Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Try putting in your phone manufacturer and service provider. All providers may offer the same phone but not all features are enabled with all providers.
    Mack
  • Options
    link title

Here's the list of all Samsung phones but I don't see a Blackjack 2 listed in this section or the section where you would connect thru the navigation system. Might have to get a new phone.
    Mack
  • Options
    hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    Sounds like a reasonable deal for our area. That's why I ended up going to Caldwell Toyota, however I think your deal sounds good with the trade-in price they gave you.
  • Options
    ddoldeddolde Member Posts: 1
    I looked at a new Sequoia in person and was not at all impressed. Possibly because I looked at the new Land Cruiser just before that but still it seems like a mammoth slug. I'd never buy one and think the review is squirrely.
  • Options
    It would appear you have no need for a large SUV with a large towing capacity. Hard to use the word "slug" with the Sequoia given its 0-60 time. "Mammoth"...yes...although many folks find that term "endearing" if they're shopping for this type of vehicle.
  • Options
    ccooke70ccooke70 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks.

The Blackjack 2 is a brand new phone and works fine with the system. It's AT&T's flagship for the smartphone platform.

The only problem is that the Toyota docs don't really give enough in depth detail on transfering your data to the system from your phone. I figured most of it out through trial and error and have is working now.
  • Options
    regrahamregraham Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for submitting the pictures. Is there any way to enlarge them or submit them larger? I tried clicking on all the little symbols below the pictures but that didn't help.

Question for mackabee: I was hoping someone would fully answer message #1183 regarding satellite radio questions. As a salesman, possibly you could do that for us?
  • Options
    1. Dealer cost is around $499.00 (I'll double check tomorrow)
    2. XM and Sirius will be available. Right now the website does not show either one but it will be available.
    3. It's a port installed or dealer installed option.
    4. the module is not visible
    5. Once installed the operation is thru the radio interface however it must be the upgrade JBL system with satellite radio capability and bluetooth OR thru the navigation system for those equipped with that option. On SR5 and Limited It shows up on the window sticker as option code EJ.
    Mack :shades:
  • Options
    3rd4rnnr3rd4rnnr Member Posts: 67
    Mack - Sirius wasnt available when I took delivery of my platinum. When I get it installed will I loose anything ? (meaning the AUX port for iPod, the rear-seat DVD etc) or do they have a free port for it already ?
  • Options
    I checked with my parts expert and we looked it up. BOth Sirius and XM are available. Funny thing was we couldn't pull up the price for the Sirius although we had the part number for the kit. I think it was just a glitch on our side. The cost for the XM is $310.00 plus installation which shouldn't be more than an hour to two hours. The Sirius will be about the same. You will not lose any features of your Sequoia. You will access the satellite radio from your navigation screen. The kit connects to the back of the nav system and the receiver will probably go under the passenger seat.
    Mack :)
  • Options
    gldwinggldwing Member Posts: 13
    I just read an article on today's MSNBC page- Consumerman re: Extended warranties. This link is part of that larger article. It indicates were you can get very low extented warranties for toyota (as well as others). Here is the link http://www.checkbook.org/auto/ExtendedService.cfm
    I did not have time to research it-late for the airport. It does list a phone number.
  • Options
    FYI,

Good article on extended warranties. I contacted the Toyota dealer in the post above from gldwing. Sounds like a good guy and very informative. His price on the 7yr/100K/$0ded extended warranty for a 2008 Plat Sequoia is $1040 ($100 above dealer cost or $810 under msrp). The price from the dealer contact I provided earlier (Troy Dietrich) in this thread sells the same warranty for $990 or $50 over dealer cost ($860 under msrp).
  • Options
    bumpkinsbumpkins Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2008 Limited two weeks ago. I have a question out to the group here. While familiarizing myslef with the engine compoartment and dipstick locations etc.. I noticed the hood is not insulated with the normal black insulating material found in every other car/SUV I have owned. It appears the fastening holes are present and drilled in the hood but there is no insulating materials to dampen the engine sound and server as a fire shield in the event of engine compartment fire. Can anyone else confirm whether this is normal and whether you have this part installed under your hood? Thanks.
  • Options
    skookumskookum Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone bought the cargo cover accessory for the 2008 Sequoia? If so, can it be used from the back of the 2nd row seat to extend all the way back to the hatch? Or is it intended only to be mounted from the 3rd row seat?

Thanks.
  • Options
    "Has anyone bought the cargo cover accessory for the 2008 Sequoia? If so, can it be used from the back of the 2nd row seat to extend all the way back to the hatch? Or is it intended only to be mounted from the 3rd row seat?"

I had a cargo cover that came standard with my Denali XL. It's still sitting in the garage where I placed it 5 years ago when I brought the Denali home from the dealer.
  • Options
    skookumskookum Member Posts: 4
    At times on my old Pathfinder it would sit in the garage as well. But at times when I leave the car out hours at a time (fishing), I would prefer to cover my gear that's left in there (what little deterrent that it is). Break ins are pretty prevalent here (Western WA) among hunters and fishermen who leave their vehicles for a couple of hours a stretch. Would love to hear of other options to secure one's stuff.
  • Options
    A gun maybe? :blush:
  • Options
    mtufenkmtufenk Member Posts: 14
    Since nobody has answered your question directly, I will give it a try. I have the cargo cover option on my 07 Sequoia. It can be used to do both. It has two sets of mounts - one behind the second row and one behind the third row. You mount the cover in either set depending upon what you want to do. I am sure the 08 is the same way.

I by the way use it quite a bit. I leave it in place when not in use, it does not really get in the way of anything.
  • Options
    3rd4rnnr3rd4rnnr Member Posts: 67
    How does your cargo cover not get in the way of anything ?? A big bulky pole intersecting the width of your truck's cabin doesn't get in the way ? My cargo cover grave-yard is under the stairs in my basement, I believe 2 still reside there (I keep forgetting about them when I traded in my last couple 4R's.) My feeling has always been if you have the big official cargo cover hiding something, its basically saying - "YOHOO, I AM HIDING SOMETHING VALUABLE !" - to would be theives. So my cargo cover has always been a dirty sweatshirt or blanket which has woked thus far and is easier to stow. By the way my Seq has a couple hidden compartments as well. One is pretty big too.
  • Options
    reggie6reggie6 Member Posts: 26
    I have a cargo cover graveyard too, in my attic above my garage. If you are carrying cargo with the seats folded down, it just gets in the way. Too bad they can't design a concealed storage area for it. Oh well, fold flat seats that store ( which GM couldn't figure out on their updated large SUV's) is a dream come true for my back!

Wonder why GM couldn't do this? Does it have something to do with the (lack of) independent rear suspension?
  • Options
    keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    Yes, and from what I recall reading when the new GM SUVs came out, they were "rushed" to the market help GM's bottom line and GM did not have the time nor the $$$ to R&D a proper IRS. Thus, they went the tried and true route with the live axle.
  • Options
    FYI, the dealer's now have 2008 Sequoia brochure's. It's not worth going out of your way to pickup one since there's nothing particularly special about it, but if you are passing a dealer it might be worth getting one.
  • Options
    shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Thanks Hdfatboy, I've been there, and definitely walked away with the same impression.
  • Options
    brspottsbrspotts Member Posts: 6
    The tread to tread diameter is the same for the 20" and 18" wheels. Other than looking better there is no performance difference with the 20" wheels. We did not want the 20" wheels, but you cannot get a Sequoia Limited with the 18" wheels if you want the NAV.

Barry
  • Options
    Barry, your dealer can factory order a Limited with NAV without 20" wheels if he/she is motivated to. It's not a typical option combination, but the truck can be ordered that way. Are you sure they are not trying to push you into a unit that they already own or have on the way in from the factory already? Convince them that you aren't going to buy a truck from them if you can't get it the way you want, and see what happens.
  • Options
    Just got my 08 Plat yesterday with the Plat 7/yr -100,000 mile warranty. The warranty was as advertised $ 1040. Lots of bells- now all I have to do is figure out everything. I had a 02- what a difference. Taking it our for 1/2 hour ride is one thing, but driving it all day is another- very happy with it so far.
  • Options
    keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    Congrats! What colors?
  • Options
    The colors are pyrite mica- turns out that is the one used in the commericals. I will tell you- bells, switches, buttons are all over the place. Still have not figured out what they all do. Got a very good deal- about $ 800 over invoice. I have seen this vehicle in their inventory for a while. While I really did not want the navig. and rear audio- it all came with this package. All in all - a good deal.
  • Options
    Congrats, Gldwing! What do you think of the cooled seats (or are you in a cold part of the country where you really can't tell yet?)
  • Options
    We are in the Washington DC area. So, we are using the bun warmer. We'll wait for a couple more months before we try them. Learning all this is a hoot.
  • Options
    I asked my dealer about the cargo cover and he showed me where it hooked up. It connets behind the 2nd row seats on the side walls. It extends to the back of the vehicle and will store in the small floor compartment in the back of the SUV when you need to use the 3rd row seats. I plan on getting one when they have them in stock.

What I want is a bug shield and a set of husky liners for the 08 Sequoia but have not been able to find those yet.
  • Options
    What??! your salesperson didn't go over the features with you on delivery? Bad salesperson.
    Mack
  • Options
    The merger between xm and sirius has been held up by the government. Becasue of this, lots of dealers were tied to xm agreements and still have to go that route. I had sirius and ordered it with my Sequoia. My dealer called me ant told me they could only install XP at this time until the merger goes through. So far, xm is not bad. I will miss my nfl channel and all the nfl games though.
  • Options
    rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    Optional on the Limited and standard on the Platinum are "puddle lamps" built into the bottom of the rear view mirrors.
    We have the Platinum and I've never seen them come on yet, is there a switch or something to turn them on.
    I would assume that they would be activated when you unlock your car and be timed to go off after a short time. Anyone know how this works?
    Also I find it strange that the Sequoia doesn't have an internal gas lid release to help prevent tampering/stealing your gasoline, which is getting rather expensive. I suppose I could find some kind of locking gas cap but the internal release would have been much better.
  • Options
    Does the gas cap cover lock when the vehicle is locked?
  • Options
    re: gas cover lock- it looks like the old fashioned cover- there is no other switch that I could find.
  • Options
    My lights under the side mirrors come on when I unlock the doors.

I too was surprised to see no locking gas door ar at least a locking gas cap. I plan on getting a locking cap.
  • Options
    vernschillingevernschillinge Member Posts: 66
    I am about to take the plunge on an '08 Platinum and am in intense negotiations with the local dealer. Have a quick question for any Platinum owners out there -- Are the 7 Passenger floor & Cargo mats standard in the Platinum or are they an option?

Thanks much
  • Options
    I purchased my Plat. yesterday. No, floor mats-nor cargo cover-are included. They are options. I asked that they include the all weather mats and cover. They said yes. they are on order and should be in on Wed. due to the holiday.
  • Options
    I purchased my Plat. yesterday. No, floor mats-nor cargo cover-are included. They are options. I asked that they include the all weather mats and cover. They said yes. they are on order and should be in on Wed. due to the holiday.

Much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    The mats are not included however there is a Factory Preferred Accessories Package (Z1) that includes the following:
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Cargo Mat
    Door Sill Protector
    Cargo Net
    First Aid Kit

MSRP = $368
    Dealer cost = $295

I purchased it with my Platinum and the dealer included it in my purchase for $320. I hope that helps.
  • Options
    curtcfcurtcf Member Posts: 4
    After owning our Limited Sequoia for about 1 week, my wife drive the mirror into the garage and scratched the black portion of the mirror pretty badly. I called the local Toyota dealer and they informed me that the entire mirror assembly would have to be replaced, to the approximate tune of about $1,200. Does anyone know if there is anyway to replace just the housing and not the entire assembly, or if the plastic could be repaired. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    It's really hard to beleive it could cost anywhere near that. While it might very well be true that they only sell the complete assembly, I think with a little bit more research you will find the entire mirror costs in the $200-$400 range, and that it should be roughly an hours worth of labor to replace it. Call a different Toyota dealer dealer, ask for parts, and ask if they have one in stock (doubtful they will), and then ask for the price (if they looked it up for availability, they will already have the price in front of them, instead of just guessing). Let us know what you find out.
  • Options
    I tried to look it up on the internet, but could not find any parts listings for '08 Sequoias yet. But I was able to find it for an '07 Land Cruiser, which is also body colored as I think the Limited is. They show only the entire assembly or just the glass alone being available, and that's typical. MSRP is $228.09. The '08 Sequoia may not be an identical mirror, but there's no reason to believe the price would vary too much. You might want to price shop the mirror, and when you get it, have your body shop replace it. I would expect you wills save money on both the part and the labor. Please let us know what happens.
  • Options
    I am close to closing on a deal with a local dealer. One of the things that has me nervous is that the dealer is going to install the rear entertainment system and XM radio tuner once the vehicle is delivered to him. He has promised that this is the exact system that is port installed and not some aftermarket add on. Before I take the plunge can any of you folks with rear entertainment system please comment on the following:

1. As far you know, does the picture below accurately represent the rear entertainment system in your vehicle with the 10" screen?

2. Does the system integrate at all with the navigation system or is it stand alone?

3. What are the options in terms of sound delivery? Does the sound play back only through the wireless headphones (2 pairs) or can the audio play though the JBL system?

4. How about control? Is the entire system just controlled by a remote control or can the system be controlled from the dash?

5. Is there any scenario under which the Rear entertainment system comes installed from the factory and not port installed? Dealer swears that they are only port or dealer installed.

6. If the answer to #2 above is no, are you aware of ANY FACTORY option where the rear entertainment system does integrate with the NAV?

7. Anything else I should know about the system?

I am not looking for any surprises at the time of delivery and want to make my expectations clear with the dealer upfront.

Many thanks.
  • Options
    brad701brad701 Member Posts: 20
    I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you that your dealer can order it factory (versus port) installed, even on the SR5. If it were me, so long as you can wait for your truck, I would opt to have it factory installed (where they are "experts" because they install them all day long) versus risking a tech at the dealer butchering the job because he/she never did it before. I would also seek out a more honest dealer.
  • Options
    mtufenkmtufenk Member Posts: 14
    .....how does your cargo cover not get in the way of anything ?? A big bulky pole intersecting the width of your truck's cabin doesn't get in the way?

Becasue it mounts directly up against the rear of either the 2nd row or 3rd row (depending on the position you want).

It would only get in the way if you had the 2nd or 3rd row folded flat.
  • Options
    jd08limitedjd08limited Member Posts: 19
    I have been meaning to ask this, but on my 08 Limited, there is a sticker on the side rear window that say ECP-entire car protection. It mentions etching, etc. Anyone else have this? I never mentioned it to the dealer and was just curious about its value.
    Thanks, JD. Still loving this vehicle!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've seen etching kits around for $10 and for a while the cops would do it for free.

But like you say, not a lot of insurance companies (or people) see much value in it.
  • Options
    Just another example of a stealer (oh, sorry, I mean dealer) trying to stick an unknowing customer with wildly priced dealer installed options of questionable value and/or neccesity. Buyer beware.