Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee interior door panels

124»

Comments

• eddie88eddie88 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 2011 JGC. Has anyone been able to determine what is causing this?
  • yacahumayacahuma Posts: 8
    A couple of weeks ago. Chrusler replaced all 4 door panels at no cost. Just labor(less than 200). The only explanation. A miracle.
  • The back door of my Jeep Grand Cherokee wont open. Has anybody had this problem or know how to fix it?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    what year there is a small plate in the door trim bout in the middle that you pry off and can get at the lock there
  • I apologize, that in a prior post I made a mistake on 1 digit of the Chrysler phone number. The Toll Free Number for Chrysler is listed at http://www.chrysler.com/en/service_contracts/contact_information/?section=contac- t_information I called the one for Warranty to file a complaint...

Follow these 10 simple steps, & Chrysler WILL reimburse you for defective door panels:

You MUST take that stance that THIS IS A VEHICLE SAFETY issue, due to a supplier's defective plastic resin mix, not a warranty issue. In case of a crash or fire, a passenger or driver might not be able to get out of the vehicle and die from this defect. You don't want to get sued, and you don't want to have to go through the trouble of suing Chrysler for this; you just want to get it fixed!!!

Chrysler recovers the cost of this repair from their supplier via their Supplier Recovery Process, which is in every automotive supplier's contract. You or Chrysler don't pay for this; the supplier pays.

STEP # 1 - COMPLAIN TO National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    File an online complaint at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
    List it under "LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES" for your 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee...
    65 complaints are currently under: LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES
    29 are under: STRUCTURE:BODY:DOOR
    10 complaints are under: LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:DOORS:LATCH

STEP # 2 - ARM YOURSELF WITH DATA
    Print out all 104+ complaints under these 3 categories so you have this as ammunition. You did not cause this situation.

STEP # 3 - GET A CHRYSLER COMPLAINT REFERENCE # (CASE #)
    Call the Toll Free Number for Chrysler (listed at http://www.chrysler.com/en/service_contracts/contact_information/?section=contac- t_information - I used the one for Warranty) and start a complaint case number (reference number). BE NICE and POLITE. Don't make a big ruckus a the start. State your case that you have defective plastic that is breaking, cracking, falling off, on all 4 of your door handle assemblies in your door panels. You've heard from other Jeep owners that Chrysler knows about their supplier's defective plastic that was used in the door panels.

STEP # 4 - GET A CASE MANAGER
    Stick to your position. Your goal in your first 2 or 3 phone conversations is to get escalated to a Case Manager.

STEP # 5 - GET AN EVALUATION AND PICTURES
    Tell your Case Manager that you'd like to email or send in some digital pictures to him/her to show the cracks and holes in your door panels where your door handles are connected. Your CM should tell you to go to a local Chrysler/Jeep dealer service center to have them (an independant 3rd party) "do an evaluation" and take pictures that they will send to the CM. Call and make a dealership service appointment. BE NICE & POLITE at the dealership, and give them your case number. They should testify that you did not break the door handles, and they look defective because of cracks but not impact dents, etc, and you were a nice loyal Jeep customer. You should have his direct extension by now, so notify your CM that the dealership saw the defective parts and took pictures.

STEP # 6 - NEGOTIATE
    The CM will receive the pictures and server manager's comments about you, and the defects on your Jeep. Expect further escalation; the CM will talk with you and his manager for approvals for an offer to help you out. The first offer may be for 50% to 60% of the repair. If at least a 90% reimbursement of about $2,400 is not offerred, now is when you begin to up the stakes.

STEP # 7 - RAISE THE STAKES
    Your position is: A) THIS IS A VEHICLE SAFETY issue, due to a supplier's defective plastic resin mix, not a warranty issue. B) In case of a crash or fire, a passenger or driver might not be able to get out of the vehicle and die from this defect. C) If something like this happens, you don't want to get sued, and you don't want to have to go through the trouble of suing Chrysler for this; you just want to get it fixed!!! D) Chrysler recovers the cost of this repair from their supplier via their Supplier Recovery Process, which is in every automotive supplier's contract. You or Chrysler don't pay for this; the supplier pays. You should get several offers for Chrysler to reimburse you (pay you back) for a portion of the replacement/repair.

STEP # 8 - AS A LAST RESORT THREATEN LEGAL ACTIONS
    State your position again (above). E) Your concern is for the safety of people and possibility of deaths due to a vehicle defect. F) Offer to FAX in your list of 104+ complaints listed with the NHTSA, which are identical to your complaint. G) If you are sued, this case is a record of your similar complaint and the liability lies with Chrysler. You would like to avoid this. H) Tell the CM that you will be contacting your attorney (lawyer) and sending a copy of your complaint, this Chrysler case #, and a copy of the list of 104+ similar complaints. I) Your CM will have to discuss this with his Director for further approvals, so expect a few more days of phone tag.

STEP # 9 - FINALIZE THE OFFERS
    You should only have to pay a max of $125, maybe zero ($0) to have this $2,400 replacement/repair done. This depends on how POLITE you have been, how diligent you are, how much PATIENCE you have, etc.

STEP # 10 - REPAIR AND FILE
    Procedurally: Once your CM and his Director approves, he will give you specific instructions. You'll have to arrange the repair service and pay the dealership yourself. Then, per your CM's instructions, submit the case #, with a copy of the work order & receipts, to Chrysler and they will mail you a check back.

Enjoy your Jeep again! THE END!
    The Ghost Sailor
  • skg2skg2 Posts: 1
    Finally, after months of surfing the net, I am finding other posts from people having the same door panel problems I have experienced. My 2005 Grand Cherokee has all four door panels cracked and broken where the door handle is located. The back seat passengers can not open the doors from the inside of the car. This is Very Dangerous!! I have been to 3 Jeep Dealerships in Austin, Texas and get the same old "We have never had a compliant or seen this before. Sorry can't help you". That was just one dealership being "nice". The other two were awful to me. This is my last Chysler product.......... never again will I buy a car where I get such horrible service. I am going to file a complaint with Chysler. This is obviously a defect in the 2005 manufacting of the Grand Cherokee Jeeps. If more filed complaints then perhaps there will be a recall.
  • dredd17dredd17 Posts: 1
    Ok, so I get to step 3 and talk to Chrystler. The guy pretty much shut me down right out gate, stating the vehicle was not under warranty and there was no recall. I pled my case of the safety issue and the fact that it is well documented in the NHTSA website of the failure. I was told, that they would call me if any thing changed. I was given a case number, but I guess it doesnt mean anything since they are not going to call me back. So how do I put step 4 in to effect? I just call them and tell them that I want a case manager? I'm not sure what it is I need to say or do to get to that point.
  • Yeah ask for a case manager and state your case. Obviously you got blown off.
  • thrasher04thrasher04 Posts: 2
    There is a kit available that fixes the handle housing and not the entire panel. The kit repairs the broken and cracked door handles by replacing the defective plastic that caused the issue. There are 3 options to resolve this handle issue, in order from the most expensive option to the least:

The dealer
    The junkyard
    The handle kit

The only other temporary fix would be removing the panel and glueing the pieces of your handle back together. These are the options available to resolve this unfortunately very common problem.
  • sigourneysigourney Posts: 1
    There are currently 160 complaints logged with NHSTA. I have talked to several case managers and their supervisors at Jeep/Chrysler to no resolve. I have sent e-mails and made phone calls to news media, Attorney general office, and FTC. Who did you talk with that helped resolve your door handles and get reimbursed??? I have young children and cannot open our back doors to get them out in case of emergency. NHTSA says it could take a year to investigate. ??? Please help. Thanks.
  • thrasher04thrasher04 Posts: 2
    There is a kit that replaces the broken housing. This allows you to fix the issue without replacing the entire panel. This is a serious safety issue with someone having the possibility of being trapped. The year to investigate and the back orders will take too long and pose too much of a risk. The best solution is to fix it yourself and replace the defective piece. I am not allowed to post any links to solicit a product but there are options that can help you get this issue taken care of without all of the hassle.
  • alejaluv1alejaluv1 Posts: 1
    @ghostsailor and anyone else who is up for it....
    for the past 6 months i have been dealing with this issue. I have a 2006 JGC with only 30,000 miles on it. I have tried every thing, gone trough 3 CSReps Mike, Sharron and Dan in the corporate office. They lied to me saying that they have never heard of this issue, which is crazy because all you have to do is goggle jeep cracked door panels and you find a ton of info on it. Also, on you tube there is a user that mentions Sharron by name...Sharron and the other 2 CSR's have told me on numerous occations that they have never heard of this issue. The service managers at Larchmont & Eastchester (New York) also told me that this had never been seen. The last I heard from Jeep after returning to the dealerships on 3 different occasions to take pictures, is that they told me that they have determined it as vandalism and they are not willing to cover any replacements. Are they serious????? I have been calling lawyers all day to find someone who will guide me in the right direction. I've left a ton of messages so im sure I'll hear back in the morning or sometime this week. Why can't we all combine our efforts and see if someone will listen to all of us if not just one? I have also contacted 7 on your side (NYC) and they called me back. I sent them the information and hopefully they will bring a little light to what is going on. Also filed a complaint at NHTSA website and I hope that everyone with this issue will too.
    Please contact me if you're interested besos1129@yahoo.com thanks! :mad:
  • maj1614maj1614 Posts: 4
    I was a bit skeptical but for $50 a door what did I have to lose. I order the kit from DenLor tools and was amazed that in 30 minutes I had a working door. It is shameful Chrystler wanted to charge me $700 per door AND couldn't even tell me when they would be off back order. Love my Jeep but will never buy another Chrystler.
  • I saw several posts for people buying Denlors Tools (dot com) "Zach Thrasher Jeep Interior Door Handle Repair Kit" available in both grey and tan colors. $200 includes all 4 doors. There is an installation PDF file on the part pages, too.

But I have not heard successful installs yet, and I've heard concerns on the strength of the cotter pin key in the little plastic tab in the installatino instructions. Also, while this may be cheaper, if you do your own repair, Chrysler will totally be in the clear from any liability, if someone cannot get out of your Jeep after an accident, because of the door handle. So just passing that along as food for thought.

It took me several months to get mine resolved too, guys. EVERYONE file complaints at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) online at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

List it under "LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES" for your 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee...
    65 complaints are currently under: LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES
    29 are under: STRUCTURE:BODY:DOOR
    10 complaints are under: LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:DOORS:LATCH

Better yet, file one complaint with your VIN# using your work address, and file another separate one without a VIN# with your wife's name & home address. NHTSA does not see enough complaint numbers yet to warrant a full investigation.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,555
    edited May 2011
    We've had some problems with "promotional" posts about aftermarket door handles around the forum in violation of the Membership Agreement, and that's not the kind of marketing that most reputable companies undertake. So yeah, usual disclaimers.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• justbpasjustbpas Posts: 2
    What do you mean when you said: After I took 40+ complaints, etc.?
    Did you print it and send it? or you meant: After I LOOK?
    How did you bring it to the dealer?
  • justbpasjustbpas Posts: 2
    I am inclined to order the kit fron DenLor also. You"re right. For $200.00 there is not much you lose. If Chrysler does something, and when, we're better of with this kit. BUT, was it difficult to do it? Please let me know how you did it.
  • maj1614maj1614 Posts: 4
    My husband did it and he said it was not that difficult. It took him about 30-40 minutes per door. The only thing he did have to do was shave the piece a bit to fit easier. The first door took a bit longer just to figure it out, but once he did the first door, the rest went very easy. All the doors are still working great. The inside handle does it a tiny bit off, but they work. It was definately worth the money.
  • andybwellandybwell Posts: 4
    Printed them out and showed them to John Farr at Glendora Dodge. He was on the phone with Jeep and, finally they came through.
  • gatorfcgatorfc Posts: 10
    My mom's 2006 WK (purchased towards the end of 2005) has also experienced this cracked door panel problem on three of her doors. She brought her Jeep in today for routine maintenance and planned on mentioning the door problem as well, prepared for a fight after reading all the horror stories on this thread.

Surprisingly, after conferring with someone else (I'm guessing a manager), the service advisor told her that they would repair the doors for $50. I don't know if that's $50 per door or a $50 deductible as my mom had purchased the extended warranty on her jeep when she bought it. Either way, we'll take it with all the bs some of these dealerships are pulling charging $600-$700 per door. They told her that they have to order the parts and that the Jeep will be in the shop for 4 days, but we'll take whatever we can get.

Maybe Chrysler is starting to acknowledge this problem now? I was surprised at the complete non-drama my mom had in getting them to repair the doors. Fingers crossed it will stay that way through the parts coming in and installed. Will update once everything is fixed.
  • Well I'm just starting this process so I hope mine goes as easily. If not I am proposing to use Twitter to follow up as I have had good luck getting responses from companies this way. One negative tweet can multiple faster than rabbits.
124»