix a problem or ....

I'm still having problems with my 94 Ranger. It still dies but it could be 2 miles or 100 miles. Can't replicate the problem.

When it stalls, (as the truck is moving - it's a stick) I put in the clutch, put it in nuetral, turn it off, restart, put it in gear and let the clutch off. Takes about 10 seconds and I typically don't lose any speed.

It's been 6 months and I still don't feel like I have a handle on it enough to have my mechanic do anything. (I've only driving 1,800 miles in that time)

He wanted to replace the main sensor (?) would would have been $400+ I really don't think that's the issue.

I still believe it's connected to the Ignition Module some how and it could be the grounding.

It doesn't happen when it's idealing and can't be recreated by the mechanic.

I don't want to jinx it but I've driven for a week and it hasn't stalled. Maybe it's fixed (probably not)

Anyone with any more thoughts?
  • I am having the same issue. I'm driving a 95 tho. I was also told it might be the sensor. I am taking into a shop Monday to have it looked at. Thank goodness I know the dude, so if he can fix it, he allows me to make payments. So, I'll let you know if the sensor thing worked, or whatever worked if he can fix it.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    The fuel pump relay might be causing this problem. The relay can be bad, and sometimes the relay connectors needs to be cleaned up where it plugs into the fuse box. Many times there are a couple of relays in there that are the same and you could just switch the relays. But clean up the connectors in any case. The relay are in the fuse box under the hood.

There is also a fuel cutoff switch. This switch cuts off the fuel pump if the truck rolls over. This switch is under the carpet, just to the right of the 'tunnel', at the top of the carpet, in the passenger footwell. There is a button on the top to reset it. It probably does not need to be reset, because if it was tripped the truck would not start. But the connectors on this switch might also be loose. Check it.

And, the fuel pump might be weak, and not putting out enough pressure to really power the injectors. Or the fuel filter might be somewhat clogged and needs to be replaced. It is on the frame, under the drivers door. If you pull the lines on this thing, fuel will leak out. Use a pencil to push into the fuel line to block it off. Do not work on fuel stuff inside a garage, gasoline loves to explode.
  • Worked on my son's 94 ranger that had the same problem. It took me forever to find the problem. Knew it was something to do with the ignition module, but all the modules we tried tested good out of the truck. What finally fixed the problem was not mounting the ignition module in it's original location. I used cable ties to mount it in a different location and ran a ground wire from the module to a good ground. The only thing I can figure is that somewhere in cables there is an open and by the cables being routed different, the open closed and the problem went away. It's been over a year now and it only stalled once, I just had to re-adjust ( tighten) the cable ties, still running good.
  • I'm interested if your friend was able to fix the problem.

I'm still having the issue but living with it. I only drive my truck about 300 miles a month.

It died once in 4 months and I was overly optimistic that things had settled down. I'm back to once about every 10 to 20 miles.
  • We are having the same problem with our Ranger. Just replaced fuel pump, several sensors, spark plugs, wires, checked for vacuum leaks. Drove it a couple hundred miles last weekend, no problem. Drove it about a hundred miles on Monday, no problem. Drove it five miles today and it died on the highway. Starts good, runs good then starts sputtering and then dies. Sometimes it will start right away after it dies other times I have to wait.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can't afford a big mechanic bill right now. :sick:
  • I have an 86 ranger 4 cylinder fuel injected and was having stalling problems OK I replaced about everything related to the fuel system ( relays switches injectors filters everything ) it would jerk and die on me , I was about to junk it when I saw a kind of round thing bolted to frame by gas tank the fuel lines went through it so I took it off and sure enough it comes apart and there was a metal filter inside so I took it out then got it back together and sure enough that was the problem . The thing is not in the Chilton . 237,000 miles on my truck and now except for some minor things it runs great
  • How often was it dying? When it died, did it start right away?

My Ranger is a stick and I can restart it immediately.

This has been doing this since last October. I only drive it about 250 - 300 miiles a month in the City.

It can die 3 times in 10 miles or go 300 miles and only die once.

I keep a very close eye on my mpg and it was always at 20 1/2 to 21 mpg, until this started. I'm now at about 18 1/2. So, I think something is happening other than dying every once and awhile.

202k miles and does great except for this.

I'm not getting rid of this truck and I'm not spending big bucks unless I'm sure I have a fix.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx
  • did you ever get to the bottom of this??

my 93 ranger has been driving me nuts for nearly 6 months... you name it, its new.. every sensor but TPS which i have but not installed yet..

chased a bad/intermittant ICM for 4 months finally after having the CPS replaced by my local ford dealer was told to replace the ICM even though it tested good, sure enough truck has been running fine for last 2 weeks..

then all of the sudden yesterday it didnt want to start again. had to crank it a number of times and it finally started and was able to drive it home the 14 miles home and right around the corner from my house it quit, coasted to the shoulder waited a minute and it started back up and i made it home..

went back out last night and didnt want to start again, finally it started drove where i had to go shut it off and it started back up and ran fine once again..
    has new fuel pump and all relays/fuses in power box were replaced back in february, coil packs, complete tune up

not sure what to do now, inertia switch???? fuel pressure regulator???? ignition switch???

quite frankly im tired of throwing money in to it but i have a bear by the tail so to speak..
  • This is what I did. I extended the wires going to the ICM and mounted the ICM on the driver's side on the fender wall near the fuse/relay box. I put screws and nuts in the mounting holes and ran wires from them to a good ground.
    I did this for two reasons, the original location is hard to get to and also the ICM stays a lot cooler mounted away from the engine. I am thinking that heat was causing the ICM to intermittently fail. Since I did that, I put on 30,000 miles without a problem. I recently sold my Ranger because of a recent injury made it hard for me to drive a standard. I still see it running around town so I assume it is still running good.
  • I have a 86 ford ranger and while i was driving down 95 it just completely shut off on me as is the gas ran out but it had a half of a tank in it. What could be wrong with it? It wont start at all now :(
  • This sounds different from what I was fighting.

I would guess fuel filter or one of the sensors.

I don't know if there is some sort of cut off valve. In my old T-Bird, had a cut off valve in the back.

Sorry i couldn't be more help.

On my problem: at one year it's still doing the same thing. Need to have someone try the grounding thing. Not much else makes sense.
  • my 91 ranger has a fuel cut-off switch located at the top of passenger side footwell. pull the carpeting back and there it is. supposed to activate when/if i hit a BIG bump or t-bone something. dunno if your '86 has the same thing but easy enough to check and give it a try.
  • bypassed my inertia switch, still doing it.. last week i also unplugged the new IAC valve and truck ran perfect, thought that was it replaced the IAC and the same problem is back again..

beating my head against the wall, wife wants new car and i want to use this for a trade in BUT i cant do that to someone... i want it running right before i trade it in....

still would like to know if kopfhunter got to the bottom of his problem as his sounds exactly like mine
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Fuel pump relay. Corrision on the plugs on it?
  • already cleaned/replaced.... swapped out the MAF again yesterday with one from pick a part.. so far so good, have to run it more.. from what i have found during my research possibly the new one i bought is no good as bad MAF can cause the symptoms i and others are having having..
  • Nope. Sorry.

It runs and runs and runs. Then I have the problem 5 times in two days.

Going to have my mechanic put it on the computer but we're not optimistic that it will show anything.

Hey, it's only been a year.

If I didn't love this old truck...

Kopfhunter
  • noticed on mine today that it does it on a heavy bump like pot hole or something like that, does it nearly every time on the same left hand turn and bumps in a small town not far from me..

also noticed that if i try to start it it wont restart UNLESS i turn ignition all the way off and then back to start.. only then will it restart..
    starting to think it may be the ignition switch if that is possible
  • cellmasscellmass Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Im not sure if yiu guys are still having issues. But my 95 dodge ram 1500 had the same problem I went through all the sensors fuel pressure was ffinenew coil and coil wire. It turned out to be the wireharness cinnector ti the coil. I rewired it a few times and taped it up but still jogged loose. Well I went to a scrap yard pulled the connector off and rewired it to mine. Runs fine now. Also check your commection to the computer I replaced my compute and she ran fine no stalling that used to happen when I hit a bump or even closed the truck door.
  • cyrexcyrex Posts: 1

I have a 2002 ford ranger edge 3.0. Sometimes when i start it the hazards come on and stay on and the truck will stall out and die. And when i push the hazards on just to see what happens it makes a weird noise. Can anyone help me or have any ideas?

124»