Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• tommyg12tommyg12 Posts: 158
    '08 Production begins in November with dealer delivery due January '08.
  • no i don't think the link is wrong. Remember it's going to be based upon the 2007 Tundra so expect the size to be bigger than the current model. I heard rumors the size will be between a Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban (size-wise). Personally I like the style of the current ('07) Sequoia but of course it won't look anything near that with the '08 model. I would expect it to offer the 5.7L 381 HP v8. So much for economy, but then when you buy a new SUV of that size fuel economy is hardly at the top of the list!
  • I don't think you can call the last two Tundras 'Industry beating standard'. I was hoping to trade my Lexus GX470 for a new Sequoia soon since I am having so many problems with it, but I'm not waiting for January. Guess I'll have to look at that Denali...
  • petro33petro33 Posts: 192
    I am interested in the '08 models. I have a '01 with 129K miles and while it still runs great, I would like the bigger engine to pull a bigger trailer than I have now. I plan to test drive the Tundra this weekend to get a feel of what the seq will be like. If the past is any clear vision of the future the two vehicles will be twins, one having a bed and the other having another row of seats and a hatch
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    The 5.7 actually gets better gas mileage in the Tundra than the 4.7 does.
    The 5.7 uses vvti technology on both the intake and the exhaust valves in order to get a better combustion chamber , so it uses less fuel over all.

But also remeber when the 2008 comes out it will have to use the new epa ratings as well , so will be real hard to compare unless you actualyy had the old seq to use as base copmarison
  • Will a hybrid drive train be offered? I have a 95 Suburban that really fits my needs, but at $120/fill-up and 14 mpg, I'm in the market for something more economical. Popular Mechanics tested the Highlander and Civic; concluding that the bigger the vehicle, the more a hybrid made sense. It's probably because of regenerative braking, shutting off the engine, and the high torque of the electric motor to launch. My Suburban replacement must be able to hold 3 child seats, a 2-up stroller, and other baby gear. The Tahoe and current Sequoia are too small: insufficient cargo space with the rear seat occupied. I hope the 2008 Sequoia will be as big as the Suburban.
  • jogibajogiba Posts: 27
    I have a 2003 Ford 4x4 diesel Excursion and 2006 Scion xB and plan on getting the 2008 Sequoia if it's based on the 2007 5.7 Tundra. I hope it's the size of the Suburban because I need to carry up to 8 people and luggage.
  • When is big too big? I say an increase in size for the Sequoia is just plain stupid! My wife just got a 2005 Sequoia Limited and it is plenty big enough. The current size with the new 5.7 engine would be perfect. The current Sequoia barely fits in my garage now and it's probably bigger than the average persons garage!!

Message to ALL car manufactures: STOP making SUVS bigger...my God their enormous now!!! Look at the Excursion, it looks like a bus. Maybe people who need bigger SUV's should buy buses!
  • From what I have heard and read, the new '08 Sequoia will be between the size of the Tahoe and the Suburban, and is based on the new Tundra. It will also have the optional 5.7L engine. I talked to a dealer in the LA area and he said they would be available in August, although that is not set in stone. Judging from the size of the new Tundra, the '08 Sequoia will definitely be Suburban-size.
  • jogibajogiba Posts: 27
    Get a clue pal, why would people need a bus to carry 8 people and their luggage when a diesel SUV is perfect.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    when a diesel SUV is perfect.

Perfection is in the eye of he beholder. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I sat in the new Tundra a couple of times thinking the interior will represent what the Sequoia will most likely look like. Hmm, pretty plastic-y. Not the quality plastic finish I've been accustomed to with Toyota although the seats, leather or cloth are much more improved over the Sequoia's weak seats. The ride however, was a nightmare. Maybe all pickup trucks drive this rough but even the salesman said "rides kinda rough doesn't it?". This was a $40,000, leather, 4.7 "regular" crew truck. You gotta be outta yer mind to buy this brick on wheels. Could Toyota be so dumb as ignore ride quality in the Sequoia too? Bear in mind it was 20 degrees outside and driven on a concrete highway, not warm plushy asphalt. The 07 Tahoe and Yukon drive quite nice most of the time but I was hoping Sequoia could perfect the SUV experience. Looking more doubtful now.
  • We currently have a 2004 Nissan Armada. We traded our Toyota 4Runner in because of towing reasons. With 3 kids in car seats, we really needed the 3rd row back also. We have been waiting patiently for the new Sequoia also. We test drove the new Tundra. What a beautiful vehicle. Just missing the 3rd row. :)
    Anyway, how did the LA dealer hear it was coming out in August. The Boston dealer had no idea or even if it was a definite.
    For the person who stated to keep it the same size. Unfortunately, if that is the case, towing capacity would not matter. The wheel base needs to increase in order to tow more also (at least in our case - towing Outback 28 foot camper weighing 700ish lbs)
  • santana1santana1 Posts: 2
    The current Sequoia is too small for my needs. I have two kids in car seats and provide day care for a third. The three car seats won't fit in the second row, and even if they did, access to the third row would be blocked. I need room for two strollers (a 1-place and a 2-place. The Sequoia's cargo area is too small unless you put the third row down. Our 95 Suburban has adequate space, but I'd like a more economical vehicle. We're looking at a Sienna minivan because it has more cargo space behind the rear seat. Any suggestions? Please don't say less kids..it's an obvious non-answer and glosses over a legitimate need.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,137
    There's some helpful suggestions over in the SUV vs Minivans discussion (there's also a bit of OT discourse there that's easy enough to scroll past).

And the Compare the CX-9, Veracruz, Pilot, Acadia, Outlook, Enclave and Freestyle discussion has a recent "three kid" thread.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Well, you can always wait for the new Sequoia to come out. I have been to several dealerships and the answer I keep getting is sometime in August/September. From what I keep hearing, the new Sequoia will be size-wise between a Tahoe and Suburban, so it will be quite a bit bigger than the current version. I guess as far as needs go it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you have. If you have an active lifestyle, a SUV would probably work better for you.
  • A Toyota salesperson I spoke with last week all but confirmed the likelihood of a 2008 Sequoia in, surprise, 2008, just like the February release of the 2007 Tundra. He said they knew about the Tundra for over a year since it's a big deal to Toyota. Visit the Toyota website and you'll see the all new Highlander is due out in August and yet the salesperson said they just found out about it themselves. He said expect a minimum of 6 months between new model announcement and delivery to dealers. This makes sense, why would ANY manufacturer release vehicles simultaneously, such as introducing a Sequoia in September when the Highlander is due in August. Each new product announcement nullifies the other. Wish it weren't true though.
  • well i guess it's all good- give me 6 more months to save! Shows that most of these dealers have no idea what's going on with their own products- pretty sad.
  • It's not sad at all, actually. It's just the way Toyota wants it. For example, when the all-new 2007 Camry was first announced, we didn't even have pictures of it. And, although the whole world had pics of it, Toyota didn't send us definitive specs on the new Tundra until about 3 weeks before they hit the ground. A customer actually directed me to links for info on the 2008 Highlander, because the company chose to reveal it at an auto show before revealing anything to the dealer network. It's a little annoying, but the secrecy/advertising scheme got everyone craving the new Tundra, didn't it?
  • true...it'll make everybody wonder what their product is going to look like, and considering Toyota is about to pass GM with overall market share, it must be working!
  • I currently have a leased 2004 Sequoia -- the lease will be up in Dec. 2007. I was anticipating getting the 2008 model but I really like the current size. Is it really expected to be so much bigger?? Why would Toyota make it bigger when it seems that people are starting to downsize a bit?

I did have a 2002 Yukon and had a hard time pulling it in without ripping off the side of the garage. I have 2 kids and I really don't need a Suburban sized vehicle -- the current size is great. Will Toyota offer different lengths like the Tahoe/Suburban?

I would look at the Honda Pilot but it seems a bit small and everyone has these. Maybe I should just lease a new 2007 model?
  • Well, if you are wondering why Toyota is making a bigger Sequoia, you need look no further than the 2007 Tundra. Toyota knew that to keep up with Ford, Chevy and Dodge they had to build a bigger pick up. And with that, they also knew they had to build a bigger SUV, with everybody else's SUVs being much bigger than the Sequoia. One of the main complaints of the Sequoia (and the LandCruiser, for that matter) has been the size and the horsepower. Think about it. Everybody else is offering v8's with at least 300 hp and the current Sequoia is only 273. And of course there are plenty of people with boats trailers, 5th wheels who would love a Sequoia but weren't quite happy with the pulling power (only 6500 lbs, currently). Now with the new one coming out with an optional 5.7L with the capacity to pull 10k lbs, here's their chance. And with the quality of Toyota to boot. Can't beat that.

The '08 will probably be in one size, somewhere between the Tahoe and Suburban. Arrival date should be September time-frame. Should be interesting to see if it is as ugly as the new Tundra!! LOL
  • suvsbobsuvsbob Posts: 12
    I'm not sure Toyota has to keep up with Ford, Chevy and Dodge is good reasoning. I'd think quite the opposite, with Toyota poised to be No. 1 this year, it's Ford, Chevy and Dodge that have to keep up Toyota. If toyota has the herd mentality, just because everyone else does it and it has to do the same, it won't keep the No.1 for long. it's time for Toyota to define the market.

I'll be happy with a new Sequoia with current size, new styling(Ugly or not) and better engine and gas mileage. Who needs a SUV which can seat a whole squadron police SWAT team anyway. :P
    I for one am looking forward to a SUV with more power. I pull a trailer that weighs 6,000lbs and i am looking for a new one with a popout. the new seq should do the trick. Not espically happy about bigger size but bigger towingf capacity is good. I have driven the new tundra with the 5.7 V8 and it is everybit as smooth as the 4.7 V8. I'm sure the new seq will drive like a truck but that is really what it is. It's just the tundra cab with a metal extension and two rows of seats tacked on.
  • sirrafsirraf Posts: 55
    The 2007 New York International Car Show opens April 4th. Let's hope that Toyota unveils the 2008 Sequoia during this event and we get to see the next generation Sequoia.
  • well with the new 5.7L coming out in the tundra, i would expect the sequoia to have it. It's quite possible that it might be previewed at the April show in NY. I know the new Lexus LX 570 is coming out next week. But who knows?
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    The 07 Tahoe and Yukon drive quite nice most of the time but I was hoping Sequoia could perfect the SUV experience.
    I've sat in the Tahoe and Escalade and the middle seating is not comfortable. That's the only reason I'd consider a Sequoia over a mid-size SUV. For trips and adults only the Sequoia, Excursion, Expedition and Surburban fit the need.

I've had a Sequoia and Expedition and am waiting to see the 08. I would rather have a shorter, not larger vehicle like the Land Cruiser in the Sequoia trim level. I'll just have to wait and see.
    How disappointing... another car show has ended and we still have no idea about when there might be a next generation Sequoia.
    I think you know the answer, but are unwilling to accept what the answer is. Look at the 2007 tundra, thats the 2008 Sequoia. It was the same for the 2000 tundra and the new 2001 sequoia.

I personally am looking forward to a bigger engine, because I want to tow a 9,000 lb travel trailer. I am not thrilled about the longer vehicle that is rumored but I guess you take what they put out or shop somwhere else. My guess is that the land cruser will be the same size as the present seq but with the bigger engine. If you want to pay the extra for all the goodies in this vehicle maby thats will work for you.
    I agree that it will look similar to the Tundra but I want to know when can we expect to see the next generation Sequoia.