Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee interior door panels

The plastic around my interior drivers side door handle cracked and shattered in multiple places causing the door handle to be held on just by the cable it is attached to. I didn't realize that it had broken until I went to open the door and was cut by a piece of the broken plastic. This happened 2 weeks after the 3 year basic warranty was up. The dealership refused to work with me and told me that the entire door panel would have to be replaced at a cost of $645 not including labor to install it. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same or a similar problem with the plastic breaking.

Comments

• jhuckjhuck Posts: 17
    As far as I am concerned - all the plastic in the Jeep is crap! We had the same problem with the back door. The pegs (new) to hold it on are $20 from the dealership and watch junk yards for the panel. The center console is the other thing; It's all plastic and will start becoming loose and cracking. Then on bumpy roads it will add its own beat to the music. You can tighten that screw only so often!
  • I had the same thing happen to me this morning! It actually cracked a little a couple of weeks ago when I was opening the door. It was a slight crack in the plastic and I've been very careful with it since that time so as not to crack it further. This morning when opening the door, the plastic broke and fell into the door. I was left holding the handle attached only to the cable. Later this morning, I had a hard time getting the door to open at all. I thought I was going to have to crawl over the console and exit through the passenger side door. I finally got it to open. I'm hoping the extended warranty will cover it, but I have a feeling I will be climbing out of the other side of the truck a few times before I can get it to the shop to find out.
  • I went to the dealership and they said there was nothing they could do due to the fact that it was out of warranty so I called chrysler direct and spoke to 3 diffrent people and the last person said they were going to pass my case on to a person for further review. One week went by and the dealership called me and said that they would fix the door at no cost but the panel was on back order due to a rash of the same problem but they stated this is the first time they had seen the problem. So my advice would be to call chrysler direct and expalin the problem and see if they will fix it at no cost seeing as how this is becoming a common problem.
  • We had the EXACT same problem. What made this a harder situation to resolve is that I bought the Jeep new in Florida before moving to Texas so I didn't have the history with the Jeep dealer here. Because the vehicle is my wife's, I didn't see the problem for quite awhile (she apparently didn't notice it). When I saw it, I immediately called the dealer in town -- they told me that there were no recalls noted and that the Jeep was no longer under warranty. I didn't pursue it any further thinking that we may have just gotten one of the bad ones in the batch. After reading this post, I see that it was a problem that was more widespread and that apparently Chrysler knew about it. By any chance do you have the contact at Chrysler that helped you resolve your problem? Thanks for whatever support you can offer.
  • lynn60lynn60 Posts: 10
    i have a 2005 grand cherokee all but drivers door are broken i have no kids at home and gran kids in car seats i am the main person that is driving this car and when friends try to open door they broke !!!!!!!!! I can not believe i paid as much for this car and it has plastic door handles!!!!!!!!!!! had i known i would not have bought it !!!!!!!!!!!!they will not fix my door handles and I do not ve 700.00 per door to fix them!!!!that is what they told me it wil cost per handle ........i now have a bigger problem if you are in my back seat you can not get out!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a safety hassard now for my grandkids!!!!!!!!if a fire or wreck we need out they can not get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!the chrysler Reps. need to fix the problem or they will be a big law suit if something happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!who has $700.00 per door to fix a plastic door handle that they made so cheap knowing it would not hold up!!!!!!!!!!!!but we pay so much for a good car?????????????????
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Oh, I know how you feel! The (plastic!) door handle broke off of my son's car. It's not going to cost anything near $700 to repair so I am wondering where your dealer is coming from. You may want to try another dealer or private mechanic.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I am from corpus christi texas and they have told me at three dealer's it will be between $600.00 and 700.00 per door also because the plastic handle is connected to the entire panel of each door which also has to be replaced. I have talked to them all and they said the rep. could make the call if chrysler will pay or not the rep. in my area said no. now what i can not afford to fix them so i am going to turn them in to the safety board of Texas because no one can get out of the back seat!!!!!!!
    My husband is a mechanic and he could not get the parts and do labor on each door ( 3) .for much less either it should be recalled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!poor product-plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, replacing the panel will be a lot more expensive. :(

I am as dismayed as you are about the handles being plastic and so easily breakable. What were they thinking? :confuse:

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    i can not pay to have them fixed and in south texas it cost $700.00 per door!!!!the repersentive for our south texas said sorry to bad!!!!!!!!!!!!i now think i should go to the safety board of texas . No one can get out of the back doors of my car!!!!!!!!!!!this is not safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!there should some help through Chrysler they made it out of plastic and it did not workout................................
  • wobywoby Posts: 9
    Does anybody knows if there is any chance to change only the handle itself with the small shell on the back of it.
    I've 3 out of 4 broken handles in my GC 5.7 2005.
    The right rear handle is completely hanging out, while the 2 front are both badly cracked.
    I saw that could be easily exchanged if there was the spare part.
    I don't understand why none didn't start to produce them only, since a lot of people has this kind of problem.
    It will be anyway much cheaper then 6 or 700USD
  • Unfortunately, no. You have to replace the entire door panel. I was quoted $675.00 plus labor (per door) at my dealership. My extended warranty will not cover it because it's "trim". All 4 of my doors have broken. The driver's side front door handle is only attached to the cable. If you don't pull it just right, the door will not open. I agree that it is dangerous!
    I was at the dealer place and I saw the panel inside.
    I know that they don't sell it separately.
    The handle shell is plastic melted in the rest of the panel ad I think shouldn't be so difficult to rebuild it aftermarket.
    That is what I'm looking for.
    I'm not really happy to spend 2000USD for handles
    Any NEWS????????
    Apparently not. Have you found out anything? Chrysler seems to be occupied with other issues at the moment.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    i am from cc Tx. i still have the problem with my handels all broken and can not afford to pay what they want to fix them however i am tired of Chrysler's bull St. i am trying to get in touch with the state of Texas Safety Board because no one in my jeep can get out of the car until i get out and open the door from the out side...in a wreck i canot do this i have grand kids that ride in the back seat this is very scary and not safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!what about fire???????????i am ready to get an attry. lawyer, this is a safety concern Chrysler should pay attention are they will have many more problems if something happens to my kids or any one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jsaleebyjsaleeby Posts: 1
    I now have the same issue with a 2005 Grand Cherokee. Both rear interior door handle casings and the driver handle casing have essentially disintegrated, and rear doors are completely inoperable. I came across your posting while doing a search to determine how widespread the problem is. Would you mind letting me know if you have a solution?

Thanks,

J Saleeby
    SC
    So finally I found a craftsman who was able to rebuild both rear handle shells by fiberglass.
    He made a wonderfull job and they look perfect, actually much stronger that any other piece of the car.
    He collected all pieces and he made the female of the stamp, after that he made the piece, Left and then in the same way for the right part.
    At the moment I did the 2 rear and as soon as possible I wil make the 2 front.

I had all 4 handles broken and they were asking me around 2000Euros to replace the 4 full panels.
    At the moment I spent 300 Euros because he had to make the master of the stamp but next time he will ask me only 150 Euros for the 2 in the front.
    With a total of 450Euros I will repace all of them.
    Much cheaper then 2000.
    I'm writing from italy and I'm a bit far for you but my imported car is coming directly from US with this trouble.

If you can reach anybody able to work with FIBERGLASS , as speed boats maintenence or something like maybe you will be able to solve your problem in a cheaper way then changing all panels.

If you are interested I can ask to this guy to build some more and send them over to you!!!!!

I'm very very happy.
    It was a matter that was driving me crazy.
    A new Grand Cherokee in Italy cost around 55000Euros .
    Mine I paid last year 28000 and for a car like this
    It's unacceptable that Chrysler doesn't bother at all.
    We have the same problem with FIAT but prices are complitely different.
    Now I understand why they met each other!!!!!!

Regards ti everybody
  • Hi Woby,

Do you mind giving me the contact info for your supplier? I am looking for the passanger side, front door interior handle for a Grand Cherokee 2005.

Is he in Europe or USA?

Regards,

jomarie
    Do you mind giving me the contact info ...

Contact information in the Forums should be limited strictly to the name of a company. Further contact information (addresses, names, phone, etc.) should be exchanged via email.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper