Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Entourage Starting/Stalling/Idle Problems

2»

Comments

• Has any one experience during cold starts (car park for over 6 hours) during fast idle the rpm stumbles for a couple of seconds follow by a strange smell (black smoke smell ) then goes back to normal fast idle. once the engine reaches proper operating temp. it seems to idle about 600 rpm and just runs normal and just once in a while it drops rpm to 500, but the most strange thing is the check engine light does not light up for either event. I only have about 13,000 miles on the clock. i want to take it back but with out eh check engine light on, i dont know if they would be able to figure it out.
    any sugestions are welcome.
  • I'm new to the Entourage boards: I'm in the market for a minivan and doing some research. Anyway, I own an '06 Azera with the 3.8 and it does the same rattle for a minute or two after a cold start. The rattle gets worse the colder it is. It's not too noticeable in the summer, but it is now that winter is coming. My wife doesn't notice it ( the Azera is very quiet ), but I'm an old engine guy and I notice those sort of sounds.
    I owned an '01 Tahoe which was notorious for piston slap and the Azera rattle is the same. It's due to increased piston to cylinder clearance when the engine is cold, and until the piston expands with heat it rattles a bit in the cylinder. It is not a longevity or reliability problem, and is pretty much unfixable.
    BTW, I love my Azera, I've had it for 3 years and it's been back to the dealer only for oil changes - that's why I'm looking at Entourage.
  • When commuting or traveling long distances, once at my destination when I have to slow down or stop, as I take off again the engine starts to stall, or hesitate. Not the old fashioned kicking around, knocking or hesitating of older cars, just a lack of power, if that's the way to say it. I start to accelerate and NOTHING, I continue putting my foot down and before I know it, my foot's on the floorboard and the van WILL NOT P/U SPEED, it just will not accelerate. I have to let off the pedal completely and barely, SLIGHTY, give it gas until it slowly gets up past about 40MPH and then it's ok again. This also happens everytime we are stuck in VERY SLOW traffic for about 30 min's, once we clear the traffic and start to take off, the engine will not respond to the accelerator pedal, not even when it's all the way down. 2008 V6 with almost 18k mi's, it should NOT be doing this. And the suspects are: fuel filter or fuel pump, possibly the air filter??? Anyone else having this? The local dealer is now 150 mi's away :(

As far as the knocking sound, we have had that to and after taking it to the once local dealer they did fix it (for a few months, well it started again, AFTER THE LOCAL DEALER HERE CLOSED FOR BUSINESS [OR LACK OF]). The dealer mechanic told me then that it was the blower motor inside the A/C. They kept the van for a week and supposedly ordered something for the blower motor and had to remove the dash and console in order to reach and R&R it. Like I said, the sound actually went away but now it's back.

This engine failing to respond to the accelerator pedal is dangerous. I could pull out in front of approaching traffic thinking that I am going to accelerate and when nothing happens, all I can do is watch and pray that the oncoming vehicles are able to stop in time. I don't usually pull out in front of traffic when there is a little margin in safety but eventually there comes a moment when you encounter this scenario. The point is that in all my life I have NEVER had this as a problem, now I don't know if this van is going to respond or not during a critical moment.
  • it sounds like your having a TPS SENSOR PROBLEM, whenever the sensor goes south or the voltage is erratic, it throws the car into "limp mode" once in limp mode the car wont accelerate pass 35 mph its sort of like a fail safe systems. this vehicles carry a drive by wire system with an electronic throttle control, it uses the tps sensor and the accelerator pedal switch to determine how much power to deliver and to anticipate the drivers intension and a number of other systems such as abs, esc, transmission shifting logic and even awd power distribution. there is a know problem with the tps (throttle position sensor) a TSB is currently posted under 09-FL-003-2 you can google the tsb for more info. There is also a vehicle ecu software update involved for the new sensor. You really have to take it to hyundai for this repair. hope that helps.
  • Thank you SO MUCH! I'll make an appt. at a dealer and get this fixed. To bad it's not something that I can R&R myself, like an oil filter or bulb. I just paid $500. to have a BCM (Body Control Module?) replaced and reprogrammed on my primary vehicle (UGGH). Oh well, at least I'm doing my part keeping the dealers in business COL (crying out loud). Thanks again and hopefully it's an inexpensive fix.
  • Just returned from the Hyundai dealer, they ordered an oxygen sensor, they said it's on the manifold (intake or exhaust, I forgot to ask) it wasn't in stock and they quote a simple R&R without having to program anything, no program updates or anything. After that's done, I'll post the results to see how it fared. They said a TPS issue would probably result in a VERY SIMILAR set of symptoms.
2»
This discussion has been closed.