Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima CVT

Comments

• I have the same problem on my 2008 Altima with 17K miles. Dealer wants $200 just to check it but the problem is intermittent so they may not reproduce on a short test drive and I don't want to pay them $200 for that. Were you able to diagnose/fix the problem? Thanks.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    I don't know how you talked to the dealer...but they shouldn't charge you a penny b/c the car is till under warranty.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I agree with gooddeal; as long as your still under the 3 yr/36k mile warranty there should be absolutely no charge for taking your car in; this dealership sounds like they are pulling something and if they continue to say that they need to charge you I would take your car to a different Nissan dealer and report that Nissan dealer to Nissan North America immediately; best of luck!!
  • I just purchased a used 208 altima coupe and initially I loved it. But when I drove it on the freeway for the first time for about 45 minutes or so it started to act funny. I started to lose horsepower and rpms would just go up but started to go slower. Even after flooring the pedal nothing would happen. Then I pulled over to see if it would reset, but when I tried to accelerate the rpms went up to around 4000 or so and I was only going 10 or 20 mph again even after flooring it. This was very dangerous could i could not pick up speed to merge back into traffic. Suddenly regardless of how much pressure i put on the accelrator it wouldn't rev up or anything, it was like I was jsut coasting. It doesnt return back to normal until after I stop the car for like an hour or so. I took it into the dealership and since there were no engine lights on they could do anything. They reset the ECM or something but the pronblems jstu happened again. Please someone help me is the car messed up or am I jsut doing something totatly wrong?

Thanks
    Well, I cannot tell you much b/c I don't this issue. I have the '07 w/ almost 18K miles now. I think you should try to document your case, talk to the dealer and hopefully they can replace the transmission under warranty if it needs a new transmission.
  • Have a 2008 Altima 2.5 SL with 7K miles
    My problem is:
    When I am traveling at 35MPH or less, and I have to go down a hill (steep or shallow) and my foot is off of the accelerator the engine RPM automatically goes up to around 3500. It seems that the CVT is locked and forces the engine RPM to rise thereby causing the car to accelerate.
    The only way to stop this is to jam on the brake or go to manual and push + twice.
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Does anyone know if this has this been declared a problem or a safety issue?
    That's normal and I actually like it. It gives me a brief surge like when I'm driving my G using the sport mode. I don't think the car actually accelerates.

You feel the car accelerates b/c when the RPM goes up, the speed is slightly reduced b/c of the high RPM but then when the RPM goes back to normal, it seems the car goes faster.
  • I was told by someone with Nissan that it normally starts after 15,000 miles or so. Thus, you do not have the problem where there is low mileage on the car. I talked with several people who have the same problem. It is not started yet on our 09 Altima because it only has about 5,500 miles on it. Since it is cooler, our 07 does not do it very much. Maybe Lou Fusz Nissan did something to the CVT transmission. I threatened, and did in fact call) to call a local "You Paid For it" program on Channel 2 in St. Louis. This morning it did just three times in 39 miles. Most of the times it does not do it at all. It likes the cool weather. When it was much warmer it did it a lot. You want to make sure that you have an extended warranty on your car in case they have to chane the transmission.
  • I have a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S. Love it and the CVT but I have been getting a clunk followed by griding when decelerating. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • I am having hell with my 08 Altima Coupe 2.5. I having these same problems with the accelerating and losing power. It started at about 34K miles (Aug 09) when I was driving 60 on the freeway and the car lost all power and died!!! Less than a year and a half old! Seriously! Ever since, it has just gotten worse. The dealership is telling me nothing is wrong because the check engine light doesnt come on so they cant get a read and the problem doesnt happen when they drive it. I have had it in twice since it died and it has not improved. The scary thing (like someone else mentioned) is when you turn into traffic and car just doesnt go.
    Well last night it died again. Stepped on the gas and it lost all power and died. I was able to get it started and drive about two blocks to my house. It would not go faster than 5 mph. I went out this morning and it would start but not go above 1000 rpms and then die shortly after.
    Called the dealer, scheduled a tow truck. Go out around 11, start it, and it runs fine. what the heck is up with this? I am so frustrated and I am tired of paying almost $500 a month for a car that breaks down and is less than 2 years old. I should have kept my 98 Honda with 130K miles. It never broke down on me. I am so dissapointed I feel like I was sold a piece! :lemon:
  • You are not doing anything wrong. As I just posted, they told me the same thing about not being able to do anything because the check engine light didnt come on. Luckily when it died yesterday, I think the check engine light did finally come on. I think there are serious problems with some of the CVT transmissions. I was thinking maybe it was just mine until I was able to read some others' blogs which makes me feel better but does not help the situation. I love my car and really just want it to drive dependably but it has been an awful experience thus far. You definitely need to document these problems, Nothing they have done has helped my car with this problem. I am seriously wishing I would not have purchased this car and would like just get rid of it at this point but because I owe so much money and I drive many miles for work I am stuck in it for now. It is in the shop now and I just hope they can figure out what the REAL problem is. I will keep you posted as to what their verdict is. Good Luck
    I hope this doesn't become a problem on more Altima's and Maxima's since they all have the CVT now; could this be the reason Nissan just extended the powertrain coverage of the CVT on the Murano to 10yrs/100,000k miles? wonder if they are going to have to start extending the coverage on the altima and other Nissan model lines

based on what you stated is happening it definitely sounds like a problem between the CVT and engine, I just hope the car constantly dying off and on for you isn't doing any damage to the engine

I have been very displeased with Nissan and for that matter, Infiniti customer service both at the dealership level and headquarters level in regards to addressing problems or concerns with people's vehicle; if Nissan does not address this to your satisfaction or keeps telling you nothing is wrong I suggest getting a lemon lawyer involved and reporting the situation to your state's BBB, Lemon Law Department, and the NHTSB!!!

Good Luck Man, Hope You Find Out What is Wrong

Word to the Wise, Acura/Honda has way better customer service then Nissan does and even Toyota/Lexus treat you a little bit better then Nissan Consumer Affairs

I've leased cars with all of them over the years and by far Honda and Acura have been the best at addressing my consumer problems and concerns!
    I'm sorry I must correct some mistakes I just learned I made in my previous posts

I just learned from Maxima.org that Nissan has extended the powertrain coverage of ALL Nissan models equipped with CVT due to the amount of problems people with early 1st generation Murano's and 6th generation Maxima owners have experienced

The warranty coverage is now 10 years or 120,000k miles, which ever comes first

What concerns me the most about the CVT is when people like you, who have a 2008 model or 2009 model are having CVT problems; those are recent model years; hope Nissan is in for the long haul of paying for CVT problems and replacements!!!
  • I have a '07 Altima and don't have any issues so far.
    Glad to hear it!!!
  • We have had a lot of problems with the CVT transmission in our 07 Altima. I call it hesitating occuring mostly at highway speeds. It has occured at at 35 MPH. Some call it jerkiness. It has done as many as 51 times in about 7 miles. Nissan HQ tells the service people at the dealerships that is normal. Really! I told them that may be normal for the CVT transmission but that it is not normal for how a car should run. I had a technician at Lou Fusz Nissan tell me what the problem is with the transmission but I can not remember it right now. I was told in the last week or so that a woman I know has to get a new engine for her 08 Altima. It is obvious that Nissan has major problems with their cars. I believe that I do not want to issue a major recall for two reasons: 1. The cost. Those CVT transmissions cost a lot of money and they need to replace a lot of them. 2. A major recall would do have a very negative impact on their sales. They do not want the negative publicity. We do not plan to get another Altima and it is not just because of the problems with the car. It also involves the poor customer service you get at Nissan. I have always found a very arrogant attitude of people who do not want to hear what my problem is and plan to do nothing about it.

Rich
  • I was told by a technician at Lou Fusz Nissan in St. Louis that the proble is with the torque controller in the CVT transmission. I could think of it in the previous email. The service manager at Bommarito Nissan in St. Louis (Jim Wille) admitted to me that Nissan has a problem with the CVT transmission. He told me that they are trying to get a fix and then will notify people to come in. They also would not do anything to fix my transmission because the check engine light did not come on and they had approximately one year to do something and they did nothing except erase my driving characteritics in the computer. All the time Nissan HQ customer service people at HQ are saying there is no problem because that is normal.
    I have a 2010 Maxima SV and while I haven't had any CVT trouble, and I wouldn't expect it with only 2k miles on the car, that is the main reason why I leased a Nissan rather than buy it; the CVT is still relatively new and I don't think Nissan has worked all the kinks out of it entirely so I wanted to use the lease at a test run with the car
  • RE: I have a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S. Love it and the CVT but I have been getting a clunk followed by griding when decelerating. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Just an update. It took a couple of days but the dealership was able to diagnose the issue. It turned out that it wasn't a transmission problem after all. I'm not sure how it happend but the strut was loose and that what was causing the clunk. Anyway, great service and they took the time to find the issue and fix it. Good experience here.
  • Just wanted to share with the group that I have an 07' Altima 4 cyl, w/over 68,000 miles (mostly highway) with no issues at all. Love my car. I performed both 30K and 60K service as well. When traveling at highway speeds, I consistently get 33 - 34 MPG, which I believe is courtesy of the CVT. I am looking to keep the car until 120K (two more years). I live in the Twin Cities area, and have my car serviced at Luther Nissan. :D