Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Trebor, that's exactly why the Cold Kit is optional...some people (like you) want it, and others choose not to. If I lived in South Florida, to me the $200 would be a total waste. The higher amp battery does not have a longer service life. It's merely to offset the loss of power in a wet cell battery at cold temperatures...that's why it's part of the "cold kit". I have headlight washers on one of my current vehicles, live in New Jersey, and the only time I've found them to be useful is in the winter at night when the roads are being salted or sanded, although in those conditions they really do work well. For general cleaning of headlights, I've never been able to discern a noticeable difference.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Posts: 324
    "Yes, I am planning to replace our 02 Odyssey for a bigger and more capable vehicle. "

You may not have many choices when it comes to "a bigger" vehicle depending on your definition, since the Odyssey has one of the largest interiors on the market and in many respects larger than a Suburban.

I could be wrong, however I think the Honda may be one of the few passenger vehicles left on the market that can handle a full sheet of plywood on the floor with the seats folded and the hatch closed. I think the only others are full size vans and the Navigator/Expedition EL. I know the new Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV can no longer handle a sheet since their seats don't fold flat to the floor in the 2nd row.

I don't think there's any other minivan with this interior size. Handling a sheet of plywood may not be on everyone's "needs" list, but it is an interesting way to compare interior cargo capacities. Anyone know if there's any other vehicles other than the one's I mentioned that can handle a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood lying flat inside as cargo with all doors closed?
    If any dealer is telling you that ordering a Sequoia with an unusual set of options will potentially production of the vehicle, they are simply lying to you. First, they want the ability to complete the sale asap, and a truck with a standard option set will be easier to find and may not even need to be factory ordered. Second, in case they take delivery on the truck and the buyer does not complete the purchase, they don't want to risk being left with a truck that might be difficult to sell.
    "ordering a Sequoia with an unusual set of options "

What's your definition of "unusual" combination? Heck there aren't even that many options to choose from. Can anybody provide an example of what an "unusual set of options" might look like so that we aren't talking hypotheticals?

Obviously some options only come together as a package and that's understood (ie you can't get headlight washers unless you get the Cold Kit), but can anyone outline a single combination of individual options from the factory they believe can't be ordered on a new Sequoia?

http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/options.html
    An "unusual set of options" (my term) is any set of options inconsistent with the option packages as shown in the ebrochure for your geographical area on Toyota's website. Unless they have radically changed the plant in the last 12 months, given Toyota's flexible manufacturing system as applied at Princeton they can make any one of the three vehicles they assemble there in any order, in any color, and with any available set of options. Note that the "standard" option packages are different based on region. For example in New Jersey the Cold Weather Package is included in any listed option package for any 4 wheel drive Sequoia, irrespective of the trim level (SR5, Limited, Platimum). In Miami, many of the option packages shown for 4x4's don't include the Cold Weather Package (but some do). There are all sorts of option limitations, just look at the ebrochure. For example, you can't get the 20" wheels on the SR5, and you can't get the 6 CD indash unit in the Platinum due to the rear camera.
    "An "unusual set of options" (my term) is any set of options inconsistent with the option packages as shown in the ebrochure for your geographical area on Toyota's website."

Based on "your" criteria that would mean you can't order a Platinum Sequoia without a Rear Entertainment option since its in both of the 2 options listed on the Toyota website. The Toyota website does not allow the user to build a Platinum without including Option A or B for the NorthEast.

I know this to be innaccurate as I had an order for a Platinum that did not include the rear entertainment and subsequently changed it to include the rear entertainment (which is in my current order). The order was placed by the dealership and accepted by the dealer ordering system.

Based on my experience, it is not accurate to state that a buyer can only order the packages shown on the Toyota website. My view is that the builds on the Toyota website are the most likely builds you are to find on dealer showrooms and has nothing to do with placing orders through your local dealer...as I did.

Shark..by chance are you a Toyota salesman?
    I think you misread my post, we are in agreement. You absolutely can "special order" the truck the way you described. It's just very unlikely that you would ever find one sitting on a dealer's lot equipped that way. I'm not a Toyota salesman.
    Its also worth noting the following on the Toyota Sequoia build site (bottom right corner http://www.toyota.com/byt/pub/init.do?zip_code=08833&series_id=79):

"NOTE: This vehicle Configurator is designed to identify vehicles commonly available in your area. If you would prefer to purchase a vehicle with no options or additional options, please contact your local dealer to check for current availability or the possibility of placing an order for such a vehicle".

I think this addresses the matter quite well that if you want a Sequoia outfitted a particular way you should work with the dealership that's given you the deal you want and "build" the vehicle just the way you want it. Based on the experience with my dealer, I am confident that almost any build is possible with time being the only factor to consider.

For the dealership that gives you a "take it or leave it" attitude, my recommendation is to "leave it" and find a dealership more interested in your needs than selling you whats on their showroom floor or their dealer order sheet.
    Shark,

Thanks for the clarification...I misunderstood your point. My apologies.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Hd, you're totally misunderstanding my point. Our dealership goes out of its way to please customers. We can preference any car or suv we want we the options we want but if it's not configured that way on the TVO it's not happening. To wit: We preferenced an Avalon XLS magnetic grey with ivory interior. Haven't seen it. "normally not ordered in your area" This was back in November of 07 and guess what? we have not gotten a single mag grey in any interior color since then. Why? because the dumb computer keeps cycling to see if there will be one made and since it's not being made it's keeping us from getting mag grey XLS's. Until we go and delete the request it will keep cycling. The customer finally got tired of waiting and are now looking at alternate colors.
    Mack
    "NOTE: This vehicle Configurator is designed to identify vehicles commonly available in your area. If you would prefer to purchase a vehicle with no options or additional options, please contact your local dealer to check for current availability or the possibility of placing an order for such a vehicle".

That's just legalese and not indicative of the true reality.
    Mack
    That's right, and in theory there could be a problem with a "special" order if the plant was temporarily closed, or if they were having a supplier issue. For example, let's use the example of Lear (I think Lear manufactures the "cooled" seats) running short of Saddle colored Platimum front seats (it's unlikely this would ever happen) due to a fire in Lear's plant. If a dealer ordered such a vehicle, Toyota's production system would either not accept the order, or inform the dealer that the production of the vehicle was going to be delayed.
    "Hd, you're totally misunderstanding my point."

Its possible however you seem to be changing your point. I never made any reference to interior and exterior colors. My point was that you could build a Sequoia with any combination of "options" from the factory list and that if you disagreed to please suggest a combination you thought was not available.

Unless your position has changed, you suggested that it was only possible to order a Sequoia with the "packages" listed on the Toyota "Build it" website. I think both the website and my dealership have been clear in suggesting that if you want to build a Sequoia with a different set of options (or no options) you can do so by placing an order through your dealership instead of taking the "commonly available" combination already on the showroom floor.
    "That's just legalese and not indicative of the true reality.
    Mack "

Of course.....I should have known...the Toyota website couldn't be correct because only Mack the Car Salesman knows the "true reality". Boy.... am I glad I bought from the dealership I did.
    One other point with the Lear example....if Lear was going to be unable to provide seats for a long period of time, you might see Toyota install "Limited" seats (I'm assuming Limited seats would be compatable with the Platinum wiring harness), and it would be so noted on the window sticker along with a price credit. Something similar happened several years ago when there was a manufacturing problem with the alloy wheels for Camry XLE's...for a few days the factory installed wheels from a lesser Camry model and a credit showed up on the window stickers.
    Hey no need to get snooty. If you don't agree with what I say then say so. I'm just telling it to you the way it is. I've been selling Toyotas for 10 years, have been an internet manager, dealer exchanger, stock in clerk, order vehicles, you name it I've done it and I know how the system works. All you got was a Sequoia Platinum that was already being built. Nothing special about it. And another thing, I have nothing to gain by coming to this forum. I just come here to inform. Don't like it, don't read it.
    Mack
  • wrxcstiwrxcsti Posts: 21
    jabc,

I'm in a similar situation in terms of trunk space. With my 4th baby on the way, I really value the trunk space since the 3rd row will always be up. I have a 05 Odyssey which has a very good trunk space of approx 38.4 cu ft. I checked out the 08 Sequoia in person and the trunk space behind the 3rd row is really not that much (28.4 per Toyota's spec). The larger trunk space of the GM XLs is the ONLY reason that I'm still considering the Denali XL. I do plan to keep my Odyssey for everyday use but utilize the Sequoia or XL more for longer distance trips or family vacations (almost always long road trips hence the need for large trunk space).

As I said earlier, if the Sequoia makes an extended version that is another 15 inches longer, I'd buy it without any delay.
    "Hey no need to get snooty."

It just seemed abit unseemly to have one salesman suggesting another is lying and at the same time suggesting as a salesman your reality is more accurate then the information printed on the Toyota website.

I'm sure your experience has helped many customers, but perhaps Toyota's manufacturing has changed from your historical ordering experiences. Particularly given that the Sequoia engine and chassis plants are new plants and probably better designed to serve the American Sequoia marketplace. I suspect they are better suited to flexible manufacturing than your past experiences with models that are made and shipped from Japan.

I never suggested there was anything special about the Sequoia I ordered other than to share with others that I was not limited by my dealer to the 2 options packages described on the Toyota website. BTW it hasn't been built yet and the color Platinum with the interior and options I chose is scheduled for production on Feb 20. The order was placed by the dealer on Dec. 22

I think if your comments as a salesman were couched more as "your experience" versus portraying others as lying, your views might have been received differently.
    Whatever. Don't like the truth don't read it. There is no difference when preferencing not ordering we don't order from Toyota. They dictate to the dealers what is being produced with which options and take your pick. Only things we can add are PIO or DIO accessories. As I said your Sequoia is nothing special. It's just one that was already in the pipeling. And yes if you go to buyatoyota.com there are only two option packages available and you got one of them. Have a nice day.
    :P
    "Whatever. Don't like the truth don't read it."

As always, there are many "truths" on a forum like this.

There's the "truth" on the Toyota website that encourages potential buyers to contact a local dealer to configure their Sequoia as the prefer if they want to combine options or delete options not already listed in an option package:

There's the "truth" that other dealers are building and receiving Sequoias with option combinations that are not the standard combinations listed on the Toyota website: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sequoia/123052-2008-sequoia-2wd-5-7-sr5/

There's the truth that I had a Platinum Sequoia order accepted without a rear entertainment unit included when the Toyota website does not offer that as one of the option packages.

And there's the "truth" of a Toyota car salesman that says you can only purchase the option packages exactly as they are configured on the Toyota website regardless of the Note above.

The good news is that potential Sequoia buyers have choices when deciding which "truth" they plan to follow when spending their hard-earned money.