Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Steering Problems

2»

Comments

• dimebagdimebag Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. now that you say something about the ECM that makes me think they did something wrong to my truck the last time i took it in. it had a recall that required them to reflash the ECM due to something that was wrong.ive only put about 100 miles on it since theyve done that. that does make most sense because of the way it happened.i just had no idea the ECM controlled the pressure of those items.Thanks again for the help!!!
  • dh56dh56 Posts: 7
    ofcourse, no problem. That just being the most reasonable fix I figure that the reflash is needed again so that your truck has the most updated info that it should have. Take care. write back any time.
  • briboticbribotic Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Dodge Ram V8, Hemi, Mega, etc, etc...2 weeks ago my power steering started moaning and wheezing. I checked the reservoir and noticed it needed some fluid. I added some ATF4 and noticed the moaning and wheezing stopped, but I also monitored over the past 2 weeks to see if it was leaking and indeed it is. Does anyone know how much it cost to get this fixed by a mechanic? I am not handy so I can't do it myself.

The reason I am asking is because my truck failed inspection a few weeks ago and I am about to sink money into getting the ball joints replaced and want a better idea of how much everything is going to cost me.

Thank you for your help
  • gdcdgdcd Posts: 1
    Dh56 or dimebag or others with wisdom

My power steering and brakes went out at the same time after going through a stop sign going straight. I have a 2006 Ram 2500 with a Cummings 5.9 turbo. I have the front end rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago. Is this a chip because they went out at the same time? Do they use the same or different pumps. I hate going to the dealer because of cost. If I know what the problem is I have some diesel mechanics I know that are reasonable. Just want to know where to start.
    Thanks, Charlie
  • I have a 2001 2500 with the cummins. I have now lost the power steering and brakes for the third year in a row. Each time they tell me it's the vacum pump. And the first two times the dealer has fixed this at a cost of about $3600. I can not afford to have this done again. After reading the posts here I am wondering if maybe they took advantage of me. Can anyone tell me why I continue to have this reaccuring problem, and is there any recalls on this issue?

Thanks for your help.
  • My Dodge has new ball joints and bearing but suddenly turning left is almost impossible. Dealer says new ball joints (Moog) problem but there seems to be steering issue, New PS box 3 months ago fluid good Could it be ECM issue or something else
  • billthompsonbillthompson Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    I bought a 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 with a 3" lift kit, Quad Cab, short bed, 4X4, 5.6L Diesel in March of 2006 with a $2,700 Extended service contract.

2 weeks later "new steering box" 43,000 miles - long story short I just had the 4th steering box installed and the steering is still not right. This is every 30,000 to 40,000 miles. I am talking a major "death wobble". I have raised hell about it the whole time I have had the vehicle to no avail. I love the truck but the steering needs a class action suit or a major recall to correct it.

I have an attorney that is supposed to call me on Monday. I will repost and let you know what he says.

In the meantime we need Dodge owners with steering problems to start making a lot of noise. When I have to pull my truck over to stop the death wobble with my grandchildren in the truck scared to death - Dodge needs to be stopped.
    edited November 2011
    :lemon: Dodge RAM recalls. Covers steering and suspension issues. Check out this link. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2004/dodge/ram_2500/recalls/

Still waiting for an attorney to call back. Join me. Don't let Dodge get away with manufacturing defective vehicles.

I have a 1979 Chevrolet 3/4 ton truck and the original steering works fine.
    I had a 1973 Chevrolet 1/2 ton C10 and the original steering worked fine.
    I had a 1949 Ford Woodside stations wagon and the steering was fine.
    I had a 1950 Ford stepside pickup and the steering worked fine.

The junk yard is full of old trucks that we have no problem pulling a steering box and using it.

Yet, Dodge will not fix my steering on a newer truck and I am pissed!
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Keep in mind the lift kit changes the geometry of the steering and suspension components to non-factory specifications. The extended service contract you purchased (depending on whether it's a Chrysler or third party contract) will likely not cover the steering box if it can be shown the fail,ure is due to the change in geometry from the lift kit.

I have a 2005 Ram 3500 4x4 bought new. It's unmodified and has never had a steering issue of any kind.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    edited November 2011
    Davis Dodge originally built the truck and had Les Schwab install the 3" lift kit and sold it as new.

One day in the Raley's parking lot a guy walks up to me and tells me that he used to own my truck. He said the truck was awesome except for a steering wobble.

He got rid of it and I ended up with it with 43,000 miles on it and I transferred the power train warranty and paid $2,700 for the extended warranty covering the steering. Magnussen replaced 3 steering boxes under warranty. The problem was never fixed and never sometimes has a habit out living warranties.

You are absolutely correct about the front end geometry. That is exactly what the problem is and they have yet to offer anything accept excuses and bandaids. I am told that this is under wraps and affects 2004 through 2009 RAMS.

If you Google the steering problems you will find a lot of complaints from people that can't keep their truck from shaking, wobbling and drifting.

Thanks for the reply :cry:
  • Your not the only one, I have a 2011 Dodge Power Wagon. My dream truck. I saved and haggled with the dealership to finally get it. I just hit 15000 miles. I drive down the highway at 60 hit a bump, and the my world gets rocked because my truck it doing the "death wobble". I am about to be stationed in California and have to move my stuff. It scares the daylights out of me to just drive around town, let alone drive a thousand miles. I had a 06 ram that I had to claim lemon. I hope I didn't get suckered into another piece of crap. Dodge, fix your SH*T.
  • snidzsnidz Posts: 1
    Hello all, I'm new to the blog. I have the steering issue, 2004 4x4 quad cab 5.9 cummins with tough country 4.5 lift kit installed at 50,000 miles!!! . I have replaced all tie rods, draglink, steering box with the borgeson "Dodge box", installed the dual steering stabilizer shocks, BD steering frame link stabilizer, new 20 inch wheels and tires load "E" 10 ply Nitto Crosstech, upper and lower ball joints 3 times, but not until 120,000 miles did i start having steering issues. After the third set of ball joints, the steering was like a dream, it was like a new truck again. NOT even three months later the F#%&* ball joints are out again they are MOOG. The moral of my story is that I am convinced the ball joints are the root of our steering issues, because nothing else has been replaced more than once, I think the ball joints that moog is selling are junk. I am looking into other options for ball joints, if anybody has tried or found others please let me know. Thanks for reading
  • My 2008 Ram 3500 Mega Cab has had the ball joints replaced twice, steering box replaced once and wanders like mad. The dealership has had the vehicle for three days and requires it again next week. It all started with a ball joint replacement at 80000km. Is there a solution to the problem?
  • Um, I have a 2000 Laramie pushing 200000 miles. When I bought it about 50000 miles ago, it had the same steering issue you are all talking about. I recommend replacing the control arm bushings with the ball joints. Stability from the base was key for me. The issue I have now is a failing input shaft assembly (result of three inch lift kit it had when I bought it). I live in four wheel drive country and the incorrect geometry resulting from lift kits just wears out a suspension early, although it shouldn't be as early as all this. Start from the frame and work out to the tie rod ends. Replace all the parts which are bent, broken or worn and get a good alignment. A good set of boots for your ball joints and tie rod ends to keep out the crud may help as well.

Drive safely.
  • I have a 99 Ram 2500 Cummins. Been suffering the death wobble for almost 2 years. Dodge Burlington, WA. can not figure it out. New gear box, new tie rod ends, new upper and lower ball joints, new stabilizer and a host of other things. $3000 later and there is no solution. I'm very unhappy with Dodge. Any body hear of this on any other OEM? I love the Cummins but I'm disgusted with this steering issue. I can't drive it like this. Even the mechanic freaked out when he drove it. I'm at a loss.
  • Hey guys and gals,

Is anyone having a problem with their Rack and Pinion Steering on their 2010 Ram Hemi? I live in Northern Ontario where our climate gets to -40 on a regular basis in the winter. I was travelling down the highway at 80 km and out of no where, my steering let go. It was like I was driving a truck with 1950 steering....no power steering at all...long story short, i took it to my mechanic and he told me the Ram is known for its seals to let go in cold temperatures and leak all the fluid out...the only fix ir replacing the rack and pinion. I only have 100,000 km's on my truck.....so i checked out the local dealers here in the north....and low and behold....several ram owners with the same truck as mine have had to replace their rack and pinions....this is ridiculous.....has anyone had the same problem? I called Chrysler Canada with absolutley no results whatsoever....
  • ermioermio Posts: 1
    here is what solved my death wobble problem at about 50000 miles my 2500 dodge truck hit a wash board section of high doing 70 mph and the front end started to shack really bad. brought it to dodge they said there is nothing wrong with the parts basically said i was crazy they could not duplicate the problem. did not happen all the time but under certain conditions. this went on for 20000 mile more. I had the original tires on all this time mechalins they went 70000 miles before they wore out good long lasting tire I thought. I then replaced them with cooper tires. And guessed what stopped no more death wobble. talked to a few other people they had the same cure. Before spending alot of money on other things try changing the tires I used the heavy duty coopers all season have 25000 miles on them with no problems .
    GOOD LUCK
  • I've rebuilt the front-end and look forward to the column repair. With everything replaced, my issue has been described to a tee with the you tube video. To bad that I've again changed the steering gear box thinking it was the problem.. anyone know of a lawsuit concerning this issue??
  • jdjchyjdjchy Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 ram 2500 and at about 80k I started to have a wander in the steering. Replace ball joints 3 times, Redhead steering box, track bar bushings 4 times, topgun 4 parallel link arms and bushings, SSI steering brace, rebuilt axle ujoints, borgsen steering shaft. I love the truck and would like to drive it until it dies but the steering is getting to be unsafe. After $4k in parts and many nights of tearing the truck apart trying to fix, It needs the upper ball joint again. I have used Moog and they last about 5-8k miles. I put XRF on the lowers and they are holding up so far. I bought carli uppers and I am hoping they fix the the issue. Am I missing something that I have overlooked? Anyone have suggestions? Thanks jason
  • I've spent too much money on mine and I've learned one thing, the high dollar aftermarket replacement parts are NOT worth it. I've just replaced the RH steering box (3 years old) with an A1Carden. Both have the same warranty and the extra $'s for the hi-dollar RH (which developed a hitch at center) is a wasted effort. It lasted a little over 3 years.
    The borgsen steering shaft is a nice piece but it tried to kill me (I replaced it with an OEM shaft) along with the A1 box.
    As for Moog (which are NOT the same as they used to be), I've decided to bit the bullet and get the Chrysler parts.
    Give the steering column a look and IF everything else is in place and it continues to wander, have a look at the rear-end and it's associated pieces.
    Have the front end toe set to .10 Mine was @ .04 on the driver side and .00 on the pass (and it was hunting). After it was corrected to .10, I'm not having near the problem with wandering.
  • remove the pressure hose next to the hydra booster. if there is a white tube sticking out of ther hose, replace the hose. this tube dislodges from the hose and comes forward to block off the passage causing the hiss sound you are talking about
  • i have a 2011 ram 2500, the power steering works when cold after driving 20 min or so it quits working. the resevoir on the pump melted. i have put on 5 pumps in the last month.

i removed all radiators , charge air coolers etc and cleaned them to remove dirt and mud, grass seed etc.
    installed a gearbox and a hydrabooster , still have the same problems , it keeps burning up the pump
  • jr152jr152 Posts: 2
    hey there, I would really appreciate some info on what fixed the problem with your truck, I took my 2007 ram mega cab 4x4 in for an alignment, changed out tie rods and ball joints. then.... I drove away from the shop and I have to fight my truck to make half a right turn. it turns left with no problem but making a right is almost impossible. please send info on your fix. im going nuts over here taking it to different shops and none of them can diagnose the problem. thanks....
  • jr152jr152 Posts: 2
    hey there, I would really appreciate some info on what fixed the problem with your truck, I took my 2007 ram mega cab 4x4 in for an alignment, changed out tie rods and ball joints. then.... I drove away from the shop and I have to fight my truck to make half a right turn. it turns left with no problem but making a right is almost impossible. please send info on your fix. im going nuts over here taking it to different shops and none of them can diagnose the problem. thanks....
  • You have pin pointed your issue. Locate a qualified tech/shop. There are any number of issues that may be possible. Running them down will be easier for a tech than second guessing them here.
    pc
  • Dime bag,
    I took my truck to a private garage who replaced the ball joints with some Mopar ball joints. That's when the problem seemed to get worse. Then I took my truck to to a Dodge Dealership and they replaced the steering box. The truck drove close to normal for about three minutes so we realized it wasn't the steering box. The steering box did make things slightly better though. In the end we replaced the Mopar ball joints on both sides with stock Dodge ball joints and that seemed to fix 99% of the issue. My truck's steering still feels a bit goofy to me but not like it was. My overall impression is that in order to really fix the problem I'd need to buy another brand of truck.
    Good luck!
  • Same issue. Did u ever figure it out?
  • Any chance that one of the hubs is starting to go away??
2»