Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima CVT

Here's the problem. When moving from a stand-still in slow moving traffic, after reaching about 20mph and coming off the gas pedal, the rpm suddenly drops then shoots back up causing the car to shoot forward. Sometimes I jam on the brakes because it feels like I'm going to hit the car infront of me. Also, when going slowly uphill, the rpm goes down too low causing the car to feel like it has a manaul transmission and is about to stall. Of course this doesn't happen when you take it to the dealer. Anyone else having a similar problem? Again, I only feel these things in traffic.

Comments

• I experience a similar problem on 07 altima 2.5S: When you go above 20mpg, when you release gas pedal, everything goes smooth, and the car starts slowing down gradually (as expected). However, if i do not accelerate faster than 20 and release the gas pedal, i feel a bump (a slight drop in rpm and then it comes back up) and then, instead of gradually slowing down (as if above 20 mph), the car starts to keep up the speed (which may seem like accelerating). Also, if originally you go above 20 and the car gradually slows down to 20, same effect is observed - a bump and no more slowing down. It is very annoying if you drive in traffic.. I am going to try to test drive another altima and see if it has the same effect and then go to my dealer anyway.. Let me know if you have any updates with your problem..
  • Hey guys... I am having the *same* problem with my 2007 Sentra with the CVT. It's happening at higher and lower speeds, but you're right, it's very pronounced around 20 to 25mph. But I have another problem that's happening more during braking, so that when the engine gets down around 1,000 rpm and I'm trying to brake smoothly, the car will rev up a couple hundred rpm pulling me forward, then suddenly it will drop down to about 800 rpm and the car pulls back quite a bit. I have to be really careful to let off the brake when this happens so that the car behind me doesn't think I just slammed down on the brakes.

It seems as if the engine doesn't know which pulley ratio to be using right around that 1,000 rpm mark. I'm taking my car to the dealer today to look at this, and I printed out your posts to show them I'm not just imagining this. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    I think what you guys are describing is normal behavior for the cvt. Its actually trying to put the car in the most fuel efficent gear ratio as possible. As you said, I think it gets confussed at times. but, just put it in manual mode. that will lock it into a particular gear ratio and your problem should go away.
  • The technician at my dealer said that he did feel the problem I described, but that all the CVTs do the same thing, and there's nothing they can do. But he also said Nissan might eventually decide to do something about it, because it *is* annoying.

Maybe it's simply a software issue and they might release a fix for it.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Maybe it's simply a software issue and they might release a fix for it.

Thats exactly what it is. the manual says the CVT is pre-programed with about 300 algorithms that control how it shifts.
  • I drove a rental 07 Altima 2.5 with the CVT and did not notice this problem. I later had a Dodge Caliber with a "CVT" and it DID have this problem.
  • I have a 2007 Altima CVT and when the revs get to around 1500 rpm there is a rumble that can be heard and a vibration is set up that my passengers also note.
    I have taken it to the dealer and we took out another new car, and it had a similar vibration, even though it was a bit less.

Does anyone else have this problem. Has anyone heard of a fix?
  • Is this the 2.5 or 3.5 engine?
  • It's a 2.5 engine.
  • My Altima is doing relatively the same thing. While driving between 30 - 40 mph in the city there is a vibration - like the tires are very out of balance. The dealership told me it was the transmission searching for a gear. They said to put it in manual and it won't do it. If I wanted a manual transmission I would have bought one. This is unacceptable to me. But the really bad thing is... I bought two 2007 Altimas. How dumb am I? The engine rattles on both, the transmission bogs down at 20-30 mph, it's very loud, and I could just scream! I've been so frustrated that I just traded one of them in, after only 6 months, on a real car - a Honda! Yep, I lost a few thousand dollars but at least when I drive the Honda I can concentrate on driving and not all the rattles and squeaks and the other annoying things. I've never been so unsatisfied with a brand new vehicle. If I had not refinanced it with the credit union, I would take it back to the dealership and tell them to stuff it! :mad:
  • How does this transmission work if someone can it expain without being TO Technical. How is this better than gears? I know it uses a metal band. Won't this band stretch out or wear down eventually? I drive 100 miles a day and i need to know the reliablility of this type of transmission. I have an 04 Pathfinder and i hate to sell it but the price of gas is taking its toll on my wallet now :o(
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Check this out: CVT Enters the Mainstream. :)

Welcome to CarSpace!
  • i have the same problem when going at lower gear, altima 2.5, 2008....i am glad that i am not the only one....yet i agree...its annoying
    Nissan better do something about, i have 2 nissans....i am happy with their products, yet this problem is annoying..if they don't fix it i am done with this company
  • I hope this message helps others with these problems. I purchased a 2007 Altima in November 2006. After driving the vehicle for a couple of months I made a list of problems I had experienced and scheduled a service appointment with the dealer. The issues (in order of severity) were: 1) Vehicle would speed up at approximately 20 - 25 MPH during braking (same condition as described by others in this forum). 2) Vehicle had loud noise when started at cold temperatures. 3) Vehicle would wander on road with slight cross wind. As expected the dealer indicated that they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle and that no "codes" were stored in the vehicle computer. Since they could not reproduce the problem and no codes were stored they could not (would not) do anything. Their advice was to call Nissan customer service, which I did. After many calls to Nissan customer service and many return visits to the dealer, they were unable to correct (or even acknowledge) that there were any issues on the vehicle. Since I purchased the vehile soon after it was released I expected that overtime others would have the same problems that I experienced. I have not looked at this forum for almost a year. Today I find that every issue that I brought to Nissan's attention a year ago is being reported and written about by others. With others complaining about these issues I am positive that Nissan has investigated and confirmed each one. The question will be whether they will take action on the most serious issue, accelaration during braking. My plan is to take the information that I have found on this forum and go back to the dealer and Nissan customer service for round 2, and try to get some satisfaction on these issues. I'm glad I kept my case number, dealer repair orders and notes regarding these issues and my contact with Nissan! I'll post another message after my discussions with the dealer and Nissan customer service. :mad:
  • 1) Vehicle would speed up at approximately 20 - 25 MPH during braking (same condition as described by others in this forum).

I think this is normal for a Sport sedan. Sometimes, I drive the Altima and I feel the engine speed up a little bit especially when I'm going down the hill.

However, this is not much at all compare to the G35 especially when I use the DS mode (Drive Sport). Actually, I think the Altima is still very soft to my taste. ;)
  • The CVT in my hybrid did weird stuff at first but smoothed out nicely after 10k miles. Remember that these cars also have electronic throttles and between the two, things can be funny while the system learns your driving habits.

For you, Altimaowner2, you're just going to end up frustrated with your car, Nissan, and your dealer because it genuinely doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your car. Instead, it sounds like you learned its quirks a bit too late.
  • kal1212kal1212 Posts: 2
    Since most of us seem to be experiencing similar problems, does anyone feel extreme feedback in the pedals. Seems like I'm feeling everything on the road, from the slightest crack. Really looking forward to a response. Its driving me nuts.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I have had a 2.5 Altima CVT for 2 months now, with about 2k Miles.

I agree with you, it takes a little time to adjust to the CVT, as it is a different type of transmission. It appears (to me, anyway) that it is much more sensitive to my driving motions. In other words, it seems much more sensitive to how much I depress the accelerator, etc. I really haven't used the manual shift option much, so I can't comment on that aspect.

I have really learned to like the car, but I can see how others could have problems adapting to the car.

Perhaps Nissan should do a bit more to make prospective buyers aware of the differences....
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    One thing to keep in mind about the road noise, is that the OEM tires on pretty much any car made today are garbage.

I threw Turanza LS-Vs on my Maxima, and it was night and day. The "Turanzas" that come from the factory on our cars are in no way, shape or form related to the store tires. They last a LOT longer, are quieter, and handle better in bad weather.

I've only had my Altima 850 miles, and I am already looking forward to putting LS-Vs on it to see what the car can really do. :P
  • karpediemkarpediem Posts: 46
    I just want to say I love the CVT. My car is the Xterra and my wife has the Altima. Going from a traditional transmission to the cvt on the weekend, when I get to drive it, is like driving a new car every week. It is so smooth, and my favorite thing about it is the acceleration when you depress the pedal about half-way, maybe get the rpm's around 4,000 and stay there. It's such a smooth acceleration and I leave people in the dust without looking like I am flooring it.

Weird thing with the Altima is you can feel like you are flooring it, but if you push a little harder it feels like the pedal clicks a little further and you get more power. I am only sad I didn't get the 3.5 when I floor it, so I mainly stick to my half-way flooring it and get the smooth quick take-off.

CVT gets 2 thumbs up from me.