Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima CVT

Comments

• smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Since 2008, the Accord has had massive brake and rotor issues. Just check out those threads on edmunds and you'll see. I've also consistently read from Accord owners that the Accord has a tremendous amount of road and wind noise that is heard in the cabin compared to the Altima and Camry.

Nissan reduce the engine noise and in cabin noise a bit during the mid life refreshing in 2010. So the 2010-2011 Altimas are a little bit quieter than the 2007-2009s.
  • jam808jam808 Posts: 14
    Thanks I think I Am going to go with the ALtima

I want to buy it from Enterprise or HErtz

I saw a few 2010 with 32000 miles which is a lot but the price was like 15500
    The 2008-2009 i see with 28-35000 miles for 14500-15500 as well

What do you think.

You can check them out on

http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/carsales/home.do;jsessionid=NfbQDvcRMTgtG8vJ7n- SLrVDWnqCkvsyr6LGmQDpVLdvFpqbLQL3F!-39648364

http://www.hertzrent2buy.com/Content/SearchResults.aspx?Distance=100mi&Makes=Nis- san&Models=Altima&BodyType=Sedan&PostalCode=33019&
  • I have the same problem what you said. But I have 2008 Nissan Versa with the CVT. I have another problem that when you start moving forward from the dead-stop, I have to press the gas pedal to the floor to move the car creeping forward with high rpm. After few miles, the speed build up like normal cvt.
  • mickenpamickenpa Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    my 09 Altima started a high pitched whine with only 8800 miles on it
    I had been noticeing some jerky-ness on take off from stops and acceleration
    but put it off to my not driving the car often and not being used to it

took the car to dealer
    they told me that Nissan had a dealer recall on this problem
    if whine is heard to replace the transmission pump
    dealer opened trans. and pump was ok but said bearing needed replacement
    replaced bearing and for last day has been trying to get car to talk to computer again

was also told that Nissan was replaceing full transmission when problem occured
    but now replacement of pump is suggested instead

my major worry now is what other problems may arise that when unnoticed
    or may arise due to breaking into the transmission to replace parts

not having the warm fuzzy feeling for my Altima recently :(
  • Did you get a letter from Nissan guaranteeing replacement? If not ask why. Both times my tranny was making noises (and jerking, the second time), my dealer did not even try to open the tranny and look around. They just pulled the whole thing. At the time, they said Nissan did not encourage them to fiddle around with it, but just pull it.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,623
    My kids '09 Versa SL 1.8L CVT makes that same noise coming from the right front of the engine...don't know what it is but will be taking it into the dealer once I hear what can be done on this or other CVT forum. I knew we heard something, so glad we're not crazy. Will wait & read til I find out any new information.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• I have a 2010 Altima with CVT Transmision. Last week I had to do an emergency stop at an intersection, after coming to a complete stop from 65 km/h the car would not go and only moved at idle speed just like it normaly does when you take your foot off the brake. Took it to a dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it. Even after we took it for a test drive and it did the same thing and did not go back into gear for 30sec or more. Can anyone realate to this or help me with it??
  • dagemdagem Posts: 13
    edited April 2011
    I've been reading around the Altima forums, the cvt is a hot topic for most of them. Until 2010, Nissan upped the warranty on the cvt to 10 yrs/ 120k, but they aren't doing it on the '11's. Someone posted it was because they changed them for 11, but others say this is not true, anyone here have any info on it?

Another poster said about 1 in 7 had cvt problems, and he was fighting Nissan because they had replaced his 3 times and wanted his money returned under the lemon law. I know the Altima is doing work in the rental fleets now, so I'm sure they are being abused (like all rentals).

I go back to talk to them on Thursday about purchase, of the 3.5 SR for about $24k, at this price it seems like the best family sedan with a V6, but the cvt thing worries me a little. The Altima is a big car with a strong V6, and is the cvt going to last 7 or 8 years? I like to drive cars for a couple of years payment free to save for a good down payment.

Any help/information is greatly welcomed.

Thanks, DGM
  • I had a 2008 Altima 2.5 that I returned when they put the 3rd transmission in. I was able to get a good deal on a '10 last November from same dealer. Thus far, no issues at 10,000k. I think the '10 cvt was a better one than the '07/08 ones, but interesting as I read your message, as I have not heard anything from Nissan to date about extending my '10 warranty to 10yrs/120k like they did with the 08.
    edited April 2011
    From Nissan Assist

""Nissan CVT Warranty Extension

Nissan has extended the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for CVT transmission repairs, replacement, and related towing on all 2003-2010 model year Nissan vehicles equipped with the CVT. The remainder of the powertrain warranty coverage for components other than the CVT transmission remains unchanged. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions otherwise apply.

Please note that this is not a safety recall, and there are no safety issues relating to your Continuously Variable Transmission.""

Not sure when Nissan did it, and they may do it for the '11 models as well, it's on my QTA (questions to ask) list.

I've heard horror stories about the cvt, but on the net the smallest problems get blown out of proportion. It does seem like 3 cvts in 2 years, sounds like a horror story to me.

EDITED You might read the whole thing a few times, it seems every time I read it means different things. :confuse:

Hopefully you will get the extra coverage, I'm pretty sure it will be a major factor in my decision, they might have a '10 still sitting on the lot they want to clear off for a nice discount.
  • hrotolohrotolo Posts: 11
    I have the 2010 Altima coupe, its a great looking car but have had to the dealership 3 times complaining about the transmission. I am so tired of dealing with this issue that I am going to sell and go back to Infiniti G37. I bought the car for the 3.5 and now it hardly has any power, what a joke. Even if they replace the CVT transmission it could have the same problem again, according to the posting I have read. Very frustrating, not a solid car I would advise to stay away....

Heather
    Just to add regarding safety, it is a hazard. When trying to merge into traffic and the car doesnt move. Also, was on a hill and my car was rolling backwards and was at 2000 rpm. I have had other people drive my car and they are shocked at the lack of performance.
    Thanks for the info, it just doesn't sound like they've got the cvt figured out yet.

I've read on other sites about them losing power, and about them having problems after long drives at high speeds. Here in AZ we can run 75 for long stretches, and losing power getting of the highway with my daughter doesn't sound fun.

This car is making me wonder if it's worth the risks....

Thanks again.
  • JUST had the tranny replaced in my Altima!! I was searching around for similar probs & came upon this thread. So far, the d/ship has had my car since last Fri, about 5 days BUT they were kind enough to give me a loaner. Said they'd have my car done today but no dice, they had to wait for a bracket they use to hold the engine in place while they swap out the trans. Looks like tomorrow, if I'm lucky!

Whole trans tho? At 18K mi? Happy it was under the standard warranty AND the powertrain warranty!! Still, I have no prob recommending the Altima, it's been the best car I've had!
    Yes, Nissan says it's easier to replace, than repair. I am beginning to wonder if it's their master plan for when it goes out after warranty, this way you'll be used to just replacing it.

I would be hard pressed to recommend a car that tossed it's tranny @ 18k...

Just curious is it a 2.5 or a 3.5?
  • Acceleration or decelartion on rises or declines confuses the transmission into shifting the the wrong gear. Climbing uphill then sudden leveling causes it to jump to a higher gear and limb along at 5mph till it reaches that gear, then it is fine. After a recent stop from 40 going downhill on the highway the thing wook forever to get up to speed and got hit in the process. This CVT thing is a piece of crap. :mad: :lemon:
    I just dropped my car off at the dealership for the 3rd time, I almost got hit yesterday pulling out of parking lot. Went for a test drive and they felt it, lets see what the technician says. If they tell me there is nothing wrong I am going to tell them to keep the piece of .....Im done!!!
    Okay just got a call from the dealership and they are going to replace a transmission valve(takes 5-6 days) and if that doesnt fix the problem they will replace the transmission REALLY??? Anyone have feed back on this??