Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Brakes and Rotors

Comments

• I have a 2006 Passat and am experiencing the same thing...and am shocked that they brakes and the rotors go so quickly. Does anyone know if the Passat has the same brake system as the Jetta? There are a lot of posts on here and I haven't read them all yet (just found the site) but is there a defect on the car? Is there a reason to press the dealer to fix it for free?? Help!
  • jam2989jam2989 Posts: 2
    hi everyone,
    its really funny because i just stumbled on this forum and found my exact problem that all of us have in common, i leased my 2007 vw wolfsburg edition jetta in may 2007 and i now have almost 22,000 miles on the car. my rear brakes started sounding like metal rubbing together and i realized that there was a problem. my step dad is a mechanic and he looked at the car and said that the rear brakes are shot. i had a ford explorer before this car and only needed the brakes changed once in the ten year period that my family had the car. my step dad says that a car with only 22,000 miles should not need the brakes changed so soon, especially the rear ones. and to top it off the vw dealers have special bolts on the brake parts so you can only get the done at the dealer. this is ridiculous.
  • It seems on all newer VWs the rears will wear much faster than the fronts will mainly because of how the braking power is distrubted. My solution is to either deal with it or stay away from the VWs. It's just how VW set up their brake system and it's not a defect the dealer will even take care of. I purchased the tool for the rear brakes for $25 so I'll just do it myself because if you take it to the dealer, they will agrue with you till you agree to get new pads and new rotors everytime. I had my old rotors checked and they still were far within spec after 35,000+ miles.
  • I have a 2000 Jetta GLS with 98.5K miles, purchased for my 16 year old daughter. In February I replaced the front pads and rotors. Now the rotors need to be replaced again after only 3642 miles and 5 months. The pads, however, are fine, very little wear. According to the dealer, the rotors are rusted and pitted, "due to outside influences", i.e. rain or humidity. Both VW and the dealer refuse to stand by the 12 mo warranty. They said "perhaps she doesn't drive it enough", or "it must have sat too long without being driven", both not true.

This is interesting because I also have a 2003 Jetta that sits next to the 2000 in the driveway and has none of the same problems, i.e. shaking when braking. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,025
    Kind of interesting that over on the Saab forums I see a lot of problems with the rear brakes wearing out at 20-25k also. Maybe it's a Euro thing.
  • Did you have the brakes replaced at a VW dealership or a used car dealership? If it was a used car dealership that I think was the problem. I had a buddy who worked at one place by me and the stories he told me of how what the did to get the cars off the lots were amazing, he couldn't take that so he finally let. One think he said the dealership would do is use old rotors from junk yards tad inches of rust on them and just cut them to make them look fresh (even if the thickness of the rotor was out of spec) and through some pads on them. And since they are the ones to do your inspection, you as the customer didn't know anything until it was to late. No saying that's what happened to you but I wouldn't be surprised in this day and age of cost cutting. :lemon:
  • Thanks-but the rotors and pads were replaced at the VW dealer.
  • trepinetrepine Posts: 15
    Dear Johnnytoobad,
    welcome to my world and to our club.
    You're not in El Paso are you?
    Don't worry it's just your daughter driving around with no brakes
    did the dealer specify the "outside influences", sounds like the old blame game they gave me telling me it was my fault that the brakes burned out to metal on metal in 4200 miles on a brand new 2008 jetta b/c I sucked at driving.
    Have you ever heard of customer service like this???
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

no matter what, make sure you file a complaint with the national complaint line about this (see my previous posts for number) and tell them to addend it to my file Tom Repine from El Paso TX b/c VW still believes that there isn't any known problem about this--and I'm glad to show them the error of their ways.

Thanks
    Tom
  • homerkchomerkc Posts: 113
    I'm truly sorry your dealers won't / can't fix your brakes. I can't help but think that if a VW exec read this stream, they would want to save these VW owners as customers. Probably too late for some of you. While my brakes were fixed, the dealer who did it has announced they are dropping their VW franchise. Too bad, as the next closest dealer told me the brakes were "operating within spec" even though the rims were too hot to touch after driving a few miles. I just had the brakes checked, and after 31K miles have 50% left on rears, 75% on fronts (a lot of highway miles). Warranty coverage is only as good as the dealer, and there are horror stories on this site for every marque. I'm not excusing VW - - it's their job to weed out the bad dealers, or pay the price in lost customers.
  • Thanks Tom-

I'm in Cincinnati.

The dealer blamed VW and VW blamed the dealer for failing to live up to the warranty. Dealer won't do it without VW approval and VW won't do it because dealer says "outside influences" and thus the warranty doesn't apply. Seriously, as to outside influences, I was told heat and humidity, and the driver not driving the car enough. To be fair, the car did sit one week while she was at camp. Right.

Anyway, they offered to replace one of the two rotors and I pay for the other and labor, a total of $207.00 out of pocket for me. I called Midas and they'll do the whole thing for less since I don't need pads. This "offer" was a "goodwill gesture" by the dealer, and VW recommended I take the offer. I didn't.

The problem is that I have another VW, and the dealer has serviced that one, though no brake work (yet). The cars sit in the same driveway and are generally subject to the same conditions. I drive a little farther each day to/from work. However, the one with the new rotors (3642 miles) has the problems. Go figure. Clearly something is defective.

I've owned a '68 bug, an '85 golf and now these two Jettas, and i've generally liked and enjoyed the cars. I have to rethink that now, and will certainly not use that dealer again, he who put the rusting rotors in and now won't replace them.

I'll call the hotline. Will that do anything? I dealt with the "consumer advocate" already. Nice Fellow. Felt Bad Wouldn't Bend, recommended I take the deal. Spoke to his boss. Nice Fellow. Felt Bad. Wouldn't Bend. Recommended I take the deal. Not going to. Thinking about suing in small claims court.

Thanks again for your advice.

JTB
  • jam2989jam2989 Posts: 2
    i got the car fixed today and the rotors, brakes, and calipers are shot after not even 22,000 miles. this sucks
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    OK I'm really confused. How can some people have 40,000 miles on their pads and still have some life let in them, while other say their pads are gone in less than 20,000??? I'm assuming no one is riding the brake, slamming on the brakes when coming to a stop.................you know regular easy driving.
    We just bought a Wolfsburg Jetta in July and I have noticed equal amounts of brake dust on the rims with both front and rears.
    The '03 Trail Blazer I'm driving has over 40,000 miles with the original brake pads front and rear. Also hardly any if any at all brake dust in the rear.
    If VW had a brake pad (rotor, or caliper) issue wouldn't it be found on most Jetta's and not just a select few???
    Please help me understand this problem with the brake pads.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,044
    Here is just another data point. 03 Jetta TDI, 5 sp manual with 109,000 miles. Front/rear brake pads are less than half worn. I am swagging 200,000 miles total mileage. If others are interested will post as it goes.
  • My pads are fine, its the new rotors that arre the problem.

JTB
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    Another data point:
    I'm the original owner of a 2002 GLX VR6. I put rear brake pads on at 95,000 miles. The fronts are still 70-80%.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,044
    At current comsumption, it would look like you would be north of 225,000 miles on your front pads. :shades:
  • ppro101ppro101 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T. It has been a very good car. Always had dealer service from the original dealer. Last week I brought it in for its 50000 mile service. Dealer called me and said I need new brakes on the front and it would be $560. This car is driven by my wife and son so I had them do the work. All seemed ok they also told me I needed new tires and I made an appointment to have new ones put on.

Well this morning, I was driving the car in stop and go traffic. I was creeping up on the car in front and hit the brakes. Nothing happened. Pumped them still nothing. Hit the car in front. I left the car on the side of the road and called the dealer to have it towed and checked out. I was not going to drive a car with bad brakes.

The dealer takes it to the shop and finds nothing wrong. But earlier today I was not able to get the car to stop.

I am thinking that either they did not bleed the lines correctly or some sort of debris was blocking the line preventing me from stopping.

As of now they can find nothing in the computer and nothing in the repairs. Anyone have any ideas? Although I am now quite sure that I should have brought the car to a third party to check since I am sure the dealer "will find nothing they did" to cause the problem.

I am really concerned about driving this car. In this instance I was going about 5 miles an hour. What if I was on the highway and this happened? Someone could have been killed.
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    The same thing happened to our 2002 GLX VR6, but only one time when it was about 1 year old. Unlike your situation, we did not have any brake work done prior to the occurrence. We do recall having scheduled maintenance a few days prior to it happening. The dealer found no problems and thankfully it has never happened again. I had forgot about it until reading your post.
  • Had to replace rear rotors and pads at 21,272 miles and less than 10,000 miles later I was told I need to do it again. The first time I filed a complaint, talked to VW comsumer bs advocate, and still had to pay for it. Today (after only 9,849 miles on the replaced rear rotors and pads), the service department told me I had to replace rotors and pads again and pay for it. I told them there was no way in hell I would pay for it and took my car out of there. I called VW consumer bs advocate and they told me that it is still under warranty. I'm waiting to hear back from the service department. I will post the results of this later.
  • Ok. Called service back and told them about warranty.The service tech told me that it is normal wear and tear and not covered under warranty but he would check with his manager when he got back in the office 3 days later. Meanwhile I called VW consumer bs advocate line and talked to another guy who said that "whoever told me that the brakes were under warranty was wrong and that it is normal wear and tear". I filed another complaint. VW SUCKS!!! One thing is to put out defective cars. I know it happens. But fix YOUR problem VW and treat your customers right! I will never buy another VW in my life and will tell everyone my story.
  • A mechanic looked at my GLI and said those are special heavy duty brakes
  • Sorry Spaniard.
    Welcome to our party.
    You saw my posts right?? 4200 miles and no brakes, metal on metal, damaged rotors on brand new 2008 Jetta--not only did the dealer and VW both say "normal wear and tear" but that it was indeed excessive wear...b/c I suck at driving.
    I'm wondering what the warranty actually does cover in the mind of VW??..maybe if the windshield wipers burn out at 4200 miles they'd replace them...unless, of course, I used them...which would be wear and tear and my fault again.
    BUYER BEWARE
    IF YOU ARE READING THIS
    Tom
    :sick: :lemon: :sick: :lemon: :sick:
  • Tom, yes I saw your posts and feel your pain. It just reinforces how stupid VW is. It is just plain bad business! Forget about doing the right thing and fixing your mistakes. I don't think it would be as costly for VW to fix the brake problem, as it will be losing business because of the blatant disregard for their customers.

This forum and others I've posted on are great for venting and warning potential future VW owners but I really want to take some action so that VW does not get away with it. So far I've complained to VW customer advocate people and my dealership. I've also filed a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) with their Office of Defects Investigations: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I also filed a complaint with the BBB Auto Line: http://us.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePage.aspx?site=113&id=008c749a-ea0b-40ed-9be1-65db- - 5886a6fd

I have not heard back yet from the BBB Auto Line and was wondering if anyone has used them and if they were happy with the results?

This is also an excellent website to find out about existing problems with cars and to post your complaints: http://www.mycarstats.com/

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else can be done? Has anyone tried Small Claims?

Just in case I come off as a little nuts, I have never sued anyone in my life. My motto is live and let live. But when VW looks you in the eye and tells you it's your fault that the brakes are once again prematurely worn (4,200 miles in Tom's case???) it pisses me off!!!

I'm a web developer and will be willing to create a website for pissed off VW owners. I wonder how many people this happens to that don't complain. It would be great to have one united front.

David
  • Bob, I'm sorry but don't know about GLI brakes.
  • Purchased an certified pre-loved '04 Jetta with 39,000 miles at the beginning of August, 2008 for my son. Dealer said the brake pads were approximately 11/32 or 12/32 fronts and rears when the car had the PA state inspection performed in July. Front brakes are now squealing a lot. Anybody have any thoughts on what might be causing this and what should I do? Contact Dealer? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
  • I would go back the dealer and have them check it out. Might be an easy fix or something major.
  • My advice is to take it back to the dealer as ndmike states ...BUT:
    1. expect to be asked to do a ride along to "help diagnose" the car problems--refuse, tell them to do it themselves
    by the way, tell them it started squealing about 30 minutes before you brought it in to them--DON'T TELL THEM ANYTHING
    2. expect to be told you have no brakes and will need new brakes and new rotors if squealing...300$
    3. expect to post your disgust on this thread for all of us
    Tom
  • I hate VW and will never buy a VW/Audi in my life. I own a 06 Jetta 2.5L 5spd manual and was just told that my car needs rear brake pads and rotors? The car has 34,100 miles on it and it is 90% highway mileage. I have 3mm left on my rear brake and 8mm on the front. THIS MAKES NO SENSE at all! Before this at my 20,000 mile mark I told VW that my car, when braking, the backend fish tails almost losing control (I live near the Great Lakes were it snows alot) and there is something wrong with the car's brakes, they stated that the brakes were O.k.. and not to worry. Then at my 30,000 service this is when i found out about the rear brake issue. SO Went to two different dealerships and both said that the VW Jetta is suppose to go through the rear pads before the fronts because they do not have as much thickness to them as the fronts. Total B.S. Also they stated that my car is intended to go through the rear brakes like other german cars do. B.S. My parents own a BMW and a Mercedes-Benz and have to replace there front pads before the rear pads. This makes no sense at all and I will NEVER EVER buy a VW or Audi in my life again. Please if anyone knows of a solution to this problem please let me know! I am going to talk to a judge, supreme court judge and lawyer that the family is friends with to discuss legal action against VW!
  • sign me up
    you saw my original post right--brand new 2008 car, 4200 miles, no rear brakes/damaged rotors
    VW "it's your fault"
    VW = Veneral Wart
    Tom