Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima CVT

Comments

• juanca08juanca08 Posts: 15
    I will visit a Honda dealer later today, they may be able to get out of that Altima before it breaks down completely. Now I am starting to have issues with a knocking sound when I start the car, I assume it's the transmission.
  • I totally understand you being upset about your car but be careful about buying a Ford also. I have owned a couple of Ford vehicles and had problems with them both. My last one I just got rid of because the transmission went out twice in 2 years. I would not buy a Ford again because of the troubles I had with both vehicles. Also, Ford could care less if they lose a customer because I wrote to them explaining my problem and my dismay about their cars and they more or less said, "too bad, so sad". They did not even try to give me any incentive to try one of the new Ford models. Good luck!!
  • I have my car back - hurray . . . so, if you are thinking about a new car . . . DONT BUY NISSAN . . . my 3 year old car - yep only 3 years old - just got a brand new transmission . . . with NO FINANCIAL HELP from Nissan. If you google Nissan CVT transmission you can find literally hundreds of posts about them failing prematurely; however, Nissan obviously isn't going to take ownership or responsibility for this and I just spent $2,000 repairing a car that isn't paid for yet. This was my 5th Nissan and it will surely be my last - warn your friends - share my post - DON'T BUY A NISSAN WITH A CVT TRANSMISSION . . . . .
  • You must have been taken for a ride by your mechanic. Nissan extended warranty on this CVT transmission on 2008 Altima to 10 years/100K miles. The only reason for no help from Nissan is if you put more than 100K miles on the car in 3 years. I have the same car/year and I verified it with Nissan. Talk to you Nissan dealer about the warranty.
  • Your story sounds like mine as my Transmission blew at 71,000 on a road trip. What was the cause of the battery? I already replaced the battery twice after 25 months each?
  • I did not have any problems with the battery, just the transmission. They have replaced the transmission twice valve body 3 times, computer once and they upgraded the transmission software twice. Fortunatelly, my lease has come to an end. :)
  • I think you all should look in to the problems all of the early mini cooper owners went through. they also had a cvt transmission which often locked up, drove sporadic, and pulled out weird. Many of them failed just before or outside of the warranty with no help from mini usa. My gf had bought one used out of warranty it had less than 50k on it. the transmission completely failed 6-7 months after she bought it. Mini wanted over 9k to replace it, needless to say we sold it, and unfortunately she took a major loss on the car because she paid 13k and had to sell it for 3.5k. Mini has never admitted there was a problem, how ever after 05-06 all automatic mini coopers have a normal automatic transmission(guilt admitted right there). CVTs are failure prone and over priced, unfortunately most manufacturers are now switching to them.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,442
    If CVTs are overpriced and failure prone, why would it make sense for manufacturers to be moving in that direction?

Why would Nissan warrant them for 10 years/120,000 miles?
  • Many Auto Companies have switched to these transmissions. GMC, SAAB, Volvo, and many others are using the C VT according Wikipedia. So the problem may not be Nissan but a good salesperson selling a problem prone tranny. I think I am going back to a 5 speed manual. I made it to 100K before I noticed an issue and I am still winging it. So far, I am still on the original tranny with no repairs thus far, but treating my transmission upon accel and decel like a baby. I have heard of some actually getting 200k with no issues. I wonder if it is the way we drive that it can't handle?
    It seems to shift a lot when I leave it auto mode. When I up shift manually, it seems to work much more smoothly now.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    If CVTs are failure prone and over priced, why would manufacturers being switching to them. You know why, because they are not failure prone and overpriced, that's why. They have been out on the mass market for almost 10 years now with many improvements and they keep coming. The few hundred who have issues has no statisically significance compared to the hundreds of thousands of CVT owners who have had no issues. The problem is, car blogs like this only report the few who do have issues. All the car manufacturers would not be moving in the CVT direction if there was this mass market problem and price associated with a CVT as you claim. CVT is the future, especially where fuel economy is concerned.
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Posts: 102
    edited February 2012
    +1

I have had Zero CVT problems with my 2007 Nissan Rogue and now with my 2010 Nissan Altima coupe. :shades:

Mike
  • We have a 2008 Altima with about 75,000 miles. The transmission sounds like a lawn tractor when starting from a stop. Does anyone else hear this noise, and has anyone's transmission failed after hearing this noise?
  • I had exactly the same problem - 2008 Altima 2.5L CVT. At about 80,000km I started hearing a whining/humming noise, faster on acceleration and slower on deceleration. Took it back to dealer for work, and they ended up pulling the whole CVT and replacing it (under warranty). Take it back and insist they look at it. My experience is that some CVTs are good from factory, but some are not.
  • We took it to 2 dealers in fact. The first tried to convince us that it was the heat shield that needed to be welded and that was the noise. We had the heat shield welded. We took it to another Nissan dealer the very next day...he said it was the plastic shield on the bottom of the car that was rattling against the engine. It is clear to us that no one really wants to honor the Nissan Corporation warranty. We should take it to a third Nissan dealer to see what story they come up with next. I take care of my cars and know a rattling piece of metal or plastic from a failing transmission. Even the guy who welded the heat shield told us we have a problem. I was an advocate of Nissans previously but because of the horrible experience we had in buying this car and the experiences that we have had with Nissan dealers, I will not be owning one again. My wife and 2 toddlers ride in that car, and I would like to know if it is reliable or not. Even the service guy at the last Nissan dealer could not look me in the eye. He just mumbled something about..."There won't be any charge for today..." And walked away. Of course there won't be a charge. Why would you charge me for telling me one of the stories that came out of the Nissan Corporation handbook.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,442
    My daughter has an 09 Versa SL CVT. Somewhere around 10-12K miles, A sudden noise developed as she was turning into a parking space in a parking lot. The sound was much like one would expect a faulty constant velocity joint to sound like. After a few laps around the lot, the noise went away.

Over the next 30K miles the noise came back for brief, 30 second periods... then, nothing. I guess one could say these sounds resembled those that a tractor might make.

At about 48K miles, the noise evolved into what I would describe as a bearing with a flat-spot on one or more of the rollers. And, it was constant, and speed-sensitive.

At that time, I took it in to the local Nissan dealer, where they immediately diagnosed it as a CVT failure and ordered a replacement. It was late December 2011, so it took a few extra days to get the new one shipped in and installed (8 days, I believe).

End of story: Car drives perfectly, no noises, no impace on mpg.

Zero $$$ out of pocket.

Since I have had auto tranny problems with GM and Chrysler in earlier vehicles during my 57 years, I'm not too worried about Nissan and their CVTs at this point...
  • Sorry, I forget whether you are dealing with Nissan in the US or not - my experience was in Canada, and the service managers were excellent and did not give me any grief. The manager of the dealership was also good later when I returned the car itself and asked for a GOOD trade on a new Altima that hopefully DIDN'T have a CVT issue. If you're dealing with Nissan US, ask them why N. Canada has no problem dealing with replacing a whole tranny for nothing under warranty. If you're in Canada, my dealership is in Alberta.
  • Thank you for your response, tripletranny. I'm glad that you have had a good experience. We are in the far southern U.S. Otherwise, I might drive to Alberta! When inside the car or from a distance, it sounds like a riding lawnmower. When you listen closely though, it sounds like a pulley that is spinning fast and wiggling on its axis. At this point, I cannot even get a dealer to acknowledge that there is anything wrong with our vehicle. When co-workers, family, or friends ride in our car, they ask what the noise is, and we have to tell them that 2 dealers have said nothing is wrong with the car. I also give them my additional opinion that all their new cars on the lot must sound the same way...since dealers have said that nothing is wrong with our car. These dealers have put my customer loyalty and the safety of my family below their bottom line in priority...and for that, Nissan will never receive my business again. I will also share my opinions freely about their products and dealers.
  • dino34dino34 Posts: 1
    How long does it take the dealer to replace the transmission if they have the parts?
  • Once they had the parts in, it was about 3-4 days in the shop. I don't know how many hours per day they worked on it - it was under warranty so I wasn't billed for it. They also provided rental car free of charge.
  • rp10rp10 Posts: 1
    I just started having the same issue with my car about a month ago. I have an 08 Nissan Altima Coupe with about 67,000 miles on it. The "tractor shaking and sound" has happened three times. All three times it has happened when I'm in stop and go traffic. Usually, if I turn the car off and turn in back on it will stop. It happens right when I accelerate between 15-20 mph. I have no idea what is causing it and I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. When it does happen, the shaking is pretty bad and causes the entire car to shake and the sound is terrible. Have you gotten your issue checked out yet?