Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• gmctruckgmctruck Posts: 186
    "The dash pops and cracks like crazy."

My '08 Sonata also has this problem. I think the noise comes from where the dash touches the windshield. The car body flexes to some degree when going over bumps and uneven pavement causing the popping noise and it's a bit worse in cold weather. I was hoping Hyundai would have fixed that in the '09 model redesign by putting a rubber strip where the dash meets the windshield... but looks like that didn't happen.

I also had a problem with the clove compartment door making noise and had to put extra stick on rubber pad stops between the top edge of the glove box door and the dash to tighten up the door. The latch design holding the glove compartment door shut is all plastic with no mechanical latch adjustments possible which can cause the door to rattle when driving on bumpy roads.
  • jm1996jm1996 Posts: 10
    I also noticed this and was prepared to take it in, but the noise seems to have reduced greatly in the cold weather. Could it be AC related?
    I don't think it is related to the AC. I think it is more related to expansion and contraction of the materials as the temperature changes and driving on rough pavement. I've noticed the noise less now that the car is a year old, but I still hear it when the weather is really cold.
  • Have you tried tracking down the noises with any service people, or is it just not worth the effort? I also have a rattle coming from my back deck that is caused by the subwoofer. They have looked into that before but have not completely gotten it out. I think that is much easier to fix and track than the noise coming from the dash. I have not been able to pinpoint where it is, but you are right...it sounds like it is coming from up near where the dash and windshield meet. I really wish there was a fix for it as it has gotten worse for me in the colder weather. It was not there before October or so.
  • I've just recently begun noticing this too in the '09 Sonata I just bought less than two months ago. It's only occasional and not really severe, but it's got me wondering if it's something that's likely to get worse over time. It's tolerable right now, but if it gets any worse, it's really going to affect my overall impression of the car.
    I haven't taken it to the dealer because it isn't severe enough to warrant tearing out the dash, which is what I think will be required to fix the problem for good. Hyundai really needs to address this on the newer cars and I'm surprised to hear the '09's have it as well.

Another thing I discovered is the windshield glass isn't smooth. You can't see it visually, but I can feel a ripple in the glass with my hand and found it while cleaning the windshield. These things do affect my overall impression of the car.
  • My '09 Sonata GLS does something similar, the windshield makes a crackling sound when going over any road irregularity other than the slightest bump. Exactly like the sound the windshield makes when heavy rain hits it.
  • My 08 Sonata had the same noise at the base of the windshield. It only did it when the outside temperature was below 48 degrees. I got a can of silicone spray and sprayed it into the opening between the dash and windshield. I noticed a vast improvement almost immediately and now one year later the nosie is completely gone.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    For what it's worth, my Accord makes a very similar noise under those circumstances. Then again, it's got 78k miles on it. :)
  • ctc1ctc1 Posts: 66
    I had 2 Accords that made the same sound. Was so bad in my 86 I had to trade it in because it was driving me nuts. Spent a lot of time and money trying to fix but never found the cause!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    CR has a review of the 2009 Sonata in its January issue. Once again, it notes that "Suspension noise is pronounced over bumps." CR has made similar comments on reviews of earlier Sonatas. So I am wondering... is the suspension noise some owners are complaining about a "feature" (or more accurately a characteristic) of the car, vs. a defect? There were some noises on earlier Sonatas that were due to faulty suspension parts, and Hyundai replaced those on many cars. But that seemed to be more than the usual noise.

FWIW, I've driven about 15 different 2006-2009 Sonatas over the years, and I've never heard what I considered to be "pronounced" suspension noise. What I heard was a tire thump over some bumps, with the worst noise over tar strips on the highway. I am wondering if CR and others are characterizing that kind of noise as "suspension" noise vs. tire noise?

BTW, the Sonata was the top-rated mid-sized car in the test group, which included the 2009 Malibu (with 6-speed automatic on the I4, also the hybrid version), the all-new Mazda6, and the 2009 Aura (I4). CR also tested the Jetta TDI, which was ranked very high, just behind the Altima I4 in the $20-25k class. The Sonata GLS I4 now ranks 7th overall in that class, behind the Altima, Jetta TDI, Prius Touring, Accord LX-P, Optima EX I4 (pre-2009), and tied with the Camry LE. The Sonata Limited V6 ranks 6th in the $25-30k class, behind Altima 3.5 SE, Accord EX-L, Camry XLE, Passat 2.0T, and Camry Hybrid. The Sonata and Malibu (I4) were the only recommended cars in the test group--the others didn't have enough of a reliability history (which is odd since the Aura debuted before the Malibu).
    I agree that it is just a characteristic of the suspension design. I do not and never did expect the Sonata to ride like a Cadillac for the price, and anyone who does is setting themselves up for disappointment.

I own GM vehicles that also have a noisy suspension, so it's not a big deal for me and the Sonata is only noisy going over bumpy roads but is smooth as silk otherwise. I think Hyundai would be hard pressed to put a better suspension under the Sonata and still maintain it's current price range.

I could only get a stripped down Toyota Camry for what I paid for my Sonata Limited, so it's a matter of personal choice and expectation for the price paid.
  • I have not yet taken delivery of my 09 GLS (5MT), but I have been reading the stuff about the suspension thumps. I did pick up on it when I was test driving.

For me, it's going to be hard to get too worked up about this. My other car is a Mazdaspeed Miata, which has a special suspension setup. If you run over a leaf, you'll feel it and hear it. Riding down a bumpy road is like being in a wooden rollercoaster and just as noisy...to the point where the car causes physical discomfort after an hour or so. But it will out-maneuver just about anything on the road as result, it's the price you pay.

So the noise from suspension crash is a relative thing. If you want silky smooth and totally quiet on a sedan this size, shell out more than 16K-19K.
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    My 2008 Sonata has a pronounced "tire slap" over the transverse metal expansion strips on a bridge near my house. I suspect that is the noise being discussed here. It isn't bothersome to me, but out of curiosity, I listened for the same noise in the same spot when driving my Ford Explorer. Sure enough the same noise is there, but somewhat harder to hear. It's just muffled by all the other noises within the Explorer. Do you suppose that this "tire slap" is bothering folks so much because the rest of the car is so quiet?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    That could be it. I've noticed a similar "tire slap" noise in most other cars, except some that are so softly sprung that the tradeoff is a floaty ride. But it does seem some Sonatas have some kind of unusual suspension noise other than a normal "tire slap", since there have been TSBs and warranty-covered repairs reported in the Sonata discussions in Town Hall. Maybe I've been lucky not to get a car with that problem with all the Sonatas I've driven over the past 3-1/2 years. I drove a 2008 GLS with 35k on it a few weeks ago, and I specifically listened for suspension noise, but didn't hear anything. I did hear a little "tire thump" over the bigger bumps, but it was muted.
  • Just test drove SE today and I like it. The only con is SE doesn't have that woodgrain accents, which looks really nice.

With $1k cash back and 0% APR, what OTD price excluding TTL will be a good deal for SE with or without the premium package.

Thanks a lot! :)
  • cld4cld4 Posts: 2
    I hear the same noise as the others posting here...more pronounced than my Camry.

Is this something that Hyundai has commented on? Or, the dealers' service department?

I wonder if it is "suspension" or the tire slap that some have commented on. Maybe the nitrogen-filled (overfilled?) tires contribute it?

thoughts?
  • I'm 99.9% sure it's the suspension and a function of the way it's designed.

Whether the tires are filled with air, N2, or helium is irrelevant.
  • yitzyitz Posts: 6
    My 2009 Sonata GLS has a distortion so that the lane lines in the road appear wavy from the drivers seat and passenger seat but more so from the rear seat.Anyone else notice i?
  • cld4cld4 Posts: 2
    Thanks...I wonder if there is any remedy available?