Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Edge Noise and Vibrations

blustreak21blustreak21 Member Posts: 2
Has anyone else experienced the loud noise and vibration when the rear windows are down? I was told it was just a problem that all the Edge models were going to have due to the design.
Tagged:

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's a common phenomenon in most new cars these days.

tidester, "Volvo XC90 SUV" #930, 3 Jan 2003 9:19 pm
  • lau123lau123 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I noticed the bad vibrations and piercing sounds to the ears also with the rear windows partially down. I had never had a vehicle do this before. The dealer told me that "Yah, that's the way they are. They're tested in a wind tunnel for aerodynamics only with the windows up". He showed me a Service bulletin about it with the solution being to "open the front windows a bit". Really annoying. Maybe some people only drive with the windows up, but around here in summer people don't use AC and open windows. Guess we will have to live with it.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I have the same problem with a 2003 Aviator with the moonroof open all the way. I just crack another window slightly or close the moonroof about an inch. It's not that big of a deal.
  • kwidrickkwidrick Member Posts: 3
    As mentioned above, you simply need to roll down another window slightly. Usually in the front. Basically it balances out the air flow in the "cabin" and cuts down on the annoyance significantly. I had the same problem with a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport and rolling down the front window even a pinch solved the problem.
  • blustreak21blustreak21 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, they showed me a service bulletin too. Down here in South Texas, you can't really say we have much of a winter so I like to open the back windows while I'm driving. It is annoying, but at least it goes away when you crack another window open. I'm also glad to know I'm not alone on this...Thanks all for replying! :)
  • dneicedneice Member Posts: 4
    I just took over driving the 2007 Ford Edge we have from my husband and put all the windows down and it actually hurt my ears....it's horrible....you can't drive with the windows down....just cracked....what a poor design.
  • piotrek81piotrek81 Member Posts: 2
    I experienced this same issue in my 2003 VW Jetta. For some reason you cannot drive with only the back windows open or it almost sounds like a helicopter and your car will take off. seems to be a problem with many vehicles as cracking the front window on the same side as the open rear window fixes this issue.
  • november66november66 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 07 ford Edge,I get this splashing noise when turning left, it does not happen all the time.I also hear water moving around under my car. I heard there is a place where water collects under you car and the drain could be plugged. I look in the wheel well and it is not always wet. Any imput would be appreciated.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Do you have a sunroof?

If so, those drains may be clogged. I don't know specifically where the ones in the Edge drain but they are usually somewhere behind the rear bumper.
  • november66november66 Member Posts: 2
    no i dont have a sun roof