Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon Noises and Sounds

Comments

• I am the original owner of a 2005 Yukon XL. It has approximately 46k mi, only mods are flowmaster cat-back and a hypertech programmer. Over the past couple months I have noticed a noise. It usually occurs in first gear or idle. I initially noticed it when I was parking. If I am driving and pass someone I do hear it but it is very intermittent and I need help figuring out what it is. If I stand outside of the car I can hear it in the engine but also all along the body as well. It is fairly loud. I have a Century warranty so I just want to get an idea of what it is and how bad of a problem it is before I bring it to the dealer for repair. The video I made is under 2 minutes. I appreciate your help! Thanks

The video is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeok2fFzBV0
  • Anyone???? I really need an expert opinion on the noise I posted above. Thanks
  • sarah37sarah37 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 GMC Yukon. When I am traveling about 10-20 mph you can hear a noise that sounds like marbles in the front left wheel. It is more noticeable when making a turn or especially when pulling into a parking space. I have checked the hub bearing, cv joint, and drive axle and they are all fine. The noise can not be duplicated when it is put on lift thus removing weight from the wheel. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? The noise is getting louder and can even be felt a little in the steering now.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    luvlaughlin,
    I would definitely recommend speaking with your dealer. Please email me and let me know how things go at your dealer. I look forward to your response. Enjoy your weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi, Brought my truck to the dealer. Century warranty inspector was out yesterday. The inspectors report said that the hard grinding noise was heard in first and in second but completely disappeared in 3rd and nothing in reverse. The inspectors conclusion was that it's needle bearings and planetary washer problems and it would be more cost effective to put in the SRTA than teardown. So, the dealer is putting in the SRTA this afternoon, should have it back at the end of the day. I hope it works out! Thank you.
  • bdealvabdealva Posts: 4
    My wife's 2001 Yukon Denali XL just developed a whining noise that is most noticeable just in front of the left rear wheel when the car is idling at a standstill. I suspect the fuel pump.

I would like to hear from others that may have experience with this symptom. I am also looking for a step-by-step procedure for replacing the fuel pump. I know the gas tank has to be removed.

Thanks for any assistance!
  • Hi , I just bought a 03 Yukon and when I turn a poping noise comes from left front tire and steering wheel I am worried I made a bad purchase can someone please tell me if they know what it is.... :(
  • Hi, a popping noise is a little bit vague and there are a lot of working pieces in that area, so I'm wondering when this is actually happening. Is the noise present when you turn left? Turn Right? Is this a FOUR WHEEL DRIVE vehicle? You mention that you feel it in the steering wheel which leads me to believe you may have 4WD. You truck will almost feel as though it's "Hopping" during hard left turns if you are in AUTO, 4 HIGH or 4 LOW. If you want to "test" this, change the selector to 2 HIGH and go for a drive. The condition should go away. My two cents worth based on the information you provided, but at least it gives you something to go on.
  • Hi, I own a 2004 Yukon. We recently were on a 2.5 hour trip and started hearing a noise that was more of a thud every once and a while. There did not seem to be any pattern to when the noise would occur. We took it to a garage and they could not even hear where the noise was coming from. We next took it to a transmission shop who thought it might be coming from the transfer case. Guess what....Murphys Law....the noise is NOT coming from the transfer case. We disabled the 4wd and drove it all weekend. The noise is still there and now it occurs at lower speeds than the 65 mph I was originally driving at. I am supposed to take this to FLA next week and I am getting really nervous. Can anyone help with ideas on how to trouble shoot this? I know we had some work done on the heat shield a while ago. That use to rattle something awful when the car was hitting a certain rpm on the tach.

thanks
    -KM
  • jime11jime11 Posts: 2
    Trimbleman, I also have a 2004 Yukon, and it started making a loud banging noise at higher speeds (over 55mph).

Did you ever find out what was the problem? It is intermittent, and seems to occur after going over a bump. It will last only once, to continuous for 10-20 seconds then stop.

I am wondering if it is a bad U Joint. I can not tell exactly where it is coming from but seems to be center or Front left. It is not tied to engine RPM, because I put it in neutral as it was doing it and did not stop.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on what to check?
  • mrjohnbmrjohnb Posts: 9
    Hello All,
    I have the same issue as the two post above me. but no one has responded on them. Looking for some insight.

When driving over 55mph there is an intermitten loud clang that seems to come from the left front of the vehice. is soulds like someone is hitting the axel with a mallet. you can feel it thru the floor boards. I do not drive the vehilce any longer and looking for advise to fix on my own as I cannot afford the dealer of even mechanic right now. I am mechanically inclined and don't mind getting into minor job. ( a major job being a tranny rebuild....)

I am wondering if someone has had the excat same experiance and can advise that the issue was. Wheel bearing??, Ujoint. locker?? or ????

thanks for your time,

John
  • jime11jime11 Posts: 2
    Follow-up: my problem was a bad u-joint.
  • ando4ando4 Posts: 2
    I have changed out the front drive shafts,, No luck
    I have changed out the front beardings... No Luck
    I Have changed the fluid in the front differential.. No Luck
    I had the fluid changed in the Transfer case... No Luck...
    I checked the brakes for anything binding.. No luck
    I replaced the upper steering shaft... No Luck...
    I did find a post like mine where it was fine cold but after about 15 to 20 miles it started to make the noice when turning left or right.. forwards or back.

That post said it was probably the viscus clutch in the transfer case...

Anyway I took the vehicle into the shop so they could have the transfer case sent out to a local bearing shop for rebuild...
    They said the clutches we shot... and almosted welded together... About a $1200 rebuild cost + labor and fluid.. but at least the mystery is over... Now we can go into a parking lot and park without any issue...

Oh by the way my Yukon had 180K miles on it but drove it about 40K miles trying to figure this riddle out...
    I hope that helps out...
  • 94 Yukon, when ever I turn the key on or off I hear a thumping noise under the passenger side of the dash that lasts for about 10 seconds then quits. I am not having any trouble with climate control or anything else I can see, any ideas? Thanks for your time
  • I had the misfortune of losing my old (favorite) truck to a head on collision. Lacking funds and only getting what we could out of the insurance company we had to settle for a vehicle about the same age as my truck. With that said, we bought a used 2002 GMC Yukon Xl, 5.3L, 2wd truck. We have had the vehicle about 6 months now and the truck has developed a knocking noise at very low speeds when the engine and drive train are not tensioned. Basically the noise happens if you were ghost riding your truck thru a parking lot. As soon as negative tension or positive tension is applied to the drive train the knocking noise goes away (when power is applied to speed up or breaks applied to slow down). I have read all about 4wd versions adn front end issues with steering shafts etc but I dont have a transfer case or front end half shafts and CV joints to worry about. My dad thought it might be the universal joints on the drive shaft but I figured if they were going out you would be able to manually jog the shaft when it is parked and either visually or thru touch, feel any slop in the joints. My initial thought before I crawled under the truck was a drive shaft carrier bearing wearing out but the drive shafts dont have carrier bearings so without pulling the entire drive train apart I am struglling to diagnose. Was wondering if anyone else out there was having similar knocking sounds with a 2nd generation Yukon XL (00-06) that isnt 4wd??
  • trelatrela Posts: 1
    About a few months ago when driving at 110Km/h there is a loud deafening howling noise that disappears at 120km/h. it only happens for those 10 km at that speed driving me crazy. i got the shocks replaced and bearings done...driving me nuts..any help would be appreciated.
  • phochephoche Posts: 5
    2000 Yukon XL. I had my BIL change my struts and ever since, I've had a strange clunking sound near the rear left. It sounds like the spare tire is swinging back there but the tire is well secured. I've removed the jack and tools from the jack compartment to be sure it isn't them and the noise continues. Any rough road that makes the truck rock a little, sets it off. We noticed when we were loaded down that the noise vanished, but even though we loaded down today, the clunking is worse than ever. Ideas on how to isolate?
  • Hello Friends.
    I have a Yukon XL with about 138,000. I bought it at 129,000
    DID the Transmission 5,000 ago.

Anyway I keep hearing this sound and it's driving me crazy. I am pretty mechanically inclined.
    nor me of my friends can figure what it is on test drives when it happens.

I can best describe the sounds as a fast repeating clicking / thumping / sometimes skweeking . it will repeat the clicks about 5 times. really fast.

Sometimes when I am driving it sounds faintly like I am going over the dot reflectors on the highway at about 55MPH. When I am going slow with the window down. sometimes I hear a skweaking componet to it that sounds like a seagull

I am convinced this is electronic and not bushings / chassis.
    It does not seem to affecting the drivetrain or handeling when it happens. and it completey random. or at least I have not put a pattern to it yet.

The last time it happened was yesterday. I was doing about 35mph and hit the brake to slowdown for a lefthand turn. while under braking I got the 5 repeated sounds.

note this doesn't always happen during braking. most time time just while driving.

I welcome anysuggestions.

thanks,
    John
  • So I have a 2002 Denali XL When I try to park and turn sharp into a parking space sometimes I hear a really loud pop coming from the front somewhere. I can feel it though the steering wheel to! It doesnt do it every time but its starting to bug me. Any help????

And Any ideas on where to find Denali parts for cheap online? guys ? Thanks! :confuse:
  • Sounds like a ball joint or steering linkage issue. Is it 4WD or 2WD? Doesn't sound like a CV Joint problem but if 4WD it might be just that. Is it one pop or a loud clicking noise