Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Thank you. Maybe I should become a consumer advocate.
    :blush:
  • Cancel that service contract. The finance person is just stringing you along hoping you don't act and cancel the service contract before your refusal rights expire. The refusal rights vary, but you must jump on this right away or you're stuck with your decision. Having purchased aftermarket service contracts myself before factory extended warranties were offered by manufacturuers, I can tell you they all have a cooling off period, but they vary by contract. Does the service contract material they gave you have a contact number, or did your selling dealer conveniently forget to enclose the material? Also, after you cancel the service contract, get your factory extended warranty elsewhere as they don't deserve any more of your money IMO. Reluctantly, your future may involve lawyers, district attorneys, and the state attorney general, but you must act quickly to get the service contract canceled.

At this point the sale is done and you're driving a new used vehicle, they got their money, and they're hoping you'll go away. On another note, I'm jealous, so enjoy your Sequoia.
  • One more thing. Call Toyota corporate @ Phone: 800-331-4331 and tell them your story, specifically that you requested a Toyota factory extended warranty in good faith, and when you got home you found out you were sold a different bill of goods. Do this asap. Also, don't discuss the ding thing and upholstery wear and tear coverages, as you'll probably have to live with those choices.

This recommendation may or may not help as Toyota probably doesn't care what the dealer sells you other than the vehicle, but if you just purchased the vehicle in the last couple of days and were specific about the manufacturers extended warranty, they may be very interested.
  • trebor129trebor129 Posts: 176
    Yeah, I would certainly want the factory warranty or nothing at all.
  • OK,
    I've taken your advise and called the Manager at the dealership and explained it all to him and he was very concerned and went to work for me to get it fixed.
    Thanks to his understanding, and maybe a little concern about a survey Toyota was sending me, I was able to finnaly get Toyotas' best bumper to bumper warranty plus $416 back on the difference between the Toyota warranty and the Advantage warranty.
    A great big THANK YOU to all who came into help me out on this with good advise and support when I was feeling like such a dumb, well thanks a lot for the help!
    Great forum!
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Posts: 324
    That's really great to hear. Credit to you for following up with the manager. Sounds like they did the right thing by you. That's the real value of a forum like this....helping one another out with information that can be used to address issues, solve problems or generally better understand the world around us as it relates to the topic at hand.

Glad to hear this forum was able to help out in some small way.
    That's the last resort. Wave the survey over their heads and see how fast they come to your help.
    :)
    Mack
  • toddhmtoddhm Posts: 35
    Mack, you obviously have a lot of experience with Toyota products. Has Toyota ever been known to make any changes, however minor, to any of its vehicles for the second model year? Do you think the 2009 Sequoia will be the verbatim same as the 2008 model? Also, what is your take on the rumor that there could be an extended length Sequoia in the next few years?
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Yes. The 2003 4Runner gauges are very hard to read during the day when you are wearing sunglasses. For 2004, the 4Runner gauge lights are on all the time, making them easier to read.
  • gldwinggldwing Posts: 13
    It is interesting that the papers and TV media have reported on the Detroit Car Show and the need for smaller and more fuel efficient cars. My question is ( perhaps to early to tell): give the economy, gas prices and size of the new 08 Sequoia - what are the probablities Toyota will downsize the current model? If I was an Exec @ Corporate- I would be scratching my head.

I would also like to thank all of you for contributing to this fourm. I have been following the treads and all are very helpful

I have an 02 Sequoia and thinking about moving to the 08- but questions are everywhere.
  • I am looking to buy a black platinum 2008 sequoia with beige interior. My dealer says they are only making the red rock and grey interiors. I saw the list of combinations they are making and it does not have any tan (beige) interiors. Does any of you have this combination?
  • I am also in that situation. I have a 2001 sequoia with 167000 miles and would like to buy the new one. My best bet is that they will come up with a diesel and or a hybrid in one year. Unfortunately I cannot wait that long.

If you buy a smaller SUV such as the pilot, explorer or highlander you get a couple more mpg but lose out on space.
  • Hi
    Posting #806 by 3rd4rnnr said he has a black Platinum w/ tan (sand beige) interior on order. I replied to his posting (#807) requesting he post pictures. I am interested in the same color combination but my dealer said the same as yours. I am in Canada, are you? Perhaps different areas or USA can get that combination but it is n/a in Canada.
    It will be interesting to see if 3rd4rnnr gets his.
  • yes, i have Black/beige platinum. i had to order about a month ago.
  • sure, I will be happy to post pictures. i will have to figure out how to do it first. can anyone give me a quick and easy way on how to post pics as i have never done it..
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,879
    The Help FAQ explains it better than I can:

Post a photo in the forum.
    ----
    The easiest thing to do is go to your CarSpace page and follow the prompts to upload the photos from your computer to your free CarSpace album. Then we can get fancy from there. :shades:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• According to Toyota Customer Service and posts I've read here, the console is not removable on the platinum models. I find this amusing as I have a 2006 with 2nd row buckets and removed the console from the beginning to ease access to the third row. In fact, I rarely see a Sequoia with 2nd row buckets with the console in place. And Toyota's media release said engineers lived with families to see how they used the current model. What a joke. Now my question as I have not seen a platinum in person yet. Can someone out there with a platinum tell me whether the console can be unbolted and the heated seat wires tucked away? I can't imagine they are supplying two different carpet layouts underneath for the limited and platinum. I'm trying to avoid giving up the driver memory seats by going with a limited as my wife and I switch vehicles often. If memory seats aren't on the limited as I've also read, maybe this engineer was sitting on a couch for 6 months watching Tivo as the families were out in their Sequoia.
  • amheck1amheck1 Posts: 44
    On a similar note, could someone help me figure out, in regards to the 2nd row, what is standard and what is optional for each of the 3 trim levels?

I went to a dealer this week, and they had a few of each trim level. All where the same.

SR5 had bench seating. Limited had bucket seats with no center console. Platinum had captains chairs with center console.

I do have to say, the Limited look lind of odd. THey may not have had the center arm rests down, but it looked kind of like a bench seat, with just the center removed. They weren't really what I would consider captains chairs.
    In my 10 years selling Toyotas the only minor change I recall was to the 2003 4Runner SR5. This came with the gray plastic overfenders as opposed to the painted ones like on the Limited. Toyota received numerous complaints about them and in mid model year they changed them to color key like the Limiteds.

The 2009 will be the same as the 08. I have heard rumors about an extended lenght Sequoia but nothing concrete. Maybe a diesel or hybrid in the future ;)
    Anything I find I will post here first.
    :shades:
  • [quote] According to Toyota Customer Service and posts I've read here, the console is not removable on the platinum models. [/quote]

This is CONTRARY to everything I have heard... It defeates the purpose of the second row captains chairs folding flat... I have always heard that the center console in the second row is removable...

Now if the DAMN AUTO TRANSPORTER would ASSIGN a truck driver to my PLATINUM sitting on the EAST COAST for 4 weeks now, I might actually be able to drive it!!!! I'm STILL waiting for a truck driver to pick up my vehicle posted on the national auto transport board for 4 weeks!!!
    You have it down. SR5 bench, Limited buckets no console, Platinum buckets and center console.
    Mack :shades:
  • amheck1amheck1 Posts: 44
    Thanks as always Mack. So that's the "no if's, and's, or but's" answer. i.e. no additional options on any trim level.

Aaron
    Aaron, I don't know if I understand the question. You mean as far as the center console and bucket seats are concerned? If it's just the center console issue then it's as I posted in the last message.
    :)
    Mackabee
    I've been inside several Platinums and test driven one. I've also been inside several Limiteds but none with 2nd row captain's chairs. I currently have a Platinum on order for delivery in Feb.

The Captain's chair option in the Limited does not include a center console (it also does not include 2nd row heated seats). The seats do fold flat and level with the 3rd row seat when it is retracted. There is however a gap in the floor between the 2nd row captain's seats when they are folded flat.

The captain's chairs with center console in the Platinum also fold flat and level with the 3rd row when retracted. The center console is not considered a removable unit as it incorporates the wiring for the heated seats. The console has both a hinge on the front and the rear of the console. The upper rear hinge allows the console to be opened from the front to expose a compartment. The front hinge is lower on the console. The purpose of this hinge is to allow the console to "clamshell" open. This action results in the console being level with the 2 captain's chairs when they are folded down giving the Platinum Sequoia a reasonably flat surface from the rear hatch to the front seats, unlike the captain's chair option in the Limited which leaves a large gap.

Here's an article that describes the console operation: "The Platinum has an optional center-row console that opens 180 degrees to create a tray for passengers and also allows for a flat cargo floor."

http://features.us.reuters.com/autos/news/95ED98EE-A837-11DC-BCB3-4F218271.html

A picture is worth a thousand words...if you carefully at this picture you'll be able to see how it clamshells' forward to become flat when the 2nd chairs are folded down. (FYI, this is the Red Rock interior with black carpeting and black lower door panels.)
    http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-toyota-sequoia/489604/
  • reggie6reggie6 Posts: 26
    I just came from the local dealer ( NY Metro Area) and got a first hand look at the new Sequoia. They did not have any Platinum editions but my impression of the vehicle was mixed. Overall I like it and feel it is a big improvement over the previous model. I did not drive it today , I plan to return another day for a drive.

When looking at this SUV from the front I think of a big massive masculine truck. It is very imposing to look at. From the rear, I think it looks more feminine and I am reminded of the Highlander. It doesn't match. From the side, its nice but something is missing. I can't put my finger on it. The dealer said the Platinum will not have anything on its body to differentiate itself from the other models. I find this a bit disappointing.

As far as the interior, I like the fold flat design for the third row ( almost flat) and it is wider than my Yukon Denali XL for storage. I can't believe the Platinum can not be ordered with a bench. I need the combination of fold flat design to carry things and the bench for carpooling kids. I am very disappointed and hope they change this.

The overall look of the dashboard I felt was inferior for a vehicle of this price. It has a cheap feeling to it. The redesigned Escalade/Yukon has a much more refined and elegant look and feel. I am anxious to see the slate color and cassis red color.

I am looking forward to the test drive and expect the transmission to be very very smooth and strong.
    Reggie,

I think your perspective is spot-on regarding the new Sequoia (or at least it matches my view). The interior look is better in the GM products (I actually like the interior look & feel of my 5 yr old Denali XL better than the new Sequoia). However the interior design of the new Sequoia is far better than the GM products.

More leg room and seat adjustments in both the 2nd & 3rd rows of the Sequoia vs the Yukon or Yukon XL. Its quite a shame that GM has a larger vehicle in the Suburban/Yukon XL/Denali XL yet the interior space is so much less than the Sequoia. Even though the Sub has a greater volume it really is unuseable since the second row seats do not fold level with the floor once you've gone to the trouble of lugging the 3rd row seat out of the vehicle.

This last point was the deciding factor for me to go with the Sequoia. Also the fact that the Sequoia has a more flexible drivetrain, higher tow rating and Bluetooth helped in my decision. Most everything else is a wash (including price). If the interior design, drivetrain, tow rating and bluetooth are non factors for you, these 2 vehicles would be a coin toss or would be decided by the aesthetics which are different for everybody.
  • gananganan Posts: 20
    Per the Toyota web site: 2nd row seating

SR5 : Standard: Second row bench, no option for captains in second row
    Limited: Standard: Second row Bench; Optional : Buckets with no console
    Platinum : Standard: Buckets with console; no option to have bench.

It is disapointing not to have a 2nd row bench option in the Platinum model. Although you can load a Limited with most of the Platinum features, apparently the H-TEMS suspension in the Platinum is not available as an option on the Limited.
  • trebor129trebor129 Posts: 176
    So I guess all the Denalis I was making fun of for being tacky with lipstick on a pig were 2007 models. I just saw a really nice looking Yukon Denali, and walked up to it and looked in the window. WOW. The interior was not tacky at all! At my casual glance it just seemed awesome and much better than the Toyota. Must be new for 2008. I never even considered looking at them because of the models up until now. I should have considered them.
  • eagle34eagle34 Posts: 22
    I drove an 08 Denali and while it was nice looking inside, it was a real piece of crap on the road. I am an old gm nut since '79 and that denali drove like my old 91 silverado did. It handled loosely, the steering wheel wood felt like it was seperating from the leather, the exhaust noise was getting old quickly and I found myself in sixth gear with that awful exhaust drone at 35 mph. Kick it down to get it out of sixth and it downshifts abruptly and goes right back to sixth. You did well to buy the Sequoia especially if it drives as well as my Tundra. Great powertrain. I fear for the future of gm if they continue to turn out vehicles like this. Read some of the escalade forums, its not good.