Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• You can get the power liftgate on the Limited and I forget if you can on the SR5. Mine just does not have it. Yes it is nice. I feel like such a [non-permissible content removed] I have to exit my car to open the back door.
  • if you dont mind me asking, how much did you get for your 4Runner on your trade ?, I also traded in my 4R (2003 Limited V6 with 116,000 miles)
  • Whoops...should have clarified. I didn't trade in my 4Runner. We previously had a 4Runner (mine) and RAV4 (my wife's). When the second child came along, my wife hijacked the 4Runner for the extra space. We traded the RAV4 in for the Sequoia (and I get my beloved 4Runner back). Sorry for the confusion...

Picked up the truck this afternoon and it is just incredible. Love it. Heading out on a road trip tomorrow...can't wait.
  • keg97keg97 Posts: 189
    Has anybody figured out if there is a way to switch out the captains chairs in the Platinum for a bench? We have a Artic Frost White Pearl in the garage right now (as a overnighter) and my wife likes it (and only wants that color), but we both agree that we need a bench seat.
    I have to be honest....I did not talk price yet b/c I'm not sure that I want the Infiniti yet and I don't want to waste my time while they "work up a price". I'm supremely confident though that I'll be able to get the truck at or below invoice. In fact, I may wait until after 1/4/08 b/c Infiniti's incentives run out then. I'm assuming that with the economy continuing to struggle, that new car sales, especially of these beasts was worse...thus improved incentives.

Right now though, we are still leaning towards the Infiniti; There is no comparison btwn the two on cabin luxury. The Infiniti blows away the Seqouia- nicer materials and more toys. We also prefer the nav system in the Infiniti...it just seems more intuitive.

But the Sequoia has a great drivetrain and probably drives a wee bit better than the QX (love that adaptable suspension!). Plus the 2nd row flexibility on the Sequoia and 3rd row comfort are most impressive. I don't like being forced to get captains chairs on the Platinum level.

In the end though...two great trucks. My wife (she's not a car person per see, but she is a driver's driver) and I both gained more appreciation for the Sequoia on this overnight excursion.
  • sirrafsirraf Posts: 55
    The perfect vehicle for us would be artic white with the 2nd row bench seat and no sunroof. We have looked at the super white but it is just too plain looking. The sunroof is an option with the Limited but to get one with navigation and the rear seat entertain it would have to be ordered.

Why Toyota does not have an optional bench seat in the Platinum is a mystery to us.
  • have you checked out the Infiniti QX56 "prices paid" forum? I did, just cause it was mentioned here, and I wanted to see what sort of prices people were getting on this truck. Unless I read it wrong, it seems most dealers are working off MSRP and not going too far from it. I didnt know that went on these days, especially on a truck (which I think Ive heard) has kind of a shotty repair/track record.
    I've followed the prices paid on the QX and to be honest.....I still am convinced that I will be driving the deal and getting invoice or lower. I'm willing to drive an hour or two to get it, but I have the feeling that what will transpire is that I'll get a better price from an outside my area dealer and my dealer will be forced to match it. I've played this game before and I've always won out. Not to sound like a conceited jerk, but consider the entire economic landscape and tell me why the dealer has any sort of control. I don't "have" to buy today, tomorrow, or even next month. Especially when they have 10 QX's sitting on their lot.

One other reason why I'm so sure that I can do this truck at invoice is that I've already gotten an offer from an out of market dealer back in August at invoice. That was back when the Technology package was very hard to come by and the new redesign was quite fresh..
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Which options are you looking for ? Try searching out of your region. Southeast toyota does weird packaging since they are privately owned.
    Mack :shades:
    I'm not sure, it probably can be done but it will be very costly. Call the parts department of your Toyota dealer and ask them how much the bench seat will cost plus related parts and installation. You may want to keep what you got.
    I find it very interesting that buyers looking at Toyotas are always comparing them to to entry luxury editions of other manufacturers like Infinity, Acura, Lexus, etc. Yet they don't want to pay the price for a Toyota. :confuse:
  • I'm pretty sure the Armada isn't in the same class as the Sequoia. Maybe that's because I'm a pretty big Toyota fan and a current owner. I'm not getting too close to my desired payment on the 2008 Sequoia's so I started looking around, and came across the Armada.

I'm looking at a 3 year lease, so reliability isn't really a concern to me. The Armada seems to have DVD and a nice Tech/Nav package for around the same price as a base Sequoia Ltd. I haven't driven either one, just curious if anyone else here has.

Suppose I'll be doing some dealer visits today/tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
    Aaron
    You have to have some differentiation between trim levels that's why.
  • votovoto Posts: 2
    My wife just bought a Black Platinum fully loaded. We paid way too much for it but she has been waiting forever. Anyway, my question is has anyone else had a problem getting the XM sat radio to work. When I push the AM/SAT button I can't get it to change to Satellite so I can retrieve my satellite ID. I called the dealership and they say it is XM Equipped. I can't imagine that I just paid $60,000 plus grand for a car that has not included the XM equipment. I called the XM people and they say they need the radio Id first. Anyone else with a platium, can you help me out?
  • Now that you mention it, how do I hook an iPod to the audio system? I see the AUX jack but it looks like a female rca stereo plug?? Ummmmm, how do I hook an iPod to that? Please don;t say you connect it via the headphone jack and have to buy some sort of adaptor cable, that is lame... But if I do, what cable do I need??
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,679
    After I drove the Sequoia, we went and drove the GX470. Too small and over priced compared to the Sequoia. We liked the Lexus color. When I mentioned that the paint had a flaw in the hood the salesman said it can be fixed under warranty. Matching a factory pearl paint job is near impossible. We left and waited for email responses on the Sequoia. Not that many non luxury competitors in the Sequoia size class. The top of the line mainstream cars and SUVs are usually very close to the luxury counterparts.
    I don't want to pay full price for any automobile, especially not in today's market. If I was trying to get a brand new Corvette ZR-1...yeah I'd pay full price and then some. No way for a common SUV.

As for comparing Toyota to the luxury brands....that is how Toyota priced them. A loaded Platinum is 60K. Guess what that directly competes against? Escalade, Denali, Mercedes GL450 and GL320, Infiniti QX56, Lincoln Navigator. All of those are all within a couple grand. That merely highlights my assertion that Toyota either overpriced the these SUVs or they did not put enough in the Platinum to differentiate it from the lower Sequoia models or compare well to the luxury brands that play in this neighborhood. Plus, you get a lousy 3yr/36K warranty compared to at least a 4yr/50K for the others. Yet another of my feelings that Toyota is in over their head here. Then again,,,the market will make that decision quite obvious.

As for the poster looking at the Armada....you'll like them. The QX is based upon the Armada so you get the same powertrain and a similar interior- not as nice as the QX, but similar.

Is the Armada as good as a Sequoia with similiar equipment? Not in my opinion. The Armada's trump card will be that they are dealing them well under invoice. They have something like 4500 rebate on them right now. I've seen where people are getting a 51K sticker price down to just around 40K. It is honestly difficult to say that a QX at 51/52K is 10K better than a loaded Armada, but we prefer the extra luxuries on the QX.
  • "As for comparing Toyota to the luxury brands....that is how Toyota priced them. A loaded Platinum is 60K. Guess what that directly competes against? Escalade, Denali, Mercedes GL450 and GL320, Infiniti QX56, Lincoln Navigator. "

You would have to get a Mercedes GL550 for $85,000 to match the performance of the Sequoia. Even a GL450 with nav and dvd is $73,000. Not $60,000.
  • "Now that you mention it, how do I hook an iPod to the audio system? I see the AUX jack but it looks like a female rca stereo plug?? Ummmmm, how do I hook an iPod to that? Please don;t say you connect it via the headphone jack and have to buy some sort of adaptor cable, that is lame... But if I do, what cable do I need??"

Well, you would need a cable that has a mini headphone jack on both sides. Try Radio Shack. Why is it lame to have to buy a $4 cable?
  • "I called the dealership and they say it is XM Equipped."

Generally you have to buy an add-on to get the XM to work. I think your car is XM ready but does not have the XM receiver. If it does not have a line item on the sticker that says XM, then it does not have it.