Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626 Troubles

Comments

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Well, they are doing an opposite config for the Mazda6 automatics. The 4cyl is a mazda designed ford built engine and the trans will be a Japanese Jatco. The 6cyl is a mazda modified Ford duratech mated again to a Jatco. Hopefully, they'll both be solid configurations.
  • Where will the new Mazda6's be built?

Ford motors? sounds iffy to me. the duratech sounds like a decent engine though.

My car has lots of miles but with a freshened engine and rebuilt tranny you'd figure it was good to go. At least thats what I was led to believe with Japanese cars. If nothing else the last few years have been a learning experience and I can appreciate car quality. I used to have a Chevy Cavalier for petes sake!!

My next car will be Japanese again but I'm really going to be stingy on the details this time. The wife and I prefer small cars. That new Nissan Sentra v-spec is one sharp looking car! I like the Protege 5 too. The new Mazda6 will be out of my price range.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    Edmunds just did a write-up on it here.

They say it will be built in the Flat Rock Michigan plant.

You may be surprised by the prices on the 6. It shouldn't be a big jump from the 626 and that starts at less than $2K more than a base Protege5.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• jskhojskho Posts: 107
    The 6 will be and the 626 has been built in Flat Rock, MI since the late 80s or early 90s. It is the same plant where the Probe and Cougar were built. 93 is the first year the car is classified as domestic (based on content). I have a 93 ES 5sp with built date in 12/92 and it is reliable. No recall was issued for this model.
    The 3.0 on the 6 is based on the Duratech with Mazda designed cylinder head supporting VVT. This setup is similar to the 3.0 on the Jaguar X/S-type which is Duratech based with Jaguar designed head, etc.

I have 145k on my loaded 5sp ES and I expect that it only worth about $3k now.
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    My son's 1997 said that the engine was made in the USA. Further research showed that it is already a Ford engine. The fact that the new 6 will have some specific Mazda modifications like variable valve timing will be good. Ford is letting Mazda design all of the smaller engines. A good move on their part.
    The both 626 engines were Japanese Mazda...not sure what you saw that said otherwise.
    Except for the Tribute, pickups, and Navajos, I think all engines in Mazdas till now are Mazda's own designs. They may be made in the USA and share lots of Ford parts but the design originates in Japan.
  • I realize the trans. on 94 mazda stink, ihave one with 131k and now it will not shift or go higher than 40 miles per hour or it times 60 mph
    Does anybody know that it's the trans. for sure or could be tranx range sensor?
    Thanks
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    Designed in Japan, manufactured in USA. That's what will happen with all of the new Engines.
    that is the plan, but that's not the case with your 626.
    And I left out MPV in my previous post...
    There hasn't been any test drives with the V6 6 yet since it is only available for the American market. Hope it would turn out well.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Posts: 765
    Flat Rock started doing the 626 for model year '93; they were already doing the MX-6 and Ford Probe there.

A lot of people are persuaded that the Mazda FS 2.0 and the Ford Zetec 2.0 are one and the same. They aren't even close, except in displacement.

Consumer Reports routinely slams the '94 626, which has been a "used car to avoid" for some time, but the '93 has generally fallen into that ambivalent category "average".
    I'm 3600 miles into this year's road trip in my 2000 626 LX, and I haven't had any - and I'm averaging just under 30 mpg. With the automatic and a whole lot of A/C, yet.

Just thought I'd interrupt the gloom and doom for a moment. We now return you to your regular programming.
  • petra02petra02 Posts: 33
    Do you think some of the problems you've experienced can occur in the MX-6, as well? I know the MX-6 had the same engine and transmission, so it wouldn't really surprise me.

Thanks in advance.
  • cpindercpinder Posts: 1
    I have a Mazda 626 (1989). It blows fuses and turns over but has no spark. I know there is a short but I don't know where or how to find it. Anyone able to help?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    What fuse(s) is/are blowing?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• pegasus3pegasus3 Posts: 4
    Well, as you know I had a rebuilt transmission installed about a month ago and coming back from a trip the OD light started flashing again and the tranny started slipping. Once we stopped and let it cool of a few minutes it stopped doing this. The warranty company thinks it might be a bad speed sensor (the over drive won't engage now). I could see where a bad speed sensor might be the problem with the over drive but would that also explain the slipping?
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    My question to MazdaUSA: I have a 2001 Mazda Protege ES with a manual transmission. The owners manual states GL5 or GL4 as the correct transmission fluid. I have heard that you are not supposed to use a GL5 that has sulpheric additives in it. Is this correct? If so, why is there no footnote regarding this in the owners manual?

MazdaUSA answer: "You've inquired about the recommended manual transaxle oil for your
    2001 Mazda Protegé. Mazda recommends using API Service GL-4 or GL-5
    transaxle oil for your vehicle as stated on page 10-2 of your Owner's
    Manual. Please understand, there is no way we can tell all the
    additives in the oils. The manufacture of the oil is supposed to make
    it to a certain specification level. As such, we recommend using a
    good
    quality GL-5 oil, and you should be fine. I hope this information is
    helpful for you."
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Reply to the response from MazdaUSA: Do sulpheric additives harm the synchros in the manual transmission of a 2001 Protege ES?"

Response from MazdaUSA: "Unfortunately, we don't have a chemical breakdown on any of the
    transaxle oils on the market. However, if you get a good quality manufacture oil, it should not have enough sulpheric additives to cause
    any damage to the transaxle components."

Finally! A definate answer. I can now sleep at night!
    Drivetrains are identical, and suspensions nearly so, so what holds for one will also hold for the other.