Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima CVT

Comments

• heygheyg Posts: 3
    Did your accelerations issues get corrected with the valve body? I am having the same issues and my dealer says if they can't duplicate it they won't replace anything? Also can I ask what your dealer name is and the associate you worked with? ANY info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • heygheyg Posts: 3
    Did your accelerations issues get corrected with the valve body? I am having the same issues and my dealer says if they can't duplicate it they won't replace anything? Also can I ask what your dealer name is and the associate you worked with? ANY info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • My dealer told me that they are not allowed to open the transmission or change/replace any parts. This comes direct from Nissan Canada. The only option they have is to replace the transmission.
  • mslucymslucy Posts: 1
    Smarty 666 - I am going through the same problem right now. I took a trip from Ohio to NY and the transmission acted up. I brought it to Nissan in NY and they felt it, but there were no codes coming out of their diagnostic computer. It stopped while we were driving it and they said they had been hearing of problems like this, but I should drive it around to see if it may have been a bad batch of gas. I drove back to Ohio and had the same problem. I brought it to Nissan here and they felt it as well, but gave me the run around, because they didn't have enough people on staff that day. Now they want me to duplicate it, but the car is acting fine again. When should I duplicate it - when I'm in the middle of traffic with my family!! I'm ready to file a suit!!
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    edited August 2010
    Have u tried contacting NCAs about this problem? If not I would recommend you do so immediately. If you tell them how serious this is they should recommend or call the stealership that is poo poo you off. If they don't take you seriously and dismiss your problem, I would then threaten them over the phone that you'll get a lawyer involved, your state's lemon law, etc even if you do or don't. I've found in the past that the threat alone typically helps to get a fire burning under their butts.

If NCAs does not do anything to help you, make sure you document your call to them, who you spoke to, what they said, etc. If you don't get satisfaction from them, your last result before having to get legal counsel/advice involved is to take your Altima to another Nissan stealer near you that you haven't brought your vehicle to before. Tell them, your local stealer dismissed and poo pooed your problem. Other stealers LOVE to hear how badly another stealer treated you and many times will help you more knowing they have gotten your business over one of their competitors stealers, due to poor customer service.

If that Nissan stealer pulls the same thing as your first one, then your going to have to get a lawyer involved most likely. The problem your describing sounds very serious. It might have something to do with the transmission or it might not, I have no idea since I have not experienced anything similar to that on my Maxima but its certainly possible. Like I said, though there have been much less numerous problems with the 2nd Gen CVT, there are still some people having trouble. The problem is getting a stealership to listen to you and finding out exactly what the problem is.

Best of luck on finding out what is wrong. If I were you, I would follow those steps I mentioned before having to get into the sick mess of legal/lawyer help.
  • My 2003 Murano began having a hesitation problem about 18 months ago. The problem happens if I have to drive for more than a few minutes in stop and go traffic. Turning off the ignition and restarting fixes the problem. I had a service tech tell me it is a "safety" feature. Went on a long weekend trip and the transmission began up and down shifting at 70-80 mph on the highway - the engine began going from 2500 to 3500 rpm and back every few seconds. I took it in to the dealer and was told the engine oil needed changing and that would fix it. I made another trip two days later and the same things happened after a few minutes inching forward at a Border Patrol check point. I guess I'll again call the dealer... I spent quite a while explaining the problem to the service manager who gave no indication anyone else ever had a similar problem. Strange the dealer did not jump on the opportunity to do warranty work given it is a cash cow for them.
  • The dealer may hesitate as they may not be able to get approval/reimbusement from Nissan.
  • I have a Rogue, 2010, and the CVT caused us an issue of no acceleration after slowing down. This is a dangerous situation when on a highway or trying to get on one. Nissan is replacing my CVT but who's to say the new one won't do the same. I'm hearing so many different things and some of them are safety issues that need to be addressed. Trying to get as many of us having issues such as this to the National highway traffic services....hotline. Their number is 888-327-4236. I read posts, in this string that mentioned something about the CVT reving up and almost making the driver feel as if they were going to hit the car in front of them. I read a response that said something that this is how the CVT runs...or something like that. One of these times, there will be an accident due to the way this CVT is acting. It may be acting this way, but I think it's an issue that Nissan seriously needs to address before someone gets injured or killed. Please call the number!! Good luck with the CVT's.
  • I have had a 2008 Nissan Rogue for the past three years and work out of it every day (drive 300 - 500 miles per week) and never had an problem with the vehicle or CVT. I traded it in for a 2010 Altima Coupe about four weeks ago and now look forward to many more years of trouble free driving.

Mike
    :)
  • I've had the same hesitation or jerking problem with my 2007 Altima. The Nissan dealership has looked at it several times, reprogrammed the transmission computer stated the problem was solved, I drove the car again and immediately noticed it wasn't resolved so I took the car back. Now I am being told this is a normal characteristic of the CVT transmissions and that the torque converter is locking up but that's normal according to Nissan. I didn't experience this "normal characteristic" the first year I drove the car. I had 2 independent mechanics drive the car and suggest that I needed to return to Nissan for a transmission fix. I also received an extended warranty letter in the mail from Nissan covering to 120,000 miles. However, Nissan is saying there is nothing wrong with the transmission and no codes are showing on the computer. I'm frustrated and not sure where to go from here to have my car repaired so that this issue is resolved.
  • Drove my 2010 Altima off the lot and the next day the engine light came on. It had 50 miles on it. Dealer said it was loose harness wires. 1 week later same thing, engine light comes on. This time different dealer replaced valve body, and other parts in the engine. Car was down for 19 days. I had called corporate. I was told the part was on national back order. Then corporate called and asked if i knew about the lemon law. I said yes, 30 days and they would have to give me a new car. They got the part the next day. So far its ok. But we shall see. Seems the CVT is giving a lot of people trouble. When the engine light comes on, you should not drive it. Both times the dealer said i could not take the car home. Nissan corporate can get the dealer that valve body part. Call and register a complaint.
    This is my second Altima, my first never had a problem so i thought i would be a loyal customer. I'm hoping no other problems occur.
  • FYI...i just dropped off my 08 Altima to the dealership out here in San Diego for the same CVT problems...problems accelerating, decelerating and sometimes straight loss of power...only has about 40K miles on the car and apparently he says that five people this week have dropped off cars with the same tranny issues...back-ordered for a week...i agree that it is a safety hazard...luckily i was three blocks from the dealership when it acted up again (it was the second time)...also for those who think that the problem is related to gasoline quality, don't be fooled by someone who really is dumb...your transmission performance has nothing to do with your oil or gasoline, two separate systems..FYI...it's a major problem with the transmission and be careful...if you have a problem with it let me know b/c i've been dealing with it and Nissan has also been denying requests for loaners on many of these MAJOR problems.
  • Wow I have the exact same problem you described 2008 Altima with about 46K and just about a week and a half ago it started whinning at about 40 MPH and gets louder till around 65 MPH. Was this CVT transmission replaced at no charge?
    Did they give you any trouble any advice?

Says it has a 60 Month 60K Power Train warranty.
    Just good to check before going into the nearest Nissan dealer. Thanks for any advice.
  • I'm on my third transmission. Nissan paid for everything. The transmission warranty is good up to 10 years/ 120000 miles which ever comes first.
  • I have a 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe and I'm having the power loss after going a short distance. I come to a stop and then put the car in reverse and it runs the RPMs to 2500 and the car moves slow. then I put it in Drive and it dose the same thing. I have taken it to the dealer and they can't duplicate the problem,also there are no CPU codes or warning signals. Now they think im dumb. this is the second time. and now i will be waiting for it to do it again and then I'll bring in the blogs i have read, and the lemon law printed out and if need be a lawyer. Has anyone had this problem? :mad:
  • Another woe story - just had the THIRD transmission put in my 08 Altima. All were covered by the dealer under the 100,000KM (oops, now) 200,000KM warranty. The first tranny (factory) at 68,000km started making a high pitched whine on acceleration, which just got worse over the week I waited to get it in. Only 5,000km later, the new (rebuilt) CVT they installed started making a terrible scraping noise if you accelerated quickly with fair gas. This problem got worse, scraping noise all the time through bottom gears, and even had an afternoon where it did lose all power, after I had to floor it to get into first gear. It then started slipping through all the gears, a real hazard to driving. Dealership did not bawk at replacing any of the trannies, but this is getting tiresome. I don't even have 75,000 km and on the third tranny now. Service guy at dealership did state they are having lots of noisy CVTs with the Rogues, but he said he'd never seen it with an Altima? Nissan is by default admitting issues with CVT by adding to the warranty, but from my experience the replacement trannies are just as bad. Am hoping to go back to dealership and see about getting rid of this Altima for a 2010....hopefully those CVT's are better??? Any 2010 Altima owners out there with same CVT issues - please let me know if you think I should try this game again...
  • Another woe story - just had the THIRD transmission put in my 08 Altima. All were covered by the dealer under the 100,000KM (oops, now) 200,000KM warranty. The first tranny (factory) at 68,000km started making a high pitched whine on acceleration, which just got worse over the week I waited to get it in. Only 5,000km later, the new (rebuilt) CVT they installed started making a terrible scraping noise if you accelerated quickly with fair gas. This problem got worse, scraping noise all the time through bottom gears, and even had an afternoon where it did lose all power, after I had to floor it to get into first gear. It then started slipping through all the gears, a real hazard to driving. Dealership did not bawk at replacing any of the trannies, but this is getting tiresome. I don't even have 75,000 km and on the third tranny now. Service guy at dealership did state they are having lots of noisy CVTs with the Rogues, but he said he'd never seen it with an Altima? Nissan is by default admitting issues with CVT by adding to the warranty, but from my experience the replacement trannies are just as bad. Am hoping to go back to dealership and see about getting rid of this Altima for a 2010....hopefully those CVT's are better??? Any 2010 Altima owners out there with same CVT issues - please let me know if you think I should try this game again...
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    ...had 2007 w/ no issue and now no issue w/ the 2010 as well.
  • jamess3jamess3 Posts: 16
    Tripletranny: sorry to hear about your issues, but have you tried to twitter about it? See today's WSJ about what Delta is doing to help clients with problems who use the "megaphone" of social media.

FWIW, I have a 2010 Altima 3.5, albeit w/ only 1500 miles, but I've had no problems. Granted, it did take some getting used to, but now I actually like the linear power feel. It's like a light switch w/ a dimmer vs, a 3-way switch, right?

I had read about such issues prior to purchase in July, but with a 10 yr warranty, I figured I'd roll the dice.

Best of luck.
  • I have a 2010 2.5S with 4,000 miles on it and the CVT is great. The combination of power and efficiency is excellent. I took a long road trip with flat highway and hill climbing and the CVT did a good job adjusting to the roads.

I hope everything works out for you. If I am not mistaken, starting in 2010 Nissan put a better/net generation CVT into the Altima's? A friend of mine used to own the 2007 2.5S and let me test drive it. The CVT is way better in the 2010 compared to the 2007, in my opinion.