Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon Noises and Sounds

Comments

• flyperflyper Posts: 1
    My 06 Denali did the same thing. I became irritated and removed the speaker grate which seemed to do the trick. I think the speaker was rattling against the grate.
  • c650c650 Posts: 8
    When I turn the steering wheel on my 2003 Yukon LX, there is a griding noise, rough feel.  Centered up, no noise.  Noise seems to be from the front, and occurs with the Quadrasteer on or off.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 508
    Intermediate steering shaft recall?
  • rshtrsht Posts: 277
    Does the grinding noise appear when you turn the steering left or right or either way, and if the noise appears only when the steering is turned all-the-way to the end? Have you tried to apply the brakes just lightly without stopping the car (when you hear the grinding noise) to see if the grinding noise disappears? If yes, if may be just one of the brake pads rubbing against the rotor...
  • c650c650 Posts: 8
    The noise appears while turning to the left and right, just had the brakes completely redone. Applying the brakes has no effect.
  • I have a 97 Yukon that I love. It has developed a clunking noise when I come to a complete stop and then when I release the break to go. I had this same problem with a 96 Tahoe I had a few years back. I had the breaks done, diff. fluid changed and u joints changed and it solved that problem for about a year. Then I traded it in for a Ford....never again might I add. Well anyway...My Yukon is now doing the same thing. I had it looked at and the mech. told me to grease the slip yoke and it was dry. So I had that done and it solved the problem but for only a few weeks. Now it is starting to come back. He told me to buy this nickel plated slip yoke for over $200 but a different mech. told me that it wont solve the problem as his truck does the same thing and has for over 40k miles.
    I want the clunk gone and have heard many different things it could or couldnt be. Like the rear leaf springs could be clapping, a clip in the transfer case, the slip yoke needs to be replaced...etc...

Has anyone else had this problem and how did they solve/fix the problem.

Thank you.
    Can be reached at silver_wolf2253@yahoo.com
  • 02xldenali02xldenali Posts: 3
    Hi I have a 2002 gmc Yukon Denali XL and it makes a poping sound when I turn the wheel to the left when im parking.I was told it was the drive axles so I replaced them (Both left side)any other suggestions I would appreciate it.Thanks.
  • I have seen on a differnt board here that something around the same to the problem you speak of is a recall and something to do with the steering column(sp?) but I could be wrong.
    Have you talked to a GM service shop?
    Yea but it feels like the rims want to pop[ off when turning slow.Im so confused.
    :mad: :mad: Hi I also have this problem on my 2002 Denali Xl.It is horrible it feels like my left side of mu Denali wants to rip off my rims.Whats the problem for that I already changed the the whole left side drive shaft axle unit but not fied yet??Any help please.
  • bdlifbdlif Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Denali XL that has a squeek at the front but it's not the brakes. The squeek only comes from a full stop to about 30mph while accelerating. When it rains for a few days the squeek goes away untill it gets hot and dry. Can anyone tell me where to start looking.
    Bushing(s)... I would check the sway bar bushings and also joints/links. I have used WD-40 before (lubricant that can be washed off with water if necessary) to locate the cause. Good Luck!
  • bdlifbdlif Posts: 2
    Thanks it took me a while but I discovered it was the u joint needing oil. Unfortunately on the 04's you have to replace the u joint, on the newer models you can collapse the joint and apply oil but I apreciate the help.
  • mbeaudmbeaud Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 and the same thing happens. It feels like there is something loose in the steering column also. I know that when it was under warranty they replaced it and it worked for awhile. It only has 35,000 miles on it and it sounds and feels awful.
  • tnt68tnt68 Posts: 1
    silverwolf,
    Did you solve your clunking problem. I have a 2000 GMC Denali and it makes the same sound as you describe.
    tnt68
  • Today, out of nowhere my 2007 Yukon XL with 52kmiles started making a horrendous grinding rattling sound in the rear (I think it originates in right rear but can't be sure as it's very loud when standing on the left too).

It sounds like there are rocks inside a hubcap. Of course there are no hubcaps on this but that is what it sounds like.

Literally out of nowhere.

Any ideas?
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 508
    When driving or only when parked? Is it coming from the exhaust?
  • It happened when the vehicle was in motion. Very slow, just starting to move. Both in reverse and going forward.
  • Dealer checked it.
    Turns out it was a stone in the break caliper (right rear)
  • truemoxytruemoxy Posts: 2
    The sound you are hearing is coming from your climate control aspirator. It is normal and sounds like a little sneeze or digital camera. It is taking a sample of the cabin atmosphere for the Auto Climate Control.
  • cargeek5cargeek5 Posts: 2
    All the sounds you are hearing might be annoying but the sound the comes from my 2008 Yukon XL Denali exhaust is a very pleasing one especially for a full size SUV. It isn't a loud straight pipe but it isn't strained sound like a muzzle on a dog. It wants to make a sound but it just cant. The sound is a low grumble that catches your attention yet it doesn't distract you. The note is something that GM got right on this vehicle!
  • dandanzoodandanzoo Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Denali with 90k. Its been making a sound and as you drive faster it becomes more high pitched. I had my carrier bearing replaced last year so its not that. Also after it shifts gear it seams to quiet until it shifts again. There are no tranny problems, runs beautifully. Ive been told it could be a u-joint or maybee a wheel bearing. Sounds like its coming from the back to mid. Any info will be greatly appreciated because i will be doing the job myself. Thanks, Dan.
    Dan, here is my analysis based on a couple of things you have said in the post "...as you drive faster it becomes more high pitched." & " Also after it shifts gear it seams to quiet until it shifts again.", well, it doesn't seem to be the U-Joint as bad/dried U-joint will cause vibration at certain speeds and/or clunking sounds as you shift in to gear; the high pitched sound per your description doesn't quite sounds like from the Transfer case nor the rear differential/pinion gear as each only spins faster as your transmission shifts in to the next gear (if the sound is from one of these components, the high pitched sound should appear in certain speed rather than changes with the gear shifting); however, it does sound more likely from your transmission. You ask why? Well, in my opinion its because of the high pitched noise goes away after each gear shift then re-appears until shifts in to the next gear and etc... Does the high pitched sounds stays at one particular speed/engine RMP? Once the transmission is in OD (or in its highest gear) do you still hear the high pitched sounds?
  • have u solve your problem ??? because i pry mine out and disconnected . much better!!
  • I have the same problem, Have u reach a solution. Mine has gotton so bad now it clunk @30 to 35 miles an hour when i accelerate.
  • I have a 2001 Yukon XL and I have had a noise that sounds like a motorcycle is reviving up and gets real loud when push on gas(this is the best noise i can compare it too)It is coming from the dash area it seems, :confuse: but doesnt do it all the time and now there is a loud grinding noise when i push on the gas and i could only go 10mph. When I stop the vehicle and tried to go again it was fine. It is driving me crazy and scaring me all at once. Please if any one has any idea please let me know. Thank you so much.
  • Some one had suggested it may be the cat converter and to see if my exhaust smells like sulfar but it doesnt smell like that but of gasoline so is that another concern?
  • HEY GUYS I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR A YEAR. TOOK IT TO GMC A FEW TIMES AND THEY COULD NOT FIX THE PROBLEM TOOK IT TO MY MECHANIC AND HE REPLACED THE STEERING SHAFT AND IT WORKED. HE ALSO SO SAID THAT THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL ON THIS PART BECAUSE HE HAS SEEN THIS PROBLEM FROM 2001 THRU 2005 DANALI. OUT OF POCKET COST PARTS AND LABOR $241.00.
  • I have a 2007 Yukon SLT. I love the truck but a rattle just appeared. I have 38K on it and haven't had a problem yet. The rattle sounds like a metal fan blade has something in it. I don't thinkt that's what it is but it's what it sounds like. It doesn't appear till I'm going 35 and it stops when I get over 45 mph. When I slow down to 45, it appears and disappears when I slow below 35. Any thoughts on what it would be?