Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    When the first generation was in the design/production stage I was told by a factory rep the it would eventually replace the LandCruiser in the US. It hasn't happened yet but I believe it will disappear from the Toyota lineup and remain only in the Lexus brand. As hd said, LC sales are minimal in the US and declining.
    :shades:
    '
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Posts: 324
    I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the LC in the US within 3 years and drop the LX in 5 years. The LC won't be replaced and the LX will be replaced with a high-end version of the Sequoia.

The nominal advantage the LC/LX has over the new Sequoia in off-road capabilities is of minimal difference to the buyer's of these vehicles as most new buyer's of a new LC/LX are not going to take the $70+K vehicle off-road. I also think that based on the Sequoia's new drivetrain there is very little difference in off-road capability between the LC/LX and the new Sequoia. Even their weights are now comparable. Platinum Sequoia = 6045lbs & LX570 = 5995lbs.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    When you say the QX is "outdated", what exactly do you mean? Granted the overall design of the QX is 4 years old, but does that make it "outdated"? And with the rebates and incentives that you mentioned (and dealer discounting) the QX and Platimum are reasonably comparable pricewise. I would certainly think that most potential Platinum buyers would be looking at the QX as an alternative and vice-versa. Each one has plusses and minuses when you compare them.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Scaff, as of about 2 weeks ago the Toyota dealer in Flemington NJ has a Limited with 20" wheels on the lot.
  • I'm in a such a dilemma. I need to buy the wife a new car and she wants a full size SUV. I know the Sequoia is a great vehicle from a powertrain/driventrain, interior room/flexibility, reliability and depreciation (or lack thereof), but I simply CANNOT get over the lack of a luxury feel in the Platinum. If we're going to buy this vehicle, its going to be a Platinum with all the bells and whistles. We're the type of family that buys a car and keeps it for 8-10 years. As such, I don't want to look back and say, "man, I wish I had got the platinum so I could have the memory seats or the power tilt/telescope wheel etc.". The issue is that a fully loaded Platinum, even with superb negotiation is a $56K vehicle at best.

My wife and I like the red rock interior, but just can't get over the fact that the car (dash especially) does not feel luxurious. Additionally, the mish mash of painted silver pieces all over make the interior feel like an after thought. Even the door handles look sooo cheap (their size almost tends to exaggerate the cheapness)...couldn't they have used chrome door handle pulls? So, each time we ask ourselves, is this an interior befitting of a $56K vehicle?? We flat run into a wall. I have repeatedly asked the wife "do you like the car? You know its the top choice in terms of powertrain, interior flexibilit etc. " and she replies "yes, I know, but for $56K+ it just doesn't feel like a luxurious vehicle. If we're paying that much money, I wish it felt a little more luxurious. I even like the interior of the Armada better".

I'm so tired of the mental dilemma because I know that the vehicle is superb from every other angle. At this juncture, I've simply decided to put the car buying thing off b/c I can't stand the mental anguish. In the meantime, I'm driving a 14 year old Honda Accord with almost 200K miles because I had to give my wife my car (G35) as we now have a 14 month old and her safety is paramount to me. So, I continue to suffer in silence.

The argument that the vehicle price has a $24K spread between a base SR5 and a loaded platinum does not justify why the interior of the Platinum is the way it currently is. Could I love this car the way it is at $40K? Probably. Can I love it at $55K+, I'm having a really really hard time? Heck, even if they just get rid of all the silver painted surfaces and made them a flat black or textured black, that would do wonders. Some have said that the grey interior works better with the current layout....I personally can't stand the grey interior.

Herein lies the dilemma!!

Come on Toyota, how much more would it cost to outfit your newest top of the line model that would befit a vehicle with a "Platinum" designation!!!
  • eagle34eagle34 Posts: 22
    I love the Sequoia too. I have a Tundra and the drivetrain is awesome. But if you're spending mid 50's on an suv then you need to look around. The interior of the Sequoia kept me from buying it. We bought for the same reasons. Wife's car, roomy, safety, smooth ride and great features. Bought a QX because it is all the Sequoia is with great luxury to boot. QX interior is new for 08. Much improved. Everything is standard except dvd. Great value. Interior of Toyota is fine but not for 50k. Interior of QX is comparable to benz and lexus for much less. Warranty is better too. Free XM for 3years, better nav system. Wife loves it. The Toyota is a great vehicle in sr5 or stripped limited trim but interior has no business in the luxury sector.
  • The Toyota has a very modern dual overhead cam aluminium engine. The Escalade has a pushrod engine. Most japanese and european vehicles stopped pushrod engines atleast 10 years ago mainly because of their poor efficiency, noise
    and reliability issues.
  • toddhmtoddhm Posts: 35
    Vern, while I do not disagree with your comments, I think the harsh reality of the matter is that the cost benchmark associated with luxury vehicles has risen.

If you desire a true luxury vehicle these days, the price of admission is $70k and above in my opinion. Some models that come to mind are the Porsche Cayenne, Land Rover Range Rover, Mercedes GL, Audi Q7, etc. Even a loaded out Cadillac Escalade ESV MSRPs for $75k. Granted, these vehicles are not as well-rounded as the Sequoia, but they exude luxury nonetheless.

Besides, Toyota has never been a luxury brand. That's why they created Lexus. I personally think that the Sequoia Platinum is worth $56K. But I would gladly pay $75K - $80k for a Lexus version of the Sequoia if they were to produce one.
  • jabcjabc Posts: 20
    I think Edmund's spec information on the passenger and cargo space may be mistaken.

From Toyota's e-brochure :
    Legroom (F/2nd/3rd) : 38/35.4/34.5
    Cargo Space (2nd&3rd down/3rd down/3rd up) : 120.8/79.4/28.4

From Edmund :
    Legroom (F/2nd/3rd) : 42.5/36.4/35.3
    Cargo Space (2nd&3rd down/3rd down/3rd up) : 120.1/66.6/18.9

Some major discrepancy on the cargo space ...........
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,623
    I think you may be looking at the specs for the 2007 Sequoia.

Here's a comparison of the 07 and 08:

Vehicle Comparison

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• trebor129trebor129 Posts: 176
    I think for $56K and given that Toyota spent the budget on the large size, high end powertrain, etc... you cannot expect it to also have luxury. It would have to be $75K -- another $15,000.

But yet I understand all of your feelings and that is why, in the end, I changed my mind and got a loaded SR5. At $43K it made me have no lingering regrets about it not being nicer inside. Well almost none. My $30K Honda minivan is still nicer inside.

I do miss the power rear hatch but that is all that comes to mind. A Sienna AWD would be a better general purpose vehicle for nearly everyone.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    That pushrod engine that you dislike has a better mileage rating that the 5.7l Sequoia and is also quite reliable. In addition, it is more space efficient.

Overhead cam engines have their advantages, but don't discount pushrod engines. They can be just as reliable and they are smaller overall for the same displacement.
    A pushrod design can even be better than an OHV design. It all depends on the design and the quality of the parts. Just look at the Chevy Corvette which still retains a pushrod design because it is extremely reliable, lighter, less complex and stills delivers overwhelming power not matched by some of the most exotic OHV production engines on the planet.

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/8025/the-pushrod-engine-finally-gets-its-due- .html?al=156
  • Just to be clear...when I say luxurious, I'm not expecting the interior of an LX570 or a Range Rover. I understand the concept of "you get what you pay for"and what a $75k - $80K vehicle ought to look like. Its just that I don't think you get what you pay for, in terms of interior design, in the Sequioa Platinum for $56k.

Please understand, this is not a case of my trying to have my cake and it it too. Let me elaborate -- I'm just expecting something more organized, well thought out, with a dab of wood trim in strategic locations. Forgetting even the redesigned interior of the QX56 for a minute, even the redesigned dash layout of the Armada is a lot nicer than the Sequoia. I think Toyo tried to do something unconventional -- split colored dash (to segregate driver vs. passenger), gauge pods for the instrument, plastic silver trim pieces etc. and it just hasn't worked out well. I think getting rid of the painted silver (especially around the instrument cluster) or at least using it liberally, introducing a few chrome accents (again judiciously) and use of some wood trim (door panels, center console maybe) would do wonders for the interior.

Here's what really kills me -- in the face of rising gas prices and a dwindling auto segment, I strongly suspect Toyota WILL ultimately rework or at least improve the interior. Its just that it won't happen for the next 2 years or so, at which time, I'll feel completely shafted by the fact that I just coughed up $55K+ and now I have a dash design that is outdated and replaced with something nicer. This is what keeps me from taking the plunge.
  • Agreed, each have their positives and negatives.

Packaging, weight and simplicity of design are some of the key positives of the pushrod motors. The ability to rev and more precise control over valve timing are come of the positives of the overhead cam design. GM certainly have proved to the world how far they can push the envelope on the pushrod engine with the Corvette. Frankly, I'm more impressed by the Z06 motor than I am the ZR1, because the ZR1 achieves its output via forced induction, while the Z06 can actually rev and make power up to 7,000 rpm.

All this being said, besides the domestics almost every manufacturer has recognized the benefits of the ohv design and moved in this direct. Heck, even the CTS 3.6L engine (GM's "high feature" motor) is now an overhead valvetrain design.

Bottomline, this is a point less "mine is better than yours" argument that will go nowhere.
    "I'm in a such a dilemma."

Vern, if you are satisfied with the exterior, drivetrain and and interior layout but turned off by the "level of interior luxury", you might consider upgrades to the interior yourself.

If you wre prepared to spend $15K more for a more luxurious interior you might consider spending a $1-2K to upgrade the interior yourself. I don't know if you'd be interested in upgraded wood or "molded wood dash kits" but there are some nice options such as sending out your interior dash components to be upgraded that look pretty cool and would certainly help the Sequoia's interior stand out as luxurious.

Here's a few sites:

http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer/home.php
    http://www.dashkitspecialties.com/?gclid=CKn0z5PYipECFQwsOAodqF1DHg
    http://www.exoticwoodtrim.com/?gclid=CPj38pzYipECFQwsOAodqF1DHg
    http://www.nycdashes.com/
  • keg97keg97 Posts: 189
    Gotcha. I think that I almost understand it since you were able to explain it in very easy to understand (dumbed down enough for me!!!) and "average" person terms. Now, I follow your statement. I often hear the term "pushrod" when describing the GM engines and it is usually preceded by one of these terms- "old", "tried and true", "bullet proof". So it is obviously older technology.
    Thanks again!
    I'm not sure what he means by "outdated" either.

Consider...
    The Armada/QX both have a brand new hard-disk drive navigation unit
    Both have a 9GB hard drive so you can rip your cd's right to it
    Both have a memory card slot to play music off of
    Both have keyless entry and keyless "go"...ie no need for a key to get moving
    The QX has HID headlights

Is that outdated? All of these features are not found on any level of the Sequoia.

Mack...you're sounding like a car salesperson here ;)
    Try to be a bit more objective and not so over the top with your descriptors.
  • Thanks. My sense is I'll ultimately swallow real hard and buy the car on all of its other merits (which are many, I might add). It just pains me to see the interior and "toys" offered in the QX56 for the same money. My practical side will ultimately prevail due to the merits of the powertrain and drivetrain vs. the QX. After all, what ultimately matters (or should) is how a vehicle drives.
  • The only major manufacturers who are installing pushrod engines are Chevy and Chrysler. The reason why the other players stopped making pushrod engines and spent billions on new engines (including Ford) is because they are outdated, heavy, noisy and less efficient.

We would argue about the pros and cons about these engines but ultimately it is a question of money. Right now GM does not have the resources to invest in new engines.
    Did you drive the new Lexus LX570 yet? Our dealer does not have them in yet (east coast). Instead we looked at the LC and saw that it's size was significantly smaller than the Sequoia. That killed it for us.

I'm also shocked that you would say that the LX and LC 3rd rows are anywhere near the level of the Sequoia. We felt that they were very tight and the design factor was very disappointing. We could not believe that the redesign included the same old school fold the 3rd row up against the rear quarter windows. It was easier to accomplish than the previous generation, but not nearly as impressive/easy to use as the Sequoia design.
  • No, I have not driven or even seen the new Lexus LX570 and I stand corrected on my claims of the third row seating. I had read that the new Lexus would have all this and even thought I'd seen a demo video of them folding flat just like the new Sequoia but obviously I was wrong.
    We did look at the Land Cruiser and liked it except for the same old third row seat.
    The new Sequoia, beyond any shadow of a doubt, has the most room inside and the BEST third row seat available!
    Beyond the somewhat quirky dash, the Sequoia is absolutely the best overall choice to transport a large group and mechanically it is the most advanced and reliable. As far as luxury, if equipped in the Platinum fully loaded, it is right up there with the best given the dash looks more like a truck than a luxury vehicle.
    Again, sorry but I was wrong about the Lexus but it just justifies my choice of the Sequoia over all the others even that much more.
    No prob on the confusion....all of these makes/models do tend to run together at some point. Even what models have what features gets confusing. It makes me think of when the wife and I were shopping for homes/builders, we started taking the camcorder to record the various models so we could remember what builder did what. Maybe we need to start doing this with car shopping!!

Vern:
    It is interesting...we are leaning more towards the QX b/c of the interior and luxury toys. Our perspective is that we're willing to forgo the tad nicer powertrain/interior room/flexibility to get more of the toys that will make the day to day experience much more enjoyable. Different strokes for different folks!

Good luck w/your decision...
    "The reason why the other players stopped making pushrod engines and spent billions on new engines (including Ford) is because they are outdated, heavy, noisy and less efficient."

While I'm not necessarily an advocate for pushrod engines I do think its important that they at least be characterized accurately. Pushrod engines may be outdated however they are typically lighter and quieter than an OHV engine of similar power. OHV engines are more efficient because they can "breathe" more efficiently due to greater valve inlet/outlet area however they also have many more moving parts that typically weigh more and make more noise than a pushrod engine of similar power.
  • eagle34eagle34 Posts: 22
    Good points keg. Let me know when you pull that trigger. I love my tundra but if I didn't have it to enjoy that powertrain I might have choosen the Seq over the Q. Best of both worlds. Haul lumber and a** in the tundra and chill out in the luxury of the Q. Not that the Q won't get up and go either. Torque numbers are very close. Really can't go wrong either way. The new mdx was even a great vehicle just a little small for the family. All great choices for all tastes.
    I call them as I see them.

The hard drive nav unit, memory card slot, keyless "go" and HID lights are not something that Toyota owners want. You keep comparing it to the luxury brands when it's not a luxury vehicle. It's still a truck with three rows of seats.
    Maybe you need to take off your rose colored Toyota sales glasses :shades:

I can't believe that you would really say that "Toyota owners don't want luxury features". Guess that is why the Camry, Highlander, & LC have the keyless start feature, right? Two of those vehicles have a sticker price half that of the Sequoia. But "Toyota owners don't want those 'luxury' features", right?

I (and many others here) compare multiple vehicles of various makes (both "luxury" and "non-luxury") to their similarly priced peers. Nothing more....nothing less.

I WILL agree w/you that:
    1. Toyota is not a luxury make
    2. Sequoia is a "truck w/3 rows". The dash makes that abundantly clear since it looks just like the 25K Tundra.

That is why many luxury SUV buyers will look at the Sequoia and laugh at it's 62K MSRP. Drop it 10-15K and it looks totally different against it's peers.

Time will tell though. I do know that three of the dealers that I drive by on a semi-regular basis still have the same Platinum and loaded Limiteds on their lots that they had 3 weeks ago. I guess that the marketplace is not jumping all over these "non-luxury" but luxury priced 3-row trucks.
    "The hard drive nav unit, memory card slot, keyless "go" and HID lights are not something that Toyota owners want. You keep comparing it to the luxury brands when it's not a luxury vehicle. It's still a truck with three rows of seats. "

I'm not sure I get the logic of suggesting that somehow comparing a Sequoia to a "luxury" SUV is verbotten. I for one am selling a Denali XL (is this a luxury SUV?) and buying a Platinum Sequoia. I traded out of a BMW 745il to get the Denali XL. When shopping for a replacement for the Denali XL, I drove and considered the following vehicles: Escalade ESV, QX56, Denali XL, LX570, Navigator EL and the 08 Sequoia. Before the new model, I would not have placed the Sequoia on my shopping list as it didn't have the tow rating, hp, performance or interior space I wanted.

After comparing all of these vehicles, the Sequoia was a clear choice for my needs. I would have liked a more luxurious interior however the Platinum Red Rock isn't really that shabby if you ask me. If fake or real wood makes it a more luxurious interior, it can be added later. Adding a fold flat rear and 2nd row seat isn't something that can be added, if it didn't come from the factory. Getting more interior space is not something I could add to the QX. Adding HIDs to the Sequoia is a possibility in the future if I'm not satisfied with the lighting.

For my tastes, the Platinum Sequoia qualifies as a luxury SUV even if Edmund's doesn't rate it that way.
    Those are not "luxury" features. The Toyota Prius has the smart key feature standard. The Nissan Sentra, a compact entry level sedan has that feature also. So I don't consider it a luxury feature.
    So let them laugh at the the MSRP which it's not 62k but more like 58k on a loaded Platinum.
    Like I said before, it depends what region of the country you are in as in my region we are having to problem selling these pups.
    link title