Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Electrical Problems

Comments

• wocwoc Posts: 3
    I also had electrical problems with my 03 EXT. I had the dash lights flicker, gage cluster package go on and off, all lights and indicators.
    My delaership replaced the ignition switch for $550. On the final test drive the issues appeared again, however the tech had my back seat folded up for access to the rear floor panel. He noticed that when he hit bumps the electrical issues started again. The seat was bouncing on the wire harness under the rear mat. This caused lose connections and intermittent issues. They rewired the harness on the rear floor, moved it to the side and put some extra padding on the floor to cover the worn harness. Repaid me on the labor part of the ignition switch. This was 6 months ago and everything seems OK.
    However my speed o meter motor just went out, not related, and I had to replace my cluster....this is a fault of the poor quality servo motors.

Now only issue is my driver seat is not working on the forward and reverse mode, making it tough for my wifr to drive. Any ideas on seat issue?
  • Wow, you got reamed by the dealership!! I had my ignition switch replaced by Goodyear for 80.00, including parts and labor! AND, I found a bulletin from GM stating that they were having problems with ignition switches in 17 different models of their cars, so I called GM headquarters to complain that there was not a recall. They repaid me for the part, 43.00, so I just had to pay 50 for labor. They stated that had I taken it to a dealership they would have repaid me for the labor as well.
  • Thanks Robby! I had a crazy issue happen yesterday. I was sitting in my car using the cigarette lighter for power for my computer. Didn't have the car running and when I went to start up heard nothing but a clicking noise. I thought that maybe I had drained the battery. Attemted to get a jump and nothing happened. However, now the battery went totally dead. The key became stuck in the ignition (still in there) and power locks and remotes wouldn't work. So I thought the battery is totally dead now. Car was making funny noises and it would slightly power up(electrical system driver memory dash lights etc). But now nothing works.

However, the one thing that I didn't notice is that I opened my hatch yesterday to get something out of it. Interestingly enough this could be the cause. Because the second time I opened the hatch to get the jumper cables out (problems got worse). I didn't make the connection. I am going to have the car towed to the dealer(provided no one has stolen it since I had to leave the key in the freaking ignition overnight at my office) and I will have them start with this problem first. Will post again if this in fact was the problem. Thanks again as I was totally confused as to where to start. Battery, ignition, starter(had that replaced last year) etc...
  • :sick: Hello everyone. I am having similar yet different problems with my '06 Trailblazer and I'm curious if anyone else has had them too? My truck is currently in the shop for 4th time in 6months for problems. This is the 3rd time the ignition switch has gone out. So the truck has power but wont start. It has been in the shop for a short in the gas gauge, so the analog gauge would not register and the digital gauge was not accurate. That problem caused me to run out of gas, luckily I was close to the gas station! Yesterday the "service stabilitrak" light came on, then it went off. One hour later the truck died and would not start, it had power but would not start. It definately has electric gremlins. The dealership does not think these 2 problems are interlinked, I disagree but the are the "experts". My back hatch latch (say that 3 times fast) is malfunctioning too. When I open the hatch it stays locked, so when I go to close the hatch it hits the locking bar. I have to hold up the handle and manually push the locking bar open so it can then latch around the T-bar at closure. I think it is a BIG lemon!!?? I am just waiting for it to blow up in my garage.
    Help! It is scary that these problems keep happening. We travel a lot and I am the mom of the family, so I always have kids...it is getting really inconvenient to have this thing towed to the shop every 2 months! Thanks for your time! :lemon:
  • OK I have a 06 trailblazer I have had it over a year bought it with 19,000 miles I am fed up with it i have had tranny sensor problems where it would not change gears right it has had ac problems it has had fuel pump prob's and most of all ELECTRICAL problems I am on my 3rd altenator and its going out its making a wining noise the lights dim and the volt's drop every time you slow down and the lights even pulse sometime!!! It has always done this and they said its suppose to! Im tired of it im tradding it off as soon as I fix it AGAIN!!! :lemon:
  • I have counted all the times my truck has been in the shop ::not including oil changes:: It has been in the shop 14 times within a year! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • baddbonebaddbone Posts: 1
    Your problem is the battery in your remote on the key. It happened on my wife's Envoy. No one at GM knew what it meant. My brother in law, a former GM mechanic mentioned the possinbility of being the bettery in the key's remote. That's the battery they are talking about. It worked after she changed the battery. Message cleared up.
  • ticadooticadoo Posts: 40
    My trailblazer only has 63,000 miles on it, but I've had tons of problems! The latest problem is that all of a sudden my left turn signal started "clicking/flashing" really fast. Now, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Also, when I put truck into park, all doors unlock except driver's door. It sounds like some type of electrical problem???? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
  • My 2005 Trailblazer head lights flicker at night for some odd reason, I have no clue why and the dealership can not seem to reenact it. I have complained to Chevy and it is currently in the shop for a "certified" report to give to GM. The battery dial also moves when the lights flicker. An suggestion on where to go from here?
  • My head lights have been flickering at night along with the battery dial in the dash board. I took it under warranty to have it looked at and they could not repeat it. I currently have a complaint into GM and I am taking it back in for them to do a "certified" test. I am not to sure where to go from here. Any suggestions/thoughts?
  • My Christine has 91k for mileage and other than a few small issues, no complaints until last Friday after an oil change. The service engine light was on but I thought it was because I did not tighten the gas cap enough.

Then I had to get gas, that is when all the fun started. All the dash lights came on, the only gauges that were working is the speedometer and the tachometer. The gas, oil, temp and battery gauges are dead, the blower works, the a/c doesn't, the locks do not work, the cigarrette lighter does work, the front windows do not work, the power seat does work. The radio does not work.

I read that it could be a relay and i changed several of them and that is not the issue..I am guessing ignition switch again? :mad:
  • This is the same thing happening to my 04 right now. I've only had it for a few months and about a month back I went out to start it up and it was dead. It was fairly new so I figured the kids had been playing in it and just left some lights on or something. Got it jumped and had the battery tested at AutoZone and it was all good. Haven't had any problems until just today. The car hasn't moved since Friday afternoon and my son was just in it one time and I doublechecked to make sure all the lights were off..etc. I try and go to the store and the battery is dead and now my key is stuck in the ignition. Once again, nothing was left on and the doors were all shut. I also have some lights come on like the service 4WD and service engine. I go to have them checked out and they go off. What is going on with this car?
  • OK. I need some advice. I was waiting in a turning lane...my 03 Chevrolet Trailblazer running...went to take off and the engine had cut off on me. Could this be electrical problems? It has done it once before...a couple of months ago and mechanic could not find a problem....it just turned 67,000 miles!!!
  • The mechanic bless his heart, had a late night at the shop last night just to diagnose what I thought was either an ignition switch or alternator. As it turns out it was a Power Train Control Module that was not allowing the computers to communicate with each other.

So he was able to find a used one and will install it, but it needs to go to a dealer and have it programmed.
  • Changed the battery today in my 2004 Trailblazer and now the front seat is all the way forward and does not work. Move any lever on side of seat and hear clicking noise from dash. Any suggestions?
  • Bought a 2002 trailblazer in Feb of this year.High freeway miles but ran fine.Wife called me about a month ago from our bank saying the battery was dead. I went a jumped the battery,but start up was a little hard for the next few days. I figured the battery was about gone, so I bought a new one and installed it.Started fine for the next couple of days. Was going out of town on a business trip,and when I was checking out fluids ,tires ,etc, noticed a nail in one tire.Took it down to the tire shop, and when the kid got in to take it in the bay,it wouldnt start,no clicking,no nothing.He jumped it and it started. After the tire was fixed,the same thing,and a jump again. Got it home turned it off and nothing again.I took our other vechile on my trip. When I got back I tried to jump it again,and the key jamed in the ignition. We had it towed to a shop of one of my employees husbands place and he replaced the lock,started it and stoped it for a few days,and only found a battery cable under the motor a little loose. We took it on a trip to Ca. {we live in Utah} to visit a friend. Th 2nd day there, I went to start it and dead again. My friend jumped it and we had no trouble for the next few days,and on our trip back no problems. Got back to Utah, drove around a couple of days. Went to get in to go to work after our little vacation, and dead again. It wont even jump now. Battery shows a charge,.I thinking a loose cable again as I cant even get any noise when I try to start it. The fellow that replaced the switch said the alternator/starter checked good, but he has limited testing equiptment.I have limited funds for repair, so the blazer has sit in the driveway for 2 weeks. HELP
  • I have an 03 Trailblazer Ext that decided to die. As we were driving the vehicle just quit running. Battery voltage is good, clean connections, no blown fuses, nothing odd looking. Now when I try to start it the dash cluster goes haywire the gauges jump up and down the idiot lights go on and off and occasionally the vehicle will not even try to crank. Of course to make things worse sometimes it wont shift out of park (not really easy to move it out from the middle of an intersection) and of course the key wont shut off or come out. Did anybody ever have this type of problem and what is the fix other than trading it in on another piece of Detroit trash.
  • tamesatamesa Posts: 5
    After changing the alternator, computer, changing several modules and doing some wiring repair, my beloved Trailblazer continued to have it's "OH MY GAWD I AM A FREAK OF NATURE" fits in which the dash went haywire...lights on, gauges possessed, no ac, windows in front not working, passenger seat not working, no power locks working..I brought it back to the shop for the 6th time. That was the day that the mechanic found the issue. It was the connections to the computer being corroded. The top connection was fine, but the connection of the bottom of the computer had corroded and melted wires. In addition, the "o" ring around the bottom connection of the computer was starting to corrode leaving a gaping hole for water to get in and short everything.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. ;)
  • im having the same problem.should i call GM head quarters first? be 4 i take the car in. i hope to here from u soom.
    gonzo
  • Hi,

For me it turned out to be a corrosion issue with the connection from the wiring harness to the computer. The connector to the computer was not only corroded but melted as well. my mechanic says that it is poor design with having the computer so low to the ground and so close to the engine. Good luck.
  • 2002 Trailblazer LT
    For the longest time the drivers side door speaker audio was not working and I had assumed that it had gone out. Then by coincidence I happed to notice the following set of unusual electrical quirks as it peratined to the speaker and the apparent intermittent problem of coming on at extremely low volume.

The first procedure was to check L-R audio balance. When adjusting all the way over to L, I found that the L side speaker audio level was working but the volume was low to just barely non-existant. - R side was fine.

This is where all the unusual electrical quirks come into play if and when the speaker works at it's proper volume. It just so happened that I was having 3 separate issues occur when the L side speaker volume would be non-existant or just barely noticeable.

The:
    Daytime Running Lamp chime for on/off operation would not work all the time.
    Chime for leaving the Turn Signal on to long would not work all the time.
    Low Fuel Indicator Chime would not work all the time. (low fuel light works fine)

The strange thing is that when all the above do work, the speaker comes on and works just fine. The only distinct correlation I've found when everything is working properly is that on summer days when the outside tempurature is 90 degrees or above or the car sets long enough in the heat everything works as it should. During cooler days sometimes it worked sometimes not. Just so very intermittent.

Have not taken it to a dealer as of yet because I fear it will be a control module or
    sensor of some sort and the cost for the fix will be outrageous.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
  • how did you resolve the problem. I'm having the same problem
  • i have the same problem after changing a battery. how did you fix it
  • Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on this board in a while. I never got my problem fixed, kept having strange things happen. Then, the last time I had it serviced, they had replaced my battery in my key remote. Everyhing was okay for a few days, then that battery went out again (the one in the key remote, for the automatic doors, etc- and it was less than a week old). I just didn't bother to replace that as I figured who cares- and I have not had a problem since. Someone in this thread mentioned that that was my problem, and I think he/she was right. It is slightly annoying to not have that auto lock, but it is a small price to pay for comfort of having a car that starts. :)
  • Thanks, I think you are right. After they replaced my battery in my key remote, that same battery died like 3 days later. I didn't bother to fix it because it was the least of my problems at the time. Since then, my car has only died once. I think that maybe there is a short or bad connection in the remote that was signalling something to my car that was off/wrong??
    Also, seem to have the problems when it is really cold/wet. Now that we are getting into winter, we will see what happens. I will keep in mind some of the other responses regarding the connectors to the computers being corroded, etc.
  • tamesatamesa Posts: 5
    I had my mechanic tear apart the connections from the computer and repair them. :blush:
  • I am having this same problem. What took care of the problem?
  • Sometimes by left turnsignal will go crazy, sounds like it is getting ready to blow up. When it does this, the actual signal does not work. I have found that it happens when the bulb gets wet or is lose. These trucks need to have major work done to them. What a disapointment!!
  • I have the same problem with my LH Driver speaker not working. The chimes go through that same speaker so that's why you do not hear them. If you hold down the sixth preset station button with the radio off, you can set you chimes on loud.

Once you do this and adjust the sound all the way over to the left, you'll should here a faint chiming when, for instance, you leave the keys in the ignition with the door open. So the chimes do work.

I am guessing mine is a bad speaker connection or blow speaker?
  • Ok, i need HELP! The passenger side of my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer does not work! The power window, door locks and interior light does not work, but only on the passenger side. Also the "service engine light" has recently came on and stays on constantly. I thought maybe I had a blown fuse so I stopped by one of the many auto parts store here in Tupelo and was going to have a diagnostics ran on it by hooking it up to the computer under the dash drivers side. However, the diagnostic machine would not read anything! The tech at the parts store told me I had a blown fuse, thats why my passenger side dosen't work and that same fuse powers the computer. Is that true? Whats the deal? Can u please help me?