Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry vs Nissan Altima (V6 Models)

Comments

• They just tested the new Accord and ranked the Altima V-6SE and the 4 cyl. number 1 in both 4 bangers and V-6 mid-size family sedans. Remember these guys don't advertise so they have NO allegences to anybody and can't be bought. Honda Accord had always been number 1, although in '99 Passat took it. I know MT and C&D love the other Asians, but CR gives the nood to nissan.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    That is very interesting, especially when you consider that the 07 Accord was basically tied with (or edged out, I forget which) the same Altima last year. CR obviously doesn't think the 08 was an improvement over the last generation Accord. Did CR give a reason for this? Was it only a matter of less confidence in a brand new model vs. one year old model?
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    or is it possible they just liked it more? stupid question I suppose. let the conspiracy theories begin.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Anything is possible. I don't think the 08 Altima is much different from the 07, so CR must have some reason to like the 08 Accord less than the 07. CR (or any other magazine doing a comparison) will usually explain why each car finished where it did. I would like to know, but I'm not about to go buy the magazine, just to find out.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Some excerpts for those too cheap to buy the February issue of Consumer Reports:

"The Honda Accord, redesigned for 2008, has been a standout among family sedans and easily outperforms the other cars in this month's group. But the V6 version scored one point lower than the previous version, allowing the Nissan Altima to upstage it."

"While the Accord remains an excellent midsized sedan overall, gas mileage is not as good as that of the previous model or the redesigned Nissan Altima."

"Highs: handling, transmission, ride, acceleration (V6), standard ESC, rear-seat room, driving position, visibility, controls, front-seat comfort, crash-test results"

"Lows: road noise, no trip computer (wasn't a nav equipped car), intrusive trunk hinges"

They tested an LX-P with the 177 hp I4 (road-test score 79) and an EX-L with the V6 (score 88). Their most recent Altima review, 2.5 S 175 hp I4 (score 85) and 3.5 SE 270 hp V6 (score 89) was in March 2007. Clearly, if they had tested an Accord EX with the 190 hp I4 instead of the LX-P, the road test score would have been higher.
    Clearly, if they had tested an Accord EX with the 190 hp I4 instead of the LX-P, the road test score would have been higher.

thats the conspiracy I spoke of. cause it has to be something, the accord doesn't loose. no person with a highschool education would think any car is better than an accord.
    Been to Area 51 or Roswell lately?
    what difference does that make? there is no car (past present or futrure) that is better than the accord. period. If cr liked another car more, than something is up. It just isn't possible. we need to find out who is paying off who, or what exactly is going on. this can't just be accepted.
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 226
    Several years ago (1990 era) Accord was in 1st place, than Ford Taurus. The next year the reverse was true, and so on for a few years. A few years ago Nissan was bought out by Renault. Renault is in France. I guess you could say Nissan is not Asian anymore. CU did not do a full report on the Altima V6 like the Accord, Taurus, etc. Maybe the Altima is not as reliable as the Accord.

2002 Honda Odyssey EX
    1992 Ford Taurus L 4 door 300 cu in long-stroke
    1982 Ford E150 Customized by Triple-E travel Van
    1979 Mercury Zephyr 6 cylinder 4-door sedan
    1972 Datsun 510 4-door automatic
    1967 Plymount Valiant 2-door sedan large-v6
    1965 Morris 1100
    1963 Austin 850 mini
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Are you making a point here? If so, I don't follow.

What is CU? What are you saying about the Taurus, in relation to these cars?

Sorry, I'm just really confused!
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    "Thats the conspiracy I spoke of. cause it has to be something, the accord doesn't loose. no person with a highschool education would think any car is better than an accord."

Don't you need to put a wink ( ;) ) after a statement that bold? :P
    CU I meant to be Constumer Reports. Anyways the point was Taurus & Accord were once fighting for top spot; which changed year to year. Now Altima & Accord will be fighting for top stop.

The one thing I like in CR is the customer's problems with their cars by showing the results with the back or red dots. It seems only the Asians have had no problems with their transmissions with the exception of 2 years on the Accord, Odyssey & Acura. (2002-2003).
    I forgot to mention that since Camary introduce the 5-speed automatic in 2007 they have been having big transmission problems. This is only in their 5 cylinders regular engines. The 4 and hybrd are okay. It is also happening in their Lexus vehicles.
    A few years ago Nissan was bought out by Renault. Renault is in France. I guess you could say Nissan is not Asian anymore

no, renault did not "buy out" nissan. they invested in the company by buying a 43% share while selling a 15% share of renault to nissan. renault does not own 51% of nissan, and both companies operate separately from each other.

nissan is still as "asian" as they ever were. the only difference now is, the end of each year they send renault a check equal to 43% of their net profits.
    The 6 - speed automatic in the V6 Camry has been the problem. No 5-speed issues have been posted here, that I'm aware of, at all.
  • joed6joed6 Posts: 2
    My wife used to have a civic couple bought at 60-70K, changed water pump, etc, drove to 120K+ miles w/o engine problem, touched up and sold at bought price.
    I used to own 2000 corolla VE, at 30K it had nitrigen sensor failure, wasted $300 and sent back to dealer for free replace, I see a few people has the problem. On 100K the engine started to have pop sound like axis loose, yet still droves perfect. Got 35miles/G avg at a round trip to Lake Tahoe(inc. city). This car has no other problem, battery never changed and I sold it out.
    Just went to see Camry 2008, this 2007 new model has very cheap trim, on passage side you can see edges of plastic sheet, seat space is very small due to shaped front board. Green plastics panel are used for controls and looks like 70S radio. head aig bag are contained in rect thick frames that blocks your view. Anyway, I heard the safety has top grades. I got a very good price and ready to buy, yet my wife say no.
    Then went to Accord 2008. Trim is much better, old model (2007) also good. Camry old model (2006) has better trim than its 2007-8 model. Accord price is at least $1000 higher than Toyota.
    I'll see Altima soon, anybody can tell Nission's reliability and durability? For civic/accord/corolla/camry, durability and very sale value is very good. Altima may be not. Who knows Altima 2.5S deal price in silicon valley? Thanks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    For Altima pricing, you'll want to stop by the Altima Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion.
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 227
    The one thing I like in CR is the customer's problems with their cars by showing the results with the back or red dots. It seems only the Asians have had no problems with their transmissions with the exception of 2 years on the Accord, Odyssey & Acura. (2002-2003).

We have a 2000 Honda Accord and it, too, was in the transmission class action lawsuit years (along with the 99 or 01s). It seems the Asians (Honda/Toyota) prefer class action lawsuits instead of fixing things for customers - thus the class action suits against Honda for transmissions and against Toyota for engine sludge problems. I believe the 07/08 Toyotas may have some class action suits for their 6 speed transmissions, as well. I hope they fixed the problems for the 09 Toyotas, but would be against it.
    The March 2008 edition of Car and Driver magazine has a 7-way 600 mile comparision road test of four cylinder versions of family sedans. (Yes, I know, this is a six cylinder forum)

The Accord topped the Altima, Malibu, Sonata, Camry, Fusion and Avenger in that order.
    The March 2008 edition of Car and Driver magazine has a 7-way 600 mile comparision road test of four cylinder versions of family sedans. (Yes, I know, this is a six cylinder forum)

The Accord topped the Altima, Malibu, Sonata, Camry, Fusion and Avenger in that order.
  • Can you read that review online?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    It is in the magazine, Get it, its interesting, but I am sure you can view it online
    "Can you read that review online?"

My March issue arrived in today's mail. It probably won't be on the news stands until a couple of weeks from now. It will then show up on Car and Driver's website a week or so later. They don't want to cannibalize magazine sales by having articles online too soon.
  • One thing you must always keep in mind on any comparison in a publication such as Motor Trend or Car and Driver is the fact that they will never be negative towards the people who pay their bills (i.e. Honda advertiser). An editor would never want to risk losing a revenue stream. With this in mind their evaluations tend to be a little biased.
    In a seven-way comparo, six of the seven "revenue stream" advertisers don't win the top spot.
  • jahidjahid Posts: 5
    I have found two 2007 Honda accord LX from 2 different dealers, with very similar mileage (around 13000) miles. both are honda certified. I looked one, they asked for 18,500. the second one is asking $18,500 (it was a rental car). Honda certification , is it really something worth paying few hundred extra? Does certification means it does not need a check by mechanic? If the word 'usually' is the answer, please say that.
    None of them are with a lot of options. ie, no power seating, blue tooth capability, sunroof or alloy wheels. Other than power seating I do not care about the rest.
    KBB value for trade is $15.8K and suggested retail is over $20K. I think I should not pay more than $16.5k (plus tax, tags etc)
    Feel free to aadvice.
  • Don't pay $18.5k for a used car. Buy a new 2008 Accord LX for $19.2k. Check the prices paid forum, you are better off going new.

Honda certified used cars are outreageously price. Good for us new every 3 year buyers because it keeps residuals high.
    This Camry belongs to my dad's first cousin. I thought I'd share a few thoughts after an hour's drive in it.

Interior -
    Not as bad as I had first felt. It was an LE with limited options, but the quality overall was above average, if not stellar. All the stalks and buttons moved fluidly. The grey on grey scheme inside was quite dreary though.

Steering/Handling -
    The steering felt electric. The weighting was a bit light for my tastes but definitely liveable, but the overall crispness that I've gotten accustomed to in my Accords was just not there. On the highway I found myself making little corrections at 70 MPH because the path I thought I was on, I actually wasn't. The brake pedal made me panic at first because it took so much travel (easily twice as much as the Accord) The handling was marginally better than the previous gen, but I think I'd have to take an SE to be sold on the Camry's handling.

Ride -
    This car is the opposite of the Honda. If you say the Honda is a tradeoff for 75% sport/25% ride, the Camry is the other way around, 25%/75%. It's spongy, but not completely floaty. Good for driving in the bumpy subdivision we left from, but not so great for the highway, since directional control suffered somewhat.

Engine -
    Above 3000 RPM, this thing is a monster. TONS of usable power, and highway speed has no effect on it seemingly - it pulls as hard at 20 MPH as it does at 70 when you give enough throttle for a downshift or two. Interestingly though, around town the Camry felt slower than my 4-cylinder Accord, and I'm sure this is due to the lazy throttle response programming on the Toyota, and the sharper programming in the Honda. The quiet in this car is serene, but I'd rather hear a little more of the 2GR!

Overall -
    I think the Camry is the Rodney Dangerfield of these boards; it gets no respect. Being the frontrunner in sales makes it seem like the Patriots, the bogey that other people love to hate. It's actually a great car for people looking for a luxury feel at a mainstream price.

For the record, I have a 2006 Accord EX, 2.4L, Automatic.

I hope readers find this review helpful and unbiased; I have nothing against Toyota, and I'm not a Honda loyalist - I've looked long and hard at the new Altima for my next car, and haven't ruled out an SE Camry.

Happy motoring!

TheGrad
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    Grad -- you are one balanced dude! ;) Good review!
  • Grad -

You actually would consider something other than Honda? Are you feeling OK?
This discussion has been closed.