Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Electrical Problems

Comments

• Wiring from my blower motor to the resistor has gotten hot and I have found several damage spots on the Ground wire between the motor and resistor and including damage on one portion of the butt connector on the Resistor. I did my best to repair the damaged spots and replaced one section of ground wire. My work allowed me to enjoy my air conditioning for about a week. Its now not working again.
    What is causing my wiring to get so hot? Any suggestions?
  • mayabmayab Posts: 1
    You are not the only one who is having electrical issues, if you type on Google you will see forums full of customers complaining about the battery drain on their car. There is a DEFECT in GM built trucks and cars. I have heard of Impalas having the same issue. But there are forums are out there showing 2002-2008 Trailblazers with battery drains, that lead to electrical problems throughout the whole vehicle. My friend is having the same issue with his car and has replaced batteries, alternators and everything else. Some forums say that its the BCM The body control monitor is to blame. But, there may still be another underlying issues. I am currently asking for legal representation to have petitions signed on behalf of GM customers that are experiencing these types of issues. There are so many out there, that are having to jump their cars everyday in order to get it to function properly, I don't know how many people want to spend $20,000-$40,000.00 on a vehicle that has to be jumped or that they have to take the negative terminal off the battery every day just to have their cars run properly, but I know I wouldn't. Please get the word out, that if anyone is having any issues like this with their Trailblazer to keep posting to this forum or any other Trailblazer forum that they can find! I will be sending links to different firms to see if it generates enough to get people's cars fixed~ You all deserve to have properly running cars!
  • yes definatly does not work at all chevy says total cost 378 or so :( :mad:
  • chevblazr05chevblazr05 Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    I have tried to do some research on this issue but not sure what to do. The #5 setting for the fan won't work, I have read it may be a fuse, or maybe the Blower Motor Resistor. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Usually, the highest speed is connected directly to the 12v source via a relay. The blower resistor may only be a connection point in this case. You really need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot something like this. It could be a problem with the fan speed selector switch itself also.
  • We have FINALLY resolved our problem (cross our fingers) after 3 years of exactly what you just described. We had to unhook our battery every nite just to ensure the car would work the next day! I could go on forever.
    This is how we fixed it. As you know, you have to think outside the box. My husband started thinking about how the car is run by a master computer. Computers take time to shut off, slow down... you have to be gentle w/thm. So, when stopping our car, we turn the key slowly to the first shut off- at this pnt the engine is not running but all lights and radio are on. Then we count to 9 or 10 and then turn the ignition key again. Now we have turned everything off but the radio would still be running. We would wait til the car shut off everything itself- and NO one opens any doors until all turns off. Then the 1st door opened is driver door- keep open until all other doors are opened & closed. I swear it works! It took car about 2 months to reset itself, now when we go through process radio turns off immediately when you turn key in ignition to final off position. The car hasn't been dead for the last 2 months. You must follow routine. We do still go out at night once & awhile and make sure we don't hear anything draining the engine.... good luck......
  • my 2004 Trailblazer fan does the same thing - sometimes! Along with many other problems that all appear to be related to wiring issues. Radio works some days and not others. Speakers will suddenly come on and scare us to death.... right tail light is out, but the bulb is NOT the problem.... door alarms ding at strange times....some guages don't work anymore. I've found well over 200 complaints along very similar lines. Somewhere there should be a recall and fix for this problem!
  • I took a look behind the glove box the other night turned the fan to 5 and then moved some of the wires around "wall - a" it works Scary, yes I think so. Not a good sign for sure. I guess I will see how long it works. Biggest problem is you can't see anything very well under there so it is hard to diagnose anything. Like I said I guess I will see how long it stays working for now untill I look into it any farther.
  • My Trailblazer brings me to tears almost every week. I bought mine 2004 new and had problems from that day on. I have called Chevy many times to complain and get a lemon law passed to fix all the problems. Why should I pay $39,000.00 for a vehicle and then turn around to spend more money to fix it. I'm glad my brother is a mechanic so the labor is free but because I go to him GM doesn't recognize my problem do to the fact my brother doesn't work for a certified GM dealer! SO I can't claim any of my problems! My brother has my Trailblazer now due to the same problems you are having. I talked with him last night and he thinks it is the BCM before this he replaced the dash cluster which had a short. If I let the SUV sit more then 2 days I had to jump it so they (I brought it to a GM dealer to look at) thought it was the cluster. My brother replaced the cluster and still having problems and now we are on to the BCM being replaced. I would love to get GM to claim the problems!
  • Just received a phone call from my brother... he tells me that the power seats are drawling lots of power. I looked online to see if anyone else was having the same problem and I did find others. I told him that someone cleaned the power seat switches with contact cleaner and the battery stopped draining. Lets see if that helps with the draining battery problem!
  • I agree indeed. I have a 2006 blazer and my drivers side window panel caught on fire a week ago (outside my warranty). This was while my whole family was in the car. None of the buttons work on the panel and it will cost another $350 for a new window motor and panel box. I have changed out the frt passenger window motor twice. What a POS!!! Lets get this to the government. I am ready!!

Steve
  • 2008 trailblazer. Have taken this in 3 times for the same problem in one year. key locks in the ignition and can't turn car off. dash lights come on, a/c stops working. First 2 under warranty, 3rd under extended warranty. Also had same problem with 2003 new trailblzer after 500 miles. Turned car off to get gas, could not start car, nor remove key from ignition. Complete computer module had to be replaced. I also had batter issues recently and didn't equate to this until I read forums. Battery died, replaced it, died again and had to have it replaced again. Of course dealer "never heard of this problem" before which I find astounding. all happen when out of town on travel, complicating the problem. Different dealer every time.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    trzblzr,
    I apologize for your experience. I would like to look into this for you.
    Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I have had literally all of the same problems except the speakers coming. This is due to the fact that my stereo went from having a tuner/cd/aux combo, to having just the tuner selection...And for no reason at all my antenna does not work on almost any channel. The antenna has never been damaged or touched in anyway. I have also had the exact same problem with my right taillight. I have replaced the same bulb 6 times since having the car.

I have also experienced window, AC, cruise control, panel and starting problems. My car once turned itself on with no key in the car and not being touched....enough said
  • I have had my trailblazer since late 2005 and I have had problems since day one. The day I took it off the lot I had to return because the stereo did not work; it has been downhill since.

I have had numerous problems with my Trailblazer with most centering around electrical isssues. Although I have had mysterious mechanical issues with the vehicle, these electrical problems are out of hand. Here is a short list of the issues:

- Cruise Control will be intermittently functional

- AC Power (the snowflake button) will flash then turn off, the blower does not work at all speeds and the climate control for the car also just flashes and turns off

-The driver side window panel lost all lights

-The right tail light bulb has been replaced 6 times since I have owned it ( Ive replaced two other bulbs TOTAL to the rest of my car)

-Antenna does not work despite never being taken out or damaged in any way

-CD player went from having a Tuner, CD and an AUX setting. The AUX option one day disappeared and is no longer an option. I could live with that until the CD player now won't work. It keeps the CD in the player and is no longer even a selectable option. This wouldn't be so horrible if my antenna worked. Instead, I drive 30 hours a week in silence or play things through my phone.

-I had to jump my car and the battery began smoking heavily (yes I checked to make sure the terminals were attached correctly). I naturally removed the cables, but now I was unable to retrieve my key. After troubleshooting I was able to get the key out which I was very happy about....until my trailblazer for no reason at all, with not one person or even the key in the ignition, started itself...yes people my car started itself without me touching it, being inside of it, not having a key in it and not being locked to the start position....I jumped in managed to get the key in and turn the car off. Of course now I was unable to get the key out again..I had it towed to the dealer and had to get a new battery.

-A mechanical issue I felt needed addressing was some mystery problem with my front axle or something in my wheel wells. Whenever I would make a hard turn left or right, the vehicle would sound like metal was banging into each other. It was loud enough for people to notice along a busy street, so I know I wasn't over reacting. I had my car into the same dealer 5 times. They gave me an entire new front end, problem still there. They replaced the bearings on each side, problem still there. This list could go on, but in the end it was never truly fixed. They switched my front left tire with my front right tire...that was it..not what I would call a solution...

I also had my brake pads and calipers replaced because I was having a lot of squeaking and my brake pedal squeaks when pressed. Upon having the linkage looked at and having these new brakes I was excited until I pulled out the lot and they squeaked, loudly enough for the mechanic to stick his head around the corner. I waited a week or so before to see if it was just wearing in, but eventually returned the car and got another new set of pads/calipers and to my dismay my car still squeaks. I was told "ya know some pads and caliper sets just dont match quite right"....Wow.

I recently went to a Chevy dealer to inquire about what I could do for my electrical problems stated above....well...according to them I would need an entirely new stereo, a new AC control Unit and a new Thermostat because for no reason at all mine decided to stay stuck open..permanently. All at a low cost of $2500 !! Um, no.

Sorry for the ramble, but I believe all of us who have purchased a vehicle don't deserve to go through these types of issues. No car owner should ever have multiple situations where a mechanic flat out tells you I have no idea what's wrong but we can try a few things !" Well at a grand total of $2500 I think not. Before visiting this forum I thought my problems were unique to my vehicle, but after reading about all these other people who are having the EXACT same problems as I am, Chevy needs to step and do something. I know I have come out of pocket for this vehicle for probably close to half the original value. I should have cut my losses and moved on long ago.

Any suggestions on how to maybe get my cd player working at least would be helpful. Driving around in silence in Bay Area traffic is enough to drive a man crazy.

Many Thanks in Advance.
    trlblzr05,

By chance, have you contacted GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    A reporter is looking to interview anyone with a GM vehicle that doesn't seem to accurately read fuel levels.

Please email pr@edmunds.com Friday, April 29, 2011 to share your story.
  • missin2soxmissin2sox Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 trailblazer and the service stab.trk light has come on for the third time we have had the steering postioning sensor replaced twice each time this happens we also lose heat and air. Now the first time i could accept it but the second and third is a little hard to accept that I am agian going to have to shell out over 800.00 for this sensor and another 100.00 to have a heater core flush and this is all in less than 2 yrs. Is anyone else having the same kind of problem?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I think you need to take it somewhere else for diagnosis. Those functions aren't related directly, and I don't see how "flushing" the heater core is a reasonable repair for what you describe. A heater core flush would only be done if the core was clogged with corrosion, highly doubtful for your situation. If those things are all happening at the same time I'd look to an electrical or control problem that is related to both. It MAY be just as simple as a worn ignition switch.
    missin2sox,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service