Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626 Troubles

Comments

• mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    Did your heat ducts to the defrost break or get disconnected?
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    I suppose that's possible, but unlikeley. I'll have to get under the dash & maybe take it apart to see if I can find anything obvious that's broken. I'm jsut wondering if there's a known problem or weak spot with this. If I can't figure it out, it will have to bo off to the mechanic.

Dave
  • jskhojskho Posts: 107
    When you press the defrost button, do you here the sound of the motor?
    I would think the motor is the likely culprit.
    Years ago I had a Plymouth where the flexible pipe that carried the air would become disconnected. We would have to reconnect it then tape it with Red-Greens universal solution (duct tape) and then it would work for a while.

Didn't have to pull out the dash.
  • Been doing brakes for two weekends now. Last weekend on a Protege, today on the 626 (95 L4, ATX). The idiots at the last place I took it for the state inspection cross-threaded two lug-nuts, so after trying to get them out, I broke the studs. So the break job turned into a stud replacement. Then I realized I needed a 7 mm allen to remove the caliper. Oh, well, I am fortunate to have a parts shop nearby, so I walked, got all the extra stuff I needed, walked back, and proceded to do everything.

It went well at the end. One thing I noticed, although I saw the guide plates for the pads (the convoluted metal plates), I did not see any V-springs. Every place I read talks about them, and I remember the Protege I did last weekend had them too. Did certain models did not use them? Should I have them there? I figure that if the pads are not springing back, the brakes would drag like crazy, and it seemed (and seems) to brake fine - No drag whatsoever. Should I get them and put them there? The problem I had that prompted me to do the brakes (vibrations form warped rotors) is gone, so I figure everything is OK. Tell me if it is not...

Guillermo
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Pads don't "spring back". Guide plates take up any clearance between the ends of the pads and their supports, preventing the pads from rattling over bumps or clunking due to clocking when they're applied. They also reduce wear on the buttress where the pad ends contact.

All conventional disc brakes retract the piston and provide automatic self adjustment the same way. The lathe-cut high pressure seal between the caliper housing and piston distorts under brake apply as the piston moves outward, then relaxes and pulls the piston back slightly when pressure's released. That provides running clearance for the pads, IF a caliper piston isn't seized and the caliper slides are free and lubricated.
  • OK, got it, and understand it. But back to the original question: should or shouldn't I have V-springs? I don't see why they were there on the tiny Protege, but not on the 626...

G.
  • I seem to recall that my '93 626 didn't have them either.

I'm still running on the original pads on my 2000 (which can't last too much longer), so I can't speak for it.
  • Windowphobe, thanks for the info. As usual, you are probably right. What I figure is that when the pistons retract (making the caliper move back), the anti-squeal on the pads will make them move with it, and the guide plates will also help. However, the 'drawing' in chilton's has them, and when I called NAPA they tell me that my year model needs them (their caliper hardware kit has them...).

Anyone else out there has experience with this?
  • 2001 ES with discs on front, shoes on rear. Anyone had any experience with replacements--best to use, e.g., braking performance, wear, noise, etc.?
    have worked very well for me on replacement brakes. They last a lot longer for me than the original type.
  • Recently heard 626's since 1995 have cronic transmission problems. To the point a class action suit was filed. Has anyone heard this too?
    I understand that the later models are much better than the early to min 90's auto tranny's. Thank heavens my 1991 is a stick. Only problem I've had is that I had a seal between the transmission and the floor that wore out after 10 years.
  • The threat is ubiquitous, but you never hear of one of these actually going to trial, and inasmuch as most of the failures are out of warranty, I doubt you ever will.

'94 and '95 are the peak years for tranny troubles.
  • Thanks for the input. Loved my 92...it was a manual. Hate my 97 w/automatic. Wondering if I should dump it now or wait another year like I hoped. I know it has engine sludge but it runs OK for now. Idle pulses low and power not great.
    If it's not too bad contact www.auto-rx.com. I had a Dodge that had mild sludge due to a small head gasket leak and this stuff cleaned it out and made the engine run much smoother. Some of the Toyota owners also used it for their vehicles as well.
  • bill_lbill_l Posts: 38
    My 88' 626 runs great. But recently it is sometimes overheating. I can feel the upper and lower rubber pipes are stiff, seems very high pressure in them. Sometimes it happened after 10 mins local driving, but sometimes nothing happened even after half an hour. Could it be head gasket broken or radiator cap failure, or...? Can anyone imagine what could be the problem? Any comments will be highly appreciated.
  • tdreotdreo Posts: 17
    I just bought a new 2002 626 4 cylinder automatic.
    I had a 2001 626 4 cylinder automatic that was about 1.5 years old that went to my son who just got his license. The 2001 had the transmission replaced at 21,000 miles. From day one I had noticed an "oil" smell while driving. I was told that "there is no oil smell" so I changed dealers with my complaint. The new dealer re-routed the tranny vent line and most of the smell went away. I guess the real problem was the tranny was getting too hot and that was causing the smell, although the fluid level was always fine. To get to the point, my 2002 now has an extra cooler for the transmission (mounted in front of the radiator. I guess better late than never, thanks Mazda! I have put 200 miles on it with no "smell". I feel confident there should be no tranny problems in this 626. I guess I should add the cooler to my sons car now so he won't have any problems.

Tony
    always adds an extra cooler if the transmission has to have replacement or serious service. They say it's well worth the money.

I would also consider adding Lubegard. It cools the fluid and reduces corrosive acids.
  • After 144,000 miles, almost time to hand it over to the kids. I just might get them a Protege, I love my 626 so much. The only complaint is that four times I have had front end problems, the first time Mazda replaced the axle and the whole assembly N/C factory ordered upgrade. Seems that the boots are plastic and need replacing fairly frequently. Still original Clutch, engine has never been cracked open...uses 1qt of oil every 3500 miles. Even my garage floor is [non-permissible content removed] and span. Is it luck?