Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am Overheating

• i have the same problem. did you ever find out the solution. please help me
  • This is going on with my grand am right now, I need some help. What did u find out?anything let me know thanks
  • My car is doing the same thing, what did u find out?
  • i did change the reservoir and it seems to work fine after that, you can try that, costs like $30.00 at auto parts store.
  • nrhsg93nrhsg93 Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Pontiac Grand Am with the 2.3l QUAD 4. I just had all the hoses replaced for the coolant system, replaced the thermostat and the water pump checked out to still be good. No cracks in the engine, all gaskets are good including the head gasket and cooling fan is working normally. Refilled the system with the proper antifreeze and flushed the system of any air pockets. I'm getting heat coming out of my vents and no steam is coming through the vents. OH, also the heater core is still good. So, why is my car still overheating? Could it be the overflow cap or is there still a possibility that theres still an air pocket somewhere in the system?
  • pettpett Posts: 1
    <try cleaning the radiator coils with Pro Red coil cleaner, takes about 20 minutes at the carwash to do it right. The heat cannot transfer away from the radiator effectively in all grand ams because the evaporator core is located too close in front of the radiator to allow proper air flow all the way around it. Also, grand ams sit too close the ground (hot concrete during the summer), and the hood is too close to the engine to allow for adequate ventilation all the way around, so the engine sits there and cooks during the summer months, and sometimes the damage will not show up until months later. Keeping the engine degreased and hoses clean or replaced will combat most of the heat build up. I will be cleaning the coils on mine tomorrow and doing a thorough inspection as mine has been boiling over a couple of times this week, i am in Texas and in July every day is over 100 degrees F. I bought my 1997 Grand Am in 1999, and overall i have been happy with my GrandAm SE, but road grease and grime take a toll on these cars because the engine compartment is jammed together with not enough ventilation. It's not always a blown head gasket, if it were you would have a significant loss of horsepower and the oil level would never stay near the top of the dipstick markings, and the antifreeze holding tank cap would have a milky white and oil residue clogging it up, if the cap looks clean then you absolutely have a good head gasket. To test for a blown head gasket, remove a spark plug in the front of the engine and place a compression gauge in place of it, if all the spark plug entries measure the same within a few lbs. then the head gasket is fine. Also, if the head gasket is blown, the evap sensor would send a GM code to the ECM from a resulting fouled out EVAP canister carbon filter, so the check engine light would go off within 1 minute, if i remember right it's Gm code 481. The 1996 Chevy Corsica has an identical engine to the Grand Am, a 305 block, yet Corsicas don't have near the overheating problem as the Grand Am. The Corsica has fewer excess features clogging up the engine compartment so the issues are at a minimum, my mother has a 1996 Corsica that i've kept running for her since 1998. So i speak from experience, Clean, Clean and Clean some more!